Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Swords?!

[member="Romeo Sin"] Like I said earlier. I hate cross-overs from Anime to Star Wars. I hate when Anime is compared to Star Wars. Despite the fact that Star Wars has an "anime" I think not sure. Its like comparing apples and oranges. They have similarities but are vastly different. Also by anime I specifically mean "Japanese/Chinese/Korean etc Animation"

Vrag said:
Because swords have better reach as well as better defensive capabilities? =)
You've obviously never fought someone wielding an axe before >.<

This whole thread makes me chuckle. I know the guys in Man At Arms (Matt and Kerry and Sam and the gang) and they basically did a buster sword, from my knowledge, only because they got SO MANY REQUESTS to do it. I've trained for years with swords. Studied just as long to learn how to make them. And flat out, it wouldn't work unless as some others have specified, you bend the rules. And even then, it won't work well. Much better options to be had much easier.

Vrag

The Second Seal, broken.
[member="Ijaat Akun"]

You... obviously don't know whether I have or not. ;)
In any case, the axe in question here was a tomahawk, specifically, which cannot compete in reach with a longsword, and probably not even with a one-hander.
Sure, you could throw it, in which case you'd have better reach, I suppose, but that's hardly comparable.

Waraxes, though, are another thing completely.

[member="Ijaat Akun"] Though it's pretty standard to range around 60-70 cm for max length.

Sure, there is some variance, but the comparison of averages will show that Tomahawk ranges on the shorter side of the axe family.

Vrag

The Second Seal, broken.
[member="Reverance"]

Well, you beat me to the post, but essentially what I was going to say. ;)

Your average tomahawk is nearly 1 meter shorter than your average longsword. :)
Unless you're really skilled with a tomahawk and your opponent is a really lousy swordsman, there's no way you're going to beat that reach difference.

I meant more the shape of the head rather than size. I've seen a few tomahwaks from a friend that is a member of the Mohawk tribe that differ vastly from my Apache friends. Though admittedly those and Iriqouis are the only ones i'm familiar with, and even then those are modern made 'remnants' so to speak... So historically they could have been much less different when used for actual warfare. I'll defer to you folk since you speak so confidently on it, lol!

Although i'd really argue against length equaling winning.... Otherwise spears would *always* beat swords, right?

[member="Ijaat Akun"] Theres no need to be snippy about the disagreement. Working in the field and the wild, I've seen all form of traditional hatchets and Tomahawk, and untraditional ones as well. A long Tomahawk doesn't make a ton of sense because they are tools first and foremost. But the experience doesn't predicate statistical truth, especially in the face of contradictory historical information.

And assuming exact same skill level, I would take a spear fighter over a swordsman any day of the week. But we are so rarely presented with individuals of similar scale using such variable weaponry. :p

Vrag

The Second Seal, broken.
I never claimed that length = win.
It certainly gives a great advantage to the user, however. You can reach your opponent, but your opponent can't reach you. It's the perfect situation ;)

My issue with spears (and any pole weaponry, really) is the very vulnerable wooden stick the spiky end is mounted on.
If that gets damaged your weapon quickly becomes useless, and after that you're usually toast.

Did *not* mean to sound snippy... Arguing with work... Apparently even at 101 fever, working EMS, I should still be coming in to work T_T

Very comforting to meet people I can debate with though! I like this, really!

Vrag

The Second Seal, broken.
Now there's an image I like :p
A beskar spear wouldn't be as easily manipulated or as maneuverable as a wooden one, though...
then again I'm sure that in SW universe there's a super-light, super-resistant metal to solve that issue too XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom