Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Denied IL-XV9 'Predator' Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
bksiduxxw5jz.png

Weapon Mounted Predator Sensor

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • | Intent | To create an advanced sensor suite that assists Imperial Legionnaires better combat enemy forces in low visibility/close-quarter environments.
  • | Image Source | Source
  • | Canon Link | N/A
  • | Permissions | N/A
  • | Primary Source | N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Heartbeat Sensor
  • Thermal Vision

Strengths |
  • [ Urban Wall Hacks ] - The Predator Sensor excels in urban combat, providing critical information of potential hostile contacts hidden behind doors and corners.
  • [ Nowhere to Hide ] - Cloaked enemies are unable to escape the Predator's sight, as it will highlight heartbeats and reveal them once they come into range. The frequency of pings on the scanner correlates to the frequency of heartbeats from targets. Higher heart rates result in more frequent and accurate positions while lower heart rates result in less frequent pings and less accurate positions.
Weaknesses |
  • [ Jungle Environments ] - While built and designed to help in virtually all environments, the Predator Sensor's ability to identify organisms in environments such as rain forests and jungles is greatly hindered as local wildlife can wreak havoc on ones ability to discern an enemy from an animal.
  • [ Short Range ] - The Predator's advantage of being able to spot potential hostiles in close quarters is outweighed by the fact that it is a short range sensor that has an effective range of 10 meters.
  • [ Stay Frosty ] - Since the Predator relies on high heart rates to provide accurate data, an individual who is capable of lowering their heart rate and keeping it low while on the move will make it difficult to keep track of them.

DESCRIPTION

The IL-XV9 'Predator' Sensor is a line of military sensors to be used by infantry in The Sith Empire's Legion. It is compatible with all systems and weapons used by the Imperial Legion in several forms. A weapon mount version can be attached to the side of a weapon that can provide information while a weapon is raised. A wrist-mounted variant allows the same information to be displayed while still being able to hold up smaller weapons/sidearms. The final variant is installed into advanced helmet systems and displays information in an internal HUD sensor and will highlight hearbeats and lifeforms through terrain and obstructions as they come into range.
The Predator was designed to excel in close quarter, urban environments where line of sight is typically obstructed especially behind doors and around corners. The ability to detect is outweighed by its short range, but makes up for it with its portability and ease of use. The data is provided based on a system similar to sonar. Higher heart rates will ping the location of the individual more frequently and provide an accurate position.
| Changes |
[1/20/2020]
  • Fixed Formatting
  • Changed Manufacturer

Last edited:
Kor Vexen said:
[ Nowhere to Hide ] - Cloaked enemies are unable to escape the Predator's sight, as it will highlight heartbeats and reveal them.
There's nothing wrong with making a lifeform scanner, but the phrasing here suggests that is automatically and always finds enemies that are hiding.

I would recommend making the language a bit more open-ended, so that it doesn't come across as infallible.

[member="Gir Quee"]

It is basically a short range lifeform scanner, but as the link you provided shows, even then it is designed to bypass any attempts to hide an individual making it extremely difficult without very specialized and niche equipment. Unless you're encased in carbonite, able to stop your heart rate entirely or phase out of existence, you can't really hide or fool a lifeform scanner and by extension a heartbeat sensor. I've specified that it is short range and added another caveat to make it so that it doesn't basically wave a red flag while blowing a rape whistle unless they're panicking or not properly trained to control heart rates to further balance it out.

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.
Darth Bellum Darth Bellum

• [ Nowhere to Hide ] - Cloaked enemies are unable to escape the Predator's sight, as it will highlight heartbeats and reveal them once they come into range. The frequency of pings on the scanner correlates to the frequency of heartbeats from targets. Higher heart rates result in more frequent and accurate positions while lower heart rates result in less frequent pings and less accurate positions.
Good submission, but the above is unfortunately the above passage is tripping it up. As per the quoted below, any anti-stealth technology (which this pushes into) requires a semi-unique production rating. Please can you amend accordingly.
Particularly rare or powerful special features may necessitate using a lower level of production (cloaking technology, personal cloaking devices, gemcutters, crystal grav traps, moon dust, equivalent stealth or anti stealth technologies), or rare canon technologies (Hyperwave Inertial Momentum Sustainers, etc) and their equivalents will only be permitted at Semi-Unique production.

Runi Verin Runi Verin

This was a point made by the previous Factory Admin and my justification was the sensor is basically a lifeform scanner. Unless standard lifeform scanners as depicted in here, which state they are able to detect beings hidden by stealth/cloaking fields, are also only meant to be of semi-unique then I can't really see the issue with something like a hearbeat sensor being limited to that low of a production. I am fine with lowering production down to Minor or at most Limited and add an additional weakness in the form of it being able to be jammed by jammers, but again it's more or less a heartbeat sensor; can't really fool it unless you don't have a heart. Please let me know how you'd like to have it handled after this point has been made.

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.
Darth Bellum Darth Bellum

Putting aside that we don’t judge based on precedent, and that includes any precedent set in the same submission currently being re-reviewed, the approval of the sub (and that decision) was made prior to a rule amendment back in August. The same rule is still in effect under the current 5.1 Factory Guidelines and does, in fact, affect life-form scanners if they are listed to have any anti-stealth functionality.

That leaves us with three options; remove the part about detecting cloaked enemies, reduce the production to Semi-Unique or we can archive/deny this submission.

I'd rather we elect one the first two personally, but the decision is ultimately yours here.

Runi Verin Runi Verin

All lifeform scanners are inherently anti-stealth based off of canon source material and were widely available for use across the Galaxy. I could just use canon lifeform scanners in favor over the submission, but the submission I've put forth I believe is fair with the weaknesses as well as the suggested jamming weakness to total four weaknesses that undermine the submission's ability to function at full capacity. I choose this because at least there can be some leeway in avoiding detection under certain conditions as opposed to 'Oh this generic lifeform scanner I have can see an entire squad of hostiles hiding in that house'.
Would it impact roleplay unfairly for me to simply declare I know the location of everyone at any given moment? Yes, but there can't be anything done about it since I would be using canon tech as opposed to submissions with adequate workarounds/weaknesses. There's a reason why in CW they had to be encased in carbonite in order to bypass such scanners since they couldn't be jammed otherwise they would have, there was no other way around it short of a process that would completely conceal a biosignature.
I would like to be able to come to a compromise as you would, and I am happy to lower production down by one or two notches and add additional weaknesses as well as any other suggestions you might make apart from simply lowering production down to only a handful of people being able to use; but if even after all that has been taken into consideration and you still do not wish to budge from your position then I would simply just opt to use canon lifeform scanners with no workaround and this submission can be archived/denied at your own discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom