Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion How do you revive your writing muse?

So, long story short, I've been struggling for a while now with trying to revive my muse for writing on Chaos (And in general).

I'm an avid gamer and movie fan, so naturally, I've tried to use those to fuel my muse but to no avail. I've always enjoyed writing on Chaos, and this feels really foreign to me as I can't seem to find the motivation to write for characters that I'm interested in developing.

I feel quite isolated in this issue and so I guess I thought I'd see what works for others who, like I used to be, are fully engulfed in the beauty of RP here in this community.

Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. I miss having that love for writing and hitting that F5 waiting for replies lol.

Blast tunes usually. Well, that's what keeps my monsterous muse going when I get into a rhythm for my posts at least.

Otherwise? I watch stuff. Shows, games, read stories. Hell usually my dnd games where I'm the DM gets my blood pumping with ideas. When I have downtime or am doing a monotonous task like washing the dishes, I'll think about my characters. What I wanna do, what I might be feeling. If it sparks the muse, I start writing. And blast tunes to keep fanning the flame.

Well when I am feeling a little down and not wanting to post... I honestly just post in a thread... can be a submission I have been sitting on and thinking about or a post in a solo thread or even one in a submission I am working on.. try to get those juices flowing and slowly get inspired.

My method is quite simple, but it does work. I simply don't write.

I've noticed that forcing the issue in any way just makes writing feel even more like a chore than it already does when my muse isn't there. I just take a step back from writing. I do continue hanging out in the Discord servers, so I can jump right back in when I get that itch again (and for the people themselves), but there are tons of other things you can do with your time if you need a break.

Asha Sar'andor

A
Don't force it. If you're experiencing burnout, take some time for yourself. Recharge your batteries, and eventually you'll be struck with inspiration again <3

Pull back or take a break.

Others have also suggested this, however, the issue has been affecting me for what feels like a couple of months now. I've posted very rarely compared to what my past activity has looked like prior to late 21.

Depends on the muse or type of writer you are. Some you need to ignore and just let it return in its own sweet time. Others need to be fought in a vicious duel to defeat the writer's block.

I do love a good Major PvP Thread (Invasions etc). The problem there is a lack of connection to any current Major Factions.

...and extensive plotting with friends always seems to help reignite my muse.

This comment resonated with me. I'm on discord sparingly so I don't have too much out of character contact with people.

I need to make new friends and reconnect with old ones.

So, long story short, I've been struggling for a while now with trying to revive my muse for writing on Chaos (And in general).

I'm an avid gamer and movie fan, so naturally, I've tried to use those to fuel my muse but to no avail. I've always enjoyed writing on Chaos, and this feels really foreign to me as I can't seem to find the motivation to write for characters that I'm interested in developing.

I feel quite isolated in this issue and so I guess I thought I'd see what works for others who, like I used to be, are fully engulfed in the beauty of RP here in this community.

Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. I miss having that love for writing and hitting that F5 waiting for replies lol.
Stop writing altogether and do something else for a while. Eventually you get some desire to do something again and you use that as your starting point. I've taken over a year off from writing before and came back with arguably better ideas than I had when I left or any time before then, though I don't think a whole year of just not logging in is really necessary.

Alternatively (or in conjunction with), write allegorical characters/storylines. I made Darth Mori as a character to serve as one. While I find that anything which affects the "hidden message" behind the story can really impact your will to write in a very challenging way to come back from, they're a lot easier to write without feeling real burnout from doing "too much" too quickly with them. You also sort of have that feeling like you're writing a deeper story than normal, though maybe that's just the first couple times, so it makes it feel a bit more fulfilling. If the thing you're making an allegory to is really deeply personal you also have the bonus of having that constant motivation to continue writing because you're always going to have that inspiration there.

I also try as hard as possible not to tie a character to another one or a faction because then I am at the mercy of other people, and my relationship with them or that group can introduce volatility into my desire to write. This is different from having a go-to writing partner for a character, and has more to do with stuff like turning a character into one that exists to serve a function or role rather than being able to exist without that other person/thing/place/people/etc. Like if you're writing a Sith that you basically built into being the Sith Emperor or whatever and then that empire goes down, if you can't write that character after-the-fact because so much of their character is the faction then, to me, that is tying that character to that group - ditto if you write a character that is so attached to another character that if the other writer stops writing them or with you for whatever reason and it tanks your ability to do things then you're doing much the same thing.

I'd like to note that my first post was 100% serious. Enyo's entire character development was kicked off by her losing most of her body parts when Korriban City was bombed. And then being forcibly cyborgised, brainwashed etc. And then going on a roaring rampage of revenge.

Elpsis got actual direction after being brutally tortured & brainwashed. And then eventually going all fire phoenix. That said, I've actually been nicer to Siobhan on this board than on the one I started her as. It was too melodramatic over there. Here she's only been spaced, had a stroke, been put into a coma after being stabbed etc.

And young Kyriaki has been through fun stuff. More fun stuff is in the pipeline for her. Incidentally, she's the character I like most.

I do love a good Major PvP Thread (Invasions etc). The problem there is a lack of connection to any current Major Factions.

One doesn't need to have a deep connection to a specific major faction to join their invasions.

None of my characters have anything to do with the Maw or GA. And had nothing to do with TSE when they were still a thing.

Motivation for joining can be, depending on the character, something as simple as credits, broad ideological affinity (even if it's just 'I hate the guy you happen to be fighting for [insert reason], though I'm no fan of yours') etc. Enyo merced for TSE and Maw, Elpsis has no connection to GA and doesn't even like them (or Jedi in general, but I digress) but has joined several of their past invasions due to wanting to fight Sith.

Last edited:
Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan

I did something similarly destructive with an old Knight of Ren character of mine. He used explosives as a last-ditch effort to take his opponent down with him when he realized he had lost the battle. That led to submitting cybernetic limbs, armour, headgear and all sorts for him to continue to serve zealously for the First Order.

It worked out well for that character, as he cared less for himself and more about serving the Supreme Leader, so I can definitely see the benefit of doing so. I'm not so certain my current characters are ready for that. Maybe Valen Arenais, if any of them.

Sable Mur Sable Mur

These last two months have seen sparse engagement with Chaos as it stands, so I don't feel like I particularly need a break from the site, but perhaps I should consider it.

It's frustrating because I want to have that drive/addiction once more to writing, but I just can't get myself into the right frame of mind. I want to be here, but my fuel tank is running on empty.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. Keep it coming if you got it. It's all good food for thought.

Last edited:
Don’t try and push it, my friend. Creative energy comes and goes in seasons, and it changes like the tides. It’s up and down in rhythms, and when it’s down, sometimes it’s our brain telling us to rest, especially if there’s lots of other things going on.

What I do for my professional writing with low energy, is pick a project that’s super low stakes I can just do for fun to keep in the writing practice, without worrying about it being or good or not. Writing for the sake of writing (which is totally not what I use Chaos for:cool:)

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
One strategy that's worked for me many times is recognizing and countering what I've always called 'Level 50 syndrome' — characters so established that they don't have meaningful stakes anymore. They just drift aimlessly from casual comfort to casual comfort with the occasional pit stop in an invasion or something.

Possibilities for shaking it up and injecting real stakes:
  • They lose everything. Start from scratch, hungry and shaken and pissed off. Heck, take an LOA from that character and send them to literal prison or something.
  • They realize their lives aren't fulfilling so they give it up and pursue a new path.
  • They become the target of something implacable and overwhelming.
  • They become desperate to save someone or something in a big-project sense, and sacrifice a lot along the way.
  • Start the next generation. Who will be the heroes and villains of 890 ABY? Kick them off now.
All tried and true tactics for making the usual stuff interesting again.

WolfMortum WolfMortum

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom