Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercy's Grasp medical RP | open to all | read first post

Dr. Siva Signos

D
NEBULON-copy.jpg

"Mercy's Grasp"

In neutral space, a retrofitted (modernized)
Nebulon-B gently drifts through space, its course a slow but steady meandering between inhabited systems. Its durasteel a grayish-white, the symbol of the Red Sigil clearly marks the craft as a hospital ship. Considered a true neutral, the craft and its crew lack any allegiance or affiliation except to medicine and healing; for this reason, attacking a ship bearing the sigil is considered a grave taboo throughout the galaxy - even pirate captains dare not attack hospital ships, for fear of reprisal from their own crews. This particular craft, Mercy's Grasp, was based off the ancient hospital ship the Sudden Restoration, and broadcast near constantly a message of peace, healing, and an open invitation to all who needed healing.

Hello all! I used to run an open hospital ship on my old site - to some great success, our site had an actual medical faction - and I thought I'd see if the idea could transplant here to Chaos. I'm looking for brief or long medical RP with anyone who has need or want of it. If you're interested, take a look below and see what we offer!

• First, everything is free. We do accept donations in UC, so give whatever amount you want, or none at all.
• We offer prosthetic & organ replacement / general medical care / surgery
• We also offer cybernetic installation, so long as you provide it or it is open market.
• We offer backstory RP, meaning if you had a major illness, amputation, etcetera in your past and you wanted to really flesh that out, then we can do an RP in the "past" for that event here. Likewise, if you've suffered a wound in a thread and really need a place to convalesce, etc, then feel free to do so here. Basically open to any RP that is even remotely medicine related.

Have fun, no need to PM unless you want to do something drastic like blow us up (which I wouldn't recommend), or have some crazy specific force-based disease or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Siva Signos

D
Dr. Siva Signos stood in front of the irate Trandoshan, his arms crossed, his brow furrowed.

"Hasssskkkssssthursshhhh!" The reptilian gargled incomprehensibly; its scales were turning pale, eyes bulged, and claws scrabbled at its throat urgently.

"Right...Mr. Throssk is it? I understand you have an airway obstruction." Said Siva mildly, looking over the datachart for the patient.

"Hsssk! Hssssk!" Replied the Trandoshan, eyes bulging wider.

"Well, yes, I'd be worried as well." Replied Siva agreeably. "But you see, you have two airways - the fact you can hiss at all indicates that only one airway is obstructed. Given your species' bite reflex, we're really just biding time -"

The Trandoshan stopped squirming, went rigid as durasteel, and then promptly keeled over onto the floor.

"- until you pass out. There we go." Walking over to the Trandoshan, Siva grunted as he rolled the reptilian over. Prying the creature's mouth open - admiring the impressive razor sharp fangs and hefty amount of saliva - he reached down the throat, and with one swift yank...

POP

"There we go. Obstruction appears to be...a gizka bone?" On the floor, the Trandoshan stirred, groaning and hissing before slowly propping itself up. Shaking his head, Siva held the small bone up before the - now sheepish - Trandoshan's eyes, before bopping the creature on the snout with the bone. "Chew...your...food!" Shaking his head, Siva tossed the bone into the waste bin as he stood, wiping his hands on his stericloth scrubs. "Wait here for fifteen minutes, a droid will come and check on you. If your vitals read fine, you're free to go."

Hal Yomin, a male Zeltron in his early forties, sat in the waiting room of the Mercy's Grasp. He was wedged between his two children, both of whom were crying. His teenage daughter Ophelia wept openly, while his twelve year old son Galahad was trying manfully to hide his tears.

"All right, enough," Hal said, unable to stand it any longer. "What are you crying for? I'm not dead yet, and neither is your mother."

The Yomin family was having a pretty bad day. Exposure to the biological weapon known as the Wretchedness (a frightfully common occurrence for Shi'ido who openly worked against the Maw) had reduced Hal's wife Inanna to a fleshy puddle. She was currently in the ER awaiting treatment. Meanwhile, a mandatory scan of her companions to see if they had been exposed to any toxic substances had revealed that Hal was actually suffering from a rare and as-of-yet incurable form of cancer.

Pushing his glasses up his nose, Hal sighed and draped his arms around his kids' shoulders. "I've had worse news on worse days," he assured them. "I just can't remember when..."

Dr. Siva Signos

Dr. Siva Signos

D
Siva exited the Trandoshan's suite just in time to bump into one Doctor Yarrik, a Carosite who wore small little bifocals on the end of his snout. "Doctor Signos! With me please! There's no time to explain." The bifocals quivered as he spoke, the Carosite's voice high and shrill.

"I mean I just got on my lunch break - woah!" Siva grunted as he was forcibly yanked by his sleeve down the hall.

"Now is not the time for jokes Doctor! As a doctor of xenbiology and xenopathology we need a consult." As Yarrik spoke, they hurriedly made their way down the hall to the turbolift, the Carosite impatiently slapping a button to take them to the critical care wing. "Shi'ido; very rare! Can't hold her shape. Total cellular regulation collapse!"

Now that...that piqued Siva's interest. Suddenly intrigued, he furrowed his brow. "Age? Profession? Biochemical analysis?"

"200 years. She's some kind of novelist." The turbolift dinged, and the pair exited; running up to them, a hurried looking human nurse handed them a pile of datapads, looking apologetic as she did so.

"Doctors, we've arranged her as best as we can...but we can't make heads or tails of her. The medical scanners don't have Shi'ido preloaded - it will take at least thirty minutes to load the program in." She spoke hurriedly, glancing backwards at a large bay window - through it a gurney could be seen, around which was a mass of nurses, medical droids, and a handful of Carosite doctors. "Here's the biochemical analysis Doctor Signos."

Siva ignored the datapad, instead opting to put a pair of plastigloves on, and to enter the medical bay. Quickly, the Carosite got out of the way as he approached - his specialty in xenostudies being quite well known aboard the ship's doctors. The patient...was a mess. A limp puddle of fleshy mass, Siva could see the faint outlines of (former) organs in the mass - appearing mashed and deflated like empty balloons. Siva glanced at the biobed life monitor, which was spewing nonsensical readings on temp, density, biomakeup, and oxygenation.

He reached into the mass, pushing, rearranging, prodding. He could see why the doctors were befuddled - everything was out of place, wrong, limp. He felt the nerve plexus, the anterior flesh cavities, noting density and temperature were consistent and constant across the mass. "Laser scalpel. Pressure Resuscitator." He said, after a long moment. Hurried a nurse handed him the tools as he pulled a stericloth mask over his face. Leaning in, he pushed the mass back until he found the deflated and flat lungs within the patient's body. Activating the scalpel, he traced the thin red laser down the trachea (her "head" being more or less shapeless and melded at the moment). Quickly, he pushed the pressure resuscitator to the cauterized opening; the device activated, autoinjecting a tube into the passage way. With a whir and a wheeze, the device fed oxygen into the lungs before pausing and deflating, only to repeat the process.

"Oxygenation increasing...vitals stabilizing...amazing, Doctor." Muttered the nurse, examining the data readout on the biobed.

"No. It's temporary. We need to put her in an oxygenation chamber, and perform connective surgery. This buys us some critical time, but it's crucial that her oxygen levels suffuse her entire body. As she is now...it's uneven. Large parts of her will die." Standing, shaking his head, Siva reached for the biochemical datapad. It showed high traces of some kind of some kind of viral toxin. "Does the medibase recognize this?"

Yarrik was the one to answer - as he should, being the virologist aboard the Grasp. "No, it doesn't match anything in our database. It has every evidence of being some kind of viral xenotoxin - it incorporates shi'ido protein into its viral polymerase."

"Bio-engineered." Spat Siva, shaking his head. "Probably known to some military database somewhere."

"More than likely." Agreed Yarrik. "Whatever it is, it's inhibiting nerve and density control."

"I suggest direct neurostimulators and selective protein resequencers." Said Siva, after a long moment of watching the droids and nurses hover about the shapeless mass. Already some color was returning the flesh, and it seemed to spastically twitch here and there. "Is there anything we can do virally?"

"We can run the xenotox through an enzymer - there may be some equivalent toxins that can produce some effective antiviral." Said Yarrik slowly. He didn't sound confident, however, and for good reason; effective antivirals took time to develop. They would need at least a day to develop one for their patient.

"I'll talk to her family, tell them the options."

=============================================

Siva entered the waiting room in full scrubs, surgical gloves, and mask. Scanning the room, he spied his patient's family, and walked over. "Ahem...Hal Yomin? If I might speak with you. We've temporarily stabilized your wife, but we need to discuss next steps and retrieve your consent." Siva shifted uncomfortably, taking in the solemn expression of the young man Galahad, and the openly weeping Ophelia. Children had always made him feel uncomfortable. Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Equipment: Beskar'gam, lightsabers, healing supplies, 3 thermal detonators, EF-M401e Rampage, Healing Blaster type A

Background-Eraser-20220202-101018441.png
Listening to the the repeating signal of peace and healing had Anashja very curious, curious enough to peel the Tal'din away from her medical fleet to go and introduce herself. She was a notable healer and her clan was well known for those medical and otherwise peaceful leanings, so when her ship dropped out of hyperspace not far from the Mercy's Grasp it would be easy to determine that the small Tal warship was not a threat.

Anasja hailed the bridge of the vessel "Hi, I'm Baar'ur Anashja Tal, I wanted to come and greet a new medic vessel and see if there is anything we can do to work together. I have samples of a new enhanced type of Bacta you may be interested in." The young Togruta woman smiled in friendship at the camera and awaited response. It was always a good thing to meet more healers. She drew up the registry of the ship in front of her and had a little browse, looked good, a modernised nebulon class. She wondered if they might have any tech to share too.

Dr. Siva Signos

D
"Hi, I'm Baar'ur Anashja Tal, I wanted to come and greet a new medic vessel and see if there is anything we can do to work together. I have samples of a new enhanced type of Bacta you may be interested in."

There was a long pause on the part of the Grasp, as the bridge crew evaluated the message. It wasn't everyday that a large ship made its way into the Grasp's path between systems; typically they were lucky to get a freighter or transport. It was only once they arrived at a major habitation hub that the larger liners, frigates, and cruisers came by for a visit.

"Looks to be...Mandalorian? Clan Tal?" Captain Jor turned to Chief Medical Director Gerell, an eyebrow raised.

"A healing clan. They're fairly well known in medical circles." Said Gerell slowly. "Admit our visitor, but please advise them of our weapon policies."

====================================

<<Baar'ur Anashja Tal, we greet you with open arms of friendship. Please feel free to dock via shuttle at umbilical five - please be aware you will be required to leave any weaponry in a weapons locker once aboard. We look forward to exchanging information.>>

Along the spine of Grasp, an umbilical cofferdam extended, guide lights blinking faintly.

Anashja Tal Anashja Tal

"Ahem...Hal Yomin? If I might speak with you. We've temporarily stabilized your wife, but we need to discuss next steps and retrieve your consent."

"Right, right, absolutely," were the first words out of Hal's mouth. "What are the options? Which do you think is the best route, doctor? The cost doesn't matter, insurance'll pay for it. Or we will, if they won't. Where do I sign?"

Dr. Siva Signos

Dr. Siva Signos

D
"Right, right, absolutely," were the first words out of Hal's mouth. "What are the options? Which do you think is the best route, doctor? The cost doesn't matter, insurance'll pay for it. Or we will, if they won't. Where do I sign?"

"Price is of no concern here. Put it out of your mind." Said Siva uncomfortably, still squirming around the children. There was a reason he stayed in the back in the labs and let the nurses handle this stuff. "We need to oxygenate your wife - she's having massive difficulty respirating. This would mean highly invasive surgery. It's doable, and I'm confident in our abilities to save her, but there is some risk...we would need your consent to proceed." He held out the datapad for a thumbscan. As he did so, Siva cleared his throat, focusing more fully on the husband. "It seems she was exposed to a bio-toxin. Can you elaborate on how this happened? Any details could help her odds."

Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Hal swiftly pressed his thumb to the scanner. "Done."

Then the doctor asked how it had happened. "She's been working as a representative for her people ever since the Shi'ido Genocide began. It's made her a political target for Mawites, especially their double agents. Anyway, we were on our way to Coruscant when it happened - someone released this toxin into our quarters through the vents. The police said it was a trap set up to go off at a certain point, when we were already in hyperspace, and it would be harder to get help. But I rushed us here as fast as I could."

As he spoke, the look in Hal's eyes indicated that he had witnessed the entire episode, watching helplessly as his wife melted down and began to suffocate. The children had fallen silent.

Dr. Siva Signos

temporaryb.png

Dr. Siva Signos | Anashja Tal Anashja Tal | [Pretend the gun above is a peace sign, no violence done in this post]

A Mandalorian ship arrives from hyperspace several thousand kilometers away from the Mercy's Grap and flies towards it. The Gauntlet ship has the symbols of a now dead clan of raiders and mercenaries on it's wings, the exact name perhaps forgotten to time since they were not as famous as Zet would've thought. None of the weapons are powered.

Zet hails the ship to inform them of his intentions before they think he is some raider there to attack them.
"This is the Reav ship, requesting permission to dock. I'd like to purchase supplies. Or trade. I have... samples of my own making. And to offer my services as a medic." While he was trained to be a raider,specialized with operations in space under situations very similar to this, he was also taught and trained as a field medic. Not to mention an Arkanian's natural fascination for science as a whole, Zet just happens to enjoy researching new ways to heal. His ship has a lab, which is also the kitchen and the medbay, but to see proper medical equipment and training in space? That's a rare opportunity.

He also needs to restock, so, there's that. So he can restock, scratch this healing itch and then it is a win-win situation to all parties involved.

As a... courtesy Zet is already without his weapons. Blasters, vambraces and even his hidden vibro-dagger will be left aboard the ship. It's just him, his belt with a datapad (and a few free samples), and his armor, and he'd rather be naked than stroll around without it. A light piece meant to be a well protected space suit while also offering some comfort, earned piece by piece, year by year.
"Hm? Curious..." His ship's sensors show another Mandalorian ship, much bigger than his own. Perhaps this is a good sign. Or 'will of the force' as the Sorcerers would say.

Dr. Chomar

D
Mercy's Grasp
Deck 17, High-Risk Assessment and Triage

Dr. Chomar placed one furred hand on the shoulder of the Yuuzhan Vong. "I'm going to have to insist that you sit still and try to relax."

"Pain is victory!" barked the pale, scarred figure.

"Yes, pain is victory," soothed the Selonian, "but what you have is a very large carving knife coming in through the front of your shoulder and out through the back, and the first thing I need to do is stabilize that shoulder so that you don't do any further damage to it. Now while I do that, would you like to explain how you came to find said knife in said shoulder?" The doctor had years of dealing with Yuuzhan Vong and found them both fascinating and frustrating, especially given he couldn't use his Force powers to assist him.

"Food services!" growled the male, flinching at the doctor's touch but trying to maintain his stoicism.

"Food services tried to kill you?" asked Dr. Chomar, trying to keep the fellow talking. "Did you insult the meat loaf? Never a good idea."

"I work in food services," said the Vong. "Mykro Foon was at my station. MY station! I was prepping for dinner service! He told me my kommerken steak looked like pounded nerf!"

"And then he stabbed you?"

"No. Then I raked my claws across his disbelieving chest and attempted to pull out his heart. His husband stabbed me."

"Well, that would explain the security detail in the hallway," admitted Chomar.

Equipment: Beskar'gam, lightsabers, healing supplies, 3 thermal detonators, EF-M401e Rampage, Healing Blaster type A, Canister of Bacta-H

Background-Eraser-20220202-101018441.png
"Thank you, I will be across shortly" Anashja was not in her Beskar'gam and was not usually of the habit of wearing weapons aboard her own ship so she had nothing to deposit in their lock boxes. It did make her wonder if the ship had had problems with violence before, her viewpoint was clearly skewed by the fact that most of her crew and staff were also mandalorian so could generally handle themselves. If someone did decide to create a problem, it would quickly become their problem. She laughed to herself as she entered the main body of the unknown vessel.

As she made her way along the corridor, she looked ar a number of staff caring for the sick and injured. Medical curiosity made her want to tale a peak as a couple of their notes. But she hated when outside doctors swooped in and started giving her pointers, so she wouldn't be that person, she did however stop to give a junior nurse a quick hand on a procedure that was clearly new to her, assisting someone who is early in their training, is not the same as bossing people around. She told herself.

She wasn't sure where she was going but made her way to a meeting area as guided by a pair of droids.

Maeve maneuvered the Dancing Thranta through space having dropped out to ensure the engines were still calibrating correctly communication picked up a beacon from another medical ship.

Sliding back into the pilots seat she plotted where they were. She was curious to talk with other medical personnel, feth she was ready to talk to almost anyone. She had traveled out to the outer rim to spend time with the mandalorians and learn about the way of life her father prized so much. She wanted to help them, and she was still trying to figure out how to do it.

She wasn't on a schedule right now so...yeah why not. She brought the engines back on line and headed towards the beacon.

Cautious as this could be a trap.

Anashja Tal Anashja Tal | Dr. Chomar | Zet Reav Zet Reav | Dr. Siva Signos

Dr. Siva Signos

D
Hal swiftly pressed his thumb to the scanner. "Done."

Then the doctor asked how it had happened. "She's been working as a representative for her people ever since the Shi'ido Genocide began. It's made her a political target for Mawites, especially their double agents. Anyway, we were on our way to Coruscant when it happened - someone released this toxin into our quarters through the vents. The police said it was a trap set up to go off at a certain point, when we were already in hyperspace, and it would be harder to get help. But I rushed us here as fast as I could."

As he spoke, the look in Hal's eyes indicated that he had witnessed the entire episode, watching helplessly as his wife melted down and began to suffocate. The children had fallen silent.

"I see." Said Signos simply. Signos made notes on his datapad, before eventually looking up. "We shall begin surgery immediately Mr. Yomin - I would say to not despair. Your wife is in the hands of some of the best medical personnel in the sector. If she'll be saved, it will be here." Signos cleared his throat, before nodding at Hal. "As for your own...abnormality..." He chose his words carefully, not knowing if Hal's cancer was known to his children. "I'd like to discuss your own options for care after we've taken care of your wife. One thing at a time, as they say."

Signos wanted to tell the man, and his children for that matter, that everything would be ok; that there was no reason to worry. Signos had even made such promises once upon a time, as a young and inexperienced medical student on Arkania. He had quickly learned that the galaxy was a dangerous and unforgiving place - the innocent died while the evil lived, and the old grew older while the young died before they had even begun. All the while, the stars kept burning and the galaxy kept spinning as if nothing was wrong.

So Signos didn't make promises. Instead, they would do their best and remember and trust in their training. It would have to be enough. "Surgery should last several hours Mr. Yomin. try and get some rest, or some food." Nodding, Signos turned and retreated back into the hospital proper. They had a life to save.

Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Zet hails the ship to inform them of his intentions before they think he is some raider there to attack them. "This is the Reav ship, requesting permission to dock. I'd like to purchase supplies. Or trade. I have... samples of my own making. And to offer my services as a medic."

<<Reav ship, you are authorized to dock. Please be aware of our weapons policy. You are cleared for umbilical two.>>

Along the central spar of the Nebulon, a cofferdam extended and guide lights began blinking along its surface.
Zet Reav Zet Reav

"Thank you, I will be across shortly" ...

As she made her way along the corridor, she looked ar a number of staff caring for the sick and injured. Medical curiosity made her want to tale a peak as a couple of their notes. But she hated when outside doctors swooped in and started giving her pointers, so she wouldn't be that person, she did however stop to give a junior nurse a quick hand on a procedure that was clearly new to her, assisting someone who is early in their training, is not the same as bossing people around. She told herself.

She wasn't sure where she was going but made her way to a meeting area as guided by a pair of droids.

The droids beeped quietly, their soothing demeanors and sterile plastishell exteriors somewhat ubiquitous in medical droids. Eventually, the droids would guide the Mandalorian to a general meeting area - it consisted of a large panoramic transparisteel window, a series of four or five meeting tables circled around large holoprojectors, and knots of clustered Doctors who talked about particularly difficult patients and cases.

At one particular table, Chief Medical Director (CMD) Gerell, stood and waved at the Mandalorian. An aging human, he wore a business suit that was something of a cross between formal wear and medical scrubs - balding and wrinkled, his gaze was nonetheless sharp and piercing. Tempered by experience, he was more than a simple administrator - rather, a healer with decades of experience who had seen it all; so much so that he had come to run the entire operation.

"Tal, I presume? Welcome to Mercy's Grasp. I trust docking went well? We don't typically get visitors between systems."

Elsewhere, a separate pair of droids would guide one Zet Reav Zet Reav to the meeting area as well.

Anashja Tal Anashja Tal

Maeve maneuvered the Dancing Thranta through space having dropped out to ensure the engines were still calibrating correctly communication picked up a beacon from another medical ship.

The dancing Thranta was picked up on sensors by the Mercy's Grasp - but, so overwhelmed by the influx of new visitors, uncharacteristically did not extend a greeting at extended range. Instead, the ship's comms techs would wait until the craft was closer and had initiated contact before hailing. The Grasp was used to dealing with the cautious, paranoid, and outright hostile after all; sometimes a more gentle touch was needed.

Maeve Ar'klim Maeve Ar'klim

Dr. Chomar

D
With the Yuuzhan Vong patient now stabilized and in the hands of station security, and Chomar promising to visit him both in the brig and to try his vegetarian meatvine succotash (the doctor himself wasn't a vegetarian, but the patient had been co-operative and was very proud of his recipe), the doctor glided several inches above the surface of the floor, making his way down the corridor by use of the Force. It was a way for him to both focus and relax, a form of active meditation. He would have said a re-grounding, but he was floating, after all.

A quick check of his chronometer showed he would be just in time for the staff meeting. There were several cases he was especially interested in, and had heard that the ship was expecting some new staff as well.

Touching down just outside the doors of the conference room to avoid drawing any particular attention to himself, he entered in time to hear CMD Gerell address one of the newcomers: a female Togruta named, apparently, Tal.

Anashja Tal Anashja Tal Dr. Siva Signos Maeve Ar'klim Maeve Ar'klim Zet Reav Zet Reav Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Last edited by a moderator:
Samnai, a 20-year old human woman, doesn’t go to the doctor often. Half of it has to do with a lack of trust, the other half is because she doesn’t want to get arrested.

And people of her profession rarely get treated, even if they do go.

But when she woke up and realised that not only had her last night’s stabbing completely ruined her blanket and somehow reopened another, older wound, she knew she had to visit one.

So here she sat, in a noisy room with crying brats, crying people, and…is that a puddle of flesh?

Whatever, it’s not her business. Samnai had specifically picked this ship for it’s neutrality, refusing to go to a doctor nearer to the house. Crying kids are better than bleeding to death because of a bribed doctor.

She flinched a little as she pressed her shoulder, keeping another hand on her chest. The staff takes the puddle away—apparently that’s someone’s wife—and people go in and out. She waits her turn.

Hopefully they don’t ask her how she got these injuries.

Dr. Siva Signos Dr. Chomar Anashja Tal Anashja Tal Inanna Harth Inanna Harth Maeve Ar'klim Maeve Ar'klim Zet Reav Zet Reav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom