Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we better adapt the Marketplace forum to the Roleplay forum?

[member="Valdus Bral"] - That's opening another can of worms, as who's to judge one person's submission to be worthy of quality over another? For a theoretical example, I could see someone without a fully-fleshed out submission that isn't at least 500 words in the description section alone - explaining what their submission is in intricate detail - to be sub-par quality submission. Someone else could see a submission that's less than 500 words, and see a quality submission.

Quality is far too subjective a term.

I also understand there's a difference between not knowing a submission exists, and the use of a submission being denied by the submitter.

However, why reward the lazy - when they could get their answers by using the handy-dandy search tool? It's what the tool is meant for - and if someone can't be bothered to do their homework ahead of time, why should a system be made to cut down on something that isn't even a problem?

You'll note that I mentioned both Closed and Open Market submissions in my last post. I know full well that Open Market subs are free for everyone to use. However, with the modification system in place - that can easily change.

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
[member="Khonsu Amon"] Judging quality over someone else already exists on this website in the way of invasion outcomes. It's not a stretch to do so for factory submissions. Though I understand this idea will not be implemented, regardless.

[member="Valdus Bral"] - Even then, one RPJ's version of quality differs from the next, so that changes from one invasion to the next. Which means the same would and could be said of Factory submissions... pretty much what i mentioned in my previous post.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
[member="Khonsu Amon"] You're assuming a directory isn't viable due to the inherently subjective nature of what would be considered a superior submission. When in reality a directory is not a finite space, there would be no need to kick someone else's submission out of the directory to make room for another nor would there be a situation at which two submissions would be vying for entry into that directory and only one may enter; superiority is not relevant.

However, why reward the lazy - when they could get their answers by using the handy-dandy search tool? It's what the tool is meant for - and if someone can't be bothered to do their homework ahead of time, why should a system be made to cut down on something that isn't even a problem?
The factory is constantly full of technology, vehicle, and starship submissions with many of those submissions seeming very close to what has already been submitted, with some being open-market and freely available to those players. As much as you seem to care for the workload of factory, you don't seem to care about the workload for the factory.

Valdus Bral said:
As much as you seem to care for the workload of factory, you don't seem to care about the workload for the factory.

Right. Having been a Factory Judge myself - I know what their workload is like. Having been an RPJ on another RP website, I know what their workload is like. I care very much for their workload, and making a directory of submissions is unnecessary adaptation to the marketplace.

You'd literally be creating a duplicate entry for what's already listed in the Company's storefront thread. So, wouldn't that go against what you'd intend to do with duplicate submissions?

I can see where this is going and I don't feel like circling the toilet while someone makes assumptions on my behalf - especially after this;

Valdus Bral said:
Though I understand this idea will not be implemented, regardless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

If I knew a red car existed I wouldn't app in another red car. That by definintion is less work in the long run for RPJs/Factory Judges to do. If they weren't overbooked with duplicate submissions they wouldn't have instituted an "its approved until its not" policy. Which was an extremely recent change.

I was only suggesting a resource list for players. It has nothing to do with competition. Why is it such a stretch to say "Hey we have this list of player made RP goods, if you're new and don't know how to app things in, check these out. Have a nice day!"? There is nothing wrong with that. The Codex used to have a planet and species directory and I wasn't suggesting anything that comprehensive. So it has precedence on the site, really it would not be that hard in comparison to what was done, and there isn't someone saying "Ah man you nerd, you're not on the list you're such an inferior player hahahahaha".

Edit: Giving companies something to do rather than just be made and not posting isn't competition so much as it is a purpose. Being on a list and striving to be on that list is no more a competition than us debating changes in this thread. Unless of course this is all just one big competition and I had no idea.

1. Bring achievement back and the sense of accomplishment back.

2. When I can flop 50,000,000,000,000,000 credits on a bounty because I pulled the number out of thin air just because I can... it makes the whole system seem laughable to me. There are far too many bounties in the past with overwhelmingly high amount of credits that mean nothing to real game play at that...

3. Maybe there is a way players can barter... access to private subs for access to other private subs or help in doms etc... what exists in board mechanics now which could be leveraged?

How someone runs their marketplace storefront should be up to the person running it. It's not up to staff to micromanage it...and frankly staff has better things to do.

If they want to do IC responses, cool. If they wanna deny the sale of tech doodad X to potential purchaser Y, cool. If players wanna barter tech because that's a better way to get something out of a transaction, cool. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that.

If you wanna try to rp a mini-economy for yourself...there's nothing stopping you. I rp Firemane as being very rich, with a lot of new and shiny tech, and I regularly make purchases from other companies and Firemane subs new things at a quite regular basis.

Conversely, Kaida's Shadow Knight elf rebel group is poor since they're a bunch of space nomads, so their toys are almost totally limited to canon stuff and often somewhat old Firemane weapons. Their priorities go into keeping their nomad fleet working, not having status symbols like Sio'd be inclined to, so they barely ever buy anything on the market. But this all my choice.

Archangel's in the middle. Less wealthy than Firemane, but still quite rich. However, Enyo has a Spartan life style by choice...so she's not as extravagant as Sio.

Literally just keep responses in-character. You don't need a long-winded post of visiting a person's store and play-by-posting to get something, you just change a post where you go from:
7f9beae5c5dbf0208efa659765e4b082.png

To:
3a6466885628561dab238ecf0cb07300.png

It's that simple. You don't need to change the way you do anything, just keep your posts in-character. That's it.

Edit: And to be clear, the Bounty Board section is already supposed to be this way, it's even in the rules for it (or was, I haven't checked to see if those were removed with the forum switching), but nobody is going to care if you deviate from IC as long as it isn't jarring. Keep the rest of the marketplace the same way and everything will be fine. The world won't end, staff won't be breathing down your necks, and nobody will care if someone misses that section in the rules and ignores it. Life will move on. Making it a rule with zero consequences (aside from maybe an angry marketplace owner reporting a post in their thread to get the post removed) will let the people who want to enforce the RP-only stuff in their own marketplace threads have it their way and let the people who don't care ignore it like they would have anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom