Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion Grid Movement Rule Change

Under Warring Factions:

MAJOR FACTION INFLUENCE CLOUDS

1. Major Factions now have "Influence Clouds" displayed on the Galaxy Map.

2. A Major Faction spreads it's Influence Cloud by invading (Invasion) or dominating (Dominion) a planet near it's borders.

3. Planets invaded further than one grid away from a Major Faction's borders will not increase a Major Faction's Influence Cloud. Planets gained this way should be written as increasingly difficult to defend.

4. Planets dominated further than one grid away will raise the Dominion's minimum post count by +50 posts per grid from the nearest point in your Major Faction's Influence Cloud. Planets gained this way will increase a Major Faction's Influence Cloud.

Has been changed to:

MAJOR FACTION INFLUENCE CLOUDS

1. Major Factions now have "Influence Clouds" displayed on the Galaxy Map.

2. A Major Faction spreads it's Influence Cloud by invading (Invasion) or dominating (Dominion) a planet near it's borders.

3. Planets invaded further than two grids away from a Major Faction's borders will not increase a Major Faction's Influence Cloud. Planets gained this way should be written as increasingly difficult to defend.

4. Planets dominated further than one grid away will raise the Dominion's minimum post count by +50 posts per grid from the nearest point in your Major Faction's Influence Cloud. Planets gained this way will increase a Major Faction's Influence Cloud.

This is to increase the effectiveness and essentially speed up and empower Invasions.

Example 1
hztp.gif

Example 2
qd3a.gif

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
*offers Akio the cake of peace*

Consume this cake with me until it is all gone. Or until you decide to share some with the Republic. I hear they like demolishing peace cakes.

*huddles behind his non-aggression pacts*

I can't help but feel that there is an attempt to promote conflict between the Mandalorians and the Republic with these gifs.

lol

Actually, all joking aside, this does raise a lot of questions...

1) if the thread starts off by listing the staging planet and then the planet to be invaded, does that have any control over what planets get wiped out/covered by influence clouds?

2) What happens if an invasion from Faction 1, against Faction 2, involves traveling through Faction 3's space?

3) Are there any rules regarding 'isolated' pockets of influence?

Lets say the Mandalorians were to stage at Azure and launch an invasion of the Republic planet of Tholarin? The Roche Asteroids and Kashyyyk are not 'directly' between the two planets, but would be cut off from the Republic. Would Mandalorians gain them as well?

How does this effect Dominion threads? What if the Mandalorians launch from Azure and and target the Neutral planet of Sneeve? Do we plow through the Sith controlled space and cut off Togoria through invading a neutral planet?

Speaking of cutting off planets... what happens if Mandalorians launch an invasion from Mygeeto or Morishim against the Sith planet of Shusugaunt or Dantooine? If the Mandalorians are successful, do they cut off Sith control of Muunilist, Kalee, Vale VII, and Yaga Minor? Are are those planets simply 'cut off'? And if so, are they easier to invade later? Do the Sith have a certain amount of time to do a dominion thread to reconnect with their separated planets? How does this work?

Similarly, what happens to the map if the Confederates launch a successful invasion of the Black Suns planet of Toydaria from Chroma Zed? Do they cut off Republic influence? The two planets are close enough to launch an invasion, but are separated by Republic space. With current rules, how would that be reflected on the map? The invasion could 'divert' around Republic space, but at that point the invasion of a 'side planet' would involve Confederate influence cloud cutting directly over the capital planet of the Black Suns.

Finally though, lets look at one of the simpler examples/questions. The Galactic Empire, staging from Donadus and attacking the Lords of the Fringe's world of Taloraan and/or Kayri. There are 5 neutral planets in a line between the staging planet and the invaded planet. Walalla, Tasariq, Jandur, Shasfath, and (maybe) Korbin. But there is also the issue of Phu (which is waaaay off to the east, very close to TGE space). Does that planet get cut off? What happens to Phu? Does it go to TGE, remain part of LoF, or become neutral?

Captain Larraq said:
1) if the thread starts off by listing the staging planet and then the planet to be invaded, does that have any control over what planets get wiped out/covered by influence clouds?
A: No, though as the primary editor of the map, I do try to lessen the impact, but I do not inform the Major Faction which planets will be affected. I try to make the flow of the influence cloud look normal. Most of the time. /glares at OP

2) What happens if an invasion from Faction 1, against Faction 2, involves traveling through Faction 3's space?
A: Faction 3's space will not be touched nor manipulated in any way shape or form if this happens. I'll confirm that, but I'm aware such a situation might occur.

3) Are there any rules regarding 'isolated' pockets of influence?
A: No, but I can confirm that we've been avoiding it. I'm aware that we may be forced to create pockets of influence, and I'm flexible and open-minded, so I'm not against doing it. If forced, it will happen. If it can be avoided, though, it will be avoided. I don't see us facing this situation often, but like #1, I'm aware it may happen.

4) How does this effect Dominion threads?
A: It doesn't. The rules clearly stipulate only Invasions are affected.

5) Every other situation you raised:
A: Obviously, we will handle complicated situations on a case by case basis. If new rules are needed, Staff will discuss them then, and pass them by a vote as these were passed. I'd love to give an answer for every single situation that could possibly arise, but honestly, we won't know what will happen until it happens. I only ask for the community's patience as Staff deals with these situations as they arise, if they arise.

For Faction Admins planning invasions - if you are curious about how a situation would play out, I'd suggest you contact an Admin and ask. Only we are in charge of the map, not the RPJ's. Most map questions will run up the chain to me or Soliael, so please be patient while the Admins discuss these situations.

Thanks for clearing up those answers. Though, to be honest, I'm really curious about that last scenario I proposed.
*stares at @[member="Akio Kahoshi"]*

Tefka said:
As I'm a softie for Mandalorians, yeah. I'd love to see the Mandos get off their butts and do something. ;)
I'll keep that in mind. I'm a little tied up in building and expanding a company at the moment, and our glorious leader decided to negotiate a peace treaty without discussing it with anyone, but we'll see what we can do to get the Mandalorians up and shooting at stuff again.

Why haven't Nirauan or Adumar been added to the Republic's cloud in the second one like intervening planets were for the mandos? I understand that it's closer but intervening planets were added to Republic influence from their recent invasion because of today's changes so I'm trying to nail down some solid rules for this so I know what's going on. Was quite a surprise when all we thought we were loosing was our capital and then new rules made it 3 additional planets.

All depends on what the person does who's editing the map for the change, @[member="Domino"]. Like I said before an invasion is, 9 times out of 10, edited by myself and I try to lessen the impact on all planets save for the one affected. Sometimes, it can't be helped.

Such as the planets affected when the Republic took Nar Shaddaa, though there were no new rules that caused that to happen, that's how invasions have always been decided.

Weird, in the ooc chat about this only Nar Shaddaa was mentioned, anyways, thanks for clearing it up. I'll come to you when planning stuff like this in the future then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom