Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Official

As much as I truly do hate it, as I prefer EU over the movies themselves, I understand what they're doing. As long as they don't slot anything with legends in the future, which they would have no reason to do, it'll be fine.

....unless the screw up the new movie.

Yoru Shakou

I hope that Disney doesn't follow Lucas' idea for Episode 7. I do not want to see the Cult of Vader and the Rebellion losing everything they worked for. >->

*Scratches head* I thought it was just the books after RoTJ, but whatever. Revan will live on in my memories. *cries*

They should really make the prequels non-canon too while their at it. That would make me feel much better.

This does not change what canon was before April 25, 2014 - if one takes George Lucas's definition. It also isn't a sign that all previously made works will be regarded as non-canon, or really completely disregarded: as the group that actually made this decision participated in the design of the Galactic Starfighter expansion of Star Wars: The Old Republic. The goal of this announcement is to show that they plan on changing the Holocron continuity into simply Canon/Non-Canon rather than a multi-level system.

Lucas has always said something like: The movies are the only thing I care about. I won't be held down by the EU.

Leeland Chee, who was in charge of organizing the canon continuity of Star Wars since 2000, has agreed with this statement for years. He created different levels of canon - which reflected upon this since the movies and TV show were above everything else.

The news and article titles such as, "All novels, games, and comics are non-canon!" is just sensationalist - either influenced by ignorance of what was Star Wars canon before the Lucasfilm announcement or by a desire for readers. Anyone can read the very announcement by Lucasfilm.

How I see things happening after this announcement:
  • The TV series the Clone Wars and Rebels will get bumped up to Canon along with all movies.
  • The EU as it was before will be rebranded under Legends. Lucasfilm won't be restricted by Legends in the creation of future content - yet it won't ignore it completely. Lucas did the same when making Episodes I, II, and III. It will essentially turn into reference material and sources for the new era of Expanded Universe - sort of how the EU always has been due to how little of an effort there was to limit contradictions until recently.
  • All future material will be a part of Canon except for novelizations/games/etc. going over content of the original version, which would be labeled under Legends. (ie. the novelization of Episode VII would be under Legends).
  • What was non-canon now remains as such.

Carn Dista

C
GOODBYE WHITE CURRENT.
GOODBYE FORCE LIGHT.
GOODBYE WALL OF LIGHT.
GOODBYE FORCE SEVER.
GOODBYE THON.
GOODBYE JKA.
GOODBYE KOTOR.
GOODBYE TOR.
GOODBYE EVERYTHING GOOD EVER OTHER THAN LIGHTSABER COMBA-
GOODBYE LIGHTSABER FORMS.
GOODBYE PLANT SURGE.
GOODBYE ANYTHING THAT MAKES THE UNIVERSE MORE INTERESTING.

Sarge Potteiger said:
SPEAR OF MIDNIGHT BLACK NON CANON?
It has arguably been non-canon (or really, not a part of C-Canon) since its introduction into the Expanded Universe. They came from a novelization of a video game and were never seen in the video game. It's also only referenced in two sources - both just simple articles rather than an encyclopedia or something such as the Jedi Path.

A lot of stuff that people use on this site as Force powers is either borderline non-canon or original content. If Staff had an issue with this, it would have already been addressed. If it becomes an issue now, it will be addressed properly in the future.

Daella Apparine said:
They have arguably been non-canon (or really, not a part of C-Canon) since its introduction into the Expanded Universe. They came from a novelization of a video game and were never seen in the video game. They're also only references in two sources - both just simple articles rather than an encyclopedia or something such as the Jedi Path.

A lot of stuff that people use on this site as Force powers is either borderline non-canon or original content. If Staff had an issue with this, it would have already been addressed.
Mason, this is the part where I reaffirm my hatred for you as a person because heaven forbid people be happy for once

Carn Dista

C
Also to echo sarge's question: are we canon or legacy? If canon, oh boy oh boy am I going to have a batshit fieldtrip on the Jedi.

Carn Dista said:
Also to echo sarge's question: are we canon or legacy? If canon, oh boy oh boy am I going to have a batpoodoo fieldtrip on the Jedi.
If canon we can't immediately go HAM IC, we'd have to let people try to adjust a bit. Give things time to settle. The 'staff' part of my mind says it won't matter, we'll stay in the EU - too deep to go back - but I can hope

Carn Dista said:
Also to echo sarge's question: are we canon or legacy? If canon, oh boy oh boy am I going to have a batpoodoo fieldtrip on the Jedi.
These stories we do don't count towards canon. None of what's featured here is going to show up on official channels as 100% approved. If anyone's going to use these announcements as an opportunity to brow-beat, check yourself. As far need be concerned, SWRP: Chaos follows it's own damn rules. Nothing's really changed. We all knew the EU was shaky, but most of us have embraced it anyway. It's still good RPing material. It's still good for adaptation in this setting. I'll lay off on any extra-materials when and only when it's a Staff ruling. That's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom