Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonialism: What could go wrong?

So, one thing that's sort of bothered me for a little while now, and please, do feel free to disagree, is the map. Not so in terms of aesthetics, but more so how territorial claiming goes. Dominions are all fine and such, but you can only take territories in your immediate vicinity, treating the map as if it is a land locked nation state, having to gobble every little piece.

This does make sense, but the fact majors are restricted to territories around them is a bit, well, off, given we have spaceships. I think arguably major factions should be able to colonise distant systems. IC, logistically major factions should be able to, given the advanced navies they field, and the fact most systems are relatively self sustainable (Not that any gives a rats about logistics, but that's a separate rant.)

I think it gives the map a bit more interest and flair, however I do also understand that there is the potential for this mechanism to be abused. So as such, here's a few suggestions.

1. Lock it from behind a mandate. Make it so it's a balanced mandate. For example, you can colonise anywhere on the board, but at the same time, you're restricted to two doms a month.
2. Limit it. Limit the colonisation feature, based on size. Make it so a major faction has to have at least ten or so hexes until they can start claiming territory.
3. Put range limits. Have it so if you're in Wild Space, you can't just go and claim the Unknown Regions, or in the Outer Rim, in ORC territory you can't dom by TSE.

Would love to hear some general thoughts on this.

I'd suggest for this mandate that;

If a Major Faction attempts to dominion/colonise the world of a active minor faction [with at least 5 individual PC writers] the dominion should be immediately considered a rebellion or invasion. Which, allows minors to defend their only world and not get forced into a Majors story even when outside their borders.

Just a thought.

Myra

M
I think it would also help out non-traditional factions too. Like a giant corporation with holdings spread across the galaxy, or a similar set up with a Force User order who have bubbles of protection around their temples/academies.

I agree with this, It's something I thought of myself but never really took the time to flesh it out.

I think it's the only real progression for the map game from the more Neo-Feudalism based system we have now.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Could you still map break?

How would Fleet support work?

Like, if there is no where to drive your fleet out to these remote locations, would that hex just get steamrolled during an Invasion because no fleet or like, bad traffic made you late to the party?
What if your remote hex gets surrounded by other colors? Would you have to make a treaty or something to drive your ships through somebodies backyard and like, risk an ambush?

What about the Holonet satellite network? Do these remote systems just not get the news/internet or do they pay every linking hex in between them and home base for relay service? Better up your encryption, you intelligence types. :p

...Anyway.

I don't see it. Pass. :(

Jay Scott Clark said:
Like, if there is no where to drive your fleet out to these remote locations, would that hex just get steamrolled during an Invasion because no fleet or like, bad traffic made you late to the party?

Lets be real, metagaming in invasions has never stopped people from wanting or trying to bring massive fleet formations about.

Jay Scott Clark said:
What if your remote hex gets surrounded by other colors? Would you have to make a treaty or something to drive your ships through somebodies backyard and like, risk an ambush?
See the Treaty Ports in China during the 18th century for a historical analogy. It'd be tough luck, and if you want to expell that cancerous tumour there, invading would be the way to go.

Jay Scott Clark said:
What about the Holonet satellite network? Do these remote systems just not get the news/internet or do they pay every linking hex in between them and home base for relay service? Better up your encryption, you intelligence types.
That's not a problem, that's just good RP potential.

[member="Robogeber"]
We have this rule on the books.

4. If a Major Faction's Influence Cloud is completely severed into two or more smaller clouds by an Invasion or any other method, the Major Faction loses the cloud(s) furthest away from it's Capital Planet and only retains the cloud it's Capital Planet resides in.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Well here's the proposition then. Change that rule. Kill it, if you have to. Clearly the interest expressed within this thread is enough to warrant for some discussion about the adoption of this new map game mechanic.

Revamp the map game from just collecting dust in and around the planets right around you? Why should some Core world group ala the CIC and Corellia, not become frontiersmen and carve the great unknown into civilisation? Why shouldn't the unbridled hordes of Mandalorians not sack and lord over the cosmopolitan centre of the galaxy?

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Perhaps a limit on the number of hexes that can be connected without also being connected to the capital.

Or something like unlimited allies for someone attacking said disconnected hexes, to represent their relative vulnerability since you dont have clear lines of communication with the capital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom