Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Hunting Hunters (Gwen)

A sigh left Vulpesen as he approached the edge of the Amaran forest. As usual, he couldn't shake the feeling that it'd been too long since he'd visited home. Then again, what was there to visit anymore? Zarro was gone. Even his company's ownership was generations down and thus removed from any degree of familiarity with Veradune's Valde. But such changes were in the realm of civilization. Such was one of the biggest comforts of the wilds. They were unchanging. But then again, so were their perils. Amar, the home of many beast traders was also plagued by poachers, men who would destroy the balance of nature.

"My first master used this for some of my more advanced tests. I'll keep an eye on you to make sure that you don't get in too much danger, but how you find the poachers and how you handle them is up to you,"
Vulpesen said, his golden eyes fixing on Gweneth Zarari Gweneth Zarari . "Rest assured, my intel is reliable so they are here to be found, but his is as much a test in your abilities to investigate as it is your abilities to use the force to aid in that investigation. Just remember, the wilds are always willing to speak to those willing to listen."

Untitled700_20230423181757.png
Objective: Find poachers
Tag: Vulpesen Vulpesen

Equipment: Gwen's attire, Echo stone, carved luck charm, wooden quarterstaff, slingshot

The journey to the forest had been quick, with both of us capable of independant flight I had insisted we took to the wing together, it was the most exhilarating experience and I could not miss an oppurtunity. But now we stood at the edge of the clearing and i squatted as he spoke to me, rubbing the dirt between my fingers and smelling it, trying to get a feel for the lands here to make sure i was prepared. Hunting poachers was something I had done before, and i felt capable of showing my master thos talent. "What creatures are being poached?" I asked. It would help me know which aspects of the wild to consult, the absence of a large land predator was typically more noticable to the local fauna than a few prey animals, but a bantha type creature left a mark on its surroundings too.

I touched the soil against my tongue before spitting it out. "This is virigin forest isn't it, its beautiful." I couldn't taste any of the telltale seasoning that came with sapient curating of the local ecosystem. I was enjoying my life as a wilder, being able to fully embrace my wild side was satisfying, and it made me curious how my moorchild ancestors would have perceived the environment too.

I smirked at my master, "How I handle them is up to me?" he might see the twinkle in my eye that questioned whether I had full discretion. I was not a violent person, but those that harmed the natural order held a special place in my view, and Vulpesen knew that of me. It would probably be better for them that they surrendered without a fight.

"Mostly some Arlusks and Elmuries," he responded to her first question, his golden yes narrowing as they gazed into the forest. "My old master was a fan of interacting as little as possible in the woods that he cared for. Some minor hunting when necessary, but otherwise, he enjoyed the wildness of nature." His tail flicked as he returned his attention to Gweneth. "Be careful. This forest isn't as untouched as it appears. It belongs to Verres Trading, the one company on this planet that's allowed to care for and breed Veran creatures." Veradune, where the wilders hailed form, was a planet where nature often worked in extremes, and thus poaching held the extra danger of the multitude of toxins that could be produced by the creatures.

"Do what you must, but remember that you are a member of the Vitae Sect. Defend yourself but avoid killing where possible."
It was a minor complication, but one that he would always be quick to reinforce. Even as a soldier for the Republic, he had removed more arms than heads. It was always more difficult to hold back when battle came, but it also held the benefit of teaching control.

Gweneth Zarari Gweneth Zarari

Equipment: Gwen's attire, Echo stone, carved luck charm, wooden quarterstaff, slingshot

Defend yourself but avoid killing where possible

"Of course" i
I replied with a smile. I was well versed in going out of my way to avoid killing people with my activism, it was what has kept me on the misdemeanor side of criminal charges on a couple of planets. "I wonder if the poachers are using the toxins at all, that could be trouble, I'll keep an eye out for that. I think I will start by the river, I have always found that an excellent place to both hunt and bathe, I suspect if the poachers have left any trace, it will be there.... keep up." I winked at my master and ran ahead, shifting into a shriek-hawk form as I ran and quickly taking to the air.

My my wide wings gave me speed and agility, and the rising heat from the forest lifted me above the canopy do a better view. A mile or so into the forest I could see a break in the treeline that ran in a coiling path from left to right. To me that looked like a river. <<I think I can see a river, I want to find a slower moving section where animals might stop to drink.>> I telepathically messaged to my master before banking left hard and chasing the path of the stream, it was a half dozen metres wide and had shallow banks from this vantage there was no obvious signs of sapient habitation, but I was hardly expecting to see someone with a sign saying "poachers here".

I flew for a few more minutes before landing on a branch over the water, I couldn't put my finger on it, but instinct told me that this was the right slot to look. There were several other animals about including a small muddy coloured bird that looked at me curiously as i shifted back to by Kiir form and sat squating on the branch. "What now?" I whispered to myself. I reached out and the bird sniffed at my fingers before going back to preening its feathers.

The Archon simply nodded to his apprentice's plan of action and let her set off. He was younger than she was when he had undertaken similar missions. Odd to think that was most of a century ago. "I'll be keeping track of you." As Gweneth shifted and took off, Vulpesen simply approached a nearby tree, closed his eyes, and laid his hand upon it. One lesson he had learned after leaving Amar; knowledge is an eternal quest. Gradually, he opened himself up to the force and channeled its power through his palm and into the wood. Vulpesen had years ago learned to open his eyes to the entire galaxy. Every time he did it, it burned a little less. But for what he was doing, it was like bringing a star destroyer against a starfighter. Overkill. Not, he needed something more local. He didn't need the galaxy. Just the local wilds.

When he opened his eyes, they blazed with a bright light and he felt a flood of images coursing through him. Predator and prey, all struggling to survive the circle of life. He focused on what existed outside that ring. The first presence he found, he was the most familiar with. Gweneth Zarari Gweneth Zarari , flying above the trees before perching on a branch. Ace. Keep an eye. In the back of his mind, he received confirmation from his constant companion before searching out for more. Continually reminded of where Gweneth was, and thus not in danger of losing her, it wasn't long before he was able track down the poachers as they stalked through the underbrush. Her instincts hadn't been wrong. While not quite at the river, the ner-do-wells were certainly headed towards it.

I sat quietly, listening to the forest and trying to feel any unwelcome presence. A person in tune enough to the forest would not poach. Unless of course these were not poachers, there had been occasion where indigenous peoples had been labelled as poachers by rich companies that had declared the land to belong to them. But Vulpesen Vulpesen would know that too and they wouldnt be hunting them down if that was the case. It should be considered though, and was the reason she must approach this with an option for forgivness if confronted.

A large tusked herbivore came out of the undergrowth and began digging in the wet mud for easily obtainable swamp roots. It looked out with its lazy eyes as it chewed gently on the tubors. "Hey, you" I said quietly, with a smile to the dopey creature. I could feel the presence of the creature, calm, in tune with its surroundings, not aware of the danger it may face. I felt the hairs on the back of my hair prickle as a new feeling came close, there was malice, an intent, this was a hostile actor. I felt a little guilt that the creature in front of me would inadvertently be playing the part of bait. I gestured with my hand and mentally encouraged the creature to walk a little way out into bushes as it ate, giving itself some more cover.

"Where are you?" I knew they were there but my senses were not attuned enough to pin them down precisely, my vantage in the trees gave me cover, but i shifted my skin to become more bark like, almost vanishing to the naked eye.

Crack

My head snapped around to a spot across the other side of the river, catching a glimpse of movement, then nothing. My gut told me that this was the interlopers i was hunting, but my guy had been wrong. I pulled a small stone from my pouch and slipped it in to my slingshot ready to act. The herbivore on the other side of the river continued backwards under my influence and disappeared into the woods, if those poachers wanted a shot, they would have to come closer and into my sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom