Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you get into your characters mind?

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
In almost every case, I use music. Music sets good moods and ideas. A lot of the time I just tap into the part of me that I use to inspire the character to begin with, as well.

Bill Gould was particularly strong after I'd watch Schindler's List or any darker themed movie. Music was a good form for it as well.

Torjesgo can be a little bit tricky to get into though that may simply be from lack of use at the time, I usually listen to some music or just read through his history again to get the urge to write as him.

Akk Akk is an interesting one to write and for him I've got to take a step back and think on a more simple minded level. I'll usually look through some of the prototypical "brute" characters from multiple sources and then rather than take their stupidity, I turn it into uneducated and innocent to the ways of the rest of the galaxy.

I've always enjoyed writing characters who have skewed morals rather than are out there to BE EVIL, so it's an angle that is pretty easy for me to get into. It's neat to look at the world, even this fictitious one, from a different moral set than my own.

Vorhi: Watch even clips with Jackie Chan in them, or read the webcomic I pulled his playby from.

Mr. Ash: Angry, loud metal. Punk rock. Music that says "break stuff."

Olidiv: Something "fighty." Dynasty warriors, Black Mages, and other big, sweepy, dramatic stuff gets me into his head.

In general: Just rehearse conversations with other characters (even ones I haven't RP'ed with) in the thread. Read other threads. Sometimes getting into the weirdness of the universe helps me understand the character better. Like, for example, realizing that Vorhi was raised on his species second homeworld, and learned to fight on a completely different planet, and now works on another one. It helped understand his overall lack of permanence in things.

Final exercise for pushing a character's mind closer to mine: Imagine said character has been forced by a god or demon to sing on stage. What song would they pick, and why?

Qhorin Solas

Q
I don't really do anything... it just kind of comes to me. Each character is distinctly different, but each is also a part of me, however small. I can say that I absolutely do not listen to music. I prefer silence, in fact. Music throws me off something fierce, if I'm actually listening to it, and instead of typing story, I end up typing lyrics.

Maybe I've got a very mild case of MPD? Stepping into Kale's or Cronos's shoes is just as simple as flicking a switch. They kind of live in my head, so to speak.

I suppose that's why I've never been big on true Sith characters, and why I'm hesitant to begin rping with the Sith I recently created. I can't really put myself in that mindset.

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian
For me its rather simple, Music is an aid but the leading factor is that my characters normally carry my traits or some of them. For Example, Juthan is a mirror image of me, just in chiss form. Every action he takes are things i would do, every though he has are things i think, and every word he said is what i would say. But then you take Alex, she only takes the intellectual parts over, but i draw her looks, and actions off that of a mixture between my sister and me. But then you take void and that is the secluded and passive side of me, never wanting to be out in the open for the world to actually see.

@HK-36 that brought me straight to 'legal custodians'.... eh miss that show
@[member="Cronos Aegir"] hear you there i listen to music but no lyrics.... bsg and game of thrones are my current faves

Qhorin Solas

Q
Ah, Game of Thrones. They have some pretty damn good music @[member="Sargon Vynea"]. I even wrote/am writing a GoT/HP fanfic.

Long ago in a distant land

I, Sarge, the Stealth Master of being a jerk... didn't exist

But then, a foolish fellow writer wielding a stupid idea stepped forth to propose me

But, before the 'create a post' button was struck, she threw open a portal through the internet and flung me into a site where my creation was assured

Now, I don't seek to return to the past because I really have no idea where I'm going with this and I should leave this to @[member="Alna Merrill"]

But seriously, my character is me

Haven Pryde

Pirate Queen | ODF Marine
Hrm interesting topic.

I normally listen to music while allowing my mind to wander with images flashing before my eyes that allows me to envision my characters almost as if I am watching a movie with them in it, it's quite entertaining and fascinating.

Although only certain songs work for each, so it's very selective.

@[member="Sargon Vynea"], @[member="Cronos Aegir"] If you two like Music to get into your character that has no lyrics. Some of the songs done by Two steps from hell is very good. I use it to get into my character Morna and Darren all the time. And I have a closer connection with Morna because I made him almost completely after myself. Thats why I write in first person narrative as I see myself in Morna.

Alndys

Mercenary, Artist.
For Alna, I smoke cigarettes. It's really that easy.

For Aleidis, I listen to bubbly pop music. Makes it hard to get wound up to purge heathens when you're jamming to Vanessa Carlton or listening to Sugarland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom