Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Fifth Invasion Judging Category | Setup

if they're watching anyways
I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while and needed to get it out.

In short: Add a fifth judging category for invasions pertaining to the IC preparation of each faction for said invasion. It would involve showing the culmination of other threads and stories into what happened in the invasion itself.

Going to use NIO as an example, because I think they've done this really well.

Since NIO's inception they've had a focused narrative and overarching themes. In each invasion the intent of the faction is very clear -- the Will of Defiance, the gritty reality of war, the desire to destroy the Sith no matter the cost. The Braxant Campaign was written really well and the Invasion of Bastion was a culmination of all of the prior events, with a number of big moments. Irveric Tavlar Irveric Tavlar ordering
Kyber Dark comes to mind.

In that post, he quoted a number of other posts from previous threads that built to the decision he made in that moment. That's what I want recognized. When writers and factions put in the effort to build a larger story that leads up to an invasion, that should count for something during the judging.

Faction threads where the military-types get together to put the finishing touches on their battle plans, threads where someone admits their fears or reservations about the coming battle -- for me, that's just as strong as the invasion itself. I also think this would encourage more activity, communication, and cohesion for every faction.

Before the Invasion of Dantooine (and the few preceding events, which have been spoken enough of already), GA and NIO were working on a sort of Cold War-esque series of collaborative faction threads that would've culminated into an NIO Invasion of GA Carida. Obviously these plans fell through, but I think it could've been amazing to acknowledge all of the preceding faction threads and showing that the invasion wasn't just a one-off story of "X faction attacks X faction". There was a lot of talk between our staff teams about our story and the kind of beats we wanted to hit. I think it would've made for a great invasion, and the active collaboration OOC from both factions was something I'd never really seen before an Invasion (though, said Invasion did not happen).

The counterpoint that comes to mind first for me is that this can be covered in the Story and Tension categories already. NIO's consistent narrative kept them focused, and they didn't suffer because one more category didn't go to them in their invasions. Tavlar quoted those posts in his own and got his point and theme across without the RPJs needing to read an entire other thread.

That's the second counterpoint; this would definitely involve more work from the RPJs. While I'd suggest attempts to minimize the amount of reading -- linking highlight posts or summarizing the events of a thread -- it's still another category that would need judging. It'd also be difficult to find which parts really are relevant to the characters/tension/story over threads that are just 100 posts of loading up all of the new guns on the planet.

Third, I think this would tend to favor the attackers in each invasion. The attackers know they're going to announce the invasion at X date, and can prepare faction threads that pertain to said invasion, ramping up their efforts to win a category before the invasion was even announced. If the communication between the two factions is poor or sparse leading up to the invasion, the attackers know their objectives before their opponents do and can also prepare for those. (Note that the Invasion that TSE won during that series was the one they were attacking in.)

Quick Pros-and-Cons Redux:

• Acknowledges the effort put in by factions and writers to create an over-arching narrative leading up to the invasion.
  • Encourages factions to put in said effort and build an interesting story.
  • Technically already covered.
  • More work during judging and write-ups.
  • Favors attackers.
  • The game has changed around NIO.

Despite the flaws, I do think bringing in a category like this can improve faction threads and narratives before invasions. Specifics would be left up to staff, of course, and this is just a suggestion -- one that's open to feedback.

Major Faction

Ryv

Paragon of Sacrifice
I dunno if I like the idea, tbh.

Not to say it isn't a good one. The idea of showcasing your faction's build-up to an invasion seems like a great way to inevitably draw factions into telling more in-depth stories. I'm just not sure what exactly wins this. Number of posts you reference? How great a reference it is?

I like it, just not sure if I like it as its own criteria.

Yeah, kind of went over that in the cons -- adding it to Story might be a good choice.

In terms of format, I was thinking closer to Tension. The write-up gets a few highlights from previous threads that are relevant to the invasion, or those threads are summarized by the major faction's staff team.

We all fall in parallel
Either way, I like the idea of taking it into consideration during judgment. I've seen situations where Faction Owners linked threads in their write up leading into an invasion to help provide frame of reference for the readers.

In a way, it would add accountability. Forcing factions to justify their actions in character would help to reduce saltiness to a degree by making it so that people couldn't simply claim ooc motivation. It may not get rid of that entirely, but at least people would be able to paper trail it back and say, "oh, cool, there's a story here."

Even if the stories doesn't necessarily jive, well, the attempt means a great deal. That's why I say story here: after all, what is an invasion but an attempt to write a better story than the other team?

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Taking a quick glance at your post here... this how story is won. When a narrative is consistent, and much of that is based on relying upon build up to the plot.

In essence there is already a category for this.

Secondly, the RPJ’s assigned to judge the invasion would now have to look through other threads to judge that consistency. Invasion results are already something that can take a couple weeks to a month to wait on. This would only lengthen that process, or, see those threads passed up in consideration to simply get the results done.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Auteme Auteme I read it and my point still stands with the links. To actually check for consistency they’d have to judge those threads too, and because of that it would be delayed. Pointing out that the judgment would be delayed further was not something you had mentioned in your consideration. Just that it was extra work.

This is a story category consideration pure and simple. It’s not an actual distinct category on its own.

A fifth category needs to be able to stand on its own and not wrapped into another. If it can fit into an existing category, then it should. Take that feedback as you may.

Chancellor Emerita / Advisor of State
Taking a quick glance at your post here... this how story is won. When a narrative is consistent, and much of that is based on relying upon build up to the plot.

In essence there is already a category for this.

As you go on to say in the next sentence, no there isn't lol I mean, the GA did an entire speed dominion to showcase our preparation for Byss and it was a preparation that was both strategic and story-driven. That will never be taken into account in anything. Meanwhile, there are other factions that are happy to straight-up pretend invasions never happened. I understand that there are factions and people who don't get a lot of thrill out of world-building and that is fine, but with many other map game qualities that seem to be getting a tweak lately, there is very little incentive to be good writers which is what we are all here to do.

The entirety of the suggestion is so much deeper than that, though, to be fair.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
You ever go see a movie and its meh. Then you're buddy says, "Well you kinda have to see the ones before it to get it."

It'sss kinda like that.

Nah. That's a nah from me. :)

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan I'd never thought that doing more work might require more time, thanks for your feedback!

Though again, I suggested ways to minimize said work -- highlights from the previous threads linked in the write-up rather than the entire thread, or simply summaries of the main points.

The feedback I'm getting is that this should be folded into the Story category, which I'm completely fine with (though I will leave the title/initial pitch as is as a record, because this is a developing idea). What I intended is for such a category to encourage more cohesive faction storytelling -- for the work factions put into building up to an invasion to be recognized. I've been in a number of invasions but more often than not they felt impersonal and lacking in weight because it was just an attack or a battle with little to no build up. The enemy loses a hex, they dom it thirty days later, and no one remembers what happened. Only with some of the recent invasions has it felt like there's been real climaxes and effects on the map and in-character both. The threads surrounding these invasions are what cemented them for me and my characters.

Making an invasion even more of an event, a culmination of previous writing and stories, and having that be put in the rules and write-ups is what I wanted. Reward good writing, storytelling, cohesion, communication. I see acknowledging the preparation to be a good way to do that and to encourage improvement in all of those things.

Chancellor Emerita / Advisor of State
You ever go see a movie and its meh. Then you're buddy says, "Well you kinda have to see the ones before it to get it."

It'sss kinda like that.

Nah. That's a nah from me. :)

Alternatively... like a good book series, where you can start from anywhere and it is fine, but it would be magnitudes better the more books you had read in a series.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Adhira Chandra Adhira Chandra - Yes.

But. You don't get to win the Super Bowl because of your score and passing yards from the previous games. Yes. Your past games got you to the Super Bowl. But it's only what you left on the field while the clock was running, that got you the W.

So to the Admins and RPJs I say, don't move the goal posts. Keep the game in only one thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom