Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion How do you revive your writing muse?

You just need the Force

images

I have not had as much fun or "muse" to write a character as I do since I first started writing Gilamar Skirata Gilamar Skirata with Thalia and Melvain Braxis Melvain Braxis . Start fresh, break from things you normally do and find a new group to write with, or write with randos.

Personally, whenever I started FUs they always fell flat - especially dark siders. Thalia almost did, but I took the reasons she almost fell flat (lack of masters/people wanting to write that story) and turned it into the driving force behind her motivations. Again, I say this is the most fun I've had writing characters since Gil...and that was back in late 2013/2014. Screw old attachments, make new ones. Start the next generation.

I have not had as much fun or "muse" to write a character as I do since I first started writing Gilamar Skirata Gilamar Skirata with Thalia and Melvain Braxis Melvain Braxis . Start fresh, break from things you normally do and find a new group to write with, or write with randos.

Personally, whenever I started FUs they always fell flat - especially dark siders. Thalia almost did, but I took the reasons she almost fell flat (lack of masters/people wanting to write that story) and turned it into the driving force behind her motivations. Again, I say this is the most fun I've had writing characters since Gil...and that was back in late 2013/2014. Screw old attachments, make new ones. Start the next generation.

I feel like Caedyn was the closest I've come to imitating the success of Veiere Arenais where all of my characters are concerned, V was most certainly my best so far. That said, I retired Caedyn in a bid to break away from what was familiar to me for some of the reasons you've mentioned above. To explore something new and create new friendships etc.

I'm certainly open to new faction interactions/opportunities and writing with folk I have yet to.
I don't have any major faction obligations which is new for me too lol.

Appreciate the feedback everyone, thank you :)

Take a break, a long one even. I'll step away from writing here, or in other places for months or even years at a time. This is all just for fun in the end, and you're not gonna do anything but make yourself miserable pushing through. For actively trying to reignite things, if you can find some sort of game or show or book that has themes that are similar, that will typically give me a spark.

Personal tips.

Films. Movies. Tv.
1) Pick a character concept, explore and expand it. Shape it for starwars and eventually over time, you can end up with a polished character or concept.

2) Make a faction-based muse. Help out some minor factions grow, or big ones stay afloat, they always need you.

3). Music. Music. Music. Every character has it in their sig when I remember. Just so I can click it and boom, get back into that muse or something like it.
Ditto some people use art for the same reason. Often changing their character art or signatures, just so they can get that inspiration.

4) Take a wild idea and see where it leads. Probably to fade away but damned if isn't fun having a shot seeing what it was like.

5) The Big list of RPG Plots
Every roleplayer should have that in their back pocket. Its gone through a few incarnations and has a few different takes nowadays.

6) Paint a picture with your words. We were discussing this the other day. Rather than be a character, paint a scene with someone else.

7) Put some restrictions on yourself. The character flaws. Make them BIG and see what happens. Also, some people do this with their writing style, so they have a challenge

8) Craft an identity. This is one my personal favorites. From small mannerisms to drives or thought processes. I love to distinguish muses with how they would walk, talk or act.

9) And yeah alts. Obviously, I like em! I like fresh takes each time. Keeps things interesting.

I'm rather pleased to say that my muse is doing better now than it was previously when I first created this thread.

I took a month away to focus on IRL stuff and when I did return, I put aside all threads except two (one for Caedyn, and one for Valen). Now my Sith Valen has seemingly taken off and actually has me writing a factory submission again, something I've not been motivated to do for a long while.

Hopefully this thread might help others who find themselves stuck in a lull.

As for myself, I'm still taking it slowly. One character at a time really, focusing on Valen while Caedyn is spending time in a single thread with his sister Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun

Be careful what you wish for.
Step One: Get divorced.

Step Two: Get Sober

Step Three: Write something, anything.

Least, that's my secret.

...Oh, yeah. Hi. Been a while. waves
See, mine is similar:

1. Die (was technically dead for four minutes at one point)
  2. Find the love of your life
  3. Lose the love of your life.
  4. Find another
  5. Become happily married.
  6. Write for yourself and let others worry about if they like it.
  7. Oh, and movies

Darth Ahriman

D
I still have yet to see Valen....

He isn't aware you exist, or that there's any connection between you and himself.

I'm still in the progress of completing the thread where he discovers he's a clone, but it's been a long-term thread due to the month that I took away.

That and Asha Vynea made him promise not to come and visit...-Or maime you. One of the two. I forget which.

Yeah yeah. First you didn't want him to meet her cause it might make him go dark. That was a year ago, I think. And now he's dark anyways :p So there went that excuse! :p Not every thread with our characters has to be tea and crumpets, you know? :p

I thought that in that thread he did know of Lori and of course Caedyn and was looking to destroy the family line.

Darth Ahriman

D
Yeah yeah. First you didn't want him to meet her cause it might make him go dark. That was a year ago, I think. And now he's dark anyways :p So there went that excuse! :p Not every thread with our characters has to be tea and crumpets, you know? :p

I thought that in that thread he did know of Lori and of course Caedyn and was looking to destroy the family line.

I started a thread with Asha that was set ahead of the ongoing arc with his Master and discovering his origins yeah. Things were going slowly and I wanted another thread to write to back then. It still hasn't been finished, but it's progressing nicely now that I've returned.

Valen and Loreena will meet one day, but as of right now I'm trying to finish up this thread so he can hit Sith Knight and further develop into his whole "I'll show the Galaxy I'm more than the creation of lesser men" Arc. Which may involve wanting to wipe any sign of Veiere's former life from the face of every world he walked upon lol

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Fleet Commander For The Nomadic Peoples Coalition
So, long story short, I've been struggling for a while now with trying to revive my muse for writing on Chaos (And in general).

I'm an avid gamer and movie fan, so naturally, I've tried to use those to fuel my muse but to no avail. I've always enjoyed writing on Chaos, and this feels really foreign to me as I can't seem to find the motivation to write for characters that I'm interested in developing.

I feel quite isolated in this issue and so I guess I thought I'd see what works for others who, like I used to be, are fully engulfed in the beauty of RP here in this community.

Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. I miss having that love for writing and hitting that F5 waiting for replies lol.
I know I’m a little late to the party here, but here is my advice…

READ READ READ READ READ.

To a writer, the written word is everything. When you read the works of talented authors, it plants idioms, metaphors, rhymes, vocabulary and many other tools into your brain. Each of these tools is a weapon to a writer, and when you feel well-armed, you feel powerful and want to exercise that power. When you use up all of your weapons, you feel drained and spent and you struggle to come up with new motivations. So you need to replenish your arsenal and feel powerful again.

You won’t find that power in video game, movies, or here. You might pick up the odd thing from a video game or movie, but it’s not nearly as powerful as a good book. And you won’t find new weapons here, because the people here are the ones that you’re trying to impress or defeat, so why use their stuff? You need to consume new literature, and the more off-beat it is, the better.

There’s my two cents, three months too late lol

Darth Ahriman

D
LOL So.....next year maybe?? :p

I'm hoping sooner, but let's not rule it out :p

I honestly feel worse about the fact she never met Caedyn's daughter, who I've since scrapped as a written character as part of my "muse is dead" phase. She just wasn't vibing for me, despite making subs for her and everything. I dunno, it just didn't sit right.

I haven't voided her existence, Kristyl Arenais is just another NPC wandering out there somewhere, wherever Asaraa Vaashe Asaraa Vaashe and the rest of the Ascendancy are headed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom