Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cloud breaking and Map clearing idea

Would the community like to see Established Minir factions ne able to break Major Faction clouds.

• Total voters

sabrina

Tefka said:
Who runs this check-in? Who decides when it's time to do the check-in? The Faction Admin?

Who holds the Faction Admin accountable? There seems to be very little accountability there, as well as very little regulation.
I thought the was new rule on checking involving ships, could it not be linked?
If I am wrong I will think of another way, to keep your admin time down. As I do appreciate what volunteering to run a sight, must be a pain in the donkey.

Qae Shena said:
[member="Tefka"]

not the dude proposing this, but some ideas:
1) No Faction Aid. Goes both ways.
2) Leadership of a Minor Faction must be Faction Owner, or other convening authority as approved by Roleplay Judges before the Rebellion is launched.
3) Due to the small and compact nature of a Minor Faction, no - it means that while a Minor can attack any target, they can also be counter-attacked anywhere, leading into...
4) Should a Minor Faction lose, the defending Major Faction will be permitted one engagement on a 'holding' belonging to the Minor Faction. One example would be the Vagrant Fleet (old, but easy to explain) - they attack and lose, the defenders would then attack their deep-space flotilla.
5) Add one simple caveat: To qualify for Rebellion, a Minor Faction must register on a 'rebellion' list; 5 unique writers and one month after registry with staff, a Minor Faction may then engage in Rebellions. This prevents the idea of trigger happy factions just wrecking someone's day on a whim. It also keeps separate the smaller Minor Factions that don't want to engage in warfare.

1) Not sure if I'd be okay with that. You're taking an entire section of rules and ruling them obsolete because it's a Rebellion. Faction Aid is huge because it regulates the amount of people coming in and out who aren't members of the Faction, leading into...

2) Minor Faction (5 members) invades the Republic. Everyone in the One Sith joins this Minor Faction mid-invasion and swells to 50 members.

OR

3) Minor Faction (5 members) spreads word that it plans to invade the Republic. Everyone in the One Sith joins this Minor Faction ahead of schedule and swells to 50 members.

Now they can attack...

...anywhere they karking want, according to this proposal, and with more members than the Major Faction would normally have. This proposal would see a fall in normal invasions and a rise in proxy wars whose consequences for Minor Factions, should they lose, would be ultimately negligent.

[member="Tefka"]

A) A minimum amount of unique active writers on a weekly or monthly check-in, much like what the major factions have to perform. Faction Leaders are responsible for reporting their activity towards the Mod team or Administrator, or a designated Minor Faction Judge.
B) A minimum amount of active time in which the faction has done faction threads with or without other factions that did not involve partying and drinking into the night every time. Mobilization, arms dealing, infrastructure building, diplomatic contacts and the like would be stuff that counts.
C) If the community lives up to its name of caring about story above all else, then also add in a popular vote by Major Faction Leaders on whether or not to give the minor faction the right to mess around on the map. Adds some OOC and IC diplomacy into the mix while making sure only the factions that will provide a good story be allowed to mess with the map.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
[member="Tefka"] - I was operating under a previous implication it would be a 5v5 fight.

One Rebellion at a time, 5v5 for both sides. Prevents swelling, makes it more skill-based.

sabrina

[member="Tefka"] I see your point on this, may be have cap on people allowed to join on the minor faction side. To prevent the a zerg, on this style of attack.

Qae Shena said:
One Rebellion at a time, 5v5 for both sides. Prevents swelling, makes it more skill-based.
I will not provide an option to cloud-break - nor negate, or otherwise change - a Major Faction's influence cloud by choice of a 5v5 fight.

sabrina

[member="Tefka"] I would agree on this, as major factions should have the advantage as they are major. So I say limit what the minor faction can bring, but they have the element of ic surprise. Though everything should be done on a ooc limit first

sabrina said:
but they have the element of ic surprise. Though everything should be done on a ooc limit first
Yup. If we did it all IC, it'd be fun for Factions in the planning stage the first month.

And then the plans get executed.

And then the LOA forum will begin to swell at a rapid pace.

[member="Tefka"]
This is only a not-thought-out idea, but maybe if said person is a member of that minor faction than they cannot qualify for the invasion if they belong to another major faction?

If someone was to see me, for example, join some minor faction to invade the Republic, then they would be free to report me and have me kicked out of the invasion. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but it's better than the limited engagement rule. Allow for allies as negotiated (the currently invasion on Manaan has no allies as per negotiations, so as seen there is a precedence of no allies being allowed in an invasion) and scrap the mandatory no-allies. There was another idea I had but I forgot it between singing "I'm on a boat" and now.

Darth Vitium said:
This is only a not-thought-out idea, but maybe if said person is a member of that minor faction than they cannot qualify for the invasion if they belong to another major faction?
Good point, and Staff reached that same conclusion.

Then we asked ourselves, "Well, what about alts?"

[member="Tefka"]
Only allow one character per writer in these instances that involve a minor faction? I believe I've seen a few invasions that already go by this rule of thumb (Again, Manaan), or at least require that the alts be limited to 2 or 3 (Such as with the Empress Teta invasion). If not a forced thing, it should be a requirement to discuss this during conversations between the Major and Minor factions in these instances.

Faction Aid usually regulates that by force, [member="Darth Vitium"], and it was proposed earlier that we negate them altogether.

We could, but with Minor Factions it becomes increasingly harder to track, even if members are self-regulating. I want you guys to spend more time role-playing, less time checking each other's accounts.

Would it be possible to create a new classification of minor faction?

Just off the top of my head here, a "rebel" faction could have certain criteria to meet and essentially go through the same process as going major; except that they're intentionally staying minor with the intent of rebelling.

That way, folks like the Vagrant Fleet or the original Rebel Alliance (who wanted to stay minor, if my memory is correct) get the nod as being established enough to engage in rebellions where as new minor factions X, Y, and Z have to wait a month and get five unique writers.

Faction aide? I'd say during Rebellions, give both sides half as many ally slots as invasions. The offense is minor faction, so rationalize it as limited resources or something. The defense is being caught off guard by a rebellion, so they wouldn't have its full might.

And then, since the proposed ideas would essentially allow a Rebellion to strike anywhere, add a detail about what happens if they fail. If the major faction defeats the minor, the Rebellion will be considered "crushed" and said minor is demoted to the same standing as all minor factions for x span of time. (Loss of resources during the fight and all, recovery. Etc.)

I don't know what can be done about alts, save for saying point blank that alt-padding a rebel faction isn't tolerated and if it seems like that's happening then there will be consequences. Traditional abuse and suffer mantra.

It seems if this is going to work we are going to have to how rehash rebel factions. The thing is we've tried Rebel factions already. But if we do give a new type of faction the ability to break influence clouds, they'll need something to lose, be able to pass an application process, and fall essentially into the same guidelines as major factions when conducting their 'invasion' or whatever you would call it to wrestle loose control of planet from a major faction.

I think I have an easier solution to "What happens when the minor faction loses":

They fail to escape, or are forced to hide on the planet they attempted to invade. Now it's the major factions job if they so choose to hunt them down and destroy them/arrest them/convert them, or be negligent enough to allow them to escape.

As for how they can strike, the easier rationale behind it is this: if you're a minor faction, in all likelihood you don't have a centralized base of operation because, hey, you're a minor! Therefore perhaps Minor Factions can attack because they are loose in their mobility, small enough to not worry about the constraints of a major faction. They don't have the same ties.

Perhaps minor factions can only attack the border?

I'm not sure, but I personally like the idea of a rebel faction in the case of losing being forced into Guerilla strategies until either weeded out, or they give up and find a way home.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Perhaps 'dev threads' of a sort can be carried out by the rebelling factions to prove that they're not 'flash-in-a-pan' factions. Once the dev threads are completed--thereby establishing the faction's presence and power in a certain system--a skirmish takes place in which there may be a restricted number of participants from both sides. This would be a way to verify that a minor faction is active and would recognize a team that puts in the work to gain support in the local systems. It would also explain how the major faction would have an unpopular presence and not be capable of dispatching as large a force as it would like.

And alts shouldn't be allowed anyway, whether in major faction invasions or rebellion skirmishes, in my opinion.

[member="Tefka"]

1. Established = 3 months, 5 unique writers, and a form filled out declaring intent to perform rebel actions.
2. Invasions must follow current rules. Minor faction owner/admin must give notice to Major faction admins and establish parameters for a "win".
3. If Minor loses a minimum 150 post dev or series of threads equaling 150 post before they can attempt another skirmish/invasion. A skirmish does not incur this draw back nor break a cloud area as per current rules.

4. If abuse is found as in the case of "stacking the deck" with members of an opposing major faction. Report it and deal with it on a case by case basis.

These are just ideas and completely up for adjustment. It's just what i had off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom