Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Rules Update

A big thank you to [member="Nadja Keto"] along with the rest of the staff team for their work on this.

Whilst to some it may have seemed like nothing was happening. In fact we have spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect formulation going.
Indeed, it felt at times like debating the arcane difference between monophysitism and dyophysitism.

Regardless, we have now new criteria which will be used to judge all future invasions (not current or declared ones).

You may notice there are four criteria rather than an odd number. The intention is that 'Drama' should always be a tie since most factions are wise enough not to cause trouble against other groups. Thus, it will usually come down to judging of three new combined criteria.

These will be on a trial basis, with tweaks and changes made as needed.

The following will be considered when judging an Invasion:
  • Participation. An invasion is a story of conflict between two factions, and the participation of both factions will contribute to their chances for victory. This is does not include the total contribution of posts from one faction as compared to another, nor the total amount of individual writers from one faction as compared to another. This does include, but is not limited to, the level of consistent activity of both factions throughout the course of the thread, the interaction between members of both factions with the opposition from the start of the invasion to the end, the steady responses between writing partners made in a reasonable frame of time, and the amount of cooperation and teamwork between members of each faction to achieve their goals.
  • Tension. Throughout invasions there will always be a conflicts, large or small. This can be something as small as a Padawan and an Acolyte dueling and how their conflict plays out, or as large as the interaction of two massive fleets in orbit. These moments, as well as how members of both parties respond to and shape them, can contribute to a faction's chances for victory. This is not determined by the literal outcome of these moments. They will be decided by how unique these moments are, how fair and appropriate the moments that lead up to these interactions are, as well as how each individual and group handles these moments and either recovers or takes advantage of them in a fair and appropriate manner.
  • Story. At the heart of an invasion lies the stories woven by writers from the first post until its last, whether it is through a violent conflict, a peaceful diplomatic resolution, or anything that lies between. Actions made by individuals, groups, and the factions as a whole make up the fabric of this story and will contribute to each faction's chances for victory. This will not be determined by a summation of duels, objective wins, and general tallying of scores. This will be determined by subjects such as, but is not limited to, whether the actions of individuals and groups make sense in their given context, the expansion of a given location's lore and history, the general flow of the overarching story as it unfolds and is influenced by the actions of each faction, how engaging each individual and group's storyline is, and the impact felt by the gains and the losses of both factions - as well as the fair and balanced actions made by individuals of each faction.
  • Drama. While the focus of an invasion will always be the actions of each character and faction in-character, the interaction and the general behavior of writers of each faction out-of-character also create an impact on the flow of an invasion. The goal for every invasion is for members of both parties to have fun and enjoy their experience, and to create a fun and interesting story comprised of the actions of each character as individuals and participating factions as a whole; however, this can be derailed by behavior that is not conducive for such an ideal environment. It is our goal for this to always end as a tie, with both parties never showing examples of inappropriate and negative behavior, but any negative behavior instigated by either side, visibly, can negatively impact that faction's chances for victory in an invasion.

skin, bone, and arrogance
To what extent will multiple invasions factor into the "participation" category? In other words, will a faction who participates substantially less in one invasion because there are one or more additional simultaneous invasions continue to be graded "on a curve"?

Additionally, will the actions of allies accepted by a faction factor into the faction's "drama" scoring? If not, what remedy is there for abusive or other dramatic behavior from allies?

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

[member="Natasi Fortan"]
Multiple invasions will be taken into account somewhat. It does not excuse minimal effort, but it may explain why your full contingent is not there as actively.

Allies do factor into your drama score, yes. You do choose your allies, so good choice there is vital, though if one of your allies is out of control, best advise a staff member of this so it can be taken into account.

skin, bone, and arrogance
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]: Thanks for the prompt response! :)

I have a concern that the first faction to announce an invasion might be penalized by a thumb on the "participation" scale for the opposing faction if one or more other factions decides to capitalize on the situation by invading simultaneously. I hope there is a healthy balance of interests in that analysis.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] - Since Allies are relevant to the current discussion, what's your stance on people joining a faction - either the invader or the invaded - as the announcement thread's been posted to circumvent taking up an Ally slot? I only ask, as one of your former staff members said that this was kosher, and kinda defeats the entire point of bringing in Allies.

Leading from one query to another, what's the stance on faction's using the Defensive Stronghold mandate, and approving allies after the actual Invasion thread's been posted (Or mid-invasion for that matter)?

[member="Arcanus Sunstrider"]
The first is not something I'm going to comment on because it's impractical to judge and because we have a free faction system here it's not something we can easily enforce.

No definitive ruling has been made on the second. We may make alterations to that mandate in the future.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] - Perfectly understandable, and thank you for the response!

One more thing before I stop tagging you with all of my questions. :p

While we do have a free faction system, do you think it'd be viable to place a little caveat regarding allies saying; "they'd have to be apart of the faction before the Invasion announcement thread goes up, or they'd have to take an ally slot to participate," just so it wouldn't seem like a loophole's being exploited?

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
cjkDLga.png

Major Faction

Joy

OOC Writer Account
Invasions should be less about the OOC, and more about what is being roleplayed IC. The only update that I like about invasions is the Story criteria, which is critically important to good, meaningful roleplay. But the other three criteria are OOC, and quite frankly, shouldn't have any bearing on what is roleplayed IC.

Each faction has their own little dweeb that can't keep his or hers mouth shut. I should know because I've been that dweeb in multiple factions across this board, so I am speaking from experience. It will be difficult for RPJs (or if necessary an Administrator) to come in and make a decision about Drama because as we have seen in the past, we have very intelligent, manipulative people in this community who are good at spinning an argument should there ever be Drama that could affect an invasion. I foresee this rule being abused in the future and will lead to the collapse of factions in the future.

People also have lives, and with the way invasions are set up on this board, any faction at any given moment can launch one upon another. That is how it should be and this should be encouraged. Less planned roleplay and more spontaneous roleplay should be the way. But what if a faction launches an invasion during a period where the others are inactive? Can leaders of both factions reach a compromise? What if this puts unnecessary pressure on people?

This will also encouraged spam. If Participation is a requirement for victory, leaders will enforce their members to participate. There will be some people who don't necessarily want to participate in invasion neither. For example, IC it might not make sense for their character to be there, and yet, if the faction that they are a member of loses, they will be blamed by other members and leaders of their respective faction for not being there simply because of the OOC. That is lame.

Then there is the Tension requirement. You mean to tell me that if there is a good enough story between two roleplayers, and one stands out- regardless of their character loses said fight- this will contribute to the victory of said faction? I'm struggling to understand this point, surely it just a sub for the Story requirement? I need further clarification.

What Social Justice Warrior wrote these rules? They're pretty horrible.

Darth Kentarch said:
Well from my understanding, if you just not post you can draw a stampeding win so... yeah. Roger Goodell is my hero.
Posting with a large bloc of writers within 3-5 hours without giving opposition a reasonable time to respond will always net you a stampeding mark.

Seguidor Oculto de la Verdad
[member="Nadja Keto"] So you two are saying that a faction has a maximum of 20 posts in within 24-48 period or its considered stampeding. Does the rule set currently in place (or in the past) define these constrains clearly and to these exact specification?

[member="Darth Kentarch"] - Your first mistake is taking my words as gospel, friend. I pulled those numbers out of a hat to make an example. If a faction posts consistently without giving the defenders time to reply, let alone react to X amount of posts that may alter their surroundings - then you be stampeding. Simple as that.

[member="Darth Kentarch"]

I had this discussion earlier. Say one faction has 20 members eager to post and write for the invasion. That is cool and all, but say the other team has 7. Well, let's just let ALL 20 of those people post before the 7, it's stampeding. To me stampeding is also not based on the number of the faction or team being stampeding against. Pace your invasions and guage a good flow of posts, don't just let your members all post at once because it LOOKS like stampeding. Perception is reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom