Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Coruscant Charity Ball

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

OUTFIT: x
TAG: Valery Noble Valery Noble

geshb.png

"… how anxiously I yearned for those I had forsaken…"

A phrase, so beautiful, yet agonizing. Very, very harrowing, it resembles an eulogy. And it is supposed to, for what is charity if not to pay respect to the living, breathing soul that permeate the galaxy. Just like a funeral is paying respect to the dead, the soul that paved their way so that the beacon of light will never fade away. At least that's the universal implication of it. I have a lifetime worth of feelings, pains, and experiences tied to funerals. Two funerals, to be exact. One that pulls me closer, higher. Another that burnt it all down. One that convinced me that I knew everything, another that left me feeble, dubious, lost. One that shifted my conviction from an ideal to a person, another that shattered it completely.

Two years. Two years which I had been forced to rejuvenate, restart everything. Almost everything. Back to the place I grew up in, the institutions that groomed me. Who knows, that the fire that burns is also the one that cleanses. From the flame, emerges a new soul. Clean and true and refreshing. Proud and pure. Almost. Yet it doesn't erase the feelings, the remnants of the past. Oh, how anxiously I yearned for those I had forsaken.
"Once again, please give your applause to Madame Sabine for the beautiful opening speech…"

I was not planning to come to this charity ball. It's two weeks after I finished my SIA Diplomatic Services program, and two weeks before my first assignment. I was supposed to leave Coruscant for a sunny Naboo holiday right after my graduation, to meet with some friends from the old days. Yet situations made them cancel, and here I am, no date, no anything. It's not that big of a charity ball. I ran across some people I knew from before my departure to the Outer Rim years ago, and a very few people I recognize as the upper-crust of Deep Core society. Seven years really do make a huge difference. I decided to grab a drink first before I have to mingle. It's my holiday, I'm not going to socialize for my professional acumen. No, the only thing I want is to find fun and delightful people, and enjoy this night. So I went straight to the bar and made an order, while keep scanning for interesting individuals.
"I'd have one glass of Coruscant Blush, please."

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png
Outfit: Dress
Tag: Trug Zigash Trug Zigash

Valery clapped along with the audience, but the speech had barely registered at all. Ever since she was rescued from captivity and being relieved of that torture, she had tried her best to move on. To focus on getting back in shape for Jedi duty, but every step forward she tried to take was met with another unexpected obstacle. From lingering trauma to strange emotional responses to certain triggers that she didn't know how to tame.

It's for that reason, that she still hadn't returned to the Jedi Temple and resumed her duties.

Instead, Valery was spending time alone or with those closest to her, hoping to recover by slowly building up mental and physical strength again. But during this process, she also realized that she needed to get out and be among others again. She had to get used to the feeling of crowds, as well as eerie silences. So when an invitation came for a charity ball, she decided to accept it, and she decided to attend it alone.

Dressed up and with her hair and make-up done, the Sword of the Jedi was not so easily recognized. She held no lightsaber and wasn't moving around geared up the way she was shown on so many posters throughout the Alliance. Tonight, she wanted to be here as Valery Noble, and not as Jedi Master Noble.

That plan started at the bar.

"Alderaanian red, please," Valery asked the bartender with a kind smile. Soon enough, she was presented her drink, and elegantly curled her fingers around the glass before raising it to her lips for a small sip. Fiery eyes then scanned the room, taking note of people drinking, socializing and dancing together. For now, she was content watching from afar.

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

I looked around the party from the bar seat and was absorbed by the chatter around. Business partners speculating the market, good friends drinking and laughing in jests, couples dancing to romantic tunes. Social events like these are always nice to attend. You can see the joy on people's faces. It's the one time they can let loose, leaving all their problems at home. Or they are just putting on a façade. Either way, it's the optics that matters. It's the optics that give people hope, hope of an enjoyable life, hope of peace. No matter how rotten it is in the belly of the beast. Isn't that what the Alliance is supposed to represent anyway? Hope?
"Alderaanian red, please," Valery asked the bartender with a kind smile. Soon enough, she was presented her drink, and elegantly curled her fingers around the glass before raising it to her lips for a small sip. Fiery eyes then scanned the room, taking note of people drinking, socializing and dancing together. For now, she was content watching from afar.

Another soul took a seat at the bar. A woman, probably a few years older than I am, is drinking her wine and seems to be observing the party. Graceful, in her way she moves. It seems like, however, that she is a rather important person. I don't know what it is that gives it away in particular. It's probably just a hunch, or the aura around her. I might have seen her somewhere before, but I can't recall where. Maybe it's somewhere in the academy's syllabus, maybe I just walked past her in one of the government buildings. I gave her a smile, but decided against bothering her. She is probably waiting for someone else. Her partner or something like that. Instead, I decided to shoot up a conversation with the bartender, who currently is not very occupied.
"You've been working on events for a while? The last time I went to another one of these was around seven years ago."

The bartender seemed to be surprised. It's an event where most people don't interact with the staff, much less in a non-professional manner. One thing I don't like about living among the nobility and pseudo-nobility. Their head is stuck so high among the clouds, they don't realize that these people, who work their whole life for paychecks, are often more interesting, more experienced, and more capable then they would ever be.
"Only my second event, this one, but I've been working in hospitality for four years. I thought you were like 20 years old or something."

I chuckled. A sweet guy. Not particularly attractive, but good with words, as it is a part of his job. I wouldn't go as far as spending my whole night talking to him, but it's a good start, I suppose. Perhaps also a good end?
"I wish. I'm Thania…"

Before I could finish, someone called the bartender. Seems like his boss. He gave me a sorry and an apologizing look before following the other person, and instantly got replaced by another bartender. Chit, my sad luck just can't help but bump it's head to every occasion I'm in. Once again, with no one to interact, I scanned my surroundings. The lady from before was still sitting on the same seat. There are a couple of other people standing around the bar, but most of them are either partnered-up, or look boring. After giving it a thought, I decided to talk to the lady. She is sitting at the bar anyway, she's probably not against a conversation.
"It's an eventful evening, isn't it?"

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

Valery seemed oblivious to most of what was happening around her, and focused on her own thoughts. She wasn't really too interested in talking to politicians, and feared people would just draw her into a conversation about what happened when she disappeared. Or worse, talk about work too much. No, she much preferred to sit alone at the bar and enjoy a glass of wine until it was socially acceptable to leave.

Or well, perhaps she would meet someone interesting to talk to tonight.

Turning on her stool, Valery caught another woman's gaze, and offered a polite smile in return before she seemed to be drawn into a conversation with the bartender. She at least didn't look like a politician or someone who wanted something from her, so she felt no need to get up and leave before it was too late. But with her kept busy, Valery turned back to look into the room, the glass of wine hovering an inch away from her lips while she occasionally sipped.

She caught several glances, either from people who recognized her, or people whose eyes she caught with her appearance. Valery remained polite in how she smiled, but made no move to join or walk up to anybody. At least, not until the conversation between the woman and bartender seemed to have ended.

"It's an eventful evening, isn't it?"

Valery glanced back at the woman, and offered a much warmer smile this time, "Very much so, although I don't tend to come to these things often. Not that many people for me to interact with." She smiled and decided to offer a hand to shake, "I'm Valery, it's nice to meet you."

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

Valery glanced back at the woman, and offered a much warmer smile this time, "Very much so, although I don't tend to come to these things often. Not that many people for me to interact with." She smiled and decided to offer a hand to shake, "I'm Valery, it's nice to meet you."

I shook the lady's hand after moving a couple of seats to her side. Valery. Her smile sparks some kind of feelings inside me, something stronger than hope. Is it joy? It's been a while since I felt that kind of emotion. My return to the Deep Core hasn't been a sentimental one. Balancing coping with your losses, traumas, and acing a top-tier program took 24 hours and more a day. I couldn't even get a proper sleep on the weekend. That's why I want to maximize the break that I got, before diving straight back, head first to the meat grinder. That's why I am extra excited to meet new people tonight. From how she presents herself, Valery seems like a kind person. I don't know how to explain. I might not be adept to the force, but I believe that emotions and aura is something that everyone can tune in to.
"I'm Thania, the pleasure is mine. I haven't been to one in Coruscant in a long while. The city sure does change."

It's a half-truth. The city itself doesn't change much. You can see it from the glass windows of this hall. Same places, same buildings, same kind of people. But the people themselves, they are different. New faces, old faces with a new twist. New enemies from within, new enemies from outside. Good folks turning bad. This is a city like nowhere else. Coruscant, the heart and soul of the Alliance. The good, the bad, and the ugly.​

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

After shaking the woman's hand, Valery kept herself turned with her side to the bar, allowing her to gently lean against it while she focused on her new conversational partner. She didn't strike Valery as a politician or Jedi, so that was already an added benefit for this evening. In fact, Valery had no idea at all who she was and who she worked for. But through the Force, she felt a positive stir of emotion within Thania, and that invited a far more pleasant interaction.

Politicians always seemed to just want something from her, rather than actually get to know her.

"It changes with the times. The war with the Maw is over, so people feel less tense. Less worried." She briefly glanced into the room, her eyes easily finding people laughing, smiling and dancing together. Events like this happened throughout the war as well, but there had always been underlying worrying that she could pick up on. Right now, there wasn't nearly as much of that anymore.

"It still feels a little too artificial to me, though," Valery then added with a smirk, her intense fiery gaze now shifting back to Thania. "But I am happy to be here to show my support for events like this. Sometimes, it's also just nice to be out and about a little, and meet interesting people." She raised her glass of wine back up to her lips for a small sip.

"Is that what brought you here tonight as well?" After all, she could have also been pressured to attend by her boss or showed up as partner for someone else. Although, considering she had been sitting here alone, she wasn't betting on the latter.

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

After a short while, I have a suspicion that Valery is force-sensitive, possibly even in the order. I have been close to a number of force-users in the past, and while not being one myself, there is always a part of me that gets a hunch when people tuned in to the force near me. Or maybe it's just a misleading hunch, I'll have to figure it out on my own.​

"It changes with the times. The war with the Maw is over, so people feel less tense. Less worried." She briefly glanced into the room, her eyes easily finding people laughing, smiling and dancing together. Events like this happened throughout the war as well, but there had always been underlying worrying that she could pick up on.

The Second Great Hyperspace War. I was merely a kid when it ravaged the galaxy. My recollections of the war are just telltales and subconscious memories. Multiple factions fighting over control and domination. It's all the same wherever you go in the galaxy. People are greedy and egocentric. The death of billions were nothing but the price to pay for one more planet to add to the collection.​

"The peace that came after the long winter. The Maw, the two Empires, it's astonishing how things move at such a rapid pace."

"It still feels a little too artificial to me, though," Valery then added with a smirk, her intense fiery gaze now shifting back to Thania. "But I am happy to be here to show my support for events like this. Sometimes, it's also just nice to be out and about a little, and meet interesting people." She raised her glass of wine back up to her lips for a small sip.

The way Valery looked at me, it tied a small knot in my stomach. I went to sip my wine to calm my nerves, which Valery also casually did. I can't help but smile at the coincidence.

"Artificial yes, but hopeful, no? From what you've said and the way people looked at you, you seem, umm, well-versed in this particular circle of Coruscant life."

"Is that what brought you here tonight as well?" After all, she could have also been pressured to attend by her boss or showed up as partner for someone else.

I thought for a moment, internalizing her question. What brought me here tonight? I was invited, I didn't have anything to do, I crave any resemblance of human connection. Or maybe I just want to have some drinks and have fun, since I won't have the chance to do it once I'm occupied with my assignment.
"Well, I went to a lot of similar events a few years back, mostly in the Outer Rim. I got the invitation from an old friend, and I figured why not, before I have to leave for work in two weeks."

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

"A little too fast, perhaps," Valery said with a soft sigh. "It only feels like yesterday that the war ended, but another group of Sith is already causing trouble in the Outer Rim." She realized that by showing her awareness of these things, it wouldn't be difficult to understand her involvement in the wars. Whether it was as soldier, Jedi or just someone who worked for the Alliance wouldn't be quite as easy to tell.

Valery then felt another slight emotional stir, but it didn't seem to be related to the topic. The last thing she wanted was to bring the mood down, or expose she's a Jedi to someone with very negative views on them. Especially among Politicians that seemed to run rampant these days, even though the Jedi had played such a major role in ending the war.

"Artificial yes, but hopeful, no? From what you've said and the way people looked at you, you seem, umm, well-versed in this particular circle of Coruscant life."

Well, she supposed it was difficult to hide it now, so she chuckled a little, "I'm a Jedi, so there are people here who recognize me, and it's why I'm up-to-date on things." Her smile lingered and once more, Valery took a sip from her wine. Not to hide her face or the way she felt, but just because she was actually relaxed and in a good mood for once. It had felt like forever ago after everything that had happened recently.

"Sounds like a good reason to be here. It sure is better than feeling socially pressured to attend." She chuckled and ran a hand up through the long hair she had curled for the occasion. "As long as you dodge the wrong types, you can have a pretty decent night and perhaps meet someone interesting." Now she just hoped that the revelation of being a Jedi wouldn't change anything.

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

"A little too fast, perhaps," Valery said with a soft sigh. "It only feels like yesterday that the war ended, but another group of Sith is already causing trouble in the Outer Rim."

"Mhmmm. The Sith. They always come back, don't they?"

Out of any living being in the galaxy, the Sith terrifies me the most. I know for a fact that they are a constant in this galaxy. When there is light, darkness is looming just over the edge. Good will prevail, but evil always comes back. It's the cycle of the universe, my mother once told me. Even at times of peace and prosperity, the Sith lurks behind the shadow. I've felt them lurking in places they are not supposed to be. In the heart of the Alliance, in the former Ashlan territories, in the Imperial sectors, the Hutt space, the League's turf. And that's enough to keep me awake some nights.​

"I'm a Jedi, so there are people here who recognize me, and it's why I'm up-to-date on things." Her smile lingered and once more, Valery took a sip from her wine.

"My intuition was right then. A Jedi."

I never knew any Jedi on a personal level. A couple force-users in training, yes, but not anyone like Valery, who is probably a Jedi master or even a council member. It's a long-shot, considering my rank and her possible rank, but I think it would be amusing if we are to work together in the near future. I have a feeling that she is a pleasant person to be with, both professionally and personally.​

"Sounds like a good reason to be here. It sure is better than feeling socially pressured to attend." She chuckled and ran a hand up through the long hair she had curled for the occasion. "As long as you dodge the wrong types, you can have a pretty decent night and perhaps meet someone interesting."

"That is true. In my line of work, I have to go to such an event quite often. It makes me appreciate these circumstances much more."

I raised my glass and took another sip of my wine. It's the last sip apparently, I didn't realize that I had finished a glass, not until now. My face must be glowing crimson red right now. I gazed at Valery's eyes. Trying to find something. A matching frequency? Commonalities? Or perhaps just how she feels about me. Suddenly, in the middle of my thoughts, I blurted a question, sounding way more flirty than I intended to.
"What about you? Are you here tonight as Valery the Jedi master, or Valery the ordinary citizen, looking for a pleasant night?"

I winced, and for a second I thought of apologizing, or saying that it wasn't my intention. However, what's said is out now. I should just roll with it and salvaged whatever left later. I just hope that it doesn't ruin her night.

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

"My intuition was right then. A Jedi."

"What gave it away?" Valery chuckled but it was somewhat of a serious question. Likely her awareness about the war and Sith in the Outer Rim, but perhaps there was a more interesting answer to that question. Something that would perhaps hint at the woman's own work, considering she was so perceptive. A random civilian wouldn't pick up so easily on the signs of a Jedi in disguise.

But before she could ask about it, Valery watched Thania finish her wine with a face even brighter red than before. Was she not feeling well? Or perhaps- Oh. When Thania looked her in the eyes, Valery understood what was going on. She felt the emotions from the woman and the question with a somewhat flirtatious tone that followed confirmed it all. There wasn't much wrong with what she asked, but Valery didn't want to create the wrong image either.

"I came here tonight because they asked me to attend as Sword of the Jedi," Valery explained calmly. "But I'm not too interested in throwing around who I am, so I was mostly just looking for casual conversation." She didn't want to have a go at the woman at all about the flirtatious tone, choosing to believe she just didn't know that her husband was a very well-known Jedi as well. So she simply placed her hand on the bar, where she could see the golden ring around her finger.

"Usually, I'd bring my husband along, but he's looking after the kids tonight." She always had to balance those things with Kahlil but she did prefer for him to always be by her side if it was possible.

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

"What gave it away?" Valery chuckled but it was somewhat of a serious question.

Her question and her gaze. Valery is interested. Curious at the very least. A random civilian who is not aware of who she is wouldn't be able to make such an assessment. She dresses up to the occasion, undoubtedly, leaving no signs of battle and war. Well, any signs beside her hale physique. It's all lies in the details.​

"For once I've been up close and personal with force-users in the past. Nothing fancy, just some naughty padawans and untrained Outer Rimmers. Then, the way people look at you. They were looks of respect, reverence even. And you talk about the war, the conflicts, as it was. A necessary, yet unfortunate tragedy. Not a triumph. So, not a politician, not a corporatist, I was leaning towards a war hero, a scorched war hero perhaps."

"Usually, I'd bring my husband along, but he's looking after the kids tonight." She always had to balance those things with Kahlil but she did prefer for him to always be by her side if it was possible.

A husband. Kids. Of course. It all hits me just now. Valery Noble. How did I, a SIA agent, miss so many obvious clues? I might have spent most of my adulthood outside of the Alliance sphere, but I've obviously heard of the famous Jedi council power couple. Valery and Kahlil. Maybe deep down I've known all along, but my hopeless romantic heart just ignored all the hunches.
"You know the problem with you, what truly are your downfalls? You see the world through rose-tinted glasses, you navigate life as if you have a reset button, and you're a bad liar with a savior complex. You lie and lie and lie to yourself, you don't even know what is true anymore. It's all a farce. You, your past, your life."

Chit. The fethin' voices. The ghosts from the past. The phantasm that keeps me awake and drenched in sweats at night. It doesn't matter what happens here. All roads lead back to Ord Trasi, to that evening. I glanced at my speaking partner. Trying to gauge Valery's reaction to all this. Trying to salvage any resemblance of control over myself, over the conversation. I must look like a mess right now. Hopefully, it comes out more as a look of embarrassment than whatever this spiraling anguish is. Yet she is a Jedi master, and chances are she at the very least senses something more from the emotion that slowly leaks out of my heart.
"Of course, the kids. Not exactly the kind of events you want to take them to, I suppose."

I tried to offer her a smile, a reassuring smile. A smile that tries to reassure Valery that I'm alright. Or was it to convince myself? Either way, this is a courtly event held by a respectful institution. Let's keep it classy.​

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

Valery moved on from the topic of her being a Jedi very quickly when she noticed the sudden shift in emotions, only offering a nod of acknowledgement to her awareness of the details that gave it away. The revelation about her family seemed to have sparked something Valery had expected a little bit after the woman's question. Disappointment, embarrassment, but also a pain that ran deeper than the Jedi Master had initially expected. Rejection or disappointment were all parts of life, but what had happened to make Thania feel this way?

Should Valery leave to give her some time and space? She wasn't quite sure, but decided against it, hoping that she could help Thania feel a little bit better.

"Hey uh, I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I can tell you're a great person, and this night should be about having a good time." She got up, as a song started playing that had people raise their arms while they danced along. Not the romantic, intimate kind of dancing, but more like what you'd see at a party somewhere. Even at an event like this, people wanted to let loose a bit and not take everything too seriously.

"So, why don't we head over there and have fun?" Valery wouldn't blame her if she said no, but maybe losing her mind with some moves on a dancefloor would help get over everything a little. And who knows, maybe Valery could even wingman a little. Plenty of available and interested people in a hall like this.

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

Should Valery leave to give her some time and space? She wasn't quite sure, but decided against it, hoping that she could help Thania feel a little bit better.

"Hey uh, I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I can tell you're a great person, and this night should be about having a good time."

I was surprised that Valery decided to stay, and dare I say, try to console me. Never in a million years did I think that a stranger would muddle themself into the convoluted mess that I am. I haven't had that, an actual kind feedback, for a very long time. Instead, it was almost always the usual disingenuous nice gestures. It makes me feel much better, but also bad for causing this awkward scene. Valery is a kind soul, after all, as I predicted earlier. A sincere agent of the force.​

"No need to apologize, Val. I'm the one who should say sorry. It's just, no, something else crept on my mind. But it's alright."

She got up, as a song started playing that had people raise their arms while they danced along. Not the romantic, intimate kind of dancing, but more like what you'd see at a party somewhere. Even at an event like this, people wanted to let loose a bit and not take everything too seriously.

"So, why don't we head over there and have fun?"

Coincidentally, a joyful song started playing, which lifted the mood of the whole ballroom hall. I could feel the heat that had cramped in my face for the last few minutes that felt like forever starting to scram away and a small smile crept up at the corner of my mouth. Perhaps noticing the subtle change in my emotion, Valery stood up, and surprisingly offered a dance. After everything that had happened.​

"That sounds wonderful! It's a joyous occasion, after all."

Truth be told, I'd rather talk my feelings out, to her, to someone, to anyone. Heaven knows how long it's been since I have someone to actually talk to. But of course, it'd be rather odd to just start pouring your hearts out to someone you just met five minutes ago, even if the person is the kindest soul in the galaxy. Maybe in time, maybe one day. For now, I'll have to settle for a dance. I know that what's on my mind earlier will find a way to slither back into my head tonight, but for now, I'd rather forget. Just as usual, let's delay the nightmare until I am ready to face it.​

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

"It's quite alright," Valery assured her, and it seemed that the approach she decided on was the right one to help Thania feel better. It would have been too easy to get angry over being flirted with, and she would have if Thania had tried to cross a line knowing that she was married. But in this case, it just seemed like a misunderstanding, so she'd rather just move on from it and make the most out of this whole event.

Luckily, the mood of the entire hall seemed to brighten up as a more joyful song began to play, and the offer to join other people in their dancing seemed to make Thania feel better too. There was still something deeper behind the surface that Valery could feel, but perhaps they could talk about it after just letting loose a little bit.

"Alright, come on," Valery then said before she walked over to the dancefloor — not the easiest thing to do on heels. But once she was there and adjusted to the rhythm, she was moving around like it was the most natural thing to her in the world. She had learned how to waltz and studied some other dances as well, but this was very different. It didn't stop Valery from performing, and having fun doing it.

But as she danced, she also glanced over to Thania, hoping she was enjoying herself again too.

"Is this your kind of music?" Valery called out over the loud sound. "Or a bit too much?"

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

There's a sense of carelessness, complemented perfectly by the upbeat music, emanating within the dancing figures on the floor. The previous scene, intimate married couples enjoying their once in a fortnight outings, and secret workplace flings desperately holding on their last bit of self-control, are slowly getting replaced by trust-fund teenagers thinking they are the hot stuffs, young professionals catching up their lost youth, and some 20-somethings in crisis, itching for the kick to get lost in. Amidst the joyous crowd, I can see that Val is moving her body around, in tune, absorbed in the music.
"You are really good at this."

Val dances in such an energetic way. There's a sense of vigor in every one of her moves. I laughed, trying to match her tempo, a chassé for a chassé, a jump for a jump. In-between moves, I looked around the crowd, going from eyes to eyes. Eyes full of glee, hope, desire, everything in-between. Perhaps, there's someone in the crowd, someone who is ready to be found. I shifted my glance back to Val. It seems like she is enjoying this. Perhaps, it's also been a while since she got the chance to go out and dance her heart out like this.
"Is this your kind of music?" Valery called out over the loud sound. "Or a bit too much?"

"This is great. I had my techno rave phase when I was younger. These days I mostly listen to disco and jazz."

While it's not exactly my jam, it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the music. On the contrary, the festive atmosphere of the dance floor has helped me forgets the awkwardness from the last 20 minutes or so. It's also a good background noise to move my body and, perhaps, mingle with more people later on.​

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

"You're not bad yourself,"
Valery said in return with a chuckle. While this wasn't exactly a type of dancing that she had learned or practice seriously, it felt easy enough. Move to the rhythm, keep the body loose and sway it around. It was perhaps a little showy, but nobody was really paying attention to other people in a moment like this. Everybody was dancing their hearts out, and focused on themselves. Well, except for Thania maybe. Valery had noticed the way she looked around at others, and knew there was a bit more to what happened earlier.

So after Thania answered her question about music taste, Valery stepped closer and tried to snap Thania's focus just purely to the dancing. There was a time to talk about what was on her mind, but right now, she just wanted her to forget and drift away in the rhythm and melodies.

"Come on, loosen up a bit!" She called out with a grin, as she danced her way around Thania this time, forcing the woman to move along until she stopped again. It was just a simple trick to force that focus, but the music wouldn't last forever, and after a few more minutes of upbeat songs, it slowed down a little again. Valery figured it'd be a good time to catch breaths and maybe talk a bit more.

"You want to head back to the bar? Or just stand off to the side a bit?"

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

"Come on, loosen up a bit!" She called out with a grin, as she danced her way around Thania this time

If Val's intention was to get me fully lost in the music and focus on the dance, then she is successful in her attempt. The intensity and energy in the way she dances and moves around me was able to absorb my full attention after my initial reluctance and aloofness. At some point, I happened to match her tempo, moving my arms, my shoulder, and my hips to the rhythm.

After some time, the music started to shift into the previous slower, more intimate and melodic tunes, a cue for us to take a breather. It seems like Val was thinking the same thing, as she managed to be the first one to spout out the question.
Valery figured it'd be a good time to catch breaths and maybe talk a bit more.

"You want to head back to the bar? Or just stand off to the side a bit?"

I laughed breathlessly after the dance. It was fun, I haven't done this in a while and I can't imagine anything better in any other circumstances. The stamina can't lie though, and what would be better than the chilly breeze of Coruscant night wind to rejuvenate the burnt energies.
"Whoa, I needed that. I could use a smoke if you don't mind heading out to the balcony."

Of course, I understand if she wants to stay inside for many reasons. Not liking the cold, not comfortable around the burning smokes of a cigarette, wanting to get a seat. It's not a huge deal, a drink would suffice. Well, maybe also some opportunities to get the thoughts out of the system.​

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

Almost in an instant, Thania seemed to finally let go of whatever was holding her back and joined in on the dancing without worry. It was good to see that after the tension and swirl of emotions, she had felt earlier from the woman earlier this evening. But she also understood it was only temporary. A moment of distraction, not an attempt to forget what happened and bury everything away, until it would one day be too much to control.

Luckily, she agreed to leave the dance floor behind after the music changed again, and offered the balcony as an option, so she could have a smoke. Valery didn't smoke herself, but the idea of some fresh air seemed nice, so she dipped her head and followed Thania out to the balcony. It was only there that the music was quiet enough to speak without shouting, so once Thania had her cigarette lit up, Valery decided to talk.

"Never been a fan of Coruscant, but the view at night with all the lights is quite something," she commented, her fiery gaze scanning the skyline of the planet before they turned back to Thania.

"I hope you had a bit of fun still down there. I figured a bit of a distraction would be nice, but I don't want you to feel like you can't talk about what's on your mind either."

Divine Misfortune
GA-Main.png

geshb.png

The balcony is less crowded and less noisy compared to the interior of the building. Just right, if one of us wants to talk. The wind hits every edges of the skyscrapers of this ecumenopolis just perfectly. It is an engineering marvel, Coruscant. We are standing higher than the mountaintop, with artificial everything. Had I not spent half of my adulthood here, I would find it insane that people put their full faith in the system that makes the planet works.

I lit up my cigarette and took a short drag. Val is not smoking, it seems like, so I tried to make a mental note not to let the smoke blow in her direction.
"Never been a fan of Coruscant, but the view at night with all the lights is quite something," she commented, her fiery gaze scanning the skyline of the planet before they turned back to Thania.

Val's eyes glow as intensely as before. Truth be told, I am not familiar at all with Keshian biology to know if that's just a standard trait of the species. Yet, if you look at her eyes more closely, you can feel that there is an actual intensity beneath those fiery gazes.
"Me neither. It feels foreign, no matter how long I've been here."

"I hope you had a bit of fun still down there. I figured a bit of a distraction would be nice, but I don't want you to feel like you can't talk about what's on your mind either."

I glanced at Val's face, trying to gauge her looks and what's in her mind. Is it a look of sympathy? Concern? Pity? Perhaps all of it, combined. All I know is she seems to encourage me to talk. At least if I want to.
"It was nothing, at least nothing that happened to the Thania who is standing here today."

I took a deep sigh, trying to set boundaries and think about what should be mentioned, and what should be left unsaid.
"I had a life, years ago, far away from this so-called 'Core of the galaxy'. Something that resembles a family. It was short, but it felt right. Sometimes, those 'ghosts from the past' snuck back in when I feel vulnerable. It did, earlier."

I did try to avoid oversharing. It is, after all, not something that you talk to a person you just met an hour ago. Maybe some other days. It would be nice to make a new friend, especially one as seemingly kind as Valery. Maybe, that's all it takes to finally make this place feel like home. Another soul that understand the frigid despair that lies on this vast gloom of a planet. Sights of Coruscant night sky, the moons and the sun, are steady in the background. Beautiful, yet distant. Perhaps, one day, I can accept the fact that both can be true at the same time, and make peace with it.
"I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable, back at the bar. And, I did have fun, Valery, thank you."

GADividerWhite.png

geshb.png

Coruscant
div-orange.png

"I understand,"
Valery said with a slight dip of her head, when Thania exposed something about herself. "I'm sure the specifics of our sittuations are very different, but about a decade ago, I woke up from thousands of years of being stuck in stasis. To me, it didn't feel like that at all, though, so from one moment to another, I lost everybody I knew." She paused for a moment, as the faces of those who she left behind briefly flashed through her mind.

"The past has a way to sneak up on us, even if we've left it far behind." She paused once more, this time taking a moment to just look at the Coruscant skyline, and admire the lights. As unnatural as this planet still felt to her, there was some beauty to it she could appreciate.

"I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable, back at the bar. And, I did have fun, Valery, thank you."

Thania's voice drew Valery's gaze back to the woman, and another smile was offered, "It's alright. Not the first time something like it happened, but I could tell you weren't being malicious with it. So... I'm glad you had fun despite it too." Her smile brightened up a little, as a hand came up through her long hair to fix it up a little bit.

"After tonight, though, where are you heading next? Back to work or is this a longer vacation?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom