Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Sparrow for Supreme Chancellor: Press Conference (ask the candidate anything!)

Kashyyyk_zpsfdewykjm.jpg

Jack Sparrow stood behind the podium in front of his official senate office building on Kashyyyk. He looked rested and welcoming, nodding to the members of the galactic press and common citizens who'd come to hear him speak and inquire about his plans for the future.

Jack had chosen Kashyyyk for the view; high up in the trees, beneath the sprawling canopy of leaves, the air redolent of nature, the sun casting beams through the foliage, was meant to serve as a reminder that the galaxy was not all permacrete, durasteel, and the airless void of uncaring space. Life was not chrome and droids and endless combat. Life was leaves and air and camaraderie too. And Wookiees. Lots of Wookiees.

Jack politely covered his mouth with a slightly closed fist, clearing his throat, took a sip of something in a wooden tankard kept on a shelf inside the podium, and smiled. "Hello, and thank you all for coming," he began. "When I was first elected senator of Kashyyyk, I thought 'Well, someone's likely to die for this.' And I looked around for the responsible party or parties, with the intention of forcing them out of an airlock with a tether tied around their neck from low orbit, and then re-entering atmosphere whilst trailing their screaming body alongside like a flesh balloon. As an example to others, savvy? But." He paused here, and one corner of his mouth quirked up in a sly grin. "But." He held up a finger. "But look at me now. Kashyyyk has withstood invasion. We've helped to expand the Republic. We've opened trade with planets both within and without our borders. I myself have helped quell the traitorous actions of an evil that threatened to tear apart the very fabric of everything the Republic is meant to stand for. Not bad for a pirate, I'd say." He paused as laughter ran through the crowd. "'But Captain,' I hear you say, 'Don't you have a death sentence on no fewer than eight worlds? And aren't you banned from ever setting foot on thirteen others? And did you not, in fact, set fire to an entire planet?' To all of those things, I reply aye, I did that. But!" He raised a finger again. "None of those planets are, or were, in that one instance, part of the Republic! And that's who I aim to represent: the Galactic Republic. Now then, who's got a question?"

jackchange_zps3rgropfh.jpg

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Kay was making it a point to be there for this press conference. She knew little about [member="Jack Sparrow"] and his stance on any and all topics. Maybe he was reckless like she was, or maybe he had a brilliant strategic mind hidden beneath his flamboyant personality. It was hard to say at the moment. At this point it was best to find out as much as possible about each of the two candidates.

"Senator Sparrow, if I may...What is your take on the Jedi and Force users in general? There are many that don't trust them, but an equal amount that do. What is your opinion on them?"

[member="Jack Sparrow"] was a friend. It felt odd to say that about anyone who actively supported the Republic, but it was true. The man was something after Julius' own heart when you got right down to it. He understood something that Julius did, even if the needs of Julius' abilities and station meant sometimes he had to act contrary to it. And that was simply put as: Life is too short to not enjoy it's sweetness. And so, when he saw the buzz on the HoloNet, he did what he could to encourage his drinking and hijinks partner. He made up a simple leaflet (much like the image in Jack's OP, but with a line about voting for him as Supreme Chancellor) and filled the hull of his ship.

From there? He contact smugglers and pirates and more that he knew. Friends from the Galactic Alliance's Merchant Fleet. From the Underground and it's huge black market and shadowy network of contacts. Every single person he had in his short-list. Some turned him down, to be sure they did. They viewed it as a lark and a joke. But the majority, whether to humor the blademaster or because they agreed, took on the cargo he assigned. Crates were dropped all over Corellia... All over Socorro by Julius himself (and I'm sure the tailring rejoiced for such fine bedding!). One particularly risky maneuver was done in the heart of Coruscant itself, by the ruins of the Sith Temple. Places all over the galaxy, inside and out, found random parts of their cities and towns carpeted by a storm of leaflets supporting Jack's candidacy for being Supreme Chancellor. And rumors of more happenings to support his run were beginning to spread like wildfire, even attracting the sponsorship of several rum and whiskey conglomerates.

Julius even had a little mom-and-pop trinket maker on Sullust make him an order of buttons resembling the leaflet design, and the back of his YT-2440, his beloved Turhaya had a few bumper stickers proudly proclaiming 'Jack Sparrow for Supreme Chancellor', 'Kashyyk THIS', and 'The rum isn't gone... YET'... Perhaps the funds could have been better spent elsewhere, true. Perhaps it was all ludicrous and over the top, because if you were realistic, it would never happen, no matter how good or bad Jack might be at the job if he got it. But again, there was that shared understanding, that base similarity between the two, that called to him. If nothing else, the Senator from Kashyyk would get a good laugh out of it.

Though he may question the sanity of his new friend for showing up to the conference in a new set of Jedi robes in his campaign colors, with a large stick sign saying 'JACK FOR SUPREME CHANCELLOR' with a stick figure wookie ripping a stick figure sith in half bodily. It was a toss-up really.

"Senator Kay," said Jack with a small wave of his fingers, "thank you for attending, and for asking the first question. My personal opinion of Force users in general is that they are dangerous and difficult to trust. When I look at what the Jedi, Sith, and whatever other nickname they choose to give themselves have done through the years, I see a centuries-long trail of violence and conflict. They wield powers that can control everything from the weather to people's minds. They can lift ships and throw boulders. They can shoot lightning and raise the dead. And that's without mentioning their glowy swords that they carry in ones and twos and staves and pikes and whips. The Jedi say they are not a source of law in the galaxy, yet they appear in large numbers wherever there is armed conflict. The Sith, at least, wear their ambitions on their sleeves, even if those ambitions are the destruction or enslavement of any who disagree with their collective lust for power. And, taken as a whole, they are some of the most whiny, petulant, needy, grasping, and emotionally unstable beings I've ever met." He paused to take a breath. "That's my opinion as a man. Now. As a senator, I must point out that the Jedi have nearly always sought to support the freedoms that form the basis of our Republic, and for that they must be commended. Should I be elected Supreme Chancellor, I will endeavor to work with them, and any Force user, in any way that benefits the Republic without further aggrandizing their Order, whatever color or shape or name they give it. I believe the Jedi can and should be leveraged as a useful tool. I also believe the One Sith to be no more or less troublesome than the Mandalorians, the Primeval, or the Silver Sanctum, except that their choice of name implies so much more more dark and malevolent awfulness, which is likely their point. Does that answer your question?"

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kashyyyk held a certain fondness to the pinkish Twi'lek. It had been a battleground several times, a refuge others, and occasionally a source of solace. She'd heard that [member="Jack Sparrow"] was to give a speech and take questions from audience members before the podium regarding his candidacy for the Republic's Supreme Chancellor position, she thought it interesting to attend the event, if for nothing more than an educational bout.

Making her short statured way through the swaths of Wookies who towered over her, she peeked her small robe-covered frame from the sea of brown fur coats close to where [member="Julius Sedaire"] stood with his poorly drawn sign, though it did put a rather unique smile on her face despite the lack of artistic talent he possessed.

Sera listened to the opening dialogue, followed by the question that [member="Lady Kay"] had posed just moments before. She listened eagerly to what the man would say, because, despite her lack of affiliation with the Jedi Order, she was still none the less a Jedi at heart, and his answer would intrigue her. Never did he cease to amaze her with his vivid description of her fellow Jedi, the Sith, and other Force users. And while Jack did answer Kay's question for the most part, his answer then left a question burning in her own mind. Since her self-imposed exile, she had understood that Jedi and other Force sensitives were typically barred from holding any kind of political office if they held allegiance to an Order. Jedi were also barred from holding a military rank, though not specifically barred from serving with units.

"Mr. Sparrow." Her hand raised, "How do you feel about those who manipulate the Force holding the offices of Senator, a rank within the formal Republic military, such as the Jedi Generals of old, or any other government office?" While she did her best to keep her appearance obscured, bright pink hands were not often the norm in the galaxy, and had anyone got a look at her pinkish tattooed face beneath the hood of her robe, it would be rather obvious who she was.

Kay-Larr

[member="Jack Sparrow"] 's personal opinion was slightly disturbing. It hadn't only been Force users that had brought chaos and oppression to the Galaxy. Non Force users were just as guilty and just as harsh. Look at the Empire. Sure the ones at the very top were Force users, but the Grand Moffs and other officers were not.

Just as Kay was about to ask a follow up question, [member="Seraphina Shel'tah"] asked it for her. It was the exact question that she was leaning towards.

"Oh, I'm opposed," said Jack immediately to the byzantine-colored Twi'lek maiden. "And unreservedly so. Do I think the Jedi, or for that matter the Sith, if worse comes to the worst, have a place on the battlefield as advisers? I do. Do I think they should be consulted in certain matters of mutual interest? I do. I believe the Republic should strive to never bolt a door that might open unto wisdom, as it were, so to speak, vis a vis. But I also believe that no being can serve multiple masters. If a Force user has been trained under one order or another, they've clearly made a life choice to develop a rather specific skill set, and are responsible for all that involves, which, in my opinion, means precluding themselves from holding official offices in the government or military. Add to that the concern that they may use their powers to influence a voting body, and I respectfully say..." Jack shook his head to indicate the negative.

He took another sip from his tankard and replaced it once again. "To summarize, then: yes, respectfully consult as needed, but no to formal presiding."

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

Shywooshk was not, by typical standards in the Galaxy at large, your average wookie... Not only was he stupendously tall, even for his race.. He clattered forward towards the podium, and the speaker, in what was instantly recognizable as powered armor which covered him from head to toe. Not only that, but it was karking beskar'kandar, without a shred of paint, motif, or anything on it, bare folded and hammer-marked metal of the Mandalorian people. Hanging from his hip was what was unreservedly and assuredly a lightsaber, but with a wooden hilt and handle to it. And on his back and along his armor were various nasty and dangerous looking weapons. His hands even looked to be covered in crushgauntlets of all things, and he appeared to have a repulsor pack on... Flying wookies, much less flying wookies in beskar-kandar power armor with lightsabers, would terrify any man. Apparently not Jack.

One might at first think this was some rebellious Kashyykian element come to cause trouble for the Senator on his day of triumph and glory. Or one might think this was a rogue wookie mercenary who disagreed with perhaps the Senators' economic stance on brylark product tarriffs? Either way, with how he moved, one would surmise the bid for Supreme Chancellorship might be short lived. However, it was noticably without violence the wookie removed his helmet suddenly, t-visor shape cradled in the crook of his arm, and eyed the man who arguably lead his people and planet, even without being part of their race. As he spoke, it was apparent it was in the native tongue of the wookie people, and that he fully expected Jack to understand.

"Senator Sparrow... I am Shywooshk. I came not to kill you.. But rather to ask you: You have always been concerned with the well-being of Kashyyk, even though the wookie people were not your own and you didn't particularly ask for the job you are in now. I have no doubts that you will do as you say. But I come to ask you to have a more open mind on us who utilize the Force. Will you hear me out, and accept me as one of your advisors? I will protect your life with my own, to show that perhaps not all of us are so bad..."

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Gray walked into the building wearing his only set of casual clothing. A gray tunic trimmed in dark blue, a pair of dark pants of similar design to his tunic, and a pair of dark leather boots. His blaster pistol was strapped to his right leg as always and on his hands he had his gauntlets from his armor. He wasn't sure why he kept those on for this, but he did. He came in as the twi'lek woman asked her question. He listened to the answer and then a wookie asked his question. He smiled a bit as he listened to the political talk. He didn't care for it much, but a merc must always be willing to do what he could to find a potential job.

After a moment he stepped up and cleared his throat. He said after the wookie, " I have a two questions for you. How is force users being in office any different than members of political families or factions holding an office in the Senate or any other position? Are they not also serving another master other than the government, and therefore the people, they are a part of? It seems to me they are doing the same thing. Seeking a position of power to further their respective philosophies. Also, what is your position on using mercenaries?"

[member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Seraphina Shel'tah"] [member="Shywooshk"]

Faith entered quietly. Listening she had a question of her own. She smiled she would wait for her turn to ask.

She saw on my Jack and Kay that she knew. The others were strangers.

[member="Gray Watcher"]@Shywooshk@Jack Sparrow[member="Lady Kay"][member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

Jack listened intently to the large, no to the very large, very well-armed and very persuasive-looking Wookiee. The pirate-turned-politician was fluent in Shyriiwook; he'd begun learning it many years ago and used it regularly with his Wookiee first mate Dewkazza. After the...Mandalorian? Jedi? Jack's mind boggled. After the Wookiee finished, the senator turned back to the microphone.

"[member="Shywooshk"] has asked to join my staff as both an advisor as as a bodyguard. Which, of course, I accept." He held out his hand, to find it engulfed in the mammoth paw of the newcomer. "He's also asked me to keep a more open mind about Force-using wizards. And this is where I feel I need to clarify. I do not, do not, quote me correctly here if you're to quote me at all, I do not lay the blame for all of the galaxy's hardship on the shoulders of the Jedi, the Sith, the Witches of Dathomir, or any other specific coterie of hand-waving saber-wielders." He made the universal sign for "These are not the droids you're looking for" with his right hand, allowing for a ripple of chuckles to move through the crowd. "Regular people like you and I are just as much to blame. Some moreso. [member="Popo"], for instance." He waved to a nearby holocam in case the Hutt was watching. "My objection to their holding office is based on their ability to do the hand-wavy thing. The ability to use their powers to boost their comrades-in-arms while simultaneously weakening their enemies. On the battlefield that is certainly a blessing, but who could stop them from using those powers to sway a vote? We've seen what that brings in the past. And here, ladies and others, is what I'm getting at: I'm one man. Trying to make a difference, savvy? I'm not saying vote for me over some Force-wielding superperson. As far as I know, there aren't any in the race anyway. I'm an open-minded former pirate. I invite the Jedi, the Sith, the Witches, the..." he looked to Shywooshk. "There are others, right? The 50 Shades of Gray Jedi? Are they a thing?" Jack shrugged. "I invite them all to do as Shywooshk has done. Come see me. Let's talk. Let's work together to overcome misconceptions and build a stronger, better...I really do sound like a politician, don't I? It's amazing. Better Republic for all her citizens."

Jack next addressed the man in the gray and blue tunic.

"How are Force users any different? I believe I've just answered, mate: regular people, people like me, aren't able to influence the wills of weak-minded people or control crowds with their thoughts. That ability, in my view, should perforce exclude them from holding a position where they can exert undue authority."

[member="Gray Watcher"]

Faith tilted her head, "Senator Sparrow how many bills have you been present to vote for in the last year?"

It was nice to have many words and opinions but someone needs to be around active in order to make good on promises.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Gray listened to Jack speak his mind. He couldn't help but agree that the idea of someone waving their hand and making people do what they wanted them to do sounded dangerous, but then again he had never meet one of these force users before either. What did he know about how it all worked?

Gray just smiled before he said, " I will give you that one, but I think you forget how effective a silver tongue can be at changing people's minds on things. So how about your stance on the use of mercenaries for Republic missions and positions?"

Jack spotted [member="Faith Balor-Organa"], the lovely senator from Alderaan, and acknowledged her question. "How many?" He looked into the air, as if that's where the answers lived. "Two? I think? How many bills were presented? If you can itemize them I can probably be more specific. I voted against Genevieve Lasedri, I remember that. You were there," he added, pointing to Faith. "We hugged afterwards. It was lovely and touching."

Kay-Larr

It was good to see [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] present. She was a good ally to have, and friend too. If they could call eachother that.

[member="Gray Watcher"] took the words right out of her mouth. Non Force users were also gifted in influencing people. You don't need to use mind control. Credits often ruled the Galaxy, as did other economic bribes. People that rule with fear and iron fists also influence minds.

"Whether or not a person is gifted with the Force shouldn't stop them from having a voice with equal leverage. They should be judged on their character and their actions, not on a fear of what evils they could do."

Everyone had their points on the matter. It was good to hear it being discussed.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Jack looked to the [member="Gray Watcher"], who had a follow-up question. "Mercenary forces? The Republic has used them in the past, if I recall. I'm of the mind that there are times when expediency is more important than decorum. If Republic troops can accomplish whatever's needed, they should be used exclusively. But if our forces are undermanned or overpowered, or if we can't reach the place of crises quickly enough, then I think continuing to maintain relationships with certain groups that possess...specific skills...is in everyone's best interests." He looked up at the Wookiee who still stood nearby. "Some of my best friends are Mandalorians, apparently," he added with a smile.

Lady Kay said:
"Whether or not a person is gifted with the Force shouldn't stop them from having a voice with equal leverage. They should be judged on their character and their actions, not on a fear of what evils they could do."
"Good [member="Lady Kay"]," smiled Jack, "At no time have I said that anyone should be kept from speaking their mind. The Republic is, mostly, a democracy after all. And the Senate does, at the end of the day, vote on things. We're not the Empire. We discuss. We argue. We vote. The position of Supreme Chancellor doesn't grant supreme authority. And as you might imagine, I, most of all, am asking to be judged on my actions, not on a fear of what evils I could do."

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

Gray frowned at the answer he had gotten. A typical response avoiding a yes or a no. This was why Gray didn't like dealing with politicians at times. He might as well be happy there was a chance for employment at least. He said, " So while not against it, you are not for it. Guess I should have figured as much. Thank you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom