Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Rules Update

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Greed's Prodigy"]

giphy.gif

Simple way to avoid stampeding is to post an introduction with your FA or a couple of members. Then wait. Let both leaderships do that if you are in doubt.

When the posts start flying it becomes mute, as you are writing with someone, you'll have a natural back and forth. If they don't start flying or you don't get responses, then space yours out with a day or so in between.

I know invasions can get the blood pumping for certain muses. Some of mine included. But its not hard to say to yourself, wait a day or two between posts even with no responses.

Valiens Nantaris said:
it felt at times like debating the arcane difference between monophysitism and dyophysitism.
Really?
Next time just say coke or pepsi. Like F'real.

By the way whats up Destiny 2 and them reskinning old weapons from Destiny?

I'm not entirely sure how taking the first page over with one post per writer from a faction is stampeding - the first page is 99.9999% of the time just showing intro'ing. Few if any use it for more than just setting things up for future posts. Day one is also the high squeee day where everyone is excited and bouncy about joining in.

On other pages, I very much understand the point.

Also, I'd like to add something.

Communication lines should be open. Always.

I've only been in one invasion, so this comment is directly related to what happened there. One side complained to the staff early on about the other side about something the other side did. Neither the complaining side nor the staff informed the other side about it, and the other side had no clue this was the case, and as such, had no opportunity to adjust their behavior. That ultimately led to being the main reason for them losing.

If a side is complained about, they should know about it so that they can make adjustments. Staff can be used as middle men to keep things cool. Keeping this information (whether on purpose or not) means you're manipulating OOC advantages to get what you want IC.

So please, in future invasions (and in general), can we please keep communication lines open? Especially when it comes to complaints?

[member="Scherezade deWinter"]

I totally get your reservations in regards to stampeding. But as someone whose seen their fair share of invasions, which operate on American time mind you, it’s often daunting to wake up, and find that your opposition has posted twenty odd time. It means i have to spend about an hour or so sifting through posts based on their relevance to me, and how to react.

But besides from that, most stampedes I’ve seen in invasions work to affirm the actions of their faction. For example. Poster one writes their fleet deploying in orbit. Poster two then commences landing troops, and poster three then deploys troops. All without the defender, in this example being able to appropriately counter.

It’s just an etiquette thing.

[member="Robogeber"]

How would you consider that different from seeing 20 posts from your own faction that you still need to sift through to understand their relevance to you and how to react? I completely agree with it when it's not the first page; just not at the intro stage.

I'm in GMT+3, most of the posts done in these big threads happen while I'm asleep too, so I get where you're coming from :)

Stampeding. I've seen this come up and I just felt it'd be worth getting some clarification on something.

Faction A has 60 members all active and ready to invade and tell a beautiful story.
Faction B has 8 members and is just about scraping by as a major faction.

Are we saying that Faction A's faction admins have to tell a lot of their folks not to post for fears of "stampeding"? Surely that's not the fault of Faction A who has writers dedicated to good story telling. Why should members of Faction A be told to sit out just because Faction B has less members?

Kei Raxis said:
Stampeding. I've seen this come up and I just felt it'd be worth getting some clarification on something.

Faction A has 60 members all active and ready to invade and tell a beautiful story.
Faction B has 8 members and is just about scraping by as a major faction.

Are we saying that Faction A's faction admins have to tell a lot of their folks not to post for fears of "stampeding"? Surely that's not the fault of Faction A who has writers dedicated to good story telling. Why should members of Faction A be told to sit out just because Faction B has less members?
23v7zx.jpg

Also what do you do when one side just decides "Eh screw it, we aren't/ are hardly going to post anymore?" Does the thread just end there, mid-scene or as would make sense, does the remaining faction have a chance to finish their story?

[member="Kurayami Bloodborn"]

If ten people posts, then another ten posts, then another ten, and they are all from one faction, it's stampeding.

If ten posts, wait two days, then ten posts, wait three days, then post, thats continuing the invasion. The other side has had ample time to respond.

Stampeding really isn't as hard to understand as you're all making it out to be, and its really easy to manage.

First of all, maintain open communication. the best invasions/skirmishes I have been involved in have had open communication between both Faction Admin teams. I know its not a Rule to discuss the invasion with the defending faction prior to announcing it on the board but it makes a hell of a difference, you can also get a better gauge for posting speeds etc when you do this. Also means the defending faction can wave at the invading faction and ask for the admins to request a pause for their members to catch up.

Second of all, if Faction A has 60 highly active members and are invading Faction B with only 8 members that are barely holding on to their major status...well...lets be sensible here guys, you want to write a beautiful story with all 60 of those members? Then you're invading the wrong faction. Even if all 8 of Faction B's members were active and took on 3 people you'd still have some shmucks standing around twiddling their thumbs from Faction A.

Basically, stampeding is about attitude and generally happens when the invading faction legit doesn't give a damn about the defending faction. They're just looking at it going 'lol lets roflstomp'. People who actually wanna write rather than troll all over another faction are 99% less likely to be accused of stampeding.

Wheatons Law people. Its not hard to remember.

I like the rule changes and i'm interested to see them in action.

[member="Greed's Prodigy"]

I wasn't necessarily addressing stampeding, as I noticed many others have already done so. I was more asking what happens if one side stops or severely cuts back on their responses. From what I recall the courtesy for invasions is a 24 hour window (48 if you are feeling overly kind), and outside of 48 you are free to move on and continue your story. If you are consistently waiting 2 days between posts and the other side makes no attempt to contact you, then why should the remaining writers not be able to tie up their stories?

[member="Kurayami Bloodborn"]

As long as you are waiting, that sounds fine. I also think it's a good idea to ask the opposing faction, "are you expecting more posts?" Keep communication alive and maintain an understanding. You don't have to, but it helps if you have a history of trying to communicate.

Let's play devil advocate:

Faction A has 60 members. Their target (Faction B)has 6 and they essentially insult its status by calling it a faction that is barely scraping by with its member base. This of course could be very well true.

Why doesn't Faction A maybe attack enemy Faction C with 60 members to their count as well? Is that not more sporting?

Maybe if the point of invasions is to tell a fun story maybe all factions should taper their expectations and bring the appropriate response or assign the appropriate number of people to an operation. Unless of course factions don't want to tell stories and cooperate with their fellow writers in a hobby; in that case they are looking to win. They are looking to win on a text based RP site that doesn't allow characters to be killed unless the writer choses to let them be killed.

I find this to be an interesting duality of purpose. Since there are plenty of concrete, rule based games that don't rely on made up numbers, ships, skills, etc etc etc.

And say we agree that all invasions are about winning, then the intentions of their mechanics on this site is to encourage the best, most consistent writing by a group. Afraid that 20,000 km of ships won't compensate for a lack of creativity.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Call me crazy, but this stampeding thing looks like something that might deserve a discussion thread all on its own.

That said, maybe it's time to reconsider what qualifies as a major faction. Obviously, sheer numbers don't matter as much when considering the quality of the story being told, but quantity has a quality all on its own. If you took the six best writers on the site and put them up against a faction with ten times that number of active writers, it might just be possible for them to eke out a win, but they're iceskating uphill at that point. They're going to come out the other side exhausted and stretched thinner than gold leaf, and their chances of surviving the next invasion go down dramatically.

And, if we're honest, by the time a major faction gets down to having so few active writers that they're in danger of recall, they can hardly be considered a competitive force anyway. Stubbornness and pride will prevent most from throwing in the towel, but it's not fair for a faction that has a large active writer base to throttle their activity to accommodate a faction with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom