Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Grid Movement Rule Change

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I love it. Suddenly invasions are so much more important. Defeat not only means losing something likely more important, but everything in between, including hedging the clouds of completely unrelated factions. Now everything can screw everyone else over, so I foresee war will be much less casual than every before, like it should be.

Normally I'd mention how the smaller factions map-wise, like Moross, the Dominion, et'c could essentially be capital stricken and torn apart rather easily, but that's just a matter of OOC camaraderie as I doubt anyone would do it to be a stiff. :)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
@[member="Tegaea Alcori"] Completely legit. War actually has stakes now. It's more interesting and tactical, decisions hold more weight.

I have a question. If an important economic, cultural, or industrial planet under faction control is damaged or rendered crippled for whatever reason IC'ly before any invasions or during a war, how does that play out IC'ly for any subsequent invasions? Do the planet owners suffer a handicap or is it all just fluff, so to speak?

Arrbi Betna said:
I have a question. If an important economic, cultural, or industrial planet under faction control is damaged or rendered crippled for whatever reason IC'ly before any invasions or during a war, how does that play out IC'ly for any subsequent invasions? Do the planet owners suffer a handicap or is it all just fluff, so to speak?
Your Mileage May Vary. It's really up to the Faction Leader and their cohorts how it gets spun. Some might spin such damages into a story, but a lot I think just kind of hand wave it and move on.

OKay, though I do have a concern about that. For example, if a garrison world is damaged, blockaded, or crippled in one way or another, one could argue that the faction couldn't pull reinforcements from that planet or if an industry world or fortress world suffered a similar fate, planets in the sector would hurt for supplies. Either way, that could affect invasions on both sides.

What I'm getting at is that there are more than just invasions to influence faction borders, relations, and invasion outcomes. I understand that you guys can't come up with rules for any and every circumstance, but indirect attacks, feints, and even mundane things like sabotage can alter the outcomes of entire battles and even wars.

In real life, yes, but ultimately what you're talking about is putting major emphasis on the NPCs. I agree, it should have an impact, but then you get into the arguement of 'How would this affect our NPCs' and then you've two sides arguing over what is and isn't an appropriate level of damage/NPCs/etc.

And invasions aren't about NPCs.

They're about PC's and story.

Roleplay out the effects of sabotage as you will, but if your concern is 'how many NPCs can I throw at my opponent to make them lose' then you're going about this the wrong way.

I'm not actually talking about NPCs, actually. The reinforcement thing was an example. What I'm getting at is resources, whether NPCs, ammunition, replacement parts, etc., etc. Story is important, I wholeheartedly agree there. It really is on any RP board. What I'm pointing out is that even PCs have finite resources. If I'm caught defending against the Empire as a Mandalorian and they're using tanks and ships, then I'll need AT and AA weapons. If the supply line was cut in a finished thread last week to that planet or sector, then I'll either A) have to make every shot count or B ) make do without and hope I don't get reamed too badly. Same goes for NPC troops viewed as a resource or fleets or food or anything an army or military force requires in the field.

Ashin Varanin said:
How many NPCs must one throw at Sarge to make him lose?

All of them.
I think finding out why kids love cinnamon toast crunch or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop would be easier. This is after all the Sarge of sarges who faced down the million nay billion man zombie horde alone with only his beard as a weapon.

After observing what has been going on with the Invasion of Ossus and now the invasion by the Mandalorians on the Sith Empire's Capital, I'm not so sure now that the rule change was a good idea. I like the idea of more importance to invasions, but going straight for the enemy's capital seems like it's just taking advantage of the rule change. This is just my opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom