Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Language

Allaina Mare said:
Could we use the filter to swap words out for more contextually appropriate ones?
We could work on this, yes. But it's important to note that there would be no reason to if we all served as examples to others by looking up and using the alternatives ourselves.

One argument I've always seen against this is the usual 'Freedom of Speech'. Well, yes. You are free to say what you will, act how you want. But there are repurcussions atop of those that won't be reneged for the sake of 'personal ideals', if some purposefully seek to be some sort of badboy/badgirl firebrand that the Admins "affectionately tolerate."

It's kind of harsh, but I would tell one who makes that argument here that there are plenty of other forums to go to. Maybe they'll let you cuss and swear all over them, haha. Just as one is free to swear, we're free to tell them to leave.

I just know, I absolutely know, that a vast majority of our member base is quite young. And even more people that stop by this website that don't join are the same. I was even hit up by a mother of two on our Google + page asking if I could take down the "scantily clad" woman in the blue theme, as she thought it was too revealing for her kids.

We try to be appealing to all, and excessive language just isn't appealing to all.

Tefga said:
It's kind of harsh, but I would tell one who makes that argument here that there are plenty of other forums to go to. Maybe they'll let you cuss and swear all over them, haha. Just as one is free to swear, we're free to tell them to leave.

I just know, I absolutely know, that a vast majority of our member base is quite young. And even more people that stop by this website that don't join are the same. I was even hit up by a mother of two on our Google + page asking if I could take down the "scantily clad" woman in the blue theme, as she thought it was too revealing for her kids.

We try to be appealing to all, and excessive language just isn't appealing to all.
Which is understandable but the truth is you can't be appealing to everyone, like the lady in blue theme thing. Yes you might get a new fan but will you alienate members in the process? There is a very thing line between alienation and appeal and it must be very carefully balanced not towards those who might be but more towards those who are.

Trust me, Arumi, it's a discussion I have every day in mah noodle. Which is why you'll only see me take a stand on the most important subjects.

This thread is one of those subjects.

Tefga said:
Trust me, Arumi, it's a discussion I have every day in mah noodle. Which is why you'll only see me take a stand on the most important subjects.

This thread is one of those subjects.
To behonest, here is the first place i have had actual trust in the staff in a long time. And i may not agree with some stuff you guys will do but i will be supportive while being critical and interjecting my two cents but wont fight and organize a coup to feed you to thri-kreen.

What about the 'B' word.....what if my character gets shot and wants to exclaim "You son of a b word". Would this is acceptable or would it be best finding a Star Wars word to replace it? Like you son of a filthy hutt or whatever.

Just curious, I don't see the situation coming up for me anytime soon but you never know.

Delila Castillon said:
What about the 'B' word.....what if my character gets shot and wants to exclaim "You son of a b word". Would this is acceptable or would it be best finding a Star Wars word to replace it? Like you son of a filthy hutt or whatever.

Just curious, I don't see the situation coming up for me anytime soon but you never know.
Personaly i see nothing wrong with it, but im not staff. I would say it would be appropiate you see some minor stuff like that even in pg things. So long as it wasn't like you @#$ %@#% $%&^$%&& picking !@# $%#%! !@##%^ mother !@$$ of !@#$ turkey !@#$ !@#$ plug !#$!%#% Spire !@#$ 412$1@$ !@$$@$ and then she shat on a turtle! I think you would be good.,

Thats what I was thinking personally....seeing how Mrs.Weasley said the "b word" in Harry Potter, I mean, thats a kids book!

"You son of a hutt" does have an awesome ring to it @[member="Seroth Ur-Rahn"] . I certainly plan on making it a regular phrase.

Delila Castillon said:
My one point of contention is that there are plenty of other things to say that are equally appropriate. Finding an alternative would be significantly better. 1) it increases immersion 2) it absolutely will not offend any readers.

I personally hate censorship, I think its a ridiculous notion that does nothing to help our youth grow up somehow better. In the end the responsibility is left to the parents for how a child is raised.

That said, I understand perfectly the need for a PG-13 rating here.

Rhurek Thane

Dr. Cantanker0us, M.D.
Swearing and cussing are for the ignorant minded and are also the same thing which doesn't explain why I used two synonyms for the same point other than to become more wordy thus making myself sound smarter which is incredibly hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom