Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion How would you write a redemption arc?

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
it really depends on what sort of redemption is being looked for. If it is a Solomen kane style where redemption for the evils you did can be balanced out with good deeds or is it a sort of Ulic Qel-Droma where you have lost everything. The context and goal matters just as much as the arc and really in terms of chaos. There is a chance in a year the people who knew what you have done... won't be around and have moved on to new characters or different sites.

Karki Eusith - RIP

K
It's funny that you bring this up as I am starting one with this very character. I think that it depends on what you are willing to do with your character and how far you want to take it. For example, this guy was a Jedi Temple Guard and watched the Sith Eternal slaughter several young Jedi in front of him during the last invasion (something bigger was supposed to happen, but that is irrelevant, I had to adapt). So right now, he considers himself a failure and unworthy of the mask and robes associated with the position. He won't even wield the lightsaber given to the guard, he only carries it as a "Keep your eyes on the prize" centerpiece. The shield is a metaphor for what the Guard is supposed to represent. He won't wield the lightsaber again (at least he doesn't want to) until he has made up for his failures.

Be careful what you wish for.
1. Fake their own death, cut all ties, and start over.
2. Cryo sleep long enough no one cares what you did. Start over.
3. Die well.

Really? You just GOTTA make fun of me? :p

This guy had failure after failure, he literally lived long enough to see himself a villain, but stopped himself from "crossing the line" and went to the Jedi in search of help (not thinking they would take him in). He used that to try and help be a voice for the voiceless.

Then of course there was his promise to Ala Quin Ala Quin to protect her.(and not the most recent time lol)

No. Not reliving it. shakes head

if they're watching anyways
Always must engage with Nimdok's content. love ya Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

Quick disclaimer -- I got too interested in this and remembered a
great video (by a great YouTuber) about writing redemption arcs. The stuff I'm dropping is stealing a few points from that, plus a little bit from my own experience. Also, I'm pretty basic, so my two favorite redemption arcs are Zuko's, from Avatar The Last Airbender; and Scar, from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Redemption arcs are really just like any character arc, only (in my view) more intense/encompassing greater character change than normal. There's also the specific attitude required by the character of needing redemption. They don't need to be looking for redemption initially, but by the end of the arc they should have that realization that they have been redeemed (assuming they are successful in their redemption).

There's a kind of spectrum when it comes to the intensity of the redemption; from a character who is unaware of their evil/actions that are in need of redeeming for, to a character who is aware or even remorseful for their actions and is just struggling to change. On the one end there's Scrooge, who couldn't care less about other people; on the other there's Aang, who ran away, but doesn't know how to fix his mistake.

Like character arcs, a good redemption arc should have an appropriate amount of buildup and shouldn't come out of nowhere. I think the best redemption arcs are the ones that, well, actually happen. 'Heroic' 'redeeming' character deaths, or a single good act at the end of the story are my least favorite.

The change necessary needs to affect what is at stake for the character (goals, values, etc.), what their worldview is, and how they view themselves. These changes conflict with the character's old actions and push towards redemption. Active characters tend to be much more successful when it comes to this, because they're constantly making decisions that show their character, as well as show if they're leaning one way or the other.

The main ways to begin a redemption arc are by confronting the character with the effect of their actions, by changing their circumstances to force change, or finally by having a positive influence in their life (this one's kind of old, think 'redemptive love of a woman' deal). Zuko's redemption hits all of these at different points; whether it's him traveling through the Earth Kingdom and seeing the effect of the war on those people, his banishment and dishonor, or the variety of positive influences leading him to redeem himself and become better. (ATLA is literally the best.)

Xeykard was a character I built with a redemption arc very much in mind. I drew a lot of inspiration from Kylo Ren (the idea of a Sith struggling with the pull of the Light Side is just super compelling to me) and I knew that ultimately he'd abandon the Sith. But I don't want it to be hollow or instant like I felt Kylo's redemption was. Xeykard is a bad dude. The organization he's part of, the Empire he serves, the things he's done -- there's a lot of evil stuff there, and that won't be easy to shake. Though he has doubts about his faith (in private, of course) he's still actively doing things that he may feel remorse for later. He's solidly between Aang and Scrooge when it comes to the acknowledgement of his actions.

The thing I'm somewhat struggling with is getting things started. After all, with Xeykard I still want to write a Sith, and that means he's pretty power-hungry, ruthless, and evil. I also haven't been writing him long enough to give him people around him that might serve as positive influences (very unlikely to happen anyways, because Sith) nor moments where he might be confronted about the nature of his actions and be forced to change. Depending on how some invasions turn out, I might be able to push him into a change of circumstance, but I can't be sure how that will work out.

It's early days for me, but I hope that the stories you want to tell work out (and benefit from the few tidbits of advice that I've given).

I have had Ala undergoing a rather out of the blue fall from her pedestal. I would not say she has become evil by any stretch, but she has certainly strayed from her straight and narrow path. Tathra's back massage was what I am using to have her reassess her direction lest she go too far.

Not a redemption arc persay, but a pre-redemption-is-necessary arc.

My philosophy has always been there is no such thing as true redemption because only those you have harmed can release you from those burdens. If they are dead then you can never fully be redeemed however that does not mean you can't or shouldn't hold yourself (character) to higher standard and strive for redemption even though you know it may never come.

Cords story arch from the start was about redemption and it has gone through it's ups and down and even thirteen years later (since I first created her) now she is still is striving to be a better person even though she knows she can't be redeemed for everything she has done. Her main archs have been redemption, realize she may stumble and fail but not to give up, acceptance to herself of what she is and what she has done, and continually strive to do better even though no true redemption can ever come.

In truth there should never be an end to a redemption arch, you should never be forgiven for the things you have done especially if it was taking hundred if not thousands of lives like Cord. Redemption should be about accepting and taking responsibility for what for what you have done and continually striving to do better and be a better person. Knowing that you might make mistakes and slip up but again accepting what you have done rather then trying to rationalize it away. Cord is not a Hero she is just someone trying to do better, be better, and make a better future for the Galaxy even though she knows there is no redemption or forgiveness for her in the end.

Those that do it just for the redemption and think there past deeds should be forgotten or buried after that point did for selfish reasons not to be better people. That and most species human or alien tendency to have long memories of the negative things that have happened to them or there people it is ridicules to think people will just forgive and forget your actions even a thousand years down the line there is going to be one or two beings who know what you did and will call you out for it.

But that's how I play redemption it should be a never ending thing your character is always striving for but never truly reaches until after death maybe but not always.

If I remember correctly Caedyn Arenais did a good one with WolfMortum WolfMortum back in the day.

Veiere's redemption arc was better than his actual turn and duration as a Darksider. I'd been toying with the idea for a while and a personal loss in the family led me to go ahead with it, which Veiere's excuse for turning was a mixture of isolation due to his past failures, depression and resentment over the state of the Jedi (He was a big advocate for unification - We've all been there lol).

In any case, his redemption Arc was spent focusing on Veiere helping others and asking nothing in return. His guilty and his desire to make amends often led Veiere to participate in Invasions where he would fight tooth and nail to defend others, or smaller threads where he would contribute to other factions dominions however he could with the similar narrative, trying to achieve some good wherever those threads were based.

This arc never actually concluded, he never found his peace after returning to the light. Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser had convinced him to come back to the Jedi, which eventually led him back to the Order of the Silver Jedi. He died fighting against Darth Prazutis Darth Prazutis on Bimmisaari defending the city from the Sith Empire. At that point in time, he still hadn't found his point of redemption.

The whole point of the arc was that he never stopped trying, despite whatever treatment he was given over his past sins.

By having them...actually face consequences. Put them on trial, send them to jail, a penal unit, strip them of the Force, take away their wealth. And have them actually be shunned by society. They committed crimes, now they must face punishment.

None of this 'I said sorry and killed the right person, so I'm all good now' or 'I have helped [insert number] people, so I've atoned for the [insert number] people I murdered' stuff.

And definitely no Kyp 'I blew up planets but it's cool, I wasn't myself' Durron nonsense. You commit genocide...your victims aren't gonna be forgiving nor should they. But don't have them openly angst all the time about all the bad stuff they did. That just gets whiny and self-pitying since they're making it all about their 'pain'. Also...the char must choose to change, just like they chose evil.

Been doing a 'redemption arc' of sorts for Diona, an NPC in Elpsis' posse. It's very heavy on 'redemption is the road, not the destination'. Her penance will last for life. She accepts this, and is stoic about it. She's earned some trust, but not a lot. Elpsis' clone Kyriaki will be sorta getting one, though since she's not super evil (though she has still committed or been an accessoire to crimes she should try to make amends for), it'll be more important about her moving on from her racist and Forcer supremacist views. Mind you, I don't write Jedi.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about redemption arcs. Not really, but I know a thing or two about turning a new leaf or two over. Redemption can be random, or seem random to the person who is being redeemed or is having their perspective shift to allow for it, but I suppose it should be obvious to anyone who knows them well enough.

Which you'd hope a reader, like any good friend - should.

Redemption is more about the people around you than yourself. Whilst it might cleanse the soul, a REAL redemption is done selflessly and for others. Because, its inherently the opposite that makes it necessary. At least, in my opinion. Though I suppose, you could argue the opposite?

Ultimately I think a 'redemption' is doing the right thing, because its right; because its kind. Not because it'll make you look good or because you want to be redeemed. I think if I was writing a character going through a redemption arc this is what I'd write it like, the release of the fixation on self.

Cause real redemption, I think is realising that putting more light or good into the world is more important than how you feel about yourself. And I think in acknowledging that, a character grows and can find inner-peace.

Redemption can be tricky to write. My old main character Yuroic, could have done his own redemption from evil, but it needs the right motivations and story behind the change in character. It can build up slowly, or quickly, all depends on how you feel the character reacts to things. Yuroic redemption ended up being around his drug use. Wasn't as eloquent as I would have liked but I found it an interesting arc for my character and there were great opportunities for him.

For me, it is important to know you have writers willing to work with you on the redemption if you want to have one. Write it with people, if that is what you want, make it clear how the story progression you want will go and then starting writing it. Make sure to be open to ideas and twists, but enjoy it with others.

This is a very interesting question posed. Especially in regards to my character Syd.

Syd's under a reincarnation curse. One of those incarnations was Darth Phyre.

For those of you who haven't read, Phyre was a horrific, bloodthirsty Sadist at least ten times worse than The Amalgam. She wasn't redeemed. But neither was she willingly converted to The Dark Side.

Instead, a faction of Jedi, after she had kicked virtually everybody else's ass trying to bring her down finally decided to just simply give her no choice in the matter and use magic to convert her against her will into a Light Side weapon, than had her unknowingly wipe out her own cult before imprisoning her essence in Nullification Resin.

The Point is, like Revan (Whom she was partly inspired by), Redemption was NOT Phyre's choice. Not at all. But nonetheless as Syd, she is heavily burdened by and horrified by her crimes as Darth Phyre, and deeply conflicted at the moment between helping Laertia, and trying to stop Starlin from going down her road, which she screwed up badly at Dantooine. After Sarka, she has begun to see it more Laertia's way, partly because she's in love, but mostly because Sarka traumatized her the way Nar Kreeta did with Laertia, and she's suddenly not so sure she wants the Order's idea of redemption anymore, given what she saw and felt in The Force at Sarka. But does she want to be Darth Phyre again? Certainly not. She is disgusted by and loathes the Sith version of her (Who really WAS the sort of vile, perverse monster that Jedi say all the Sith are). Many of her crimes are so horrific that Syd knows she'll never find real forgiveness. All she can do is pass on her teachings to someone she hopes will carry on whatever fragments of actual good that still live in Syd. Syd wants to be good, but she knows she'll probably never achieve that. The best she can hope for is to "Not be Phyre ever again."

This sentiment is clouded however, given her current actions, and she has grown as frustrated with the Jedi as Laertia has...so she is deeply confused about what she truly wants.

But one way or another, she is going to have a reckoning with her past through Laertia, whose parents she murdered and dismembered while still a Sith, and The Amalgam, who is Phyre's successor (and has a copy of Phyre's mind hiding inside said Successor)

I don't think she'll ever truly find redemption. The best that can happen is that she spends the rest of her life using the Light however she can and shunning giving into the Dark Side. But it is important to her to do as much good as she can, without expecting a reward, which motivates her fight with the Bryn'adul...she believes that by stopping them, she'll save more lives than Phyre stole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom