Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Faction Minor Faction Survey

Why not make the map idea planet-based specifically rather than bothering with the hexes at all? It might necessitate a bit of a return to the great amoebas and blobs of chaos of old, but I feel like showing just linkages of planets that a minor faction has a presence on would make a bit more sense than full hexes, and would probably be an easier way to show overlap when multiple minors have a presence on the same planet—and I'd rather phrase it as a presence in the space, rather than territory claimed, for most cases. If two minors want to fight over the same planet for influence then that's between them, but actually claiming territory on the wider scale is something that I'd argue should be withheld for majors, as part of the size and strength difference between majors and minors in an in-game sort of outlook. Most minors that weren't subfactions, as I recall, really only held to the idea that they had one system to call their home base, until they built up enough to go major and claim hexes outright.

It'd be up to you whether you'd try to make it match up with current territories on the major faction map—at least in the case of the Judges, with how Cotan's trying to build up some alliances with different groups through the Outer Rim, it'd be fun to see a growing spiderweb/slime mold of Judge influence stretching through multiple different major factions' territories, having to reroute around another that isn't willing to work with them, that sort of stuff.

Would probably also end up being a ton of work, at least for that second paragraph, but y'know, a man can dream.

Let me do y’all a solid, that I do for the Staff team, for the forum, for everyone but myself bc well, y’all need to vent sometimes and I’m the biggest pillow to scream in.

Staff’s not in on this, nothing’s being forced down your throats. This is a group of writers proposing they do something for themselves and others interested.

If you don’t like it...

...leave the thread. There’s no debate to win here. Let creatives be creative.

Why not make the map idea planet-based specifically rather than bothering with the hexes at all? It might necessitate a bit of a return to the great amoebas and blobs of chaos of old, but I feel like showing just linkages of planets that a minor faction has a presence on would make a bit more sense than full hexes, and would probably be an easier way to show overlap when multiple minors have a presence on the same planet—and I'd rather phrase it as a presence in the space, rather than territory claimed, for most cases. If two minors want to fight over the same planet for influence then that's between them, but actually claiming territory on the wider scale is something that I'd argue should be withheld for majors, as part of the size and strength difference between majors and minors in an in-game sort of outlook. Most minors that weren't subfactions, as I recall, really only held to the idea that they had one system to call their home base, until they built up enough to go major and claim hexes outright.

It'd be up to you whether you'd try to make it match up with current territories on the major faction map—at least in the case of the Judges, with how Cotan's trying to build up some alliances with different groups through the Outer Rim, it'd be fun to see a growing spiderweb/slime mold of Judge influence stretching through multiple different major factions' territories, having to reroute around another that isn't willing to work with them, that sort of stuff.

Would probably also end up being a ton of work, at least for that second paragraph, but y'know, a man can dream.

I keep this in mind. Thanks, brother.

Slapping an image on a planet feels like branding a planet, to me. It definitely more than not gives off the impression of ownership in my opinion. Whether it's 2 hexes, 3, 4 or even 5, it's just showing how common you'll find a member in this area. Also with the fact I won't include custom planets, hexes still work. I can put a hex colored in random space, which in the directory will still list said custom planet, just the map won't show a planet there.

We won't be including anything from the major faction map, I mean, as long as I'm making the map (and I don't mind stepping out of the seat). Trying to integrate the major map in any way will definitely allude to some people making them think we have some sort of official capacity. I don't want to upset staff or confuse people. We're entirely separate.

Furthermore, your minor faction can have a presence anywhere you want. The directory will list all factions in an area. But if you try to say the entire galaxy we're gonna look at that with shifty eyes.

I know I've said it a lot and others think it. But this isn't territory, it's not ownership. When you walk into town, do you see more sheriff deputies, or more police officers? When you walk into a town, is there a local gang or motorcycle group that is well known? So well known that they can influence the decisions made by authorities or can just cause fright in people if they hear someones name? The major factions own the planet. Whether in-character you want to say you own it is entirely up to you. You can say in your personal roleplays that there is no major faction planting a flag on your planet. But at that point, you're really not being cooperative, and that's not what we're about. There's eventually going to be a major faction above your head in your factions capitol. You should try to work with them, move out, or cause rebellions. If you want to say "I am the sole ruler of this planet, and you have to accept that," unfortunately you need to go major for that. We're not here to tell people they have to listen to another minor factions laws because they have the most presence.

The term "claiming territory" is now colloquial to "requesting primary influence" its just easier to say.

Slapping an image on a planet feels like branding a planet, to me. It definitely more than not gives off the impression of ownership in my opinion.

Overall I'd prefer a planetary focus over a hex focus in general for this sort of thing. Smaller scale, etc. etc., give me my amoebas, dammit. I also don't think that it'd be giving off the impression of ownership any more than saying that "x group is the predominant one in this hex" (which, while I double check, doesn't actually seem to be the manner you all are taking it in, it seems that some people have certainly understood it that way).

We won't be including anything from the major faction map, I mean, as long as I'm making the map (and I don't mind stepping out of the seat). Trying to integrate the major map in any way will definitely allude to some people making them think we have some sort of official capacity. I don't want to upset staff or confuse people. We're entirely separate.

Such is life, I suppose. I can see people assuming this has some sort of vaguely official capacity no matter what putting it on a map, but that one's up to you.

Furthermore, your minor faction can have a presence anwhere you want. The directory will list all factions in an area. But if you try to say the entire galaxy we're gonna look at that with shifty eyes.

[insert shrug here that i'm too lazy to copy-paste from discord right now]

At least with the Judges, there's a reason I'm trying to build up to having alliances and such that help spread them through the Rim, rather than just saying they're already all around everywhere, lmao. Of course, there's always the non-faction minor faction of the Spacer's Guild, which reasonably could have galactic-level presence, given that, well...

It's a spacer's guild.

I know I've said it a lot and others think it. But this isn't territory, it's not ownership. When you walk into town, do you see more sheriff deputies, or more police officers? When you walk into a town, is there a local gang or motorcycle group that is well known? So well known that they can influence the decisions made by authorities or can just cause fright in people if they hear someones name? The major factions own the planet. Whether in-character you want to say you own it is entirely up to you. You can say in your personal roleplays that there is no major faction planting a flag on your planet. But at that point, you're really not being cooperative, and that's not what we're about. There's eventually going to be a major faction above your head in your factions capitol. You should try to work with them, move out, or cause rebellions. If you want to say "I am the sole ruler of this planet, and you have to accept that," unfortunately you need to go major for that. We're not here to tell people they have to listen to another minor factions laws because they have the most presence.

The term "claiming territory" is now colloquial to "requesting primary influence" its just easier to say.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have talked about claiming territory or ownership if those weren't the exact words that were used in previous posts by the people running this whole deal. That's why I set out to stress the idea of presence/influence versus ownership. It might be easier to say claiming territory, but the likelihood that various people get the wrong idea and misunderstand it is just too high, imo, and there's bound to be people that will want to try and claim that people have to listen to their laws and the like. It goes hand in hand with the already-presented idea of two minors skirmishing with each other for influence, or otherwise planning out diplomatic ideas and the like to see who has the planet "under their minor," as Bastard Bastard already put it in one post.

If two factions want to fight for influence or anything like that, that's all well and good, but using the words ownership and territory and the like as you guys have been, complete with the hex idea, makes it seem too much like the map game and the way major factions do things. As for just colouring hexes a different colour from the all the rest to show "this hex has influence from minor factions" without showing anything specific to the minors, I'd actually prefer just a bit more specificity, rather than having to go and check the directory afterwards to be like "okay but who are actually the factions in this dark blue hex rather than the light blue empty ones?", which is why I'd prefer a planetary focus.

And amoebas and slime molds.

Bring back 2016 Chaos maps is what I'm saying. If you take nothing else away from this post, I want you to take that away. It's important to me.

Overall I'd prefer a planetary focus over a hex focus in general for this sort of thing. Smaller scale, etc. etc., give me my amoebas, dammit. I also don't think that it'd be giving off the impression of ownership any more than saying that "x group is the predominant one in this hex" (which, while I double check, doesn't actually seem to be the manner you all are taking it in, it seems that some people have certainly understood it that way).

Such is life, I suppose. I can see people assuming this has some sort of vaguely official capacity no matter what putting it on a map, but that one's up to you.

[insert shrug here that i'm too lazy to copy-paste from discord right now]

At least with the Judges, there's a reason I'm trying to build up to having alliances and such that help spread them through the Rim, rather than just saying they're already all around everywhere, lmao. Of course, there's always the non-faction minor faction of the Spacer's Guild, which reasonably could have galactic-level presence, given that, well...

It's a spacer's guild.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have talked about claiming territory or ownership if those weren't the exact words that were used in previous posts by the people running this whole deal. That's why I set out to stress the idea of presence/influence versus ownership. It might be easier to say claiming territory, but the likelihood that various people get the wrong idea and misunderstand it is just too high, imo, and there's bound to be people that will want to try and claim that people have to listen to their laws and the like. It goes hand in hand with the already-presented idea of two minors skirmishing with each other for influence, or otherwise planning out diplomatic ideas and the like to see who has the planet "under their minor," as Bastard Bastard already put it in one post.

If two factions want to fight for influence or anything like that, that's all well and good, but using the words ownership and territory and the like as you guys have been, complete with the hex idea, makes it seem too much like the map game and the way major factions do things. As for just colouring hexes a different colour from the all the rest to show "this hex has influence from minor factions" without showing anything specific to the minors, I'd actually prefer just a bit more specificity, rather than having to go and check the directory afterwards to be like "okay but who are actually the factions in this dark blue hex rather than the light blue empty ones?", which is why I'd prefer a planetary focus.

And amoebas and slime molds.

Bring back 2016 Chaos maps is what I'm saying. If you take nothing else away from this post, I want you to take that away. It's important to me.

So, I've been talked to and I shouldn't say too much on what hasn't been cemented in just yet. I'll do a small response, though, as I feel it's necessary.

I apologize, I don't know what you're referencing about amoebas. I'm also not understanding this "(which, while I double check, doesn't actually seem to be the manner you all are taking it in, it seems that some people have certainly understood it that way)" which is entirely on me, I have difficulties. But, maybe I do understand it. If so, I've stated my feelings on this exact subject, even if it seems I've contradicted myself. I want you to know while my verbiage is horrible, my intentions are pure and meaningful. Here's my stance on claiming/territory.
Truthfully, my biggest peeve is the Major Faction Invasions. They become a priority for my writers, and we can't do our private roleplays, or the roleplays I made for my characters progression because they are preoccupied. Invasions become the priority, even if one Major does 1 invasion, that's 12 invasions, of which some of my writer friends have multiple characters in different major factions. It can stress and exhaust them. This Minor Faction Map Game will not be part of fights. If any fights occur, it's solely up to the Minor Factions to dish them out and to come to conclusions. And besides, if your Minor Faction loses its influence sphere, just go take another planet. It's not like you're defeated and snuffed out of existence.

"It might be easier to say claiming territory, but the likelihood that various people get the wrong idea and misunderstand it is just too high"

I'm quite sure Errant will make concrete explanations/definitions/proper verbiage. My position is just making the map.

"there's bound to be people that will want to try and claim that people have to listen to their laws and the like"

You can do that right now, without the map. Two things exist that prove that it really isn't possible to do, actually three.
  • Character Creation Rule: Your character is not God, he is not immortal and he is not invincible.
  • General Roleplay Rule: Powergaming
  • General ability to create a private roleplay without knowing a faction or group exists and the fact they are not allowed to join

"using the words ownership and territory and the like as you guys have been, complete with the hex idea, makes it seem too much like the map game and the way major factions do things."

I've been encouraging people to find ways to create stories. Skirmishes between minor factions is one of them. I don't control what someone thinks. Just because they read a rule and think otherwise, doesn't mean I'm the one at fault. But you could make the argument that I should be responsible for my community. I don't know. I've never done anything like this before. But I don't think it's my responsibility to pull someone over and tell them they can't roleplay a certain way.

"okay but who are actually the factions in this dark blue hex rather than the light blue empty ones?"

I'm putting the faction name on the hex that their color touches. If you want to know about the lesser known factions, you'd have to check the directory. This is the same way it'll be with a map that doesn't use hexes. Names and icons take space. The map has limited space.

Edit: Correction, I planned to put the name next to the hex. I don't know what the final map design will be anymore.

Definitely Not Tefka

Totally A New Member
stops holding breath

WHY DONT WE SHOW BAR GRAPHS OF MINOR FACTION INFLUENCE OVER DIFFERING REGIONS OF SPACE.

THIS WOULD KEEP IN LINE WITH THE THEME OF “INFLUENCE”, DETER FROM THE IDEA THAT MINORS PHYSICALLY POSSESS MAP SPACE, AND INTRODUCE THE IDEA THAT SOME MINORS HOLD MORE INFLUENCE IN REGIONS THAN OTHERS THUS CREATING INTERACTIVE POWER DYNAMICS.

IT’D ALSO BE ALOT EASIER TO CREATE A SIMPLE .PSD OF MAP REGIONS AND REPLICABLE BAR GRAPHS.

IM NOT STAFF I WAS NEVER HERE.

holds breath, goes blue

stops holding breath

WHY DONT WE SHOW BAR GRAPHS OF MINOR FACTION INFLUENCE OVER DIFFERING REGIONS OF SPACE.

THIS WOULD KEEP IN LINE WITH THE THEME OF “INFLUENCE”, DETER FROM THE IDEA THAT MINORS PHYSICALLY POSSESS MAP SPACE, AND INTRODUCE THE IDEA THAT SOME MINORS HOLD MORE INFLUENCE IN REGIONS THAN OTHERS THUS CREATING INTERACTIVE POWER DYNAMICS.

IT’D ALSO BE ALOT EASIER TO CREATE A SIMPLE .PSD OF MAP REGIONS AND REPLICABLE BAR GRAPHS.

holds breath, goes blue
ALSO LEARN TO LET PEOPLE DOWN, GIVE OUT QUICK NO’S SO YOU CAN KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL, AND GENERALLY BE OKAY WITH DISAPPOINTING THE LOUD MINORITY OR YOU’LL NEVER GET VERY FAR.

NOTSTAFFNEVERHERE

collapses

Thank you, Definitely Not Tefka Definitely Not Tefka

We'll keep this in mind going forward! Try to avoid the big boss, he's not a fan of caps lock.

tenor.gif

stops holding breath

holds breath, goes blue

tenor.gif

stops holding breath

holds breath, goes blue

Me and most of the people in my question thread wanted to do something like this. Even started a minor faction check in to get it rolling only to have this survey pop up mere hours latter. I think the timing may have been off so it all got muddled. I think the two approaches became confused and mixed together, when they really were two different things. They are just two ways of tackling the issue of minor faction visibility.

I am still willing to do ^ above idea and make a directory and chain of events graphics and use my newscaster to showcase influence of minor factions if there is interest in it as a separate thing from this map idea. If that’s the case though someone make a new thread or DM me so we don’t derail this thread. This thread was started for a map so I think it’s only fair to let people make the map if they want.

Me and most of the people in my question thread wanted to do something like this. Even started a minor faction check in to get it rolling only to have this survey pop up mere hours latter. I think the timing may have been off so it all got muddled. I think the two approaches became confused and mixed together, when they really were two different things. They are just two ways of tackling the issue of minor faction visibility.

I am still willing to do ^ above idea and make a directory and chain of events graphics and use my newscaster to showcase influence of minor factions if there is interest in it as a separate thing from this map idea. If that’s the case though someone make a new thread or DM me so we don’t derail this thread. This thread was started for a map so I think it’s only fair to let people make the map if they want.

It was not started for a map, no. It's simply an idea on the table.

I intend on putting together a directory as well using results from this survey and people who later join the discord I've begun to put together. If you'd like to work together to create the directory, without having any interaction with a map, or graph, or any other idea, I wouldn't be against that.

It was not started for a map, no. It's simply an idea on the table.

I intend on putting together a directory as well using results from this survey and people who later join the discord I've begun to put together. If you'd like to work together to create the directory, without having any interaction with a map, or graph, or any other idea, I wouldn't be against that.

I guess I’m confused. If this wasn’t started for a map or a separate idea then why make a second thread, and a completely different survey than the one I made on the board? You completely detracted efforts from a thread I had already made and created a confusion where we have multiple threads discussing the same thing and multiple places people are supposed to check into.

I do not want to collaborate and if I’m being honest it’s because I was completely bowled over in my attempts to do this. I was approached by a different member on Discord and asked if I minded If a map got made and of course I said no because I had no interest in doing a map. I had still intended to discuss a directory, influence score, and influence chains in my question thread up until this thread appeared. I was never asked to combine my survey or add to it. I was never asked what the goal was or what my plans were. Instead mere hours after I started a survey it was overrun by this one. Next I was told nobody wanted to take over my idea in the very post that was taking over my idea. Now you are offering a collaboration after you already rolled over my thread and never asked me what my plan was or how you could help. I just don’t see what the point of this was. If you wanted to work on the idea I had already stated then why did you derail my efforts and make your own thing instead of coming to me and getting involved? If it was for a separate idea (like a map) then it made sense but if it’s the same thing I was already doing then why start it over? It’s confusing.

To avoid confusion I’m just stepping away from this. I think the confusion will actually undermine what was trying to be accomplished. I do not want that because at the end of the day all I really want is to know which minor factions are active and what they are doing with their lives.

*edited for grammar and clarity

Last edited:
I guess I’m confused. If this wasn’t started for a map or a separate idea then why make a second thread, and a completely different survey than the one I made on the board? You completely detracted efforts from a thread I had already made and created a confusion where we have multiple threads discussing the same thing and multiple places people are supposed to check into.

I do not want to collaborate and if I’m being honest it’s because I was completely bowled over in my attempts to do this. I was approached by a different member on Discord and asked if I minded If a map got made and of course I said no because I had no interest in doing a map. I had still intended to discuss a directory, influence score, and influence chains in my question thread up until this thread appeared. I was never asked to combine my survey or add to it. I was never asked what the goal was or what my plans were. Instead mere hours after I started a survey it was overrun by this one. Next I was told nobody wanted to take over my idea in the very post that was taking over my idea. Now you are offering a collaboration after you already rolled over my thread and never asked me what my plan was or how you could help. I just don’t see what the point of this was. If you wanted to work on the idea I had already stated then why did you derail my efforts and make your own thing instead of coming to me and getting involved? If it was for a separate idea (like a map) then it made sense but if it’s the same thing I was already doing then why start it over? It’s confusing.

To avoid confusion I’m just stepping away from this. I think the confusion will actually undermine what was trying to be accomplished. I do not want that because at the end of the day all I really want is to know which minor factions are active and what they are doing with their lives.

*edited for grammar and clarity

I don't know what you wanted to do at first. The initial thread was a map idea, then after I worked a few hours on a map you said no map, then you had some idea but just wanted to get an idea of what minor factions were available. When we started our thread, you jumped over here to spread whatever idea you had and implicitly stated you would have no part in this. Then you said you wanted to make a directory, and when we said we wanted to make a directory and invite you, you implicitly wanted no part in it.

Our initial intent was to make a map. At bare minimum, we want an info graphic, but with all the participating minor factions, we want to ask them what they want because we want to engage with the community and hear all their voices. If the majority ask for a bar graph instead, they'll get a bar graph. You explicitly stated you would only be doing a directory, and never showed any intentions of an info graphic or map.

Now I'm going to be straight with you. I wanted to apologize but I no longer know what to apologize for. We have done everything to communicate decently with you and offer ideas to you, and even offer to work with you. You have multiple times come over into our thread about a complaint or to actually detract for our thread to gain attention on yours, which we never did.

Like Tefka said, there is nothing to debate here. No ideas were stolen, no problems created, at least on our end. The map idea has been asked numerous times, and the directory idea was already made once. No one derailed you, we are allowed to have our own ideas. If you have something to complain about or suggest, message us directly or on the discord, as filling this thread with this isn't helpful. If this isn't what you want, then maybe you should leave.

Last edited:
Bao Quayan Bao Quayan your entire post ignores the question of why even start this thread if I was already doing it? One of you is saying it was made for a map, the other is saying it was made for everything. Which is it? I was already doing a directory and had already posted a survey only for this new survey to show up hours latter. Nobody asked me or expressed a desire to change my survey before this thread appeared. Suddenly there was a second survey with no clear answer on if it was exclusively for a map or not. At that point I handed over the keys because what I had already done was already dismissed with the creation of this second survey.

What it did, (intentional or not) was take this idea over and roll right over the efforts I was already making. There is no debate. It’s what was done.

I am going to leave though because I do want you to be able to make something for minor factions. Good luck.

Last edited:
Bao Quayan Bao Quayan your entire post ignores the question of why even start this thread if I was already doing it? What it did, (intentional or not) was take this idea over and roll right over the efforts I was already making. There is no debate. It’s what was done.

I am going to leave though because I do want you to be able to make something for minor factions. Good luck.

giphy.gif

"Our initial intent was to make a map. At bare minimum, we want an info graphic"

Our initial intent was to make a map. At bare minimum, we want an info graphic, but with all the participating minor factions, we want to ask them what they want because we want to engage with the community and hear all their voices. If the majority ask for a bar graph instead, they'll get a bar graph. You explicitly stated you would only be doing a directory, and never showed any intentions of an info graphic or map.

You are fundamentally and categorically wrong. If you ask a question and you get answered, it isn't helpful to say "that's not what I asked."

When you make a stance and say "I'm not continuing this because suchnsuch" you are more or less doing the "I'm gonna say why you're wrong, but not continue, which means if you continue this, you're bad," and that is horrible. I've seen it done within the past week on this board and it is not cool.

You admitted that we did not take over your idea. And this directory idea wasn't yours to be stolen. In your thread I linked a directory that was already created.

Last edited:
You came to me on Discord asking about a map, not a directory. I did not think you were taking over my idea of a map. At the time of our conversation I’d already started a survey and was moving forward with a directory.

Like I said before it’s confusing now. You said this thread was created for a map but a few posts earlier someone else said they are doing a directory and everything. There has been a lot of miscommunication and I apologize for any part I played in that. Let’s just straighten it out here and move forward.

You guys do the list, map, directory, info graphic, etc whatever is needed. I will use my original thread to do the idea I had with my Holly character. This will lead to fun IC stories for me and others and then hopefully by your efforts we end up with some cool directory, map, etc thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom