Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Crash Landing

Seva blinked in disbelief when Alicio said he'd 'rested,' and she canted her head to the side. But then the truth came out. Ah, so he hadn't slept a wink. Well, she could hardly blame him… but still. As she opened her mouth to respond, she found Alicio's back already to her as he started the trek back down the mountain.

Seva trudged after him.

"You know," she started, hollering slightly. "We won't last long if we're not rested."

Seva was an only child, no siblings to boss. However, she did have a naturally… bossy way about her. As she walked, being careful not to slip, she put on her Commenori Noblewoman's mask – one of confident indifference. It was a coping mechanism, one she sorely needed at the moment lest she risk breaking down completely.

"Perhaps we ought to sleep in shifts,"
Seva added, as she caught up to Alicio. "I could keep watch next time if you don't mind me using your saber again."

"You know, we won't last long if we're not rested."

Alicio sighed a bit. "I do know," he conceded, although knowledge of that fact and application of said knowledge were two very different things.

Noticing her passive, yet sure face, Alicio expressed a frown, but didn't comment on it, pausing for her to join him. "That's a good idea," Alicio said, even as he knew that meant he most likely couldn't get away with staying up again.

"It's not that I was scared, I just... get anxious, with nothing to do. I couldn't have slept, even if I tried."

Alicio felt a hand begin to shake, and clasped it with his other. Seva was staying so strong. He had to, as well.

The pair made it down to the beach in short order, and Alicio began poking around the escape pod. The light of the morning revealed it had been crunched like an aluminum can as it hit the sand, it's sides folding in on each other. The only reason they had survived was because of that Force shield.

Finally, Alicio seemed to find what he was looking for inside the pod. But he didn't look particularly happy as he came back out. In fact, he looked downright morbid. "The tracking beacon is completely fried. It probably happened while the pod was still in hyperspace."

Alicio tried not to sound defeated, but his body language screamed it. That meant no one knew where they were. There was no way for them to find out. And worst of all, it meant that help might think the pod was destroyed. That they were dead, and there was no point in looking for them.

- Seva Geroux Seva Geroux -

Seva found herself fixing Alicio in a somewhat puzzled sidelong glance when he mentioned his anxiety. She nodded, though she couldn't say she really understood. The Commenori left it at that, content for now that her opinion had been made.

The beach was far more welcoming this morning. As Alicio started to examine the broken pod, Seva took a moment to look around. Sand and surf seemed to stretch on endlessly, lining the horizon. As she scanned the empty sky, a deep sigh escaped. There wasn't a ship in sight. If there weren't any ships, then there probably wasn't a spaceport nearby, either.

Drat.

Turning, she looked back towards the way they'd come, tracing the route with her eyes. There were more cavernous areas that she supposed would be quite like their current accommodations. Jungle foliage was thick, where it poked out between the mountains. Seva craned her neck to see Alicio as he stepped back out of the pod. And when she saw the look on his face, she ran up to meet him.

"So…"
Seva said, waiting for him to say the worst. But when the words didn't come, she stammered, "t-they won't find us. Will they?"

She sat down in the sand, right where she was.

More like, her legs felt like simply giving up.

"How?" Seva said, her voice trembling. "How could this happen?" But she didn't sound frightened, she sounded irritated. The façade was cracking, and she came close to screaming a curse word… but she locked it behind pursed lips. Instead, she threw yet another question at Alicio. "Is there nothing salvageable in the pod?"

"So… t-they won't find us. Will they?"

Alicio shook his head wordlessly.

He didn't know for sure. But it wasn't looking good.

He sat down just as Seva did, planting himself down at the lip of the escape pod. He was staring down at his hands, which were both shaking now, despite having them firmly grasped together.

"I don't..." Alicio swallowed hard. "I don't know... anything about mechanics. But everything looked pretty toasted. There was only the one survival kit. I'm..." Another pause. "It's useless."

It was his turn to look at her with a question. Looking for comfort. "What do we do?"

Seva stared out at the churning waves for a long moment. If their pod was well and truly useless, what could they do? She swallowed hard. This changed everything. Every moment leading up until now seemed… distant, inconsequential. How many times had she fretted about her clothing? Now, she had next to no clothing. She'd criticized the food she received in five-star restaurants, and now she had nothing but a bit of ration bar.

"There's very little we can do," Seva said, her tone a bit bitter.

And then her thoughts shifted back to Bespin and what awaited her there.

"You know, I wasn't really going to Bespin for business." Seva found the words tumbling out. "I was going to finalize details of my engagement to the son of a gas baron." Her shoulders squared, her posture still unforgivably formal. "I don't know whether this is a blessing or a curse."

Seva suddenly zipped her lips closed and bit the inside of her cheek. She hadn't quite meant to share, and then had overshared. Well, she supposed it mattered very little now. After all, it seemed the two of them would have plenty of time to get better acquainted.

"There's very little we can do."

Alicio had been fighting to stay optimistic. Keeping his hands moving, to still the trembling in his fingers. Trying to find things to busy his mind with, so he didn't have to face the truth of their situation. But he was faced with it in that moment. The futility of it all.

He fell into his own mind, closing his eyes and cradling his face with his hands.

But he peeked through his fingers as Seva spoke. His subtle despair was replaced by curiosity.

Talking was something he could do.

"'A blessing or a curse'?" Alicio rested his chin on the bridge of his hands, interest coloring his face, where it had blanched before. "You're getting an arranged marriage, aren't you?"

"Was it... by choice?"

Last edited:
She fixed Alicio in a sidelong glance, watching out of the corner of her eyes as he peeked at her through his fingers. Despair later. If her current predicament served to distract them, perhaps she could risk being impolite and share even more. Well, perhaps, this was how most people had normal conversations. The thought struck her as odd. Her parents had always discouraged talking about personal issues… especially feelings, sentiments that had been instilled in her from a young age.

"Yes," Seva confirmed, nodding slightly.

Choice? The noblewoman actually laughed.

"I'm the only child of the family, I doubt very much I have a choice in the matter," she said. "As far as my parents are concerned, it's my duty." She wasn't expected to hold a job, yet she had no way to ensure the future of the family -- only that the family line would continue. Seva heaved a sigh. "I don't mean it to sound as though I'm completely opposed." She glanced down idly at her nails, then folded her hands neatly in her lap.

"But it's complicated. I think you – of all people – might know what's expected of a young woman in my position," Seva's expression softened slightly. It was rather nice to have someone to talk to, for once. "Married life carries certain expectations. And none of them include running around as a Jedi."

"Do you face similiar... expectations from your family?"

In that moment, for all Alicio cared, they could have been talking on the plane. The hopelessness of their situation was forgotten momentarily, as the Count pondered the most distant of problems.

"I, um... I do understand." Alicio was still as a statue, as he thought of a response. "We grow up being taught that we have a duty to our families. I still think that, I would do nearly anything for House Organa. But that doesn't mean they own us."

"I have slightly different expectations. My House wouldn't force me to do anything I was against, but... I feel the pressure, sometimes."
He interlocked his fingers together, pondering something hidden behind his overcast eyes. "I'm the last living male Organa. No fathers, no grandfathers, no uncles, no brothers. I try not to think about it, but if I die, or I don't... you know, continue the legacy, the family name dies with me." A family name that has existed for tens of thousands of years, and that had survived the decimation of their homeworld. A name that may have been in jeopardy, now that he was trapped on an island.

"So... I get it. I understand the obligation to help. But... I think you should get a say in the matter."

Seva arched a brow and listened intently to her fellow noble. So, he did indeed understand. He, too, had considerable weight upon his shoulders – even more so. The future of his family line was at stake as well, but the name went with it. Golly, how her father had wanted a son to pass along the Geroux family name. Truly, she didn't envy Alicio's position, either.

"I suppose I should," she said, nodding. "Perhaps… things will be different if – when – we make it back."

Her lips were pressed together into a line, which she couldn't quite force into a smile. However, she did offer him an appreciative glance. This newfound camaraderie was nice.

"Speaking of which, we probably can't put it off much longer. If we are to make it back… we've got to find a way to survive here." Seva sighed. "We'll need food and more water, certainly." Her eyes flickered towards the cave. "Our shelter seems… adequate for now," she noted aloud. "Do you think we ought to explore?"

"Perhaps… things will be different if – when – we make it back."

Alicio caught Seva's eyes, taking a measure of her, before nodding, determined. "When," he agreed, standing up and brushing stray sand off his clothes. Hope wasn't something given, nor was it circumstantial.

Hope is a choice you make.

At Seva's idea to explore, Alicio nodded. "I had plenty of time to think about that last night. Water is most important. We could... boil seawater to get the salt out, but it'd be easier if we found a river or something." Food would come later. On that front, Alicio had no idea what to do.

He looked around at their surroundings. Beach, forest, rocky hills, and open water greeted him wherever he looked. Alicio looked towards the wooded area, caressing his chin as he thought. "Well, trees need water. We could start there."

When.

With a single word, the two castaways had cemented their fate. Seva got to her feet as well and followed suit brushing off the sand. She nodded, aligning her focus with his – water. "Very well," she said, nodding. "We'll go that way, then."

As they left the beach behind, Seva felt her confidence waver.

The surf was wide open, sand and water, but bushes and trees were another story. Things could be living in the woods. Nearing the tree line, Seva felt as though the branches reached for her and every leaf dipped down to get in her way. Following along, she held her arms out to keep the brush out of her face. There were no trails blazed through here, at least nothing made for walking.

"Blasted trees," Seva muttered under her breath.

However, if these blasted trees lead them to drinkable water… then she'd be content enough with them. Until then, she'd continue to silently curse them. "I never understood people that like hiking--" Seva said, her haughty tone suddenly turned into a high-pitched shriek. Something wet and slimy had just touched her ankle.

Seva spun 'round to see a snake-like branch. She placed a hand on her chest and heaved a breath. "Just a branch," she confirmed.

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

Alicio loved strolling through the natural trails of Alderaan. Walking was one of the few ways he could clear his mind, in those rare occasions he was entirely free from work.

But he decidedly hated walking through these woods. Each step was an adventure, and not in the fun way. He was constantly worried about stepping into a mud pile, or rolling his ankle on a root. Not to mention the greenery they had to push through.

He was about to respond to Seva, when she let out a scream that made his heart jump. Without thinking, the Alderaanian whipped around, his arm sticking out protectively in front of her, before they both realized the danger was imagined. Alicio let out a quick puff of air, smiling out of relief. "We should keep an eye on it. Just in case."

"I like hiking,"
Alicio said, some humor in his tone as he continued. "The trails around Sanctuary City are a dream. But... this sucks. I agree."

The Count sighed. "I must say, exploring is not as fun as they make it out to be in the novels."

Seva felt more than a bit foolish. Alicio had spun 'round to protect her from what? A branch. She narrowed her eyes slightly when he jested about keeping an eye on it... just in case. The noblewoman let out a huff, but her expression warmed. She might not have admitted it, but she did appreciate the gesture.

"Ah, so you're one of those people," Seva said, but she did crack a small smile.

When he mentioned novels, she arched an eyebrow. As they continued on, Seva's eyes flickered back and forth between the ground and Alicio. She didn't want to get lost, after all. Indeed she could feel his presence now in the force, but she hadn't fully learned to trust that feeling alone yet. "What sort of novels do you read?" she asked, genuinely curious.

"I certainly don't read anything about exploring. But I do admit that this sort of thing," Seva gestured vaguely to their wild surroundings. "Is better suited for fiction."

As she looked around, it felt as though the canopy was closing in. Quite a lot of their sunny day seemed to be held at bay by the leaves above. A tree with a large knot, and that tangled branch... she made a mental note. This place didn't come with a map, and she really didn't want to spend the day turning circles in the forest.

Alicio cracked a grin back. "Yeah. One of those people."

As they continued along, Alicio kept his eyes ahead, and at the ground in front of them. He supposed the worse-case scenario involved them falling into a hole and starving to death. "Well, I was referencing adventure books, but usually I read romance." He shrugged, trying not to show his embarrassment. "I don't know, I just like happy endings."

The more unrealistic, the more sappy, the better. It was an escape from how grim the galaxy could seem.

Squelch.

Alicio looked down, noticing his boot had sunk a few inches into a mud puddle. "Oh. Mud," he commented dumbly.

Suddenly, Alicio's eyes lit up. "Oh! Oh! Mud!"

Well, Seva couldn't really fault him for reading romance novels. She did, too. Though, she wasn't certain she read them for the happy endings. In fact, sometimes, she wished things turned out differently for the main characters. But that was probably a discussion for book club. Sigh.

She stopped when Alicio said the word 'mud.'

Yes, mud normally was quite a bad thing. It was the enemy of fine dresses and fancy shoes, so it was to be avoided at all costs. Seva frowned. And she spared a glance down at her shoes. Then, Alicio exclaimed.

"Ah," Seva said, blinking. "Does that mean we're getting closer?"

She continued on, trying not to lose her shoes in the wet mud. The brush was still quite thick, but if she listened closely – she could swear there was the sound of rushing water. "Do you hear that?" she asked, just to make sure she wasn't imagining it. Couldn't being stranded do that to a person? Drive them mad?

"Mud means there's water nearby, yes." He smiled. "I think."

As the two of them stopped their forward march to take in their surroundings, Seva pointed out a sound in the background. Alicio took a moment to listen, staring out into the forest. "I... I hear it too." He began walking again, travelling towards the noise.

It was a short walk before the brush cover finally broke, revealing the sound's source: a small river, flowing quickly through the forest down to the ocean. Kneeling down at the bank, Alicio dipped a tentative finger into the stream, tasting it. "It isn't salty," the Count said, relieved. "And I think there's some rule that flowing water is usually safe to drink. Right?"

He'd heard it once before, although he wasn't sure from exactly where.

Well, she was certainly glad to have confirmation that Alicio heard the rushing water, too. She followed him, steps a bit more urgent than before now. With the possibility of fresh water, the little branches that she went through were slightly less bothersome. As they stepped out of the brush and onto the bank of a small river, Seva couldn't help but smile.

Yes, even though her shoes and ankles were now muddy.

She approached the water's edge and knelt. Her eyes shifted to the side to see Alicio testing the water. "Usually," she echoed. Though, she didn't really know – she'd take his word for it. "It's a far better bet than sea water, we know that." Seva shrugged.

Lady Seva Geroux only sipped from the freshest water in the galaxy – bottled, of course. But now, the noblewoman was on the verge of ruin anyway, and it wasn't worth dying thirsty. With that, she dipped her hand into the cool water and drew up a small sip. "Well, that's water sorted out," Seva said, breathing a sigh of relief. "Perhaps we ought to see if there's anything we can salvage from the pod to hold water?" They'd have something to keep them busy this afternoon at least.

Alicio also knelt down on the muddy riverbank, running his hand under the flowing water, simply enjoying the feel of it on his hands, before cupping it and slaking his thirst. "Water, check," he said, displaying a bit of mock cheer. "I might have seen some metal boxes in there. I don't think they were meant to hold water, but we can try it anyways."

With another task set before him, Alicio was able to ward off the hopelessness. At least, for now.

Alicio-Divider.png

That night, the fire was easier to make.

Cutting down trees was laughably easy with a lightsaber, even easier than pulling up roots from the cave. The logs, chopped into neat wedges, also lit better, casting their little burrow in dancing orange and yellow light.

Alicio stood off to the side, hovering near their new water supply: a container salvaged from the crashed pod, filled with riverwater. The Count had his hand outstretched over the box, eyes closed, seeming to concentrate hard with pursed lips. The Force pressed in around his fingertips, with no obvious effect.

It didn't help that his stomach was grumbling.

Seva sat by the fire again, hugging her legs close to her chest. She looked at the flames, but without really focusing on them – they were a blur of yellows and oranges. Her mind was elsewhere.

Of course, by now the reality of their situation had set in. No one was coming to save them. Her parents would be told that she was presumed dead, and they'd hold a lovely service in her honor. She liked to imagine that there'd be quiet a lot of people in attendance, some of them weeping for her. There'd be fragrant flowers, all of her favorites. Somber hues, done with sophistication.

What would happen after that? Her betrothed would move on without her. He'd marry some other woman, and probably be happy, too. It made her feel bitter, even though she knew it shouldn't. Seva heaved an angry sigh, which she swore made the fire's flames billow.

"What are you up to?" she said, glancing to see Alicio with his hand hovering over their box of water. She needed something to distract her from her thoughts. And, though she wouldn't admit it, she was starving. "What say we share this ration bar?"

He hadn't even had a nibble of it yet, while she had. "Tomorrow, perhaps we ought to return to the beach and see what we can find for food. In some places, seafood is a delicacy – perhaps we'll be fine dining."

Finally, after what seemed like a great effort, Alicio opened his eyes, his lips pursed as he turned towards the approaching Seva. "A trick I picked up on Chaldea," he said simply, although it seemed the 'trick' wasn't quite going his way.

At her mention of sharing the bar, Alicio was tempted to refuse it. Humans could usually go a few weeks without food, and he'd rather Seva be full. But their previous conversation about rest made him pause. "Sure," he finally said, nodding. "Halfsies." He took the section of the ration bar offered to him, and politely snapped off the edge with his teeth, trying to ignore the bland flavor. "Fishing does seem like a good option. And if that doesn't work, I'm sure we can find some bugs in the woods to munch on."

He chuckled under his breath, before continuing his previous thought.

"I'm trying to purify the water. A friend showed me how to us the Force to detoxify poison. You know, just in case it isn't as clean as we assumed. But it's... harder than I thought it would be."

He stretched out his hand again, feeling an unseen weight just beyond his fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom