Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mando and Beskar?

[member="Arumi Zy"]

What you're saying makes sense, but is it just wishful thinking?

You might have to come up with a reasonable solution if you can find one. I can't fathom a way to attack force user powers other than to leave a thread that gets stupid or to whine to rp admins.

I don't know, man.

[member="Vascious Relens"] I don't know if my reasonable solution would be considered reasonable. It would be far to restrictive i would say. Honestly the best thing i have is to make armor and personal small arms not require it while fancy stuff does. For force powers i don't really know, i just tend turnups.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Sarge Potteiger said:
But we had people who wanted Beskar, and rather than do a dev thread, they'd roll a Mandalorian character, submit whatever they wanted, get it approved, and then pass it off to whatever character they really wanted to have it. That's gaming the system. We're going to crack down on that.
Also, to be honest, I literally never personally had this issue. I was told by the Factory when I first joined the Mandos to dev for even the smallest beskar things or provide threads proving service to the Mandalorians. It was never handed freely to me 'just because.' So if this was an issue, perhaps it could have been better enforced moderation-side so that relatively fresh people or those with less-than-solid submission intents would be more frequently told to develop for it.

Sarge Potteiger said:
What we aren't going to crack down on is enforcing people to submit every single lightsaber to the Factory. That would astronomically increase the amount of work the Factory receives, because every single Force User (probably close to 65-70% of our character population) is a lightsaber user. So for every 100 new people, that's 60-70 submissions of a lightsaber that will probably say 'It's a lightsaber. It turns on and off.'
I can sympathize with this issue because, aside from it being blatantly obvious, the majority of non-generic sabers and crystals usually aren't accepted without development or at least standing character history anyways. And most people work for their fancy toys.

Vascious Relens said:
You might have to come up with a reasonable solution if you can find one. I can't fathom a way to attack force user powers other than to leave a thread that gets stupid or to whine to rp admins.

The Force is literally infinite. Therefore it would impossible to regulate in an effective manner that would allow for the maximum amount of freedom and creativity.

The usual ways of doing this are such things as Training Requirements (which often involve a lot of word counts and time periods), Restricted/Banned lists (which the Jedi did at one point for their most powerful abilities, I encourage all factions to regulate what they are willing to teach their FUs), or by creating a new Power Creation forum.

None of these would effectively tackle what is, ultimately, a writer problem. That is to say, the writer hasn't appropriately learned restraint. That comes with experience. Therefore, I encourage you to work with the offending roleplayers to help guide them towards a more reasonable approach and, should that fail to work, you can safely contact an RPJ to rule on it.

I'll weigh in here - either being too little or too late - but I support the decision to dev thread for Besk'ar even for Mandalorians.

My reasoning is this - Besk'ar is rare. I don't know how many times we've had to state this in the past. It doesn't replenish unless you melt it down, the raw ore form of Besk'ar is only found on two worlds, and most of it has already been mined in the last four thousand years. Dev threads are not there to keep people from getting them within the faction, it is there because the actual material is rare enough to warrant working for it. I did two development threads well before the rule was made just to make it realistic.

The reason Jedi/Sith don't always need dev threads for lightsaber construction is that the crystals that power their sabers actually grow. Granted most Sith used synth crystals, but the consensus is that it is renewable resource, where besk'ar ore is not.

[member="Strider Garon"] | [member="Sarge Potteiger"] | [member="Arumi Zy"]

Strider Garon said:
Why do mandalorians have to grind a dev thread to get a full set of beskar'gam? Seems counter productive to the member base growth. Do Jedi or Sith have to dev a lightsaber? And all Force user get to start out with what ever basic force user techniques they wish so I think Mandos should be able to have access to mandalorian armor just the same.
As far as going canonically, Mandalorian Iron was so rare that most of Mandalore and its moon were dug up into looking like two giant swiss-cheese balls full of craters, to the point that it appeared there would be no more beskar for the future - it's an extremely rare, expensive, resource.

That being said, it is also the most powerful material out there that I could point to for use due to its near-invulnerability to everything. The development thread requirement is so that you work towards getting what you want rather than simply making a mandalorian dark jedi/sith/whatever for the sake of bleeding the faction dry for its materials rather than joining for the sake of being a mandalorian.

Glancing at OPs post. The rule is in place because people were using beskar like it was the most common thing in the planet. Other rules have been put into place for other materials and will continue to happen to those materials that happen to turn into the "flavor of the week." Its just how things are and its how we regulate these things. It happened before I was put in charge and I have no intention of changing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom