Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is My Role-Playing?

A little while ago someone outlined the difference between good writing and good role-playing to me. A beautiful writing style and writing collaboratively with other people are two different things, but they go hand in hand on a role-play site. Lately, I’ve been trying to focus on the latter.

So! In the spirit of introspection, I’m here to ask you what you think of my role-playing ability. I do my best to actively engage whoever I’m writing with, whether it be a one-on-one thread or something public on a large scale. I also try and give my partners something to respond to without pushing the thread too far. This goes for Joza as well as my alts, [member="Farah"] and [member="Alm"].

Self-reflection can only take me so far, so please be honest and constructive. Do I have boring posts? Have trouble responding to them? Do I take up the spotlight? Does it seem like I'm stroking my ego? My goal with role-playing is to write stories that everyone involved can enjoy, not just me.

As always, PMs/discord are both open if you feel more comfortable responding in private.

tenor.gif

I agree with Kaine on this one. You always do a great job no matter which of your characters you play. You always work with everyone on the central narrative but don't let people dictate your actions. That is the best you can ask for.

[member="Joza Perl"]
We've not gotten to write as much as I'd like (hint: invitation!) but I've followed a few of your threads so I can give a broad opinion.

Overall, I really like your writing, and your characters are good.

I think at the beginning Jozie was a little shallow and one note seductive, but I feel she's developed nicely over time.

[member="Darth Carnifex"] [member="Tristram Senan"]

Thank you two! It's encouraging to hear that :)

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Thank you--It took me a while to find my footing with Jozie, sometimes I dont think that I've handled some of her developmental aspects in the best way, but I'm happy with where she's at right now.

Also yes, we need to thread! Jozie is on hiatus right now but I've got [member="Farah"] and [member="Alm"] who can use some threadage :D

I'll be frank and admit that there's a bit of bias given the fact that I greatly appreciate you as a writer - You have a way of getting along with people that I can only dream of possessing. That said, I've read about a half-dozen of the threads you've been involved in and applaud your substantive posts, your basic yet well thought out formatting, and the stories behind your main characters. Joza's story is intriguing - she's gone from smol babby Padawan to innovative businesswoman behind a Tier VI company. I haven't seen much of Alm, but your writing with her seems good, and I really like where it seems you're planning on taking Farah. I don't know much about Avi - not going to lie, haven't read any of your threads with that character - but the vibe I'm getting is that given your previous work, he's more than likely up there in quality with your other characters.

With regards to some of the questions you put up for answering - your posts are rarely boring. In fact, they hit what I consider the sweet spot between long and expository and short and to the point. Given we've only had one thread so far, not sure on your response rate - everyone could be faster, but I know you're involved in a good number of invasions, and that sort of thing bogs everyone down. You do take up the spotlight, but it's not in an ego-stroking, self-bolstering sort of way. More in a 'this character stands out, in a good way, from the average' sort of way.

tl;dr you are good and I enjoy threading with you

[member="Joza Perl"]

We've talked about your characters a lot. One thing I appreciate about you is your ability to separate ic from ooc. Any time I said something critical about or questioned one of your character's actions and asked for clarification, you've responded in a reasonable way and outlined your position without taking offence.

I think you've improved as a writer. Joza appears a bit shallow on first glance and I think at times a bit too much emphasis was placed on the 'Zeltrons are sexual creatures' trope, but she shows plenty of depths when you get to know the character.

I think leaving the Jedi for good was beneficial for the character since she is not invested in the crusading business and is probably more light-grey than lightside. I've enjoyed her interactions with Enyo. They show a more, for want of a better word, human side to the Terminatrix.

I think bringing two other chars into the mix was a good idea, since, beyond the recent incident with the slavers (which I'd favour developing more), Joza is in a pretty settled place right now, with some of the main conflicts in her life being resolved. I haven't read much about Alm, though we've discussed some of your plans for her.

I like Farah a good deal though. She feels very real. As someone who's also writing a clone for a long time, I find her fun and interesting. She reads and acts very different from Joza. I'm not the type to rigidly preplan character arcs...since in my opinion that doesn't work well in a collaborative writing setting, where you're interacting with tons of other people, as opposed to when you're writing a novel or private fanfic. Enyo is probably my most preplanned char and even her goals have shifted over time.

That said, I'd give her some general goal to work towards though. Something that can be adjusted over time to not make things too rigid or stale. Maybe personal, maybe something related to her progression as a scientist. Or a combination of both.

Chance Bonaventure

C
As someone who's RP'd with Alm (as Excidium) I can say I enjoy your writing. It has scene description, internal thought and character interaction; all a good blend to ensure you recognize other's prompts, internalize them and push the thread on with your own prompts.

I'm looking forward to posting with Farah, and am interested in seeing the difference between characters I've interacted with on the one character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom