Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Even a Dark Flame illuminates The Way

PSncKiJ.png

Resa, Kestri
Along the Cin'ciri Mountain Range

After Kranak Vizsla Kranak Vizsla and Zlova Rue sparred together and established their warrior's prowess with one another, the tall Mandalorian had reached out to the outrageously Sith vod with a request. The man wanted to explore a means of defense against certain Dark Arts. Something that would not be easy as the man showed no aptitude as a Sith (Force User, but be honest there's only one proper Way -- the Dark Side), but not impossible. Seeing how Zlova's chief benefit to the Mandalorian Enclave was her knowledge of such techniques and how to counter them, the crimson Twi'lek agreed. Plus it gave her a chance to talk with an intelligent, strong Mandalorian about what made him and other beskar-fanatics tick. An equivalent exchange.

To facilitate exploring Kranak's request, however, they needed a suitable facility. Fortunately, Zlova recently came across such a place. A small community along the Cin'ciri mountain range that called its Resa. The people that lived there were not without technology, but they favored hand tools and hand-crafted furniture and dwellings rather than anything modern convenience afforded. Hearths were often fueled by renewable, radiant heating devices rather than wood-combustion, but only to minimize their intrusion on the environment around them.

Zlova found them a quaint people, but ones that took to her surprisingly well. It likely had something to do with her interaction with their resident mystic, which the entire community seemed to revere. When the Twi'lek asked why, all she got in response was, "The heart leads as the heart wills." So, nothing.

Stone steps curled around a rock outcropping atop which stood the largest structure in the village. A circular, wooden hall that looked out over the surrounding region. The structure was surprisingly well tended given the harsh environment, and its outer walls were suitably thick to repeal both the bitter cold and any unwelcome guests. Large doors stood open for Kranak to enter with only a few people slowly milling about inside.

A female Mandalorian with large, black feathers shoulder their shoulders would direct Kranak with one hand toward the center of the sizeable building. Through another set of tall doors into a large, circular chamber. A fire burned in a stone ring in the center of that room with the smoke escaping out of a hole in the ceiling above. The glow of the heart filled the room often providing a most welcome respite from the ice and snow outside.

The Lethan sat before that open flame with her arms propped atop a knee. Her golden eyes would rise to regard the Mandalorian as he arrived. As usual, she wore relatively little compared to most vod; though her legs were wound in black weave and a band covered her breasts. She gestured for Kranak to draw nearer to the flame as he entered the room. A smile slid over her lips with practiced ease thereafter.

"Shame we aren't here to spar. You should try it sometime. Their mystic, anyway, knows how to use these wooden sticks -- Bevik? -- surprisingly well. Still haven't convinced her to let me use a lightsaber, but she's convinced this is 'The Way.'" Zlova got to her feet once Kranak neared. She'd move around the fire to greet him with a handshake or headbutt -- a little Force enhancement to the forehead helped ward off a headache that might result.

After the greeting, Zlova regarded Krank openly. "So, tell me what it is you really want." Even if he just rehashed what he'd said over the line.

3oIWNfM.png

T R A I N I N G
O F
T H E
M I ND

Local Time: 20:19
Date: -DATA CORRUPTED-
Primary Objective: Learn and Practice Defense Against Dark Arts
Secondary Objective: N/A
Equipment: Loadout 1 + The Goran’s Stand (Greatsword’s Sheath lies over his left pistol holster on his Kama. Primary, Secondary and Backpack Left in his Barracks Locker)
Tags: Zlova Rue Zlova Rue

tQcpQG0.png

The Supercommando’s long black Kama fluttered violently in the steely cold wind of the snow storm. Snow caked all over the giant from buy’ce to cetare. The beautiful, lily-white snow that covered the stone walkway crunched underneath the giant’s armored combat boots as he slowly ascended the Cin’ciri Mountain Range. He was headed towards the coordinates he was given by the Lethan for learning a means of defense against a certain Force ability that troubled him considerably. He hadn’t exactly mentioned what it was to her in his request, but she obliged to help him regardless. He’d be lying if he wasn’t surprised by the fact that she chose to lend him a hand on this matter. He would return the favor, aiding the Red Devil in her endeavors of understanding and eventually becoming a part of the Mando’ade.

Although he certainly didn’t mind the trip, he wasn’t exactly sure as to why she chose the Resa of all places, though. The small settlement was high up along the Mountain Range. He didn’t know a lot about the folks that lived in Resa, other than the fact that they made little use of technology. To him, that sounded like they were a bunch of traditionalists taking it too far, but he wasn’t the one to judge. Hell, perhaps he’d enjoy such a quiet, simple life if he gave it a chance.

He could see the lights of the settlement in the distance through the snow storm thanks to his helmet’s
MFTAS. It wouldn’t take long for him to cover the distance in between, now. He continued walking as his mind drifted to the task ahead of him. He had no idea how hard this would be, but he knew it would be worth the effort.

There wasn't too much activity at this time of the day in the village, it seemed. Certainly not when there was a snowstorm raging outside people’s houses. The small village consisted mostly of stone huts, though despite the arduous environment, the houses appeared to be surprisingly well maintained. The warm light of the hearths indoors shone outside through the windows of the houses as he walked past them. His destination was further ahead into the village, though. His interactive heads-up display had placed a hollow blue diamond marker on the largest structure in the village to his north. The snow covered building was built atop a rock outcropping; a large circular wooden hall, surrounded by a thick stone wall in its perimeter. A column of smoke escaped from the structure's chimney, at the centre of the building.

A fellow vod clad in beskar’gam wearing a fur cloak, with large, black feathers adorning her shoulders directed him inside the large structure without a word. Glancing at her with an eyebrow raised underneath his glimmering white visor, the Vizsla gave a curt nod of his head, extending a silent gratitude at the Mandalorian as he walked past her into the building.

He walked through another set of thick wooden doors into a large circular chamber. A fire burned bright in a stone ring in the middle of the room. Its smoke gently trailed out the hole in the ceiling. The warming light and fire surely looked cozy. He could use some warming up himself.

The giant stood by the doorway, scanning the circular chamber before him. There was only one individual in the room. The Lethan was sitting before the fire alone; her palms were extended towards the hot flames before her as she warmed herself up. The woman wore simple, somewhat revealing attire as usual. Looking up from the crackling flames before her, the Lethan shot a gaze with her golden eyes towards him, presumably sensing his presence in the chamber. She beckoned him to come closer with a smile on her dark red lips. Nodding, Kranak walked next to her towards the fire. Heavy steps echoed in the chambers as he did.

”Shame we aren't here to spar. You should try it sometime. Their mystic, anyway, knows how to use these wooden sticks -- Beik?-- surprisingly well. Still haven’t convinced her to let me use a lightsaber, but she’s convinced this is ‘The Way.’”

She stood up to her feet as the giant stood near the fire. He extended his hands clad in crushgaunts towards the fire to warm his hands. He watched her as she moved around the stone ring. The woman stood next to her and extended her right hand towards the giant. With a grin on his face, the giant turned towards her and accepted the greeting by grasping her by the extended arm’s forearm with his right hand. The dome of his buy’ce met hers as the tall giant leaned forward to deliver the kov’nyn. <”Su cuy’gar, vod.”>

”So, tell me what it is you really want.”

There would be a short moment of silence as he turned towards the fire once again to warm up his hands before he spoke. <”How did you find this place? Out of all the places you could have chosen, this is a rather intriguing choice.”> Said the giant before telling her his intention. He wasn’t expecting to meet with her in such a place, and she was somewhat accepted here by the village folk by the looks of it? Sparring with their mystic… He had no idea who that would be. Perhaps the vod he saw at the entrance of the perimeter wall? A seemingly hardcore traditionalist like her accepted the Lethan? That was intriguing. Maybe the Lethan won her respect over a good fight, like she did with Kranak.

He would reveal his intentions to her after her explanation.
<”I seek improvement, just like you do, vod.”> Said the giant as he kept his gaze at the dancing fire of the hearth before him. <”Primarily about defending my mind, my thoughts against intrusion with the use of the Force by others, such as a Jetii, or a Dar'jetii such as yourself,”> Kranak explained to her as he spared a glance at her direction. <”I had experienced it once, a long time ago. It was during a joint exercise in Tarris with the Jetiise. One of the jetii masters on our side spoke into our minds,”> Saying he wasn’t so happy about the intrusion into his mind would be an understatement. <”She claimed to also have the ability to read one’s thoughts and memories. It certainly provided her a tactical advantage during the fight. Knowing the move of your opponent before they even set out to do it?”> The giant slowly nodded as he mused out loud on his last sentence. <”That’s a considerable advantage to have on a foe. I had spent some of my free time searching for answers as to how I could prevent that from happening again since then, but found nothing.”> Kranak sighed before he continued. <”Figured I should come to you for some… assistance.”> The bothered Supercommando said, unwillingly.

Admitting to a weakness wasn’t what bothered him, no. It was a good virtue to have, to be able to admit to one’s shortcomings, as that was the first step towards improvement of said weakness. Asking for help, though… was a different story for him. He didn’t like asking for help from others for anything, and when he did, he had to swallow his pride before doing it. He avoided that as best he could. He took pride in handling his issues on his own, but there were some times where he needed help from others, whether he liked to admit it or not. This was such an occasion.

UeJaBns.png

Last edited:
"Resa?" Zlova echoed unnecessarily in response to Kranak's question. "Kestri isn't a densely populated planet. I was scouting the mountains for a den of evil and depravity," all said completely straight-faced, "when I felt a disturbance nearby. Turns out this community's mystic -- a Kuryida -- uses the Force to commune with spirits. So I introduced myself, told the voodoo witch I thought it odd a Mandalorian would bother with such things, and so we fought." The sticks Zlova had mentioned earlier. "Surprisingly good fighter that one. Even when I fought dirty she managed to block. Something strange about that one." The Lethan looked off to the side with narrowed eyes with that statement.

Kranak's voice drew Zlova's golden gaze once more. She listened as the large Mandalorian warrior described what he was interested in and why. All of which made sense to the Twi'lek. Except for the part about how telepathy caused Kranak to freak out about mental intrusion. The mere mention of 'I could read your mind' upset him? Obviously he was a very private person. Something most Sith could appreciate, but Zlova wondered if there was something that important in his mind. Made a woman want to find out.

That's probably where the forced 'assistance' came from.

Zlova regarded the man for a long moment before she slowly started to circle the fire again. She stopped when she stood opposite of the tall warrior with one hand atop her hip. "You can't use the Force, so all those techniques," her free hand flicked off to one side to cast them into the void. "So we do this the hard way. What I need to know, Kranak, is why or what you're trying to hide. Is it a secret? A memory? Protect your personality from being tampered with? Or do you want to keep someone out entirely? The more you shield, the harder this is going to be. Make no mistake, you will not enjoy this."

She shifted her weight to her other foot and traded hands atop her hips. "And like any other skill this won't be learned in a day, or a week. You'll count yourself lucky if it takes a single month. We'll need to practice regularly. You'll need someone to try breaching your defenses, and to make sure what you practice isn't the saddest form of the technique possible. Think of this like teaching someone how to shoot." Zlova had seen Mandalorians training from a distance. Never too close, of course; they might try to use her in a live fire exercise and their fragile egos would be dealt a life-long blow when they failed to hit her.

A smile spread across the Twi'lek's face, "Still interested?"

Kranak Vizsla Kranak Vizsla

3oIWNfM.png

T R A I N I N G
O F
T H E
M I N D

Location: Kestri, Cin’ciri Mountain Range, Resa, Inside Village’s Largest Structure
Local Time: 20:22
Primary Objective: Learn Defense Against Dark Arts
Equipment: Loadout 1 + The Goran’s Stand (Greatsword’s Sheath lies over his left pistol holster on his Kama. Primary, Secondary and Backpack Left in his Barracks Locker)

tQcpQG0.png

The giant would have listened to the Lethan answer of his initial question silently while he continued to warm himself up by the hearth, before he went into explaining in detail as to what he needed help with.

“Resa? Kestri isn’t a densely populated planet. I was scouting the mountains for a den of evil and depravity, when I felt a disturbance nearby. Turns out this community’s mystic -- a Kuryida -- uses the Force to commune with the spirits. So I introduced myself, told the voodoo witch I thought it odd a Mandalorian would bother with such things, and so we fought. Surprisingly good fighter that one. Even when I fought dirty she managed to block. Something strange about that one.”

A Kuryida? It meant “Slayer” or “Murderer” in Mando’a. He had heard of these gtinarah -- shamans -- before. He hadn’t had the honor of meeting one in person, but he had heard some stories about them when he was just a Foundling. Said stories about the mystical Mandalorian Shamans had instilled awe and fear into his heart. The ability to speak with spirits was a rather uncanny ability to possess. Zlova’s mention of the Kuryida gave the giant goosebumps.

The Lethan fell silent for a long moment after the giant explained his full intent. She paced around the ring of fire, standing at the opposite side of the Supercommando on the stone ring surrounding the fire after listening to him. He could see her silhouette through the dancing, crackling flames as she spoke then. Kranak carefully listened to her without uttering a word as the cozy flames before him warmed up his hands.

”You can’t use the Force, so all those techniques,”
her free hand flicked off to one side to cast them into the void.
“So we do this the hard way. What I need to know is why or what you are trying to hide. Is it a secret? A memory? Protect your personality from being tampered with? Or do you want to keep someone out entirely? The more you shield, the harder this is going to be. Make no mistake, you will not enjoy this.”

He didn’t answer yet, as he reflected on what the Dar’jetii vod had said. He never knew the force could have been used to tamper someone’s personality. That bit of information was new to him. Would the training he would receive have protection against that, too? He knew not at the time, but he figured he would, some time soon enough.

The Red Devil continued enlightening the Supercommando about the difficult task ahead of him.

”And like any other skill, this won’t be learned in a day, or a week. You’ll count yourself lucky if it takes a single month. We’ll need to practice regularly. You’ll need someone to try breaching your defenses, and to make sure what you practice isn’t the saddest form of the technique possible. Think of this like teaching someone how to shoot.”

Just as he assumed, then. He knew it would take practice and time to learn this ability, that wasn’t anything new to him.

His gaze would shift from the flames of the hearth and at the pair of golden eyes at the mention of teaching one how to shoot a blaster. The theory of it was easy, but mastering it completely was the part that demanded a lot of time investment. Exercising and perfecting combat stances, the ability to move fluently with a rifle in one's hands and not just in open terrain but in urban environments as well, exercising terrain negotiation, live fire drills, practicing and perfecting reload methods…

The list went on. In the end it was all worth the trouble. The giant was sure whatever the technique Zlova would teach him had also similar important nuances.

The Lethan’s dark red lips formed a smile as she inquired at Kranak.

”Still interested?”

He was. No matter how time consuming or painful the teaching would be, this was an opportunity he could not waste. He would be doing his best to learn her teachings and improve himself. The giant would answer her after a short moment of silence following her inquiry.

<”Yes,”> The giant answered eagerly. His would be the hardest one, if what she said about shielding more made things harder. <”I would like to have the ability to keep someone out of my mind entirely, vod.”> the Supercommando clarified as he casually rested his left hand over the pommel of the greatsword, sheathed over his left pistol holster on his long, black kama; his free arm on his side. He fully understood the Sith Lord would be breaching into his mind, into his memories and would take a gander at them during the training.

As for what she said earlier, no, he didn’t have anything to hide. Just a bunch of troubling memories and experiences he didn’t want to talk about with anyone; things he kept to himself and carried their burden on his broad shoulders on his own. But perhaps that would change today and in the days, weeks ahead of them as the training went on. Zlova was a curious creature after all. He wouldn’t be surprised if she used his regrets, failures, fears and his wrath against him the next time they sparred, or during this training. He would have his limits, things he wouldn’t be talking about willingly, but he would try to indulge her. She had earned that as much, she wasn’t exactly a stranger anymore, seeing as how she was accepted more and more by the Mando’ade, slowly perhaps, but surely. Hell, maybe talking about them would prove to be beneficial, perhaps.

As beneficial as it could get with a vod that’s a Sith Lord at heart, that is.

UeJaBns.png

Kranak had just accepted an insanely risky proposition. Zlova had admitted (or claimed) to being a Sith Lord; purportedly (if you believed her) a former Sith Lord in that she no longer answered to the collapsed Sith Empire or the renewed collective of Sith across the galaxy. Sith just the same. One that never claimed nor conducted their self in a manner befitting someone that renounced their ways or beliefs. Yet to train in this art as someone bereft of the Force they would be subject to such a person intruding into their thoughts, perhaps into the deep recesses of their mind or soul. It was the thing of nightmares to someone abducted by one of her kind.

That Kranak accepted this proposal said one of two things about him: he trusted Zlova implicitly, or he was a fool. Zlova had witnessed the man's conduct elsewhere and knew his abilities as a warrior, so she didn't take him for a fool. It was strange, then, to have earned a second man's trust. Not a position she ever thought to find herself given the cut-throat nature of the galaxy.

"Very well." Zlova gesture to the ground before the fire. "Sit." Slowly, the Twi'lek lowered herself back to the ground with the fire between the two of them. Her golden eyes peered through the fanned flames across at the evening's subject. "What you should know is that this skill you will learn must be learned so you are always using it without even realizing you're doing it. It must become a natural reflex or state of being to you. If you rely on being conscious and knowing the enemy is rallying against you, you might as well forego this training and accept your fate." Sure, activating it in the middle of an attack was better than nothing, but Zlova wasn't here for half measures. Kranak committed to the full package in her mind, and she expected in his as well.

"I will instruct you on how to form this defense within your mind. Then I will test it, and I will continue to test it until you stop me," Zlova explained so the man understood the framework they would follow together. "Before we begin, do you have any questions, doubts, or matters you wish for me to avoid?"

Best to get the questions out of the way now so they could focus on the training. At least until the shock and rage started then there'd be a different array of questions and accusations. More importantly, Zlova just wanted to know if Kranak would admit to anything he didn't want to confront or for her to know. The giant was right, of course; a Sith sought to find someone's deepest, darkest truth or fear in order to use it against them. In this case, it should be to force Kranak to focus on accomplishing what they sought to accomplish. Motivation. And once a thing was known it could not be un-known, which meant he would need to finish the training or the Twi'lek would hound him with the secret knowledge until he relented. It was how the Sith taught others -- mercilessly and with no safety nets.

3oIWNfM.png

T R A I N I N G
O F
T H E
M I N D

Location: Kestri, Cin’ciri Mountain Range, Resa, Inside Village’s Largest Structure
Local Time: 20:24

tQcpQG0.png

”Very well. Sit”

Following through with her command, the giant sat by the fire cross-legged on the ground at the same time with the Lethan. The giant could still see her silhouette through the dancing flames between them. The Dar’jetii vod then continued informing him of what he could expect about the training, about the arduous process ahead of the giant Ori’ramikad.

”What you should know is that this skill you will learn must be learned so you are always using it without even realizing you’re doing it. It must become a natural reflex or state of being to you. If you rely on being conscious and knowing the enemy is rallying against you, you might as well forego this training and accept your fate.”

Kranak’s buy’ce tilted to his left upon hearing how this skill was required to learn. It sounded very similar in theory with a lot of things he was taught, both during his Bajur and training in the Supercommando School of the old Union. Every single combat tactic and live fire drills, fighting techniques, takedowns, maneuvers and combat protocols he knew were ingrained into him and cadets like him to a point where they simply reacted to their opposition in a subconscious manner, without thinking. Of course there were times where they were proactive with their movements and the way they fought, but more often than not, it was a subconscious response to the actions of their enemies.

”I will instruct you on how to form this defense within your mind. Then I will test it, and I will continue to test it until you stop me. Before we begin, do you have any questions, doubts or matters you wish for me to avoid?”

The giant took his time before answering. He had nothing to hide, just things he kept to himself, choosing not to talk to anybody about them. Though he was surprised with the Lethan. He didn’t expect her to be this... thoughtful. He spoke after a moment of pause. <”No questions and doubts. No matters I wish you to avoid, but I have a simple request of you,”> Kranak replied as he leaned a little closer to the fire, his glowing white visor looking at the pair of golden eyes, glowing faintly beyond the fire. <”You might see things… Things that I never talked with anyone before,”> The Ori’ramikad let out a deep sigh. <”All I ask of you is to… keep those matters between the two of us.”>

He was hesitant while he spoke. He spoke slowly, sometimes doubting himself. Would this be worth the trouble? Worth revealing his unpleasant memories with her, a Sith Lord? Would she respect his request and talk to no one about it? Or would she betray his trust and gossip to others? His gaze dropped from the pair of golden eyes to the dancing flames as he thought of the possibilities. But there was only one way to find out.

The giant would raise his gaze towards the Lethan once again, as he sat there cross-legged on the ground by the fire, waiting for her to start teaching him the theory of this technique in silence, patiently.

UeJaBns.png

Last edited:
"I will tell no one," Zlova replied sternly in response without the smallest smile. For whatever a Sith Lord's word was worth to Kranak. Was it because she cared about his personal rights, or because in the grand scheme of things betraying Kranak's trust in this matter would accomplish not of long-term value? Was it because Zlova had a heart, or simple arithmetic of a Sith Lord? Unfortunately for her student, the truth would remain a mystery for the foreseeable future.

"Gaze into the fire," the Twi'lek intoned as the man lifted his eyes to her once more. "Watch how the flame sways and flows from side to side. Feel the heat that radiates from its endless motion. See how the formless takes shape; it came from nothing and will return to nothing."

Zlova's golden eyes peered through those flames and at Kranak as she had him fix his attention and thoughts on the fire itself.

"There are many ways to defend yourself from intrusion. One, is to become the flame. To bend out of the way of a hand thrust toward it. To never be where the enemy thinks you to be. To act purely on instant, or to think of one thing while meaning another -- to encode your memories in a manner only you can decipher. This is difficult method to master, and it has a great weakness. If the enemy gets you to focus on any one thing or any one thought, they can seize upon it as one might the log from whence the flame sprouts." Which Zlova had done in getting Kranak to focus on the flame before him.

The Sith reached into the man's mind to uncover a memory. Something noteworthy. But only one or a few if they came in a torrent. There was no need to reveal all his secrets or hidden knowledge at once. Better she have a way to validate her intrusion was successful as they move through the many ways of intrusion and defense. She would describe them all and gauge Kranak's interest or ability in each.

The First Defense:
Do Not Be Where The Enemy Thinks You Are

3oIWNfM.png

T R A I N I N G
O F
T H E
M I N D

Local Time: 20:26
Equipment: Loadout 1 + Goran’s Stand (Greatsword’s Sheath lies over his left pistol holster on his Kama. Primary, Secondary and Backpack Left in his Barracks Locker)

tQcpQG0.png

”I will tell no one,”

There wasn’t even the slightest hint of a smile on her face. She was either telling him the truth, or was a very good liar. Producing an educated guess, seeing as she was a Sith Lord, it was safe to assume she was both, the giant thought. But the giant gave a curt nod in response regardless, expressing his silent thanks. If she would reveal his unpleasant experiences to others then, well, he would find a way to deal with it. He’d cross that bridge when he got there.

”Gaze into the fire,”
the Twi’lek intoned as the man lifted his eyes to her once more.
“Watch how the flame sways and flows from side to side. Feel the heat that radiates from tis endless motion. See how the formless takes shape; it came from nothing and will return to nothing.”

The giant obeyed her command without a word or hesitation. The hot flames before him danced, flowing freely. The heat radiating from it warmed him up. He assumed he could see where she was going with this, the formless taking shape, coming from nothingness and returning to nothingness. He chilled softly at the thought of such existence if one could call it that.

Zlova’s golden eyes peered through those flames and at Kranak as she had him fix his attention and thoughts on the fire itself.

“There are many ways to defend yourself from intrusion. One, is to become the flame. To bend out the way of a hand thrust toward it. To never be where the enemy thinks you to be. To act purely on instant, or to think of one thing while meaning another -- to encode your memories in a manner only you can decipher. This is difficult method to master, and it has a great weakness. If the enemy gets you to focus on any one thing or any one thought, they can seize upon it as one might the log from whence the flame sprouts.”

With her explanation and teaching, he understood how it worked. Yet again, it was similar to acting reactively in a combat situation. There were times the Mandalorians acted proactively, but more often than not, it was their years upon years of training and exercise that just, took over.

But he soon realized what she did after a short pause following her words. She had him do exactly what she said not to do. The Red Devil had him focus on one thing, the dancing flames before him.

The giant slowly recoiled back, as he winced from the sudden, sharp pain in his mind. She was entering his mind! His chest rose and fell more rapidly, his previously calmer state was now gone. His vision blurred as she delved deeper into his mind, reaching out for a memory from long ago.

tQcpQG0.png

<”Keep talking to me! Come on Braz, keep talking to me!”> Young Kranak shouted as his hands were deep inside Braz’ wounded right thigh. Karking Graug! A shrapnel from an artillery shell had nicked his femoral artery and tore a small chunk of his flesh. His armor was all banged up from the explosion. He had a bunch of other hemorrhages all over his body too, but the biggest issue in his hands was the nicked artery. Kranak had only reached him a minute ago, he was in this state for over two minutes. He was trying to pinch off the nicked artery. He knew the medical procedure, but the blood. There was so much of it! He could not see the artery. ”I-It’s cold, vod…” No, no no, that was not good. He was about to enter hypovolemic shock! He had to pinch off this artery now, and fast!

The Junior Medic looked away from the wounded warrior and shot a gaze over his right shoulder
<”Thror, Vragr! Get over heeere!”> Kranak then swiftly gazed back at Braz. <”It’s gonna be okay, it’s gonna be okay Braz. Just talk to me. Keep talking! Tell me about your girl back home. You never told me her name.”> He mumbled frantically as he tried to feel the artery. Kark damn it, where is it!? The wounded warriors shaking lips opened to say something, but the only thing the giant heard was an incomprehensible, soft mumble at first.<”We’re…
we’re expecting a boy..”> His hoarse voice was quieter than a whisper now, barely audiable.

Hurried footsteps ran from his rear. The giant shot a swift glance over his right shoulder. It was Thror and Vragr. The two unslung their blaster rifles and threw them to the ground as they smoothly slid to his either side.
<”Warm him up! Warm him up!”> he shouted as he looked back at Braz. The wounded Mandalorian’s de-icing system in his armor was not working, presumably broken from the artillery shell’s overpressure. His beskar’gam and the kinetic gel he used protected him from any internal organ injuries resulting from said overpressure, but he assumed he would have broken bones all over his body, still.

<”You’re gonna be okay, vod! Hang in there!”> Thror said as he gently lifted Braz’ head and placed it on his lap. He held him tightly by his right shoulder. Vragr leaned backwards slightly, his back straight. Hastily, he removed his long Kama from his warbelt and threw it over Braz in hopes of warming him up with it. He grasped the wounded warrior’s left hand as he scooched closer.

<Why did I forget the damn blanket! Karking dikut!> The giant shouted and cursed at himself silently as he continued his attempt to find the artery. It had to be somewhere in there! Seconds passed in silence. In silence for the junior medic, that is. He didn’t hear Vargr calling out to him as Kranak was focused on stopping the massive hemorrhage. <”Kranak. Kranak… Kranak!”>

The young Mandalorian recoiled slightly as he gave a quick glance at Vargr to his right.
<”What, what! Just keep him warm while-”> Just as he was going to resume his attempt at finding the source of the hemorrhage, Vargr shouted.

<”He’s gone! Look!”> Kranak’s eyes widened in terror at what Vargr said. His visor lifted up from the wound and at Braz’ face. His skin had gone pale as snow. His eyes appeared lifeless. He was no longer breathing. <”No…”> Young Kranak mumbled in disbelief. <”No. No, no, no!”> The giant removed his hands from Braz’ thigh and threw off Vargr’s kama covering his chestplate. He ripped off the battered durasteel chestplate off Braz and ripped the flightsuit underneath, revealing his bare chest. In haste, he reached for an adrenaline shot from his medkit and stuck it right where his heart would be after removing the safety cap over the firing mechanism. He administered the stimulant with the firm press of the red, plastoid button.

He tossed the single use autoinjector away afterward. The stimulant had no effect.
<Haarchak! No!> Swiftly, he scooched closer in order to begin resuscitation. He placed his bloody hands with one on top of the other over his chest, right where his heart would be, and began pushing hard and fast in a rhythm. <”Come on! Come on!”> There was desperation and regret in the young medic’s shrilling voice.

<”Kranak, he’s-”>

<”NO!”> Kranak shouted loudly in protest as he continued to push hard and fast at his chest. The unresponsive body of Braz quaked with every push from Kranak, but to no avail. Vargr stood up on his feet in response and pulled on Kranak’s right shoulder. The young medic looked up, his visor meeting Vargr’s. <”We have to go! Pull yourself back together, Commando!”>

<”But-”>

<”There’s nothing else you can do! Come on! We can’t stay here any longer!”> Vargr’s grasp loosened as he let go of the junior medic. Thror and Kranak remained by Braz’ body in silence for a few moments as Vargr reached for his rifle from the ground.

The junior medic’s chest rose and fell rapidly as he could not break away his gaze off of Braz’ face.

He had failed to save a good man. Braz had died on his watch.

UeJaBns.png

Zlova sat there silently until the memory played out. What she had seen was understood and the heart-felt emotions Kranak endured had been felt, and yet there was no moisture in the Twi'lek's eyes, nor any twisting of her lips, nor furrowing of the brow. A red statue with a burning, golden gaze stared lidlessly upon the Mandalorian in that large, circular chamber. Humans had a saying -- the death of a few was a tragedy, the death of a million a statistic. Sith also had a saying -- who cares? Even those Sith some would dare say had a 'heart' learned to compartmentalize or reign in their emotions. At least any with a Dark Lord as their Master; you would not be surprised to learn how few Lords enjoyed overly emotional Apprentices.

Only a second after it had ended, the Lethan began to speak again, "Another defense is to not move as the flame, but become the flame. Grow. Consume. You'll find this is often used by many Sith; usually not on purpose, but in becoming so utterly filled with rage it buries all other thought or emotion from all but the most well-trained mentalist. This one is easy to learn, but still difficult to master. You know how enraged Marauders get; how many vod could trust a leader that succumbs to their emotions so easily? If it's respect you've seen in the ranks of the Sith, you're gravely mistaken. Knowing how to turn it on and off is crucial and why mastery is so difficult."

"One more thing," Zlova paused to smile briefly, "this technique doesn't work with generalized emotions. If you try fueling your mental defense with a mere idea of anger you might as well not bother. It needs to be personal. It needs to be visceral. A memory or thought that boils the blood and sears the soul."

Three seconds passed with the Twi'lek on the other side of the fire, her eyes never leaving Kranak's face for an instant. "Mandalore deserved to burn." Then and there she stabbed into Kranak's mind. Not an iota of hesitation or delay. There when the rage might be brightest, though Zlova doubted it would be nearly enough to stop her. Losing a planet was hard. It was a symbol of who you were as a people. But it was just that -- a symbol. It was no cornerstone of a person's existence. Now, if she'd said Braz enjoyed being sexually intimate with Sith that would probably have mounted a good mental defense, and likely had Kranak leaping through the fire at her. They'd soon find out whether he did as much over Mandalore in the heat of the moment.

The Second Defense: Become The Burning Man; Become The Pyre

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom