Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korriban... Destroyed?

No one said the planet is being blown up.

The planet is being destroyed on the surface, tombs collapsed, academies destroyed and made into dust, wildlife wiped out, anyone on the planet not a pc incinerated but the planet will remain around just have some big craters in it. If the Mando's decide to do this after they do the same to Kaas and Circe's fleet.

A good while since Kaine is the emperor still. Problem with the talks of the empire falling is people keep assuming Kaine's up and leaving. No he and all sith loyal to him are staying in power until the end most likely. Just working to write a powerful story.

Hmm...I don't know what math is being used, but there's a lot more involved with destroying things on the surface than people realize, and speed is only part of the equation (I mean that literately, there is an equation, several to be honest). You are better off using ships to glass the planet for one very important reason: if two meteors with a diameter of about 150 km were to strike opposite sides of the Earth today, it would completely change the rotation of the planet, and kill off everything alive, including bacteria.

I like the discussion, I love that we're making a story, but please reconsider this idea of destroying everything on the planet. If you want to glass it, glass it; don't throw sh*t at it. The Chicxulub crater was created by the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, a meteor with a diameter of 180 km. It changed the atmosphere, not to mention everything else. Having twenty-five meteors with...what, 500x500x500, volume? I'm hoping that's in meters, because that would otherwise mean you're sending the new species killer that's bigger than what killed the dinosaurs >.> Heck with the species, the planet itself would be knocked from its orbit. If it's in meters, which it should for the sake of scale, their combined radius wouldn't even be a kilometer. They will burn up in the atmosphere long enough that when they hit, they will not do very much damage at all because they've lost a portion of their speed due to air friction, if not just burn up out right. You'd knock down maybe one city, and it'd have to be reasonably small.

Please, if you must, just glass it, because while I can talk all day about how easy it would be to send a meteor to f*ck up a planet out of its orbit, the math of figuring out how to "stably" not destroy a planet would require enough calculations to where NPCs will ask why.

Guys, it's a made up planet about to get hit by a made up ship and a bunch of made up asteroids. If that's where the made up story takes up, then I'm all for some made up destruction and chaos.

MADE UP.

I would like to point out that the original intent was not to destroy Dromund Kaas. I had assumed that there would be more writers on the Sith side that would work furiously to defend the planet from both ground and space threats. I also assumed that there would be a reasonably sized defensive fleet parked in orbit that would be raining hell on the Mandalorian offensive and/or keeping the rest of our fleet pushed back and kept from helping the ground invasion. The asteroids were meant to be a quick way to smash through a small fleet that would be parked in a stationary orbit and smash through the Planetary Shields. The goal was just to bring down the shields and gain air superiority.

What went wrong was that my initial estimations of the math were horribly off. The asteroids I had grabbed were much larger, denser, and moving much faster than I had originally thought they would be. By the time we crunched the numbers to figure out -exactly- what the hell I was doing... Well... you'll see the results soon enough. And from an IC perspective, Circe's fleet gave Larraq all the IC reason in the world to do what he is about to do.

But destroying another world? No.

*Stands behind podium*
"I have no intention of destroying Korriban, or any other world. The destruction of Dromund Kaas was an OOC accident that resulted in a good IC story. It will not be repeated anytime soon and measures will be put in place to prevent such a tactic from being utilized in the future."
*walks away*

Korriban will, however, become a Mandalorian world. The Temples will be closed and sealed to keep intruders out. And military fortifications will be added to those already in place. The planet will be a bulwark against any further rising Sith and any existing Sith data or resources on the planet will be locked deep in the ground and far away from the hands of any wandering Sith survivor.

@[member="Captain Larraq"]

I understand that =) I'm just saying that the current scheme from what little I have read, and most of it has been from this thread, is way too much. If you cut back on the number and/or size of the meteors, the math can still work to get what you want, but without messing up the planet. I rounded my calculations down to figure out an about approximation, and it was beyond deadly >.> Just scale down with the attack, because something scaled down will still work against a fleet. Heck, you could make the meteors 10% of the original calculations and the ships will be torn apart.

@[member="Alen Na'Varro"]

I understand what you're saying, but Star Wars is part hard sci-fi. Yeah, the Force is the exception, there are a lot of things in Star Wars that are the exception (such as lightsabers), but physics is still very much part of this universe as it is ours. We cannot ignore it. Yeah, it's fun to suspend belief, but it ceases to be fun when people create Mary Sue characters and impossible/disastrous situations, this being one of those. There must be a limit. It's like contrasting video games and movies. People often think things are one way here, one way there, but it's often either one, or neither, not both. You can't have big meteors and expect only to destroy a city. It doesn't work like that.

I apologize to both of you if I am sounding condescending. I'm running on three hours of sleep, and reading about everything makes the scientist I am cringe. The details are important, both as a scientist and personally.

I need sleep T.T

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Without a Superweapon you can't blow up a planet. And since Superweapons are controlled by Staff, and the denial to blowing up planets isn't in the rules; this discussion needs more wow. :(

Jay Scott Clark said:
And that makes me sad. We should tots blow it up. :)
I could always find a bigger rock. With enough ships of Star Destroyer size or larger, each with several tractor beams, you can move almost anything.
Granted, it would take about 10,000 Star Destroyers... But you can theoretically just grab a moon or other small planetoids and smash it into a planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom