Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is College Necessary? Is it good for Society?

For some background, I work as an instructor at a college and am thus very much a part of it's process. I enjoy teaching, and want to become a full fledged member of faculty and do research. This makes me biased, I see the good in education. It can make people more curious, it can encourage learning at depth about particular subjects. You can create meaningful changes in society, new inventions, technologies, yet why it is not the only answer. I was "good" at college, some people are not, and I think that's something that's...ignored. Or treated as if it is an evil, I don't think it is. I don't want every student to go to college if that isn't what is best for them, for their mind, and their life.

I was thinking earlier, what do you all think about college? Did you go? Is it necessary? If that is the case, should we change it from being a "Higher Education" to simply an "Education" and make the government support it? Or is it purely the responsibility of individuals?

What about Trade Schools? I think these are an excellent alternative because not everyone wants to work in an office, and we need people to work other jobs. We'd all be up a creek if we had no plumbers.

Really I'd love to see what people think about this, if you hate college on the whole, which is a potential answer. Why? What is a good alternative? Did you have an experience there?

Aurelio Murtix

The Ambitious Noble
I feel like college is necessary, but as you said some people paint not going in a completely bad light, which is harsh since not everyone can afford to go. I was lucky enough to be able to do so, and while I would encourage people to go if you can't there should be other opportunities. Some people see the need to drop out of education and start working to support their families, which is a shame, but if colleges and/or trade schools were cheaper and provided some sort of benefit to the family the same person would be able to attend and become a better citizen without worrying. The rest of society benefits anyway in the long run if the person succeeds and gets a good enough job.

If it was up to me high school would be more focused on finding an eventual career or area of interest for their students, who would then get aid if they went to a college that specialized (or at least has a very good program) in that field. I think the problem a lot of students have is that they don't really have any clue what they want to do when they get to school, so a semester or even a year is wasted trying to figure it out.

There are a lot of other problems I have with many colleges/institutions, but overall I still say it is a better experience than not going since expanding your mind can only be a good thing.

Though things are a little different in this country, I can make some general comments.

In the old days University and College was reserved either for the very wealthy or for certain professions such medicine, law and engineering. Over time that has changed so that college has become the primary way of determining job selection and applicability. In many ways it’s become a second high school which weeds people out for employers.
In that capacity it’s become an unfortunate necessity that most professions require some sort of college or other further training, even if those degrees don’t really provide much assistance in the actual job.

I think that college is not so much about education anymore as it is about witling down the field of contenders for employment opportunities. Naturally with demand comes supply at higher process. Though fortunately over here the costs are not as absurdly high in the USA.

Jora Vao

J
It's necessary and for the betterment of society for the purpose of expanding technologies and understanding of other fields of research. Along with training people into specific job roles that are needed. Those who go for other reasons should just be ignored.

I went, but needed work so I have since left. I plan to go back and continue in either Business or Secondary Teaching.

Interesting responses all. The United States, just like in seemingly everything has no support for it's people when it comes to getting an education. (Healthcare for example, I don't even understand the idea that people don't deserve medical treatment) I doubt I'll die with my debt paid off, and that's fine, I don't think it reflects on me that my society punishes it's people for trying to become educated. Professors go into even more debt to get their higher degrees...supposedly with the prestige that comes along with it. I hope so!

In addition to the issues with college one is 'damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Hilariously in the US for almost all bottom barrel jobs, you need to have "two to three years experience..."...at that job.Even working at a McDonalds. Which means even when you do get a degree you're expected to work for free as an intern, with no protections what so ever! I'm glad I went into academia, where this doesn't happen so much...though if you're non-tenure be prepared to have no rights what so ever. You don't even get health insurance. I almost think it would be better for me to move to the UK or Europe and teach. At least I'd get healthcare.

College would be nice if it weren't for the bankers. I'm only 15, but with student loans in my future my Mom is saying scholarship or die. You need to extract yourself from all individuality, so you can use your grades to fortify merit money. Maybe it's the loud I'm on... but I'm pumped to go study political science, yet sick of the politics in school.

They adjust our loans for inflation, but never adjust our salaries. Hell, they could eliminate such critical inflation by ending the federal reserve. I love education, but this poodoo is putting me on edge.

If I said something incorrect, it probably is. What do Ik?

Well I went, did everything and dried up my grandmothers bank account. Was it worth it? Yeah I got to learn more and study a field I enjoy and wanted to pursue. Has it helped? No it didn't and I was lucky to get the job I have gotten now in a field so far from what I got a piece of paper saying I could do to pay my bills.

In Scotland if you're studying full time for your first degree the Government will pay your tuition fees for you.

#TeamYES #IronicUseOfHashtags

But on point no. I have not seriously pursued higher education beyond secondary school and I am content with the job I have and know that I can climb that career ladder if I want to.

There was a time when I would have agreed that colleges and universities had a positive effect on the advancement of learning and society as a whole. That time probably ended around the turn of the 20th Century.

Universities today are not really interested anymore in the discovery of truth, so much as they are breeding grounds for indoctrination of social and political far-left zeitgeist.

And the idea that everyone needs to go to college to be successful is insanity.

Based on my experience, you can usually tell who went to college and who didn't within a couple minutes. Even if the person still ultimately proves to be completely retarded, the undergrad will at least speak better, write better, and be generally more open to big ideas.

For this reason alone, I'd consider it necessary.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
From a US perspective...

College is a scam and an incubator for pretty much every wacky 'solution' to the 'problems' we have that never existed 20 years ago. I only attend college because even the local pizza delivery chain requires a degree these days.

People were driven by curiosity and creativity long before college was 'mandatory'. If you have the inspiration and a solid work ethic, you should be able to accomplish fantastic things sans 'higher education'. But now that everyone and their pet hamster has their sheet of paper, everyone has to serve their four years just to be considered relevant. Why do we have degrees in art? Does a diploma make you a more creative and influential painter?

It's a scam by the government. Especially since they control all student loans now. And book prices are through the roof, even though the 'Sixteenth Edition' of Philosophy According to Charlie Brown is no different than the Seventh Edition, except they've cycled through eight different covers already.

If a tech, business, or medical degree isn't your calling, go to trade school. If you can be something without even trade school, go for it.

Whatever you do, don't go to college for the 'experience'. You can have loads of fun without throwing your money to the wind on tuition and fraternity/sorority junk. I know too many people who somehow came out of college with a degree but couldn't tell you how many meters in a kilometer.

In Estonia, many jobs require you to have a degree on the field. Like, really. You could technically get a practical job without going to the college or university, but the ones who have a degree are always favoured. All academic fields need you to finish college/university if I remember correctly, so...

But yeah, if you go to university or college in Estonia and study full-time, the school is free. You only have to worry about additional expenses like... food and housing and everything. Oh, and dormitories are really cheap, too (again, if I remember correctly). So yeah, it's not that bad in Estonia. :p

Don't waste your money on women study, gender studies, homosexual studies or anything as irrelevant or stupid. Check the job market, learn to see what is going in demand in the next 5 years and what is going out of demand and you can make bank with almost anything if you don't waste your university years drinking yourself to death.

sabrina

erm as gas engineer, trust me proper plumbers are in college all the time. I am currently in college again even though I am fully trained and qualified gas engineer. We have to actually be able to do more than you think, while writing is not high up their. Trust me every new boiler their is a course on, every meter and cooker if you get into that side things. Every five years I have to resit all my qualification again.

[member="Alice Red"] I was gonna say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Girl goes to college, gets brainwashed by Marxist professors into believing women are systematically held back by "The Patriarchy!".

Girl graduates from college, realizes there is nothing she can do with her useless gender studies degree, goes on to work part-time at a convenience store and continues to blame "The Patriarchy!" for why women aren't in leadership positions.

[member="Hal Terrano"]
You’re holding me back, you Scotch Imperialist Patriarch! :p

But seriously, College in the USA has gone in a rather weird and disturbing direction compared to other Western Countries. In Australia, the reason the costs are moderate is due to Government interest free loans and keeping down of prices to artificially lower levels, rather than letting the market decide.

The thing about education is that there’s been a creep in what people need to get jobs. First it was secondary school, now it’s college degrees. I can foresee a time when the next stage will be Masters and beyond for jobs, if only to weed out potentials, especially in high unemployment conditions.
And in the end, it doesn’t really educate people like real job experience does, but it’s required to get the job experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom