Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Contention of Ideals

Jedi_Briefing_Room.png

Coruscant Temple
Appearance | Outfit | Weapons

After a rather eventful night on a Coruscant rooftop, Valery had made sure the wounded Padawans were taken care of, and the others had likely returned to training at this point. Her own life continued as well, with meetings regarding the war, action at the front but also "smaller" problems that were brought to her attention. While not at the scale of the war with the Maw or Empire, they weren't to be deemed insignificant either, and one case, in particular, drew her attention.

Rogue Sith.

The Galaxy was full of them, as Sith often preferred to carve their own paths to power, rather than follow after others. If they were left alone too long, they could establish power bases and become far bigger problems to the Jedi or people of the Galaxy. So, as a former Jedi Shadow, Valery accepted the assignment and contacted a Padawan she believed would learn a lot from the mission as well. After the rooftop incident, she wanted to talk to him in private, and this would not only give her the chance to do that but also allow her to help him gain experience in the field alongside a more experienced Jedi.

He may not be her Padawan, but his training was still important to her.

"Ah, Padawan Talo?" Valery asked, as she stood behind the holo-table and watched the door open. "Please, join me and we can discuss the mission, among other things." She had a feeling he'd want to talk about her decision as well, as she remembered him mentioning that he didn't understand it. So whatever was on his mind, he'd have a moment in private now to discuss it with her.

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand had initially been surprised by the summons of Master Noble.

That was until he considered that perhaps it was expulsion, for his presence at the Padawan fight, and had prepared for the worst. However, that starting response was dashed, when Master Noble instead mentioned an assignment, and that he should meet her for a briefing in the Jedi equivalent of a war room. That factor caused Jand to prepare appropriately, as he donned his cloak and weaponry, which included his - now somewhat battered - training lightsaber, his longsword and some throwing Tehk'la blades.

Not exactly common Jedi armament, granted, but the Nagai didn't believe in relying solely on an ineffective weapon.

The training lightsaber was low intensity, after all.

Also in more recent weeks, since arrival at the Jedi Temple, Jand had started to adopt the honorific for those above his own position - Master - though it burdened him on a intrinsic level; the Nagai were known for their absolute fear of loss of freedom, which the context of a the title, could be taken as some kind of ownership or claim.

The Tof had ruined the term for the Nagai, and Jand's people bred that into their children, including his parents.

So, it was with effort, and by justifying it as a honorific, that Jand was able to utter it.

"Yes, Master Noble," The Nagai said as he stepped through the door, his expression grim for a mere moment, in response to her query. "As you say."

Among other things.

Jand walked over to the holo-table and soon stood beside the Jedi Master. There was most certainly something the Padawan wanted to say, if the unease in his presence was any indication, though he restrained the need to favor the mission and to heed the Jedi Master's explanation of the assignment...

The moment he entered the room, Valery couldn't just see but she could feel that he was not entirely comfortable. It sparked around the moment he addressed her as Master, so she figured he was still having to get used to Jedi formalities. But regardless of what really caused it, Valery bowed her head into a respectful greeting, hoping to help convey that these formalities were to demonstrate mutual respect, rather than just the way their hierarchy worked.

"Thank you for joining me on such short notice, but this assignment only just came in, and it's not one we can postpone handling too much. There is, however, more than enough time for us to discuss it and prepare ourselves," Valery began as he joined her at the table. The mission wasn't overly time-sensitive, but it wasn't something she felt confident pushing away several days or weeks either.

But they did have the time to get to know each other better and address unanswered questions from the night on the rooftop.

"Before I get into the details, I wanted to ask about the other night. You're not in trouble, so don't worry if that was the case. I was merely wanting to understand why you seemed surprised at my reaction there, and perhaps I can clarify it better now that we have a moment in private to talk about it."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

The discomfort remained, but the Jedi Master's nod did help, though it would take time to become accustomed. Jand instead focused his mind on the task, as he stood at the holo-table, and listened to the words spoken. The mission had come in recently, delay wasn't ideal, but the pair still had preparation time to ensure a preferable outcome.

"Of course," Jand said with his own nod. "I would not turn down an opportunity to help the Jedi Order or yourself."

There did remain some tension in the air, with the only thing that came to mind to cause such a state being the unspoken miscommunication of the fight between Padawans, which had left Jand somewhat confused. He had pondered on it for a time, unable to find the reason for Master Noble's reaction, but also didn't want to believe she felt that way; as it seemed so unlike what Jand might have expected, for someone so focused and known for martial prowess in the Jedi Order.

Jand looked back to the Jedi Master, as she spoke.

Master Noble had brought up the same.

"I did not believe myself in trouble, no," Jand said simply, as he decided now was the best - and probably only - time to fully focus on the misunderstanding, with the opportunity to solve it once and for all, to avoid letting it become a problem. Deal with issues sooner than later. "I can admit to some level of surprise with how you handled of the situation, yes, Master Noble."

Jand spoke calmly, but his dark eyes seemed troubled.

"I did not seek to undermine or question you, not in front of your Padawans or juniors, so instead I kept it to myself... and it has weighed on my mind since."

The Nagai sighed.

"My surprise comes from that I saw the outing as an opportunity for growth, a chance to learn from unorthodox methods, as not every martial engagement would be supervised or controlled in a dojo. My upbringing and understanding have been to seek out any situation that could expand a warrior's breadth of experience and knowledge, to push one beyond comfort zones or established training norms, to better be prepared for combat... and given your reputation, I found it contradictory and confusing."

Jand looked to Master Noble, questioning expression on his face...

"I can admit to some level of surprise with how you handled of the situation, yes, Master Noble."

Valery dipped her head, as it confirmed what she had been suspecting. It also didn't seem to bother her at all — misunderstandings were part of any training journey, so all they had to do was talk about it and clear up any lingering confusion.
"While I don't mind people questioning my decisions, as I find it important that anybody can be held accountable, I do appreciate that you waited. There is a time and place for these conversations," she said with an appreciative smile.

Then, she listened to his explanation and rather quickly caught on to what sparked the confusion. She didn't know too much about Nagai culture, but enough to understand that using it as a reference in this particular case made everything feel very counter-intuitive.

"If this had occured between Nagai, I would likely agree. But most Jedi don't view every situation as an opportunity to expand their warrior side — in fact, Jedi don't have to be fighters at all. In this particular case, the two Padawans weren't consciously using their fight to test what they've learned and understand what does and doesn't work in a fight without rules or control. They were completely blinded by their emotions, which was the only driving force that kept them going."

"You could see a glimpse of it at the end when Silas seemed completely shocked I was there, even though I had been watching for a while and as my Padawan, he could have easily sensed me if he had been in control of himself. It would have meant that by the end of the fight, their focus would have been on who won and lost, not on what they actually could have learned."

"This is ultimately what the first line of the code is about as well. A Jedi shouldn't let emotions be the catalyst of their actions or decisions, and it very much was for both of them, especially by the end of it."

She paused a moment, hoping it cleared up her side of the story, "So it's a matter of different perspectives on situations like this. While your people might be more conscious about expanding knowledge even in heated situations, the vast majority of young Jedi will not learn from a fight like that. It only creates more tension or anger between them, and in these times of war, we need to stand together."

"That's why I stopped it."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand was reassured that Valery Noble was open for disagreement or questions, when it came to the decisions she made.

A leader capable of accepting criticism or concerns from others, and taking the time to discuss them, was rare. It wouldn't be uncommon for such a similar event - in Nagai society - to have resulted in an honor duel to the death. So that that had not happened meant the meeting, after the rooftop incident, was already going well. The openness about anybody being held accountable was surprising for Jand, something he had not really experienced in a highly defensive culture - mainly to protect personal honor, which was of the utmost importance to an individual.

After he had given his explanation, Jand listened with his gray eyes regarding the Jedi Master, with undivided attention.

The response was concise, and while his being Nagai made it difficult to understand some of the reasoning, he tried to remain open-minded. Or at least as much as he could. Some of what Valery Noble said contradicted Jand's very upbringing, were similar to comparing a hawkbat that chose not to fly despite having wings, but he remained silent. She had listened to him, he would do the same. And when the Jedi Master reached the final few statements, with the Nagai used as an example specifically, Jand nodded...

The Padawan began to grasp the more extensional reasoning for the decision - and reaction - to the rooftop incident.

"I believe I understand," Jand said slowly, as he furrowed his brow and reached up to pinch his chin between finger and thumb in thought. Something he had seen another do, it seemed to express to others thoughtfulness. "You were more concerned with the method, than the purpose. The lack of control both fighters displayed, the loss of clarity and focus, which would result in simply an outlet for emotionally driven attacks and equally high injury."

Jand nodded slowly as he lowered his hand.

"I had thought them both to be sloppy, inexperienced, and unable to effectively fight in unarmed melee combat... which they are, I am not afraid to say. Terribly so. But, with your explanation, I believe I can start to understand the truth, and your points do make sense. I still believe there is something to be gained from unexpected conflict, but agree that my upbringing sets me apart from most others, in that regard. Perhaps another attempt, to achieve the intended goal of experience in uncommon circumstances might be possible, so long as emotional responses are monitored and tighter challenge control given?

"I would be willing to provide that supervision in the absence of Jedi Masters, to not let things get like they did on the rooftop, and to stop it should the challengers become too zealous."

Jand believed the 'fight club' could have developmentally positive intentions and results. It just required a more experienced, and level-headed, mediator. Though something had been mentioned that Jand couldn't quite understand.

"Before, you mentioned that Jedi don't have to be fighters at all. How? Is that not their purpose? Each has a lightsaber that has been designed efficiently for injury or death of most matter or substance... and what of the Sith, if these Jedi encounter them?"

Even with her thorough explanation, Valery had a feeling that his cultural background would make it more difficult for him to understand the situation from the Jedi's perspective, but she was quite pleasantly surprised to hear that he understood it pretty well. Of course, if he had been in their position, things would have felt very different, but as long as he understood why she broke up the fight in this specific case, Valery was satisfied. "That's right, and a training scenario that's less controlled or fixated on restricting to particular styles or Lightsaber Forms would be fine, and I heavily encourage Padawans to train and learn from each other in different ways."

"But it's important that those clashes happen with the intent to learn, and not just with emotional heat making them want to actually hurt each other. They gain nothing doing it."

She then paused and let him speak again - the offer that followed got her to smile and was met with a dip of her head, "That's certainly possible, although they don't necessarily need supervision. Especially the more senior Padawans shouldn't need it anymore unless it's a Master or someone with a lot of experience who is there to give feedback."

Another pause followed before she decided to add one more thing, "I'd also be careful with trying to stop situations like the one on the rooftop, and call in a Knight or Master if it gets really out of hand. When most Padawans get really emotionally driven, they are more likely to lash out at someone getting in between as well, especially fellow Padawans," she said, mostly as a warning. The last thing she wanted was for him to get caught up in a fight like that, even if he did view it as a chance to learn.

"As for your question, Jedi first and foremost serve the will of the Force, and this can be done in many ways. We all get some basic lightsaber training to defend ourselves and others, but some Jedi decide to focus the majority of their time on studying various things in the Galaxy, others dedicate their lives to interpreting visions of the Future, and some others might just follow the path of a healer. There are a lot of different paths you can follow, and not all are combative in nature."

"Although, in times of war, far more Jedi will train more to prepare for it. Those who don't... well, they try to stay away from Sith or the war fronts."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand nodded at Valery Noble's confirmation of the training scenario, though didn't seem overly supportive of the Nagai's offer to mediate the engagements, which he didn't take personally. The Jedi struck him as a traditional institution, one that relied on established norms and expectations, and so the opinion that a Knight or Master should be present - should Padawans not respect or listen to a fellow Padawan - such as it was, so it would be.

When it came to the matter of experience for feedback purposes, Jand clenched his jaw muscles, but remained silent.

It seemed to be another situation where continued debate would yield little.

"I understand," Jand said, in response to the caution about stepping in to intervene with emotionally driven Padawans. "I will make sure to remember that, and avoid delivering serious injury, should there be no other choice but for me to step in. I do not seek to hurt my fellow Jedi, even in challenges, despite it going against my culture and traditions... I am aware there is a vast difference between where I came from, and what I am to become, and I will continue to close that distance as able."

Even if, at times, Jand saw the pragmatic benefit of violence toward some more troublesome Padawans.

The Jedi Master then explained the intricacies of non-combative Jedi roles, which revealed some more information for the Nagai, who had never really considered those more passive or peaceful choices. He had been raised with the blade, he would die with the blade. That said, it was... encouraging to know that the Jedi had paths for all kinds of sentients, it made sense, and allowed the Jedi Order to perform a broad range of duties in the pursuit of service to the galaxy.

"I recall learning of some areas in the Order, such as healers," Jand said as he considered, before he nodded to the other. "But that offers a more specific insight, one I can think on as time allows. My culture are all warriors, every single Nagai, so it never occurred to me to consider anything but a more combat-orientated service to protecting others. And while those other paths are likely not my own, it is comforting to know others are on them. Thank you."

Jand's dark eyes lit up, however, when he spoke next:

"But regarding the Sith and war fronts... is that why I have been summoned, Master Noble?"

"I am aware there is a vast difference between where I came from, and what I am to become, and I will continue to close that distance as able."

Valery dipped her head with a soft smile,
"The Jedi were once a lot more strict about this, and while it's important to not hold onto our pasts too much, especially when it clashes heavily with Jedi Philosophy, you may find ways to still honor parts of your upbringing." The mindset about viewing all situations as something to learn from was an example of this, although the more extreme side to their perspective on combative training wouldn't really work. It was a matter of adapting and learning more about the Jedi, so he could find his own path as one.

She then listened to him as he talked about the other paths Jedi could follow,
"Most of those paths aren't exactly for me either. I was almost entirely raised within the Jedi, but my Master quickly figured out what I excelled at. So while I wasn't raised within a warrior culture necessarily, my focus has also been primarily on more combative training. There's nothing wrong with it, especially in these war times, but our Healers, diplomats, and Lorekeepers all play crucial roles in the war effort as well." She smiled faintly and seemed quite pleased that he recognized them all as important as well.

"But regarding the Sith and war fronts... is that why I have been summoned, Master Noble?"

"Something like that," Valery said before she finally activated the holo-projector, which displayed a Galaxy map with a planet marked in the outer rim, "This isn't related to the ongoing war, but we've received reports about a pair of Sith attempting to seize power on Pergitor, a theocratically run planet where people live in sealed cities that shield them against the dangerous environment."

"Without a Master, it can be hard to gain experience in the field, so I've been bringing along more Padawans to help me with assignments to address it. I'd like you to come with me to take these Sith down before they can destabilize the planet."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Since his time of arrival at the Jedi Temple, and the subsequent lessons and mentors he had learned from, Jand felt that he was closer to achieving what Valery Noble suggested. Jand, personally, to develop his methodology of being a Jedi. The Temple could only provide the tools, it was up the Nagai youth to craft what was needed, to belong. Granted, he had developed in the more recent weeks and months, but he wasn't as close as he cared to be.

There was time.

"I understand, and agree," Jand said to the Jedi Master, as she explained the importance of numerous vocations in the Jedi Order, but also her own path focus. Given the purpose of the organization was to provide wide-spread support and protection, it made sense, as the Nagai were more insular and self-contained socially. In Jand's culture, it made sense to rely solely on combat, as that was what everyone else did, too. But the Jedi had other obligations and concerns beyond that, so other paths were logically sound. "I do not see my future being as a healer, diplomat or lorekeeper, no. I follow the path of aggressive negotiations, as another Padawan put it... I did not laugh as she did, though."

Nonetheless, the conversation shifted to the more important reason for Jand's summons.

Sith.

The Padawan watched as the holo-projector came to life, then zeroed in on a specific portion of space, with the world Pergitor highlighted. Some data about the planet scrolled by to one side, but Jand's attention was on the Jedi Master, as she outlined the specifics of the task before them. It seemed on the planet, with its compromised and dangerous environment, there were said to be Sith instigating a reach for control. And, due to being masterless, Valery Noble had opted to bring Jand to assist with his field experience as a Jedi.

"Thank you for the consideration," Jand said with a nod. "I will not let you down."

Jand's dark eyes remained on the holo, before he asked.

"Given the nature of the planet, and sealed cities, there is opportunity to attempt a more subtle entry. Especially if a plan can be prepared, with the sentients responsible for getting this information off-planet. They might provide a means into the system where the Sith are located, allowing us to maintain an element of surprise. Or perhaps you have another way you wish to approach this situation, Master Noble?"

No matter the decision on mission direction, Jand would follow the Jedi Master's lead.

There was still a hint of reluctance at the word master, but it was no less so.

Jand awaited his orders.

"I understand, and agree,"

Valery offered a faint but kind smile in response, as it meant to her that the discussion was quite successful. He had been able to ask his questions, and she had done her best to clear up her perspective on what happened. Now, it meant the two Jedi could finally focus on the mission she was taking him on, and after going through a short briefing to cover the details, Jand proposed a plan. It brought a slightly wider smirk to her lips, and with a tap of a button, the projector shifted to show a civilian shuttle.

"We're going to approach the planet on this shuttle, which has a civilian registry. I will avoid making contact with people on the ground there again though, just in case someone else is listening in. I don't want to add unnecessary risk to the mission right before we go there," Valery explained before she turned off the projector and offered him a datapad.

"This contains a map of the city we're going to. After we land at the spaceport, we'll figure out our way through it and reach the Sith. They may have manipulated people into following them already, so we'll have to be cautious, and just to be safe, we don't trust anybody until after we've handled the Sith."

She paused a moment and tapped her chin, "You've learned how to suppress yourself in the Force, correct? If not, I'll show you how to do that before we arrive as well."

"Other than that, any questions before we depart?"

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand took the offered datapad and scanned the information, as he nodded.

The youth's upbringing had been focused on war, combat, engagement and overcoming opponents. His mind worked differently than - likely - most of the other Padawans. Even being so young, Jand saw tactics, strategy, he saw opportunities for advantage and where to try and avoid disadvantage. Granted, he lacked some experience, but the youth hoped to overcome that limitation in knowledge through missions such as this; and that started by heeding everything and anything Valery Noble had to share, as she was the Sword of the Jedi, a position that - in many years to come - Jand sought to assume and serve as.

"I understand," Jand said with a nod. "Avoiding contact makes it possible to avoid complications from Sith influence. It remains possible that your contacts may have been compromised since they reached out. This is a sound and good strategy, Master Noble."

With dark eyes on the schematics of the city, Jand wondered at the potential obstacles the Sith might have put into place. Using the civilians seemed likely, as mentioned by the Jedi Master, but the nature of the city systems allowed for ambush and choke-points as well. While Jand had no reason to suspect Valery Noble hadn't considered that, he made sure to note several locations his honed Nagai mind saw as problem areas - they were locations he would use.

"I have not learned that skill, no," Jand said in response to the query about suppression of his Force presence. "If you instruct me while on the way, I will give my utmost to learn this ability in that time. I have heard from others that you are very skilled in more clandestine uses of the Force? That you can walk in front of sentients without being seen, using the Force alone?"

It was an intriguing concept, one that aligned well with the Nagai combat philosophy of using any advantage to their advantage. And the notion of being able to avoid notice, to blend into the background, sounded awfully useful in almost any situation. Not only that, but Jand would dedicate himself to learning the skills the Jedi Master taught, as they were an opportunity to have one-on-one instruction - and that was a benefit the Nagai youth refused to squander, especially without a mentor having taken him as pupil.

"I believe I understand the mission, our approach, and what I must learn before we arrive. All that remains is the question about this--"

Jand reached down and retrieved the battered training lightsaber from his belt. He held it up.

"--I have not had the opportunity to craft my own lightsaber. I still rely on the training model given to me by the Order. Am I able to request the use of a more lethal variant?"

The Padawan wasn't sure how that worked, with lending out non-training lightsabers, but it was something that needed consideration before the mission...

"I'm glad you think so," Valery said with a soft smile when he agreed with her view on their approach. The main thing she hoped to achieve was that he always thought for himself and considered their options, but also evaluated her decisions. To blindly accept and follow others was inherently risky, and even if the person could be trusted, it was important to remain critical. With the way he was studying the map she had given him and the way he thought about everything she told him, Valery felt confident in his critical thinking skills.

The Nagai then answered her question about masking his presence, and asked one that got her to smile,
"Correct, I was a Jedi Shadow, so I've learned a lot of skills to keep myself concealed in a variety of ways. A long time ago, the Jedi were far more secretive about the existence of the Shadows and the abilities they had, but that has changed a lot. For now, though, I will just teach you how to mask your presence, which is the most crucial of all these abilities."

In general, Valery strongly believed that learning how to conceal a Force signature was one of the most important things young Jedi should learn.

"I believe I understand the mission, our approach, and what I must learn before we arrive. All that remains is the question about this--"

Valery tilted her head when she watched him reach for a training lightsaber and seemed to think about it for a moment. Normally, giving a student a lightsaber before they had crafted their own was not something she'd do — it was too risky and not exactly appropriate, as the crafting process was a special moment. Jand, however, was one of few Padawans she felt a lot more confident about when it came to these things.
"We don't really have lightsabers laying around, so..." she reached down to her belt and removed one of her two lightsabers, which she offered to him. "...you'll use one of mine."

Finally, she made sure the projector table was turned off and gestured for him to follow her, as she began making her way over to the shuttles. Most of them were specific models acquired for the Jedi, but one large civilian shuttle stood out. The ramp lowered, and Valery would guide him inside. "What I'll teach you is called Force Concealment, or Force Stealth," Valery began as she sat down in the cockpit and began preparing for take-off. "There are multiple ways to do it — you can shrink your presence down to where it's hard to detect, or you can dissipate it into the environment around you. Either way, the purpose is to keep other Force-sensitives from sensing you. It's useful for infiltration, catching others by surprise or even to avoid conflict completely."

She turned to him to see whether he had any questions already.

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

The revelation from the Jedi Master herself, about being a Jedi Shadow in the past, confirmed some of what Jand had heard.

He listened, gray eyes studied the Keshian, as the explanation was provided. The shadows weren't as clandestine now, it seemed, which would explain the rumors. Though it was the capacity to learn how to hide his presence that caught Jand's attention, as it would prove to be a viable skill in most situations, and learning from one of the Jedi Shadows personally sounded optimally suited to the prospect.

Jand relished the opportunity to prove his capability.

The young Nagai was a fast learner, for the most part, and prided himself on giving his all for his mentors.

However, Jand's usually neutral demeanor shifted, as the Jedi Master answered his query about the training lightsaber. He was a shocked, somewhat, and his eyebrows raised as one of Valery Noble's personal lightsabers was unclipped from belt and held out in offering. That, in and of itself, was a grand display especially in Nagai culture; to willingly offer another your own weapon, it could be seen as a sign of absolute trust, as for a Nagai a weapon was life. So, Jand placed the training lightsaber onto the holo-table, before he swallowed and looked back to the offered weapon:

"I-I thank you, Master Noble," Jand said slowly, as he reached out with both hands and accepted the lightsaber hilt. He held it delicately on his palms, as he nodded a bow and pulled it closer to inspect. There had been no hesitation or underlying discomfort with her title that time. "I will protect your weapon with my life, and use it to my fullest combat potential against the Sith, I promise."

The craftsmanship was undeniable, the design unique and yet suitable to the owner, and Jand began to notice some details up close. The phobium emitter, the phrik emitter guards, with the telltale colorization of that metal, and the interlaced electrum throughout the design. It was a fine weapon, one made through a Jedi Master's careful eye and use of the Force, and Jand felt honored to wield it. And, perhaps with overcautious protectiveness, Jand carefully placed the lightsaber onto the clip of his belt, where the heavier hilt felt comfortable.

Then it was time to move.

As the Jedi Master deactivated the holo, motioned for him to follow and started to walk, Jand was close behind. The traversal toward the shuttles was quick, the landing bays ideally placed near the briefing rooms, and a civilian vessel ahead lowered a ramp. That would be their transport. Jand didn't hesitate and walked into the interior, as he listened to Valery Noble explain the mentoring to come.

Jand sat in the co-pilot seat, though in truth he couldn't really pilot.

It just seemed appropriate to listen attentively.

"I believe I understand," Jand said in response to the Jedi Master's informative words about Force Stealth. The notion was simple, but the Padawan suspected it would be tricky to achieve. Still, he would do his best to learn as well as possible before they arrived. "I feel that shrinking my presence might yield the best results. Based on your explanation, it reminds me of some of my Nagai meditation training, where I was encouraged to channel my focus into the very tip of my weapon... to become one with the sword, to become the eye of its attack, and to extend beyond my physical self to make it part of me."

It felt like a natural development, at least.

A balance, for something new and something known, which might very well provide the results needed.

"Perhaps I can use a similar method, by compressing my presence like that?"

As Jand spoke, he strapped into the seat, prepared for departure. There was an underlying excitement, a want to prove himself, but he also maintained composure and outward calm...

After offering him her lightsaber, Valery noticed the shift in the boy's demeanor — it was very much a sign of trust that she gave it, but she hadn't expected it to be so meaningful to him. Perhaps she should have, considering his upbringing, but either way, it brought a soft smile to Valery's lips.

"I will protect your weapon with my life, and use it to my fullest combat potential against the Sith, I promise."

"I have no doubt about it. Just be careful because its weight distribution is a bit different. As... I'm sure you've already noticed." She flashed a knowing smirk and watched him clip the weapon to his belt. Valery had no doubt in his abilities to use it properly, and she actually hoped that it would help him learn something new. As much as training lightsabers felt similarly, it was still different to know the weapon you're wielding can actually do what it was designed for.

It came with great responsibility and required self-control.

Within the cockpit of the shuttle, everything was prepared for take-off, so Valery requested permission to depart and took off once she received clearance. The shuttle went up through the atmosphere and soon broke free of the planet's gravitational field.

"That's actually a very helpful way of looking at it," Valery said after he explained something similar in idea he had learned through his Nagai upbringing. "But rather than focusing it on your blade, shrink your entire presence down into your core. The center of being through which the Force flows out through your body, and into the environment," she explained.

"If you get really close to Force users, they might still be able to sense you, but at distance, you will not stand out anymore. Just remember the Force can also alert people in different ways — if your presence doesn't alert them, any action you perform that causes danger to them can ripple through the Force and still warn them. Be aware of it and never believe yourself to be immune or undetectable. Be ready to change your plans at any moment." It was a crucial skill Jedi Shadows were tested on before even being allowed to start their training — their decisiveness and ability to think themselves through really tense situations.

Behind enemy lines, you were always at risk, after all.

"Try it now while we're still on our way, and your exercise will be to maintain it. The tricky part of Force Stealth is not to use it, but to use it passively for extended amounts of time."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

The starship ascension through atmosphere and into space was a moment that caused Jand to sit quietly.

Jand had never been a capable pilot, he didn't want to risk distraction, especially when the hull was prone to rapid speed against ozone friction. That seemed to be no issue, however, and soon the Jedi were on their way, with the Jedi Master deftly at the controls. When Valery Noble began to explain the method of Force Stealth, Jand listened closely, as he nodded to her words slowly. It seemed the comparison to Jand's meditation had been a good starting point, which would help the process, as he would mentally realign his focus from the blade to his inner-self.

As the Jedi Master went on to explain the intricacies of the ability, the Padawan continued to remain silent, absorbing every detail and word. The reality of having to learn the skill en route to the Sith was not lost on Jand, nor did he want to disappoint a mentor, so his focus was steeled and his concentration at incredible levels - especially for his age.

"Even the smallest rock creates a ripple on the waves," Jand said quietly, in response to the warning from Jedi Master Noble. "I have heard it said by my family, although it was in relation to wounds from a foil sword... but it seems comparable an analogy."

Nonetheless, it was time to attempt the skill.

Jand breathed in slowly, closed his eyes, and focused on making his connection to the Force as small as possible.

He imagined a light in his mind, one that radiated, and then began to... dull it, draw it in, lessen the glow.

"I believe I have done it, Master Noble."

Ironically, Jand's connection to the Force - which wasn't impressive by any means, compared to others - proved somewhat easier to compress and conceal within himself. In some ways, his difficulty in using the energy throughout the galaxy proved to make his task a lot easier, as he did the complete opposite by pushing it down with greater ease. And while a Jedi Master might still sense Jand's presence in the Force, there was no denying that the sensation was minute...

"I will hold this feeling, as you said, until otherwise told," Jand said as he seemed to relax in the co-pilot chair. He had expected it to be harder, but he supposed it was the juxtaposition of difficulty using the Force to begin with. "Was there anything you wished to ask me, while we travel, Master Noble?"

Jand figured the Jedi Master had the same right to be curious about him, as he had about her being a Jedi Shadow...

Valery had always believed that teaching out in the field was more rewarding than covering lessons purely in classrooms, but to cover such a crucial ability on a mission that really required it was perhaps somewhat extreme. If he ended up struggling with it or failing, it could lead to them being detected and confronted before they were ready. But, given the trust she had in him, Valery had a feeling that it was going to be just fine.

They'd get through this.

"Even the smallest rock creates a ripple on the waves,"

Valery smiled again as another good analogy followed, and dipped her head,
"That captures it perfectly," Valery told him before she quietly watched him prepare and focus on the ability. If there was one benefit to putting him on the spot like this, it would be that he'd understand just how important it was to take this seriously and give it his best. Jand seemed like the type to always do that, but diamonds were still made under pressure, so she felt certain it would help.

After a few moments, she felt his presence shrinking and smirked a little — it was working
. "Very good, keep it up and it's unlikely we'll be discovered."

"Was there anything you wished to ask me, while we travel, Master Noble?"

"There is one thing I'd always like to know of any Jedi," she began. "A long time ago, our philosophy included learning something we call the Conquers & Honors — a set of guidelines on aspects of our lives we must conquer, and others we must honor. One of them is to Honor Honesty," Valery explained. "Its interpretation can be as simple as being honest towards others. But I always believed it also meant that Jedi should be honest with themselves, as proper self-reflection is the only way to move forward in life."

She turned her eyes to Jand, "Openly recognizing your strengths is easy, but what are the things you struggle with? What do you believe you must work on to be a better person or Jedi?"

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand continued to keep his mind focused on compressing his presence in the Force.

He also listened as the Jedi Master spoke, his gray eyes steady, as he processed the words and kept concentration.

Up until now, there had been no real mention of the concepts Master Noble spoke of, at least not ones taught to Jand in his short time at the Jedi Temple. Not thus far. The old philosophy was an interesting one, it sounded as though it were made to make each Jedi accountable to one another but also themselves, and that piqued Jand's interest.

Nagai society wasn't too dissimilar. He could relate to the brief introduction to the older concepts by the Jedi, anyway, and understood the importance of self-realization and introspection. Since he came from a warrior culture based around social status, it made sense that recognizing, overcoming and developing shortcomings was important in success for a clan. After all, a duelist that learned bad habits did not last long...

Jand paused.

Considered.

"My perception of lives, outside of close family circles, has been skewed. They are seen as worthless, little more than steps to use to elevate myself, as social standing and reputation mean everything to my people. From a young age, I was raised to have no scruples and to kill without care or conscience. Personal honor demands that within my society, it is the defining trait that every Nagai judges their life, and if one were to lose personal honor... well, it may only be returned with one's death."

There was a moment of hesitation, before Jand glanced toward the Jedi Master.

"I understand my culture, and the Jedi Order's belief systems, do not mix well. I once sought guidance from another Jedi, it proved helpful, and allowed me to begin changing my perspective," Jand's jaw muscles bunched as he looked forward again. "But I have a long way to go, I feel. The conflict may cause my difficult connection to the Force, as it was explained to me to link all living things, though that means little to my Nagai self."

Jand didn't often speak about his culture. He could list the names of those who he had on one hand.

"I do not see myself as requiring to be a better person, I am content with who I am and how I have been raised as a Nagai. But, in order to be a better Jedi, I must learn how to alter my perception of others, to find a way to... align my views and opinions of others. I am unsure how to do this presently, though I take time to consider and reflect, when I am able."

The Padawan swallowed, as he stared out the cockpit window.

"That is probably my biggest struggle. It is not so easily solved, I expect."

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle | Pergitor
Tag | Jand Talo Jand Talo

The question she asked him was one that many struggled to answer for themselves, both the young and the more experienced. It required brutal honesty and a constant focus on self-reflection without pride or ego getting in the way. Those who mastered it, in her opinion, were far more likely to make a difference in the Galaxy as Jedi and typically made the best teachers as well. In Jand's case, it wasn't too much of a surprise that he had an answer ready.

His culture, while conflicting with the Jedi path in certain ways, had other aspects to it that the Jedi did need.

"Awareness is the first step, and perhaps the most important. With something in mind that you wish to achieve, you can always accomplish it as long as you really commit to it," Valery said with a soft smile, but she understood that he knew this as well. "It's just going to take hard work and maybe a lot of time as well."

The bleeping of her control panel drew her eyes away and back to her instruments — the ship was approaching Pergitor, so they were about to drop from Hyperspace. Valery took back control of the ship and briefly glanced at Jand, "I'm taking us down and into the spaceport. From there, why don't you take the map and plot our route?" she asked to give him a small challenge under oversight to handle.

His more logical way of thinking made it quite an ideal task for him, she figured.

Valery then brought the ship out of hyperspace, and immediately set a course for the capital city's spaceport. With their registry as a civilian shuttle, they were granted access without any trouble and soon touched down in the large hangar. Droids moved in for a small maintenance check, and Valery lowered the ramp so they could begin their mission together.

"Are you ready?"

ValSword.png

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand held no delusions about his predicament, he understood that there was conflict in his life as a Nagai Jedi. The words shared by the Jedi Master made sense, awareness was the most vital to overcoming an obstacle, and the underlying message seemed to indicate that Jand would be permitted that time to find answers. That was appreciated, since he had - essentially - upended his life to seek out the Jedi Order, and to return to his home as a failure would be an incalculable loss to his personal honor...

"I will continue to seek the answers," Jand said with a nod. "I know they are there. As you say, time."

It wasn't long after that the navcomputer alerted them to imminent arrival. With a deep inhale, Jand took a moment to reinforce his hold on his presence, to maintain the compressed state, so the Jedi would be able to approach the Sith more effectively. There was some excitement, a reasonable amount, but tempered by years of combat experience despite Jand's young age.

He was Nagai, after all.

Master Noble mentioned the map and suggested Jand take charge on their route. He nodded again, as he reached out and activated one of the console panels, where he began to study the associated layout of the spaceport and connecting city constructs. It was impossible to memorize the entire layout of the inner city space, but like any civilized construction, there were common identifiers - not to mention the information that had been passed on by the informant.

That allowed Jand to find a suitable path.

One that avoided the larger traffic ways, affording the pair some back alley passages, but skirted the more open spaces of the city proper to avoid deserted or troublesome areas. There was little doubt in Jand's mind that - like any place - there were undesirables that lurked in the shadows, thieves and murderers, and they would likely be on the outskirts waiting for not expecting travelers. As the descent continued, Jand looked over to his fellow Jedi...

"I believe I have a suitable route," He said as he outlined the path on the map, the touch lighting up the way as his finger moved. "Skirting the main portion of city, passing through less dense traffic and crowded areas, but avoiding straying too far into abandoned areas to avoid trouble."

By the time the Jedi touched down in the ship, Jand had put the route to memory. He also memorized the immediate areas around the path, in case alternate plans were needed, and to avoid being completely unaware of their surroundings. Preparation was key, in most things, and the Padawan suspected the task was something of a test - so he wanted to do well.

"I need one moment."

Jand stood from the co-pilot chair, walked into the interior of the ship, and spared a moment to seek out a supply crate. Within he found some nondescript clothing, which he quickly changed into, to conceal his being a Jedi or wearing the identifiable robes. Jand closed the crate, turned and approached the Jedi Master, as he slipped her borrowed lightsaber into the confines of a jacket he wore over his casuals.

"I am ready. We exit, then head west for three blocks, before going northwest."

With his preparation done, Jand fell into line with Master Noble, and disembarked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom