Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Laminations

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Fleet Commander For The Nomadic Peoples Coalition
Location; Observation Platform, in front of HMS SHII-Cho, Nar Shaddaa shipyard facility…

She looked angry. Very angry.

Burtch stood out in the open at his ship's birthing space and stared at his ship as she seemed to stare back at him with resentment. He was on an elevated platform in front of his precious warship, the HMS Shii-Cho as he watched workers toil and labor to strip away crumpled laminated hull plates, pry loose undetonated ordnance, and pull mangled cables from exposed areas where the armor had been completely blown away. At least she could get here on her own power, Burtch thought to himself. Just barely…

In fact, the ship and her crew were lucky to be alive at all. They had been assisting the Silver Jedi Concord in their efforts to clean up pirates in the region when someone got the wise idea to ambush Burtch's little cruiser squadron in a stray asteroid field in deep space. Thankfully, the band of pirates had severely underestimated the engine speed of Burtch's ships and it hadn't been too hard to catch the enemy in a devastating crossfire. The overwhelming barrage of tactical gunfire had caused the pirates to withdraw and deactivate their gravity well generator so that they could jump away. Unfortunately, in order to pressure the pirates as hard as he did, Burtch had forced his ships to absorb a lot of damage, and the cruiser squadron had lost its combat effectiveness.

In the aftermath, most of Burtch's ships were capable of returning home for yard time and repairs, but Burtch had suspected that HMS Shii-Cho herself couldn't make it all the way home without a pit stop. When they arrived at Nar Shaddaa, his suspicions had been proven totally correct…

The growing sound of tiny thrusters softly hummed behind him, and then cut off with a soft pop. Irritation kept up his spine as he recognized the sound of the specific jet pack that had arrived. He didn't dare turn to look.

A blue skinned female pantoran stepped up beside him, with a mixture of exhaustion and mischief in her eyes. Burtch conceded to her arrival and turned to look at his flag captain, Captain Treyfa. He noted the leg brace she was wearing and he remembered how she had been injured by a "near miss" of enemy ordnance being fired on the Shii-Cho's bridge. He was reluctantly pleased that she had gotten herself looked at by medical. She saluted, and he returned it. She then proceeded to remove her jetpack, albeit painfully and set in on the ground beside them. She then spoke as she winced, "Admiral, you were right about the hyperdrive. It was leaking more than diagnostics had picked up on the way here. I don't know how you figured that out, but you were right." She grinned her bewildered amusement.

Burtch nodded, but decided to change the subject, being uncomfortable with the praise for something he couldn't explain, "how is your leg? Are you able for duty?"

Her eyes lit up, but exhaustion seemed to linger, "yep. The drugs they got me on are fantastic. But I can still focus." She seemed to trail off and look in the direction of their battered vessel, "but her, I can't imagine. Seeing her like that hurts worse than my leg, believe it or not. I can almost feel it when they peel the laminated hull panels off of her…" she shuddered.

Curiosity furrowed Burtch's brow and he looked at her quizingly, "I actually can feel it, Captain" he simply stated, testing her.

She looked at him weirdly, forcing a mocking tone into her voice, "oh you can now, can you?"

"I can" he just replied.

They held each other's gazes for a moment as she digested what he said. By now she knew him well enough to know that he wasn't big on making jokes, and he was too practical for whimsical notions. Finally, she spoke in a lower, suspicious tone, "what are you getting at?"

Burtch just turned to his ship and strode to the handrail and rested his hands there. He began speaking, "it's something I've been mentally processing for some time now. You know that I spent time with the Lion Knights on Spindle IV right? I tried to study the ways of the Force for a while, but I couldn't really catch on very well. My natural talent for the Force is simply too weak. But I did learn a little philosophy.

"All things exist within the Force. And by that, I mean everything. Not just people and creatures, but objects, droids, bonds between beings, abstract ideas, and even time itself. Bonds are particularly prevalent in the Force. The closer you are to someone or something, the deeper that bond becomes. Sometimes, ships become more than just giant containers and they actually become conduits of the Force itself and have their own destiny. Shii-Cho has been sort of growing within the Force lately and has been forming a bond with you and I for some time now. I can now feel it, and I sense that you are beginning to perceive that bond for yourself. This ship is almost alive and it's getting ready to share some kind of story with the universe."

Treyfa waited for two hooded devaronians to pass by before she hobbled up to the Admiral on her braced leg and rested her own hands on the handrail, staring at the battered cruiser, "Sir, I have to admit. This is a new look for you." she chuckled softly, "and yeah I have to admit, I do feel… close to her. There are days when I feel like she talks to me. Like a distant whisper in the wind, and she gets louder every day. I kinda thought I was losing it, to be honest. I'm still not entirely convinced that I haven't, actually."

"No, you haven't, Captain. She's waking up more and more every day. I've looked into it and many ships throughout history have woken up like this. She is special and so is our connection to her. Our bond with her is much like those laminated hull plates that the workers are pulling off of her. They are made out of different materials that have been fused together, and the differential of material properties actually makes them stronger as long as the bond holds. You, me, and the ship are becoming one, and the differences between us are what makes us strong as long as we maintain that bond."

She scoffed at her Admiral, "aww that's sweet, sir. I thought you hated me?" She mocked.

"I do," Burtch stated flatly, "you irritate me to no end… but it's because we are so different, you and I, that we are strong. And the Shii-Cho is the other side of this triangle. We have a destiny together, and I don't even feel like it has begun yet."

"Well, you've definitely become the weird one out of the three of us," she stated. She removed her hands and turned around to leave, "but I gotta go check on the gun director tracks now that they have those sections exposed, so I'll see you in the…" she tailed off.

Burtch lifted his hands from the rail and turned to her, sensing alarm in the air, "what is it?"

"My jet pack. It's gone!"

Burtch looked around and suddenly the two devaronians that had passed earlier were making a run for it! One had a large metal item in his hands!

"Stay here! I'll go get them!" And with a sudden surge of adrenaline, he ran after them…

Willow & Ivy Willow & Ivy

....Sand to stars. Sand to steel. Sand to salvation. Sand to safety.....

It had been some time since a vision had come to Willow and Ivy so strongly. And it's timing couldn't be more perfect. With Broka gone, the siamese twins were left as the heirs to his little empire. However, warlords and other Hutts were hard pressed to take orders from two 'slaves'. That's what everyone saw them as. Broka held them captive in a golden cage, never to stray far away from him and always under guard.

But the other Hutts were working against them; gaining power and ever so carefully procuring the warlords to join them, leaving Willow and Ivy vulnerable. With Broka they had protection. Without him, they do not.

"How much longer?"

"Soon, Ivy. Very soon."

The twins made their way through the marketplace with their guards in tow. Now that they were their own bosses, their shopping trips outside weren't as restricted. However the threats were still there. But they needed to be out there. Both could feel it.

"She's hurt and she's waiting for us."

"Yes, we'll see her soon. But first we need to find the Sky Man, remember?"

"Oh yes! The Sky Man! His Angel picked him specifically. His Awakening will be amazing once she's healed."

Willow giggled as she held onto Ivy's hand, interlocking their fingers, "He'll be the first of many. The Angels protect." And we need it. Those were the words that she wanted to voice, but didn't. Not while in front of their guards. The last thing that they needed was to have more restrictions placed on them out of 'precaution'.

Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch came into view through the crowd ahead of them, running after what appeared to be thieves carrying something big. It was hard not to notice his blue skin among the various shades of brown. Ivy looked to one of the guards. "Stop them. Don't let them out of the square." Without a word, two of their guards left them to intercept, drawing their blaster rifles set to stun.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

I shouldn't have left my damn blaster on the ship…

Burtch's navy blaster was not with him as he chased the two thieves down the pier. They broke hard for the gangway and tried to head for the streets.

Burtch was gaining on them. For one, he was in excellent condition, and another, the thieves were hauling a heavy jetpack with them. He followed them through the gangway and onto a dirty, reasonably populated street. They ran past oblivious pedestrians and the odd landspeeder, dodging garbage, and stray droids. Burtch followed in suit, gracefully leaping over obstacles and dodging people as they walked about in his path.

The two thieves attempted to drop obstacles to slow Burtch down by toppling shelves or kicking open containers full of random goods. But Burtch was at least a little better coordinated than expected, and managed to not let the obstacles slow him down too badly. He was still gaining on them.

Suddenly, both of the men, carrying the stolen jet pack, broke hard to the right and dove into a narrow alleyway.

Burtch also veered into the same direction, attempting to close the distance. He emerged into a dirty space between old buildings, littered with garbage and slime. There was a bilge in the middle where the water seemed to collect between the shallow slopes of the pavement. At the end of the alley, the two men were cut off by a large metal fence. But they weren't trying to escape.

The jetpack rested up against a dumpster on the ground. Both men were now facing Burtch with firm stances. Burtch realized that they had lured him here out of the sight of the pedestrians in the street. They didn't move, but they just stood there staring at him, hands balled into fists.

Burtch stopped running and just stared back at them. They were clearly sending him a message; either walk away, or else…

Burtch didn't back down. He settled into a military kickboxing stance and carefully made his way to the two men, step-by-step with his hands up. The other two men settled down into their own generic fighting stances and moved towards Burtch, while spreading apart to catch Burtch on his flanks.

The distance closed quickly and suddenly the devaronian on the right made his move. The man stepped towards Burtch and tested Burtch's defences with a jab. Before the jab could even go very far, Burtch stole a step away from the man and stomped on the toes of the man on the left. He growled in pain, but tried to grab one of Burtch's wrists haphazardly. Burtch let the grip take hold of his left wrist, but then yanked it back and pulled the man in. Burtch brought up his right elbow to meet the man's face as it came. There was a crunch sound as the man's nose broke and a pained howl. His foot came out from under Burtch's and caused Burtch to stumble just a little.

It was enough for the man on the right to go for a tackle. He came in low and plowed his shoulder into Burtch's lower right ribs and wrapped his arms around the Chiss. Both men came crashing down to the ground. The devaronian was much bigger and had the advantage in a grapple. Burtch had to be quick and try to get out before the man could gain a hold on him. He kicked his legs and shunted his hips in such a way that kept the man from gaining his balance. Burtch then began to twist his way out from underneath and was beginning to find his feet…

… and then a boot from the other man met his head.

Burtch hit the pavement hard, seeing stars. On reflex from years of military martial arts training, he covered his head with his forearms, but it was already too late. The one man was already coming at him, laying the boots to him, and the other was already finding his feet again and coming to join his buddy. Burtch was sure he could take a few hits for a while before he was done and out, but he couldn't figure out a way to turn this around.

Frantically, his mind struggled to solve his problem and the boots battered his limbs and rib cage…

The two guards chased after the trio, slowed down by the same debris that riddled the sidewalks. It wasn't hard to determine why Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch was chasing the two down. The jetpack said it all. And perhaps because there were two of them, they didn't try to fly off with it. Or maybe the jetpack had no fuel. Either way getting a clean shot was difficult with Burtch getting within the shot.

Willow and Ivy were slower to follow. They couldn't run as fast and given that they were joined at the hip, it was much more difficult for them to get around the obsticles. But they were managing, determined not to lose the Sky Man.

At least the guards had a head start. The alleyway gave them pause, half expecting some sort of a trap. Especially as they didn't know who this guy was or what the twins wanted with him. But it wasn't their job to question. Only to follow orders.

Once Burtch was on the ground, the two fired their blaster rifles at his assailants, knocking them back with stun bolts. Their bodies hit the ground with loud thuds that echoed in the narrow alleyway.

Willow and Ivy appeared shortly thereafter, still hand in hand as their breaths came in short gasps, both from exhaustion and shock at seeing Burtch on the ground. "Oh no! The Sky Man!"

"Is he okay?"

"Please, please be okay..."

The pair approached cautiously, not so much afraid of Burtch as they were of his condition. Not to mention how he'd react to seeing them...

Grand Shepherd Burtch

"Oooohhh… kriff…"

Burtch groaned in agony as he began to realize that the beating had finally stopped. Slowly, he unfurled his bruised body and sprawled out on the soggy alley pavement. His eyes were clamped shut as he continued to groan.

He laid there for a minute, catching his breath as he heard a pair of footsteps approaching. He heard the voices of two female humanoids that sounded similar to each other, speaking about some sort of 'Sky Man'. Burtch figured that must've been himself that they were talking about, given the context, and he decided that it was a strange description of him. He opened his eyes and saw two identical figures before him. He tried to focus his eyes so that the two images would become one, but suddenly he realized they were in fact twins. Weird that they stand so close to eachother…

"Yes… I'm ok. Thank you… for your help." he struggled to stand up. As he did so, he took stock of his surroundings. The two devaronian men that had attacked him were now sprawled out and unconscious. The hint of ozone in the air and the residual infrared heat on the bodies told him that they had been shot by stun bolts. He considered kicking them, but refrained. He was better than that.

He also noticed two bodyguards, wielding blasters, still hot from firing, as he could tell with his Chiss eyes. And of course, the two twins.

He tried to straighten his back to present himself as an officer, but his body failed to let him. He ended up just grunting in pain. He then spoke, humbly towards the twins, as the guards seemed to belong to them, "I suppose I owe you two a great favour for that. I am… humbled, and truly grateful. I guess luck was in my favour that you were in the right place at the right time. Is there anything I can do to repay you?"

Willow and Ivy breathed sighs of relief once they were reassured that Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch was okay. He was still hurt, but not that badly. He was still going to be of help to them.

Just as they were to him.

"You were outnumbered. We saw you running after them."

"You don't know this city like we do. Or it's people."

Burtch let on about him being grateful for their help, and wanting to repay them for it. Willow and Ivy looked to eachother. They knew what they needed him for, yet they couldn't say it out loud. Not while in front of their guards.

"Let us ecort you back to where you came from. One of the guards will bring what they tried to steal from you." Willow placed her hand on Burtch's arm as she spoke, reaching out with the Force to his mind, hoping that it'd be open enough so that her voice could be heard within it ~Please help us to escape. We have seen you in our visions. You're moving away from the purple lion to something more grand.~

"It must be worth a lot. But don't worry. No one will try to steal it from our guards. It'd be a crime, otherwise." A bold claim, yet Ivy was just covering for what she hoped would be a private conversation if the Sky Man would allow it.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

"Let us ecort you back to where you came from. One of the guards will bring what they tried to steal from you." Willow placed her hand on Burtch's arm as she spoke, reaching out with the Force to his mind, hoping that it'd be open enough so that her voice could be heard within it ~Please help us to escape. We have seen you in our visions. You're moving away from the purple lion to something more grand.~
The words poured into his mind like ice and he resisted the urge to shudder.

So these young ladies are Force Users…

Back on Spindle IV, he had let some of the students touch his mind through the Force on a few occasions. Usually, the sensation he had felt had been little more than whispers, feelings, and subtle notions. But never before had he actually heard words spoken in his mind. To be able to use the Force like an efficient Commlink was a rare gift indeed, according to Burtch’s understanding. Burtch himself could barely use the Force to convince water to become wet, so he was a little melancholy at the way the young lady had pushed into his own mind so easily.

"It must be worth a lot. But don't worry. No one will try to steal it from our guards. It'd be a crime, otherwise."

He pushed his thoughts aside and nodded his head at the words the two women had spoken out loud, “yes, and thank you. I appreciate the company. I came from the nearest cruiser birth where my ship is receiving repairs. That stupid thing is very important to my flag captain, but I have no idea what it is worth.” He chuckled, “I must ask, what are your names? Mine is Admiral Burtch, or just Burtch to people who just saved me from a nasty beating.” He grinned a rare grin

He then glanced furtively at the guards and then attempted to focus his mind. He was fairly confident that he was unable to project anything other than an itch into the minds of the two women, but he could hope that they were listening in on his thoughts of their own accord, Why do need to escape? Are you in some sort of danger?

It was easy to feel the discomfort Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch had felt when Willow invaded his mind. Such an act was uncommon, outside of her own private interactions with Ivy. But this was an opportunity that she couldn't pass up.

She smiled though as Burtch covered up the discomfort well. Willow signalled to one of the guards to pick up the jetpack, while the twins began to escort him out of the alley, leaving the assailants behind. "Your ship? Could we see her? We have only been in a ship four times, and it wasn't very big."

"I'm Ivy and this is Willow. It's such a pleasure and honour to meet you! You are the colour of the sky, and that's very beautiful. Were you born that way or did you just choose it?" The twins had no knowledge of Chiss, especially as the species didn't visit Hutt Space very often.

As the small talk wore on, Willow responded to the questions that his mind had asked. ~Yes, we are in danger from the warlords. Forgive me for the intrusion into your thoughts. We normally ask for permission first, but we are desperate. Don't be fooled by the guards, our real protection is gone. If we stay here we'll die by torture and starvation. We need to be in the company of the Steel Angels right away.~ She kept her inner voice soft, especially given that she was doing a bad thing by invading his mind.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Burtch paid no mind to the guards as they did their thing with the jet pack. After the trouble it had just caused him, he could be better off not ever seeing it again now. Next time it gets stolen, Treyfa is on her own…

"Your ship? Could we see her? We have only been in a ship four times, and it wasn't very big."

"Well," Burtch normally wouldn't want anyone to see his ship in the sorry state that she was in, but he could tell that the two women wanted more than just a tour. They wanted more time to talk and make their case for escaping with him, "she's in a sad state right now and the repairs she's receiving are pretty extensive, but there are some decks that are still susceptible to visitors. I suppose a small tour couldn't hurt. Especially for those who saved my skin."

"I'm Ivy and this is Willow. It's such a pleasure and honour to meet you! You are the colour of the sky, and that's very beautiful. Were you born that way or did you just choose it?"

Burtch snorted at that in spite of himself. Living life in the navy, he didn't get to meet many humans that lived under a proverbial rock. He found the comments on his skin colour rather amusing, "I was indeed born this way, yes. I am a Chiss, from the unknown regions. My people evolved this way." He briefly wondered why they always walked so closely together, but thought better of asking why. It was strange behaviour, even for twins to be so close like that all the time. Attachment issues, perhaps?

~Yes, we are in danger from the warlords. Forgive me for the intrusion into your thoughts. We normally ask for permission first, but we are desperate. Don't be fooled by the guards, our real protection is gone. If we stay here we'll die by torture and starvation. We need to be in the company of the Steel Angels right away.~

~ It's fine, ~ Burtch attempted his reply in the method he had used before. He hoped it came through clearly but at least his previous attempt had been a success, ~ I'm a military man, so I understand emergencies. I might be able to help you, but I need more information. How urgent is your emergency? How do you know you're in danger? What do you mean by 'steel angels' and 'the Purple Lion'? ~

Burtch was fairly confident that he knew what the purple lion was, but he wanted to observe the nature of their response. What they perceived the purple lion to be would give him an idea of who these women were in the grander scheme of things. That part about the steel angels, however, had him completely lost…

Willow smiled brightly as Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch granted them permission to tour his ship. It was another step towards the freedom that others had longed for them. Only after Broka disappeared did they come to realized the gilded cage that they were in. Protection was paramount when they were denied the right to learn to look after themselves.

But maybe now it'll be different.

To hear that his ship was hurt saddened them. Given their first impression of him, they doubted that the repairs Burtch had begun work on weren't caused by a disregard for the ship's welfare. It had to be because of battle. But neither of the twins wanted to delve deeper into the cause just yet.

"Chiss? From the Unknown Regions? Are they still unknown? Or do people know about them now?"

While Ivy kept Burtch occupied outwardly, Willow continued their inner conversation. ~Broka the Hutt is gone. He kept us safe from the warlords that would otherwise cage us and use our gifts for themselves. And they will be coming for us very soon. We are Seers that follow the threads that connect everyone and everything. The purple lion walked ahead of you, but now your path divides. You can either choose to continue to follow him, or go your own way and forge a new path towards something new. Steel Angels take you off world and protect you in their bellies from the dangers of space. You care about yours to see her repaired. We can find out if she cares about you too.~

Grand Shepherd Burtch

"Chiss? From the Unknown Regions? Are they still unknown? Or do people know about them now?"

While Ivy kept Burtch occupied outwardly, Willow continued their inner conversation. ~Broka the Hutt is gone. He kept us safe from the warlords that would otherwise cage us and use our gifts for themselves. And they will be coming for us very soon. We are Seers that follow the threads that connect everyone and everything. The purple lion walked ahead of you, but now your path divides. You can either choose to continue to follow him, or go your own way and forge a new path towards something new. Steel Angels take you off world and protect you in their bellies from the dangers of space. You care about yours to see her repaired. We can find out if she cares about you too.~

Burtch failed to hide his wince as both girls spoke to him through two different means at the same time. That was a bit much…

On top of that, there was a bit of sadness that came through the telepathic words of the one called Willow. It was a strange sensation to feel a hint of someone else's emotions like that. And they seemed directed at his statement on the state of the Shii-Cho. He briefly wondered what about his ship would cause such sadness in beings such as these two.

But at least he could now deduce what "Steel Angels" were. Ships. Obviously. A strange description, but Burtch figured that seers - as Willow mentioned they were - were prone to metaphors and riddles. He'd work with that. But the part about the "Purple Lion" was strange. Were they hinting that his time with the Elysium Empire could be coming to an end? Many questions came to mind, but he could only deal with so much at one time.

"Um," he paused to try and sort out the barrage of information that had just hit him. Normally, being a bridge officer, sorting out multiple voices at once was just part of the job during a battle. But the telepathic angle really threw him off for a second. He gathered himself and spoke out loud first, "well, the unknown regions are relatively uncharted and… difficult to chart as it were. And the routes are hard to maintain for long periods of time. There are various reasons for that, but I don't think it's worth getting into for now…" he then focused his mind, now a little more confident in this weird communication method, ~ well, I can help you, but not right away. We will do a short tour of the ship, but I need you to give me as many details about where I can find you and the best time to come get you. Any details on potential opposition would also be highly appreciated. I understand that you can't tell me openly or write anything down while we're being watched, but you can tell me in this method and I'll memorize the details.

~ Now what is this bit about the "Purple Lion"? Are you talking about the Empire? Are you saying that someone is going to be betrayed or something? ~

Suddenly, a blue skinned woman wearing a purple navy uniform and a leg brace limped into the street in front of them. She stopped in her tracks and looked at her admiral and his entourage quizzically. Then, her eyes fell on Burtch's wounded form and concern lined her face, "Admiral, are you ok? Did you get my jetpack back? And who are these people?"

Burtch chuckled weakly, "I'm fine, Captain Treyfa. These two ladies and their bodyguards helped me recover your damn contraption from the thieves and saved me from a nasty beating." He then gestured to the twins, "this is Willow and Ivy, respectively."

Ivy nodded as Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch explained a bit about the Unknown Regions. As far as she could tell, people from there were rare, which probay explained why they hadn't come across a Chiss before now. But then again, the Hutts and Warlords might not like them.

Both of the twins heard what Burtch was saying in Willow's mind, yet it was Willow that responded, for she had the strongest connection to him at this moment. ~We live in Broka's Palace. It's not hard to find as it's the largest building here. Our balcony for our room is in the Eastern tower. There'll be fireworks going off tonight, so that'll be a good distraction for everyone. You won't have to worry about our guards if you come from the balcony. Do you have anything big enough to carry us?~

She was going to say more, but then Treyfa appeared. Both twins looked to her leg brace and then up at her, giving polite smiles as they were introduced. "He was very brave to chase them down. These streets can be nasty at times. It is why we're always under guard. We don't run very well."

"It's lovely to meet you!"

Grand Shepherd Burtch

. ~We live in Broka's Palace. It's not hard to find as it's the largest building here. Our balcony for our room is in the Eastern tower. There'll be fireworks going off tonight, so that'll be a good distraction for everyone. You won't have to worry about our guards if you come from the balcony. Do you have anything big enough to carry us?~

She was going to say more, but then Treyfa appeared. Both twins looked to her leg brace and then up at her, giving polite smiles as they were introduced. "He was very brave to chase them down. These streets can be nasty at times. It is why we're always under guard. We don't run very well."

"It's lovely to meet you!"

~ We have a couple wookie marines with jetpacks similar to the one your guards are holding that should be strong enough to carry you. From there, we can get to a flat topped building and airlift you to the Shii-Cho as she's taking off. I'll have to rush her repairs so that the hyperdrive is ready by then, but her sublights are still fast enough to make an escape. I can still go back to Damascus Station to finish the repairs that remain unfinished. I don't like leaving her unfinished like this, but it seems we have a deadline. A shame, really. ~ Burtch replied automatically. He realized that it was easy to "over share" in this form of communication as the "distance" from turning thoughts into words was much much shorter this way. It actually took considerable effort to hold back his thoughts, whereas it was the opposite to speaking for him. He didn't typically like to talk about everything on his mind so freely. It was a little unsettling, even if these ladies didn't mean him any harm.

The Twins greeted Treyfa politely, and Treyfa was pleased. She noted the comment where they 'don't run very well' and gave them a quick look-over before her eyes lit up in realization, "oh wow! I hope I don't embarrass you by saying this, but I've never met conjoined twins before! I think it's so fascinating! I can certainly see how it would take courage to explore a city like this in your position. I doubly thank you for saving my admiral!" She grinned warmly.

Conjoined twins???? Burtch nearly coughed in surprise. He hoped that they hadn't heard his thoughts that time, but he wasn't sure how this mind-reading thing worked. He looked at the way they were standing so close together once again and it made total sense. He was embarrassed that he hadn't noticed before. Beyond his control, his mind blurted out once again, ~ will you two be alright with wookies carrying you with your… condition? ~ His face flushed with even more embarrassment.

As they walked, they rounded a corner to the last leg of their journey back to the pier. The Shii-Cho was not quite within sight yet.

~Shii-Cho....is that your Angel's name? It's beautiful. She might not like being here so much anyways. And we're sorry that your plans are ruined. But we'll make it up to you....somehow.~ Willow and Ivy had some credits to give him. Maybe that would help in the short run. For the long run, however...

Ivy grinned and the twins curtsied to Treyfa. "Oh we're not embarrassed. There is no other way that we'd rather be."

"It was our guards that did all the work. We merely urged them to do it."

Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch caught their attention as he nearly coughed in surprise. Had he not been aware? Had he not seen? If not then he had to have been the first. It made them both wonder if his behaviour towards them would change, for most saw their connection to eachother as a disability. Yet for them it was the comolete opposite.

Burtch's question entered Willow's mind quickly, and she giggled a little as his cheeks turned a slight shade of purple. ~Yes, but we worry more for your wookies. We don't think that they've encountered anyone like us before.~ .

"It would probay be best for you to not stray too far from your ship. There are many....opportunists around that can easily pick your pockets." Or steal jetpacks, like they had just discovered.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

~Shii-Cho....is that your Angel's name? It's beautiful. She might not like being here so much anyways. And we're sorry that your plans are ruined. But we'll make it up to you....somehow.~

Burtch cocked his eyebrow at the part where Willow mentioned that his ship 'might not like it here' and he pondered that. It was a strange coincidence that he had been talking with his flag captain about his ship "waking up" just a few minutes ago. But when it came to Force users, rumour had it that "coincidences" were pat of life. Things were clearly changing for him and his ship. ~ It's alright, and yes that's her name. And you don't have to worry about making it up to me. You spent your resources to help me, so I will do the same, if for no other reason than on my honour. ~ he assured them.

Ivy grinned and the twins curtsied to Treyfa. "Oh we're not embarrassed. There is no other way that we'd rather be."

"It was our guards that did all the work. We merely urged them to do it."

"It would probay be best for you to not stray too far from your ship. There are many....opportunists around that can easily pick your pockets." Or steal jetpacks, like they had just discovered.

"Wow, I can certainly admire that kind of attitude!" Treyfa beamed at the twins as they walked together. Burtch could tell that she was trying to make friends in her way once again, "Well, thank you so much! Not only did you save my jetpack, but my admiral too. I can't thank you enough for that." As she spoke she maneuvered through the walking formation towards the guard that was carrying the item of interest and acquired it with a polite "thank you". She then spoke to the Twins again, "and, yes I do think that keeping to the ship is a better plan in the future. Speaking of her, you interested in a tour of the Shii-Cho? I certainly hope Admiral Burtch thanked you properly."

Although Treyfa's passive aggressive comment grated his nerves, Burtch was somewhat grateful that Treyfa was holding up the verbal part of the conversation. It allowed him to pretend to look deep in thought while focusing on his inner conversation with the twins.

Burtch's question entered Willow's mind quickly, and she giggled a little as his cheeks turned a slight shade of purple. ~Yes, but we worry more for your wookies. We don't think that they've encountered anyone like us before.~ .

~Our marines are top notch.~ Burtch firmly asserted, ~and wookies are known for their ingenuity and strength. They will be able to handle your forms well enough, I should think. You will also have time to contemplate how the best way to carry you will be managed, since you know your bodies better than anyone. Acquiring you shouldn't be a problem if we prepare in advance.~

Suddenly, the entourage emerged from the final gangway and onto the shipyard pier that overlooked the stall where Shii-Cho was docked. Her battered and scored form seemed to rest like a sleeping monster while welding arcs and grinding sparks blossomed from scaffolding stations. Small and large hovercranes alike were lifting various chunks of metal components to and away from the exposed sections under the ship's armour. The air around the ship felt like the breathing of a slumbering Rancor. As the group stopped before the massive vessel, Burtch felt as though giant eyes were resting on all of them, judging, curious. She did not stir, but seemed like she was watching him, Treyfa, and the Twins quietly.

Burtch could feel his heart racing, like he was in the presence of a bedridden loved one… one that he both feared and respected…

The twins liked Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch very much. He didn't try to use them or try to take advantage of them in any way. Instead he seemed very humbled, probay in part to them saving him from a bad beating. Regsrdless he was a good man and in their experience in Hutt Space, good men were hard to find. ~Thank you very much. We can see why she likes you. Your connection grows stronger the closer that we approach. We see them as webs or bits of string, coloured and glittering. There are so many everywhere and they split in numerous directions...the Galaxy is a vibrant tapestry of them....~ Willow felt that she was losing herself in her thoughts and didn't want to take Burtch on the journey with her, so she pulled back from his mind a bit.

Ivy, on the other hand, was beaming with Treyfa's uplifting mood. They hadn't really been in the presence of someone such as her, so Ivy hung onto her every word. "Oh yes, we would love a tour! I hope you don't mind that our guards will be with us."

Burtch spoke into Willow's mind again, reassuring her of the strength of his men. Yet she had to think of just how the pair would fly.....And then it came to her, in a flash like a dream, causing her to smile. ~We have a swing on our balcony made of wood and metal chains. We could sit on that and be carried that way. During the fireworks would be best. It'll cover the noise and fire.~ The guards she knew how to take care of so that the escape would succeed.

Both twins stopped when they saw the Schii-Cho laying there with so many things around her buzzing in and around her. "What a beautiful Lady..."

"With her maids-in-waiting attending her too! Just look, Ivy!"

"I see them! But they are not her usual ones, so she's quite unimpressed."

"Oh but she's patient, ever so patient."

The twins giggled and interlocked their fingers, ever so excited for the tour that lay just ahead of them.

Some time later, the sky was growing dark. A huge feast was had and nearly finished. In a little under an hour, the fireworks would begin. And so too would their rescue.

Willow and Ivy nibbled on their desserts. A huge buffet sat on the big table in their room, partly devoured. They could never eat as much as a Hutt, yet the cooks never failed to bring them a lot of food anyways.

Already they were prepared for their departure. Two of their guards lay asleep on the floor behind the table and out of sight. Their couch was placed at their door, while a firepoker was pinned across the doorhandles preventing entry. Two satchels with bits of their clothing and jewelry sat on the swing on their balcony.

Now all that they had to do was wait. Freedom was coming. And this time they wouldn't be scared.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

The first of many fireworks erupted in the sky, booming and flashing in a colourful display. The explosions lit up the balcony where the twins sat watching and munching. Nothing seemed to happen.

Then, suddenly, a small one-eyed droid drifted up and over the railing of the balcony on repulsorlifts and flew over to the girls. It stopped in front of them and nodded its whole body at them like a head in greeting, "hello, my name is ECP-63, personal protocol droid to Grand Admiral Burtch. Your escorts should be right behind me shortly, and I come bearing a message from my master"

The droid then turned and his eye lit up brighter as it began to project a small sized image of the Chiss Admiral, who then began to speak immediately, " Willow & Ivy Willow & Ivy , I didn't want to risk a transmission, so this is a recording. A team of six marines are almost at your position if they haven't arrived already, but they are not subtle. Their jetpacks are loud and bright and their armour hosts no stealth features whatsoever. Once they begin scaling the side of your building, the clock starts ticking, so be quick. I've had my fabricators on the Shii-Cho build you a custom harness that will work well with your…"

Suddenly, ECP-63 exploded from a blaster shot from the top of a building across the street! Fragments showered over the twins.

Returning blaster fire erupted from just below the balcony…

Willow and Ivy finished eating their desserts just as the little droid sent by Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch had arrived. Their hearts began to race as they always did when what they had foreseen was about to come to pass. Only this time it was something that they were looking forward to.

"Hello. We're pleased to meet you."

And then the message began. The twins had seen such holo-transmissions before, especially as they sat in with meetings that Broka had with others. Yet it surprised them to see someone that they knew in such a way. It was difficult to believe that the Chiss could look...more blue. But he did!

The twins were about ready to sit on their swing, but then the droid exploded in front of them, causing them to scream and cover their heads. Even with Broka being gone, they still appeared to be prisoners....

"The cameras, Ivy!"

"I know! I forgot...I thought they were no longer active!"

The twins spoke and gathered their satchels as the firefight ensued. They had no weapons of their own and could only wait things out. Risking the chance of getting hit, they crouched down on their balcony.

Meanwhile the guards continued their attack on the six marines, opening fire from the adjacent rooftop. Overhead the fireworks began, almost hiding the sounds of the erupting firefight below them. And out in the hallway, more guards used a make-shift battering ram to try to break their door down.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Three marines, covered with shimmering energy shields, rocketed up and over the balcony as blaster bolts seemed to chase them in. Two larger, helmeted marines clumsily slammed their boots down on the floor in front of the twins while a much smaller, more agile one, jetpacked over the railing, grabbing it with his hand, and swung smoothly onto the floor with graceful skill.

All three of the marines then took cover behind the railing and began firing at the enemies that were on the skyhook across from the balcony while one of the larger marines roared loudly in the wookie tongue. Upon hearing the signal from the wookie marine, three more marines took advantage of the new covering fire from the first three, and jetted up over the railing to meet their comrades. Each of the three newest marines were of different builds and sizes each, but were wearing helmets that hid their species.

The small marine that had arrived so smoothly with the first three ducked behind cover and removed his helmet. He was a Dornean male, of middle age for his species, with a sharp wildness in his eyes. His gaze fell on the ducking twins and it could be seen that there was an intellect behind those eyes.

He set his blaster on the ground while the five other marines continued firing, and spoke loudly so that he could be heard over the tirade, "My name is Sergeant Roz'yrn. Me and my team are here to extract you from this facility. Are you injured in any way and are you able to move?"

One of the marines yelped in a gravelly Mon Calamari voice as his entire energy shield collapsed from a blaster bolt to the side of his head. He didn't go down though, which meant that his armour must've absorbed the rest of the damage.

A loud slam hit the door to the twins' room and the heads of all six of the marines turned to look. Two of the marines that just arrived, a mon cal female, and a trandoshan male, yelled something at Sergeant Roz'yrn. He shouted something back at them and they stepped away from the railing, positioning themselves between the twins and the barricaded door as living shields. Their blasters were trained in the door while the three remaining marines kept shooting at the guards on the other skyhook.

Willow and Ivy remained crouched as the marines that Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch sent to them had arrived. The firefight around them was loud, not to mention the fireworks above and the battering ram hitting their door. It was almost like a nightmare, but for the twins it would only become that if their rescue failed.

They turned their heads to Seargent Roz'yrn as he spoke to them. "We're fine! We're not hurt! We're siamese twins! We have to stay together!" Neither were sure if everyone on the rescue team knew of the twins being physically attached to one another, so it was better to be upfront about it first. Especially as they were going to be airlifted out of there.

Ivy clenched her jaw. The marines all had shields, yet the twins did not. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem. And it was certainly something for them to think about in the future. Protection was what they needed the most.

The battering ram burst through the door. Gloved hands grasped the edge of the hole and pulled back on it, bending the wood until it snapped, creating an even larger hole. Shouts were heard in the hallway mere seconds before the barrels of blaster rifles poked through and began opening fire on the marines.

"We need to go straight up! It's the only way!" Getting out of range of the blaster bolts was the best option that she could come up with. At least being up high, they wouldn't have to worry about avoiding enemy fire from multiple directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom