Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a Force Skillset requirement list?

Matreya

I'm wondering if any of the vets to the site, RPJ, or Staff would be willing to throw their lot in with me as I attempt to create a comprehensive list of known Force Abilities and the level needed to use them? I believe at one point we had a basic list, but it never got that large.

As time goes on, I plan to take this list and incorporate all from Wookieepedia and those site canon powers as well. I would like input from as many people as I can get. I will be going to people in specific, but this is for those that wish to help that I can't think of.

I may also add a 'uses' portion to the powers, to take in ones like [member="Ashin Varanin"]'s use of Force Weapon (I believe that's the skill...jeez its been forever since I read her stuff!), or Zaiden's use of Photokinesis to make shadows etc.

Soo...anyone on bored?

Before this goes any farther, I'm just gonna quote something for you [member="Darth Pikiran"]

Tefka said:
However, to the crowd asking me about whether or not they can make custom powers... please don't ask me what you can or can't do. I understand there is a need for direction from some of you, a need for hard defined rules. And I *could* provide these rules. I could *police* these decisions. But in the absence of rules is freedom, freedom allotted to you to make your own decisions of how you want to go about things. If you complain about ambiguity then you're missing this very obvious chance to do things how you want to do them and not have someone tell you how to do it. Which is the whole point of this announcement. There was an instance where someone tried to force someone else to do something using a sentence written in the character template. We didn't realize people were doing this, so we removed the sentence... because we want you to make your own decisions.

Matreya

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Cool to know. In comes my Acolyte whose mastered Balistakinesis, Force Storm, Drain, Tutaminis, etc.

Sigh.

Once upon a time that sentence wouldn't have even been a good joke for the site. It is deteriorating with this kind of utter lack of control.

Either way, hopefully my list will help newcomers not attempt to be like this.

Darth Pikiran said:
Cool to know. In comes my Acolyte whose mastered Balistakinesis, Force Storm, Drain, Tutaminis, etc.

Expect to be reported.

Staff won't place requirement on Force Powers, but we will place requirements on being a mature, respectful writer who knows how to use moderation when it comes to writing their character's abilities.

Matreya

Just not when its unreported. Makes sense. Than I just need to do like Rapax and befriend those around me to argue on my behalf before it reaches that point.

Which comes down to inequality. If one person attempts to make Zombies, for example, that is new and liked by all, they may get a word or two on the side. Someone that has actually been here just a wee bit longer and given a chance to be hated for whatever reasons will face the opposite.

Soo...be friends with everyone and make an enjoyable story, and you will be able to have a god character.

Matreya

Not quite. I have been complaining for a few weeks now that I am not familiar with the changes on the site. I have been here for a long time, true, but also have had long bouts of inactivity. Since those times it has become quite a different place.

When I was in Rapax's same place, having the knowledge of Tsaiwinokka Hoyakut at Knight, I was spoken to by like 8 of you all. "That's a master ability" etc. Now? I can literally do anything as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes.

Massive difference

So as said, I am not aware of the policies.

Darth Pikiran said:
Not quite. I have been complaining for a few weeks now that I am not familiar with the changes on the site. I have been here for a long time, true, but also have had long bouts of inactivity. Since those times it has become quite a different place.

When I was in Rapax's same place, having the knowledge of Tsaiwinokka Hoyakut at Knight, I was spoken to by like 8 of you all. "That's a master ability" etc. Now? I can literally do anything as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes.

Massive difference

So as said, I am not aware of the policies.
I'm not sure what your personal beef is with Darth Rapax but believe me, he was spoken to by many about his use of necromancy. In my opinion he was given way too hard of a time and should have been cut more slack as a new player.

It sounds like the both of you have gone through similar things when using powers that folks felt you shouldn't be able to use. So instead of getting angry with him, maybe try a little empathy?

Matreya

I am not in any way angry with Rapax. In the slightest. More so those that degraded my playing ability but accentuated his. If a certain etiquette is in place, it should stay there.

[member="Sage Bane"]

Darth Pikiran said:
Not quite. I have been complaining for a few weeks now that I am not familiar with the changes on the site.
Nobody is responsible for you reading the rules but you. However, Staff is always willing to answer questions and provide assistance if required.

If you have questions, I'd direct you to the Site Feedback forum.

Rapax

R
[member="Darth Pikiran"] [member="Sage Bane"] is right about that i recieved a ton of flak on useing that power more flak then was nessesary i only used it once on this large scale and i am new to the invade world........and i dont have everyone around me jump the guy who critique's what i do....if they wish to voice there opinion on the matter so be it if this becomes a problem i have this lovely thing called a PM system among other things that can be used instead of this.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Darth Pikiran said:
More so those that degraded my playing ability but accentuated his.
To be fair, this is something that happens a lot sad to say. Two people will do the work and one will be joked about/degraded/told they can't do that while the other praised. It happens and it sucks but you can't force people.

Darth Pikiran said:
I believe at one point we had a basic list, but it never got that large.
Any list that was made was unofficial, the site has never banned or restricted any force abilities unless they broke site rules.

Darth Pikiran said:
I was spoken to by like 8 of you all. "That's a master ability" etc. Now? I can literally do anything as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes.
Such has always been the case. It was also easier to get a superweapon approved in 2013 than it is now, and as times change we can become more strict or more relaxed, it depends on the maturity of the site and the people who use it. If something gets abused it will be reported, so as long as you are not doing something ridiculous and completely out of line there will generally be no issues. There is nothing wrong with that, either. If someone wants to practice necromancy in their own time, away from large invasions, at a level of skill that most would feel isn't ready for that kind of a thing, that is totally fine - but creating a star, or absorbing one for that matter, and trying to destroy a planet with the force is going to get you reported faster than white on rice.

Anyone who told you "that's a master ability" in the context of your using it as a knight probably saw the use of that ability, and the scale of it, as being too advanced for someone of whatever level of skill you were at rather than jumping down your throat to tell you that the ability was off-limits, as there has never been any limitations on force abilities on this site. While, yes, Rapax was practically reamed, it was more because of OOC tensions in the invasion rather than his writing itself. Yes, I believe his use of whatever was probably a bit beyond an acceptable margin for whatever it was that he was doing, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ream him out in an OOC discussion thread rather than PM him and talk to him, maturely, about how whatever it was he was doing could have been achieved on a more believable scale.

Of course, if a character is a padawan or acolyte they are held to believable levels of skill - a Padawan is not a master - and to breach that level of believability is asking for a report. You can push the limits, but you should know when to show restraint.

Matreya

[member="Darth Rapax"]
First off man, wanna clear the air: there is no beef between us. I am not mad, irate, irritated, miffed, etc, at you. I offered advise in a specialty of mine and you ignored it. While that doesn't necessarily make you my favorite person, it also isn't a massive attack against me.

I simply name you as an example to these situations. That is it.

[member="Tefka"]
God character is not what I meant, more like almighty. Which is, according to your RPJ, and FJ, totally within bounds. So long as I am respectful, and mediate myself, I can quite literally do anything.

No?

In regards to rules etc, I have more or less paid attention to these. However, if something is announced yet not written in stone, it is not a rule nor placed on the rules. So, how then would I know of something from a time when I am not here, other than to read every single announcement? In regards to asking, how do I ask something I am not aware of?

[member="B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII"]
The main times I have seen mentions of those words, are before things even began! I was warned about the skill when I had never even had a character decipher the Sith text. It was also done by those with that nifty 'Founder' tag, ya know the ones held with almost the same regard as Tef? As such, it isn't outside of the box for me to believe that word is law, when said so.

[member="Darth Pikiran"]
That's okay. I don't think they literally meant you couldn't use the ability, just more along the lines of a cautionary warning to not go too far. People tend to get jumpy about force powers, so it is understandable if they tried to drill their own opinions, just take things people say with a grain of salt.

Matreya

Of course, if a character is a padawan or acolyte they are held to believable levels of skill - a Padawan is not a master - and to breach that level of believability is asking for a report. You can push the limits, but you should know when to show restraint.
The opposite of this was one of my biggest issues recently. There isn't any form of regulation. Apprentices come on and hurl a dozen lightning bolts, lift literal tombs, etc. Its how its done on here now.

B.I.A.N.C.A MK VII said:
Any list that was made was unofficial, the site has never banned or restricted any force abilities unless they broke site rules.
This is interesting to me. Abilities such as Thought Bomb, Force Scream, Waves of Darkness and the Sith Mind Control have the potential to be super weapons. I like the idea of these abilities seeing more play because they are super tools to making an epic story.

Lord Mythos said:
these abilities seeing more play

Lord Mythos said:
Waves of Darkness and the Sith Mind Control
My previous Sith Lord, Darth Vitium/Atrophia, was a master of Sith Magic and utilized waves of darkness quite often, as well as Qazoi Kyantuska in situations where NPCs were involved (never on a PC, as I feel that would be pushing them into a corner). During the Invasion of Kashyyk, and on Manaan, I made extensive use of the Waves of Darkness to slow down the enemy reinforcements.

That being said, the only ones of these with a potential to be used as a superweapon are Thought Bomb and perhaps Qazoi Kyantuska (Supress Thought/Mind Control). I don't think anyone has used a thought bomb before, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't really be able to use it around other PCs, or do it by yourself - as it was an elaborate ritual which required multiple Sith Lords in canon - so I think that would be pretty quickly reported if used in, say, an invasion. I'm sure using it as a plot point in a private thread, campaign, or even a dominion, would be okay, though. You just have to show some significant restraint on that as it literally disintegrates pretty much every living being with a connection to the force that its explosions touch.

Qazoi Kyantuska, of course, is pretty exploitable too, but it can be used pretty responsibly as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom