Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Show/Tech Expo Idea

So, the thought hit me earlier today about setting up a gun show or technology expo for the board. Kind of like the annual SHOT Show in Las Vegas but for Star Wars: Chaos. I bounced the idea around and had some feedback with some of the members I have on Skype and figured I'd put it up on here.

So, here's the full idea. Start up an IC Annual big gun and technology show. Every IC year (maybe one every couple of OOC months), we do a show for the companies that want to show off and make sales and the PCs that want to go take a look and buy. Now, this wouldn't be a tossed together sort of thing. I think it'd need to be pretty well planned to be a successful thread. So here's a couple of ideas on how to plan it out.

First, limit company slots. This does two things: First, it limits how confusing the show itself would be. With a selected number of companies, there's less inter-character and inter-company confusion IC'ly and it'd be easier for RPJs and Staff to monitor everything going on OOC'ly. Secondly, it adds competition for those slots as the expo could help PC companies springboard themselves to higher tier levels and help sell their products to other PCs and factions on the board.

Second, make it a non-conflict thread enforced by hired PC security supported by some seriously tough NPCs. This negates and minimizes PCs from causing a ruckus and ruining the event for other PCs and their writers and it gives some PCs who like doing the security/bouncer shtick something to do and contribute to in the thread. Plus, those PCs who take on security roles could be paid in credits AND possibly some "free samples" from the companies participating. That said, the slots for Security PCs would be limited much like the company slots.

Third, a randomized reward for the thread. Just like RL shows and expos, we can do a raffle. Characters that want to participate go and IC'ly obtain a raffle ticket should they wish to participate. I figure the raffle could offer one big prize or a sort of series of prizes for first, second, and third place. Obviously the first place winner would get the bigger prize and so on and so forth. Also, the prize itself could be an "Event Item" or even just a Gift Basket of sorts put together from the various companies made up of some of their wares and products. As for how they win, players select their own three digit number and staff or whoever's running the Show logs it in so no one else gets that number. At the end of the show, those numbers are put in a "hat" and a winner or winners are randomly selected. Pretty simple stuff :p

Fourth, set up a contest for the companies involved. Prior to the event, each participating company writes up a submission for the factory. The sub would have to be something that doesn't require a development thread, restricted items, etc. and would need to be completed and approved prior to the start date and time of the Show. Once done, those companies debut those items during the expo to show how useful or innovative they are. Later, the writers vote in the thread for the winning item. The winning company maybe gets a contract or perhaps a prize of their own in the process or even maybe just gets bragging rights or a confirmed slot in the next Show. Actually, depending on the competition, a set and reserved slot for the winning company could be a pretty big item.

Anyways, just a few thoughts and ideas. I'd really like to get this up off the ground if possible simply because it'd be really awesome for those of us tech and data oriented writers to get together and "talk shop", compare notes, compete in a friendly atmosphere, etc.

So yeah, ideas, thoughts, comments? :)

EA-9 001

E
*reads the title* Sign me up! *forgoes the idea of reading the essay of what will be happening because he already likes the idea*

Arrbi Betna said:
Second, make it a non-conflict thread enforced by hired PC security supported by some seriously tough NPCs. This negates and minimizes PCs from causing a ruckus and ruining the event for other PCs and their writers and it gives some PCs who like doing the security/bouncer shtick something to do and contribute to in the thread. Plus, those PCs who take on security roles could be paid in credits AND possibly some "free samples" from the companies participating. That said, the slots for Security PCs would be limited much like the company slots.
Somehow, I feel like you are referencing something here...

I'm glad this is so well received lol That said, any Staff able to weigh in on this? I'm glad people like it, but if I could get feedback on the idea, too, that would be epicly awesome :p

@[member="Tefka"]

Mandal Hypernautics has a large plot of land purchased outside of Sundari on Mandalore. I use it for weapon, vehicle, and equipment testing. But its the perfect place to show off some fancy new hardware. We can set up a campground/fair for tourists to visit and offer free shuttle transportation from Hotels in Sundari.

That would actually work very well, @[member="Captain Larraq"]. We could set it up in a convention center or something in Sundari and then hold live testing and larger demonstrations (of tanks, vehicles, big guns, explosives, etc.) out at the firing range. I like it :p

We're pushing for a lot of new ideas. Sadly, this won't be one of them, as Staff only has so much time to spend on projects for the community. I wouldn't expect any official backing.

You are free, however, to try and push the idea yourself.

@[member="Alli Wren"]
Staff-wise, I just wanted some feedback lol Some thoughts on the idea is all.

@[member="Tefka"]
I'm not looking for Staff backing, honestly. I just wanted to see what Staff thought and if they had any ideas or advice.

My only concern would be about the "reward," but even that isn't a problem because any such reward would have to be tossed through the Factory first, and thus subject to oversight.

Seriously, if you have an RP idea, just do it. As long as you don't try to exploit stuff, we want you to do what you want to do. This site is for fun. ^_^

Oh, the reward isn't so much a factory thing. I mean, it could be if that's what's wanted, but with those I spoke to over chat, more people liked the "Gift Package" idea where the reward is just a box or basket full of odds and ends donated by the participating companies. Granted, those companies could put their contest items in there, but hey, that's them, and the items in question would already be approved through the factory anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom