Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Denied Messala's Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Organization Name: Messala's Children
  • Classification: Non-profit group
  • Affiliation: Arrius Messala
  • Description: "Messala's Children" is a label given to anyone who has been taken in/created by the Sith Lord Arrius Messala and experimented upon in an attempt to make the subject Force sensitive. This involves a combination of science and Sith alchemy.
GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
SOCIAL INFORMATION
  • Hierarchy: Arrius Messala, to whom the Children owe everything, is lord and master, mother and father. So long as they do not displease him, he will always take care of them.
  • Membership: This group only includes those who have gained (at least) semi-stable Force sensitivity through the experiments of Arrius Messala. Currently, all members are underage, ranging from teenagers to infants. The group is primarily made up of children who were created in Messala's lab, but a few are orphans or children willingly given up to Messala by their families.
  • Climate: The children's quarters at Messala's estate have no trace of uncanniness to them. Each child's room is well-stocked with toys, books, and electronics. The walls are painted in bright colors, and there are plenty of windows to let natural sunlight in. Likewise, the schoolroom incorporated into the grounds resembles a typical classroom, the same sort that might be found on any other Sith-Imperial planet, though the teachers are all droids. The kids are permitted to roam freely and have been outside Cophrigin V on "field trips" - they aren't kept cooped up inside all day.
  • Reputation: Few people know about this group. Up until recently, it was an exclusive secret known only to Messala and his associates. The botched abduction and experimentation of Miri caused the group to become known to others, and the secret has been traveling in the form of rumors and hearsay ever since. Because no one likes the idea of experimenting on children, those who have heard of it tend to hold a negative view of Messala's Children and especially Messala himself.
  • Curios: Most of the children have been given shield talismans and other such protective amulets, to the point where it could be considered standard issue equipment.
  • Rules: Messala is raising the Children as Sith, but he intentionally creates an open-ended environment for them. He wants them to surprise him with creativity and individuality.
  • Goals: Arrius Messala set out to replicate the circumstances of his own existence, albeit with improved methods and better results. He has been experimenting on children and embryos in an effort to create permanent artificial Force sensitivity. So far he has only been successful a handful of times, though he is still trying and still improving his methods.
MEMBERS
  • Vaslav Florescu - An unwanted child born to a wealthy and influential Sith-Imperial family, custody of Vaslav was given to Messala after the Sith Lord became interested in his case. Of all the Children, he is considered the strongest in the Force. Interestingly, he has developed a Light Side aura, which Messala has not attempted to discourage. Rather, he has successfully taught the boy how to use the Light with Sith methods, drawing inspiration from the Light Sith, an obscure sect defined by their hatred of the bloodlust and backstabbing among mainstream Sith.
  • Maia - Currently the youngest of the Children, Maia was created in Messala's lab and grown in a Dvirat Motina. The Force flows freely through her, unaligned and unhindered, and she tends to use it to get her way in the form of telekinetic temper tantrums.
  • Elric - Elric was a war orphan taken by the Sith during the conquest of Iego. An overseer mistakenly believed the boy was Force sensitive and selected him for training. When the error was discovered by the terrified overseer, Messala stepped in and offered to handle the situation before news of it reached the man's superiors. Messala then smuggled Elric to Cophrigin. He is now almost as strong in the Force as Vaslav.
  • Nineveh - The daughter of a Sith Changeling employed in Messala's service. Her parents are not exactly active in her life, although her father habitually keeps watch from the shadows, disguised as a household servant at Tintagel.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Following the dissolution of Project Warlock, many of its scientists went on to lend their research and discoveries to other scientific endeavors. But just as many worked to hide the results of the project, scattering the Force sensitive children bred in the laboratory on Kiva across the galaxy.

One of the children, Arrius Messala, became a Sith Lord... and something of a scientist himself. Seeking to learn the truth of his origins, he tracked down any of those involved that he could find. From them he learned the method of his making and gained the means of recreating it. Thus was an obsession born.

Using the project which created him as a foundation, Arrius Messala has sought to make Force sensitive beings artificially. Much to Messala's disappointment and/or fascination, making someone Force sensitive isn't as simple as just injecting midichlorians into their veins or soaking their cells with the little organelles. Doing that would only result in a temporary and unstable sensitivity. Instead, a particular enzyme which sustains the midichlorians and is produced naturally by Force sensitives is needed.

Thus, the goal of a scientist seeking to create permanent Force sensitivity through artificial means would be to make the cells of a living being capable of producing this enzyme on their own, thereby sustaining any midichlorians you put into them. To do that, you have to modify the being at the cellular level, granting them the means to produce the enzyme. Obviously, this process works best if you do it when they are still an embryo. Your next best bet is a child with a still-growing body and a "plastic" mind more capable of withstanding the sudden introduction of the Force, but the risk of an unstable connection and/or mental decline is far greater even then. And if you try this on an adult?... Best not to think about it.

Last edited:
Hello, there are several things we need to work through to bring this to a state of approval.

First things first: Midi-synth [Force Sensitivity Drug] - requires permissions since it is a closed market submission please either remove or acquire the necessary permissions.

Secondly, the subject of the children being experimented on especially the child that is handicapped. These things aren't kosher and not okay for the PG-13 setting. I ask that you adjust the ages if you are wanting to be direct with them or change the language to allude to the age group of the children.

Thirdly, you need to decide if they're going to be Sithspawn or not. There are things in canon SW that fulfill the concept that I think you're trying to do. I've linked the following for you:

Lastly, reading though your sub it has heavy heavy influences with the Umbrella Academy, the overall concept feels and sounds like a rip from the show and graphic novel along with X-Men. As a reminder, there are no crossovers allowed, please rework it to make it more Star Wars-esque and fitting into the universe we are role-playing in.

There's a few more things but they depend on your answers to the first batch of judgements.

Salamander Salamander Srina Talon Srina Talon

Allyson Locke Allyson Locke

1. Midi-Synth has been removed from Links.

2. I am assuming the issue with the Vaslav Florescu sub was the careless wording of the Historical Info section, which I apologize for. I have rewritten it substantially. Likewise, I have removed direct references to the children's ages from this sub.

3. I have changed the wording to clarify that they are not Sithspawn. They don't become a completely new species, they simply gain Force sensitivity.

4. I had never even heard of the Umbrella Academy until today. Based on a quick Google search, I do see some similarities, but beyond that you will have to be more specific about what you want me to change, as I am not familiar with the material. X-men I am a little more familiar with, but I don't see any glaring similarities to that here, so again if you are referring to something specific from the comics or a TV show, you'll have to explain further.

Allyson Locke Allyson Locke Srina Talon Srina Talon

After having done some research on the Umbrella Academy, I have put together a list of things which I am assuming you are referring to as far as similarities go:
  • A group of individuals with superpowers are adopted by an alien who refers to them as his "children" - I can't really do much about this one as it is a basic concept/idea, not something specific. Some of the kids here are themselves aliens, they were not born via supernatural means, and since Messala adopted/created them, it's only logical that he would refer to them as his "children".
  • The children have a robot nanny - I can specify that the Dvirat Motina are only used to birth the children and don't have any interaction with them after that, but that would involve changing the droid sub, not this one.
  • They all live in a big house and are homeschooled by a tutor or tutors - Again, changing this would not be very logical. Should their place of residence be smaller, even though they are a large and still-growing group? Should they be required to go to an actual school, even though they live on a mostly uninhabited planet with no major settlements?
  • There is a specific number of children with clearly outlined backstories (as opposed to dozens or even hundreds of kids without specific characterization) - This is my style. I like developing NPCs. I could throw in a mention that says there are more children than the ones listed, but I don't see why it would be necessary.
If there is anything else that you think is too similar to the Umbrella Academy or X-men, please tell me.

As for the issue with Vaslav and the ages of the kids, I have changed both his sub and this one to not directly mention their ages, but I have a feeling that technicality isn't what you took issue with. Is it the entire concept of the character which doesn't fit the PG-13 rating, or something specific? I would rather not make any significant alterations to the character's traits or backstory, since he has already appeared in a thread the way he is now, but if that's what it takes then I will do it. :)

Vaslav Florescu - A mentally handicapped child

The Quote above is a HUGE issue with the submission. Experimenting on the mentally handicapped is a big no no in general and is in terrible taste. You can elude to it, but deliberately stating it already is a major turn off and isn't kosher. I'm still reviewing please be patient and allow me to put my thoughts up for the next phase. As of right now this is the biggest glaring issue with the submission itself as it stands.

Salamander Salamander

Please edit the description removing all references to the drug Midi-synth, unless you've gotten permission to use it per the sub. With the removal how are these children being given Force sensitivity? There are a lot of pockets left from your inability to use the drug - please explain. Or try and get permission to use the midi-synth drug.

If you need to, I can move this back to Pre-Codex for you to fully work on.

Salamander Salamander

Allyson Locke Allyson Locke I have removed all references to midi-synth, but I think you misunderstood the reason why I mentioned it in the first place. Midi-synth was never actually used in this project. I only brought it up as a frame of reference.

As for how Force sensitivity is being given to the children, I have edited the Description to try and make this clearer:

"Much to Messala's disappointment and/or fascination, making someone Force sensitive isn't as simple as just injecting midichlorians into their veins or soaking their cells with the little organelles. Doing that would only result in a temporary and unstable sensitivity. Instead, a particular enzyme which sustains the midichlorians and is produced naturally by Force sensitives is needed.

Thus, the goal of a scientist seeking to create permanent Force sensitivity through artificial means would be to make the cells of a living being capable of producing this enzyme on their own, thereby sustaining any midichlorians you put into them. To do that, you have to modify the being at the cellular level, granting them the means to produce the enzyme."

TL;DR This is just a case of cellular modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom