Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Makashi-class light cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Fleet Commander For The Nomadic Peoples Coalition

3D Render by Adamkop
51A7A4CE-3B1A-4DF4-BBF2-80C41797CC92.jpg

2 point perspective view
image0.jpg

External systems layout and 3rd angle projection
image0.jpg

Internal systems layout
image0.jpg

Makashi Class Light Cruiser

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a light cruiser for the Elysium empire battle line.
  • Image Source: My Drawings (Heath helped with the cleaned up blueprint image), 3D render is a private commission job by Adamkop that I paid for.
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: (X)
  • Primary Source: N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Light cruiser
  • Length: 500 meters
  • Width: 150.5 meters
  • Height: 111.25 meters
  • Crew Compliment:1064
    • Enlisted: 740
    • Officers: 174 (31 bridge officers, 143 deck and belowdecks officers)
    • Marines: 110 (100 troops, 10 officers)
    • Small ship pilots: 40
  • Armament: High
    • 16 multipurpose frigate-class double turbolazers with high speed traverse and elevation servos (4 dorsal port, 4 ventral port, 4 dorsal starboard, 4 ventral starboard)
    • 4 Tractor beam projectors
    • Additional weapons modules can be any of the following but are not limited to:
      • 8 ion cannons (4 port, 4 starboard)
      • 8 heavy proton torpedo tubes (4 port, 4 starboard. 4 reloads per tube)
      • 8 heavy turbolazers (4 port, 4 starboard)
  • Defenses: Average.
  • Hangar Space: Average
  • Hangar Allocations:
    • Starfighters: 2 squadrons (1 fighter squadron and 1 light bomber squadron) (3 squadrons total with fighter hangar modules)
    • Support Craft: 1 Squadron = 4 ships per squadron (2 squadrons with logistics hangar modules)
  • Maneuverability Rating: Low
  • Speed Rating: Very High
  • Hyperdrive Class: Average | 2.0, backup 10.0

STANDARD FEATURES
  • Standard Military Communications Array
  • Standard Military Deflector Shield Generator
  • Standard Hyperdrive
  • Standard Military Ion Engines
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Military Navigational Systems
  • Standard Military Repulsorlift Engines
  • Standard Military Sensor Array
  • Can Enter Atmosphere and Land

ADVANCED SYSTEMS
  • Highly sophisticated targeting arrays and fire control systems are the envy of naval gunnery divisions of other ships. Long range targeting scanners and range finders as well as fire control hardware is tied directly into ships stabilizers and software is tied directly into the advanced ECM cyber warfare and malware suites for additional ship-to-ship accuracy.
  • Highly advanced ECM cyber warfare and malware suites to provide additional support and protection for smaller warships under it’s care.
  • Implements 4 modular insert slots (2 port, 2 starboard) which fit in the trench between the upper and lower hull armour plates.

STRENGTHS
  • Long range gunnery. Main armament is extremely accurate and effective at long ranges.
  • High speed tracking and targeting. Main battery is exceptionally effective against small strikecraft such as fighters and bombers at any range.
  • Modularity. Modular inserts can be interchanged from between the upper and lower hull armour plates on either side for the ship, port and starboard.
  • Firewall compartmentalization. When sections of the ship are damaged or destroyed, the rest of the ship is (usually) protected from cataclysmic chain reaction explosions. Even crippled, Makashi class light cruisers are capable of coming home most of the time. If not, it’s not unreasonable to expect to find survivors in a drifting wreck of this ship.
  • Fast Engines. Built to keep up with smaller ships like corvettes and frigates.

WEAKNESSES
  • Exposed bridge superstructure is an easy target at close range.
  • No secondary weapons batteries. If modular inserts do not contain weapons, main armament is the only armament and commanding officers must choose between defending against strikecraft or enemy capital ships.
  • Weak close quarters capital ship combat. Main battery is weak against equal sized capital ships up close. Hull armor configuration is easier to weaken at close quarters at close range. Torpedo modules can increase short range combat capabilities at the expense of survivability due to the explosive ordinance that is stored deep in the hull. Firewall compartmentalization would likely keep the ship from getting atomized in the explosion, but the detonation would end the ship’s fight in an instant and force a retreat if the ship is able.

DESCRIPTION
The Makashi class light cruiser was a line of ten cruisers built by Vienstien Labs and Innovation, named after one of the many lightsaber forms and their variants that Jedi and Sith are known to use in combat. This class was originally supposed to be called the Shi Cho class light cruiser, but in development, the actual ship named Shi Cho suffered a major cataclysm just before her debut launch and was therefore delayed. Thus, the Makashi, named for the second lightsaber form, became the leader of this class.

The Makashi class light cruiser was developed to fill the gap between the small picket ships of the Elysium Empire Navy and their massive heavyweight capital ships. She was built with modularity and long range fire support in mind. Members of the Elysium brass pushed for a ship that could act as a command ship for vulnerable Frigates and Corvettes. Her engineers therefore designed her to have a longer effective firing range than most ships of the line and so they designed an entirely new and innovative fire control system that integrates aiming hardware with the ship’s stabilizers. It also integrates the fire control software with the ECM cyber warfare and malware suites, which were also beefed up tremendously. The original design called for cruiser-sized guns as the main battery, but was downsized to frigate size to reduce recoil and increase stability. The end result is that the Makashi class light cruiser has the longest effective firing range of any ship her size to date in the Elysium Empire.

The Turbolaser turrets are also designed to be extremely effective in local control when not engaged with the gunnery directors for bridge control. Innovative traverse and elevation servos, as well as state of the art tracking systems allow these guns to be exceptionally effective against starfighters and strikecraft. For this reason, the Makashi class light cruiser does not have any secondary batteries of lighter weapons for strikecraft defence.

While she is not particularly maneuverable, even for her size, her stabilizers are very robust to keep her on an even keel in even the most extreme conditions. The end result is the perfect gun-platform for all purpose combat at the expense of some agility. As far as straight up speed, she is as fast as most corvettes so that she can maintain the same mission profile as her corvette fleet members in most scenarios.

Her shipwrights designed her interior structure with anti-boarding choke points and blast compartmentalization in mind. The choke points are reinforced with defensive laser turrets and tactical ray-shielding, making her hard to board for enemy marine incursions. The various interior sections of the ships, such as fuel bunkers, ammunition magazines, sub-reactors, crew quarters, etc, are all well-buffered from each other with heavy durasteel-plasteel laminated firewalls. If any of these sections experience a detonation, the chances of the whole ship becoming a giant powder keg is minimal.

The external defences are decent but are not the main focus of her design. The shields are average for a ship of this size and are best suited for long range gun-fights. The hull armour is highly reinforced to give the shields time to recharge. During that time, systems, weapons and the bridge are vulnerable to short range capital ship fire. For this reason this ship is best utilized in the battle line as a sort of “sniper”.

The hangar bay is modest but extremely efficient. Two hangar bay entrances flank the ship on either side amidships and they converge in the middle to a central hangar corridor that runs through half the ship and right to the bow where a third bay entrance provides through-the-ship access. Right inside the amidships access points, there are catch-cranes for fighters and support craft and a rigid rail system used to quickly sequester all ships to their designated rack stalls.

Starting from the amidships hangar access bays and going to the bow, first up in the layout are the support craft stalls that flank the main corridor that runs up the whole hangar. 2 craft of various configurations are on either side of the corridor. Next up is the hangar ammo and fuel bunkers, which are, of course, properly compartmentalized inside heavy firewalls to protect the rest of the ship from a detonation. Next are the fighter racks, lined up as 6 below and 6 above on high speed launch racks both port and starboard of the main hangar corridor, this amounting to 24 fighters total. There is enough room on the hangar corridor floor to perform heavy maintenance on 6 fighters and 4 support craft at any given time. The rail-and-catch-crane system is capable of refueling and rearming a steady stream of fighters as they enter the bay through the amidships access and leave out the bow access without stopping to land on the deck.

The interchangeable modular emplacements are situated on either side of the ship tucked in between the upper and lower hull armour. This function is intended to allow this ship to easily configure for a wide range of different mission profiles. Each type of module has advantages and disadvantages. On top of that, the design was originally promised to have an overhaul time of 1 standard day switching between modules, but the design struggled to achieve this and the overhaul time is 5 days. Each module configuration has advantages and disadvantages.

Also worthy of note, this ship can easily be configured as a mass-troop landing vehicle. The fighters can be swapped for tanks. Troops and ground vehicles can disembark via the loading ramp on the ventral side of the ship.

After the first production run of these vessels were a big success, Mandal-Elysium Arms was commissioned to help create the next prduction run.

Modifications list. January 15 2022:
  • Added new 3D render by Adamkop
  • Updated manufacturing data
  • Cleaned up the original format and added the purple div.

Last edited:
We have a lot to unpack.

First, those your drawings? If so, just write into the Image Source: "My Drawings" or something like that.

Second, clearly define your ratings. No muddling it, Define The Ratings. Use None, Very Low, Low, Average, High, Very High, or Extreme. No muddling it, use one of them. You can do Average (Low) if wished with an explanation beside it on how it works. These trade offs MUST match for each one it trades off with other ratings.

Lastly, if you honestly want a ship this modular, you most likely just want it as a strength instead of cluttering up the page underneath. Please do that instead. Plus, it should be a strength anyway.

Let me know when you clean this up a bit.
Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch

Second, clearly define your ratings. No muddling it, Define The Ratings. Use None, Very Low, Low, Average, High, Very High, or Extreme. No muddling it, use one of them. You can do Average (Low) if wished with an explanation beside it on how it works. These trade offs MUST match for each one it trades off with other ratings.
Define it, no muddling. As I said before. I would just remove the long and short range, it makes no difference here in the long wrong. It is supposed to be a total of all armament and how defenses work on average, not by best situation.

Grand Shepherd Burtch Grand Shepherd Burtch

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Listib Hibin Listib Hibin

ok I think starting to get the hang of this now. Heath also helped me make sense of this. With a limited production rating does that mean I’m underpowered now?

I also erased the clutter on the armament and defensive rating.

Last edited:

Grand Shepherd Burtch

ok I bumped up the armament one rating.

Is it ok if I leave one rating undefined so that the modular slots can be used to bump up a rating as needed? Is it even necessary, or is it too confusing, or is that a legitimate use of a modular system?

if it’s too hectic, I will put it towards speed.

Last edited:

Grand Shepherd Burtch

ok I made the change!

thank you for your help! I’ve had these designs for years so it was a challenge to fit it into the chaos format. I feel like we pulled it off now. I promise my next builds will be less of a headache lol

is there anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom