Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Can I Have This Dance?

Amani and Alicio's Apartment, Coruscant
Two Days before the Ball

The lilting tone of a soft waltz leaked through the open balcony window of a cozy Coruscanti apartment.

Alicio held Amani close to himself, barely-concealed joy threatening to break his face apart into a stupid smile. One hand wrapped around the small of his partner's back, his other clasped her palm to the side. His eyes never left Amani's.

"One-two-three, One-two-three..." The Count whispered, stepping slowly in time, prompting Amani to do the same. Some of his first memories had been of dancing with his mother and sisters. The three-beat pattern of the waltz was ingrained into his brain, until it was second nature.

It had been a week since they had traveled to Mirial together, and Amani had shared her culture with him. It was only fair he returned the favor. Any celebration of the Alderaanian Great Houses meant two things; socializing with the nobility, and dancing. But there was only so much preparation one could make for the first item. Hence, the sway the two lovers found themselves in that night.

"Just keep your eyes on me," Alicio encouraged, chancing a grin as he led. "Trust."

A thought visibly crossed the nobleman's face as he gazed at Amani. The corners of his mouth bunched. "Thanks for agreeing to come to this with me. I don't think I could go alone." He let the tension leave his face.

"This is much easier sober, isn't it?"

- Amani Serys Amani Serys -

Last edited:
Amani hated dancing.

She had never been good at it. Despite being capable of superhumanly graceful gymnastics, the application of a bit of music was all it took to turn her into an awkward, clumsy mess. One of the Force’s cruelest ironies, she considered it.

But even the most jaded dancer would find their spirits lifted by the glee that seemed to radiate off Alicio Organa in this moment. Amani grinned back, though her gaze was constantly flicking between his face and her feet in careful study. She told him she would go to every Alderaanian ball he asked her to. Now it was time to live up to that. One hand was on his shoulder, the other held in his own away from them. Amani caught sight of his tattoo, linked up with her own, and her smile widened.

Unfortunately, it was enough of a distraction that she stumbled a bit and botched the timing, “Dammit. Sorry,” She muttered, her tone genuinely apologetic, and a bit sheepish. The mirialan readjusted, following his lead back into time with the music.

She could do that. With him, trust was something Amani had in spades. A deep breath, then her eyes settled back on his, “Of course. I’m… excited,” Whatever concerns she had about her own performance, that was very much true. Their vacation to Mirial had been a dream come true, and the thought of getting to exchange both of their cultures was something she had been looking forward to ever since.

“I dunno,” Amani giggled, “Maybe a bit of liquid courage is what I need, after all. I only remember falling onto you exactly once that night,” An impish glimmer struck the blue of her eyes.

Even through the stumble, Alicio's mood didn't shift. He only suppressed a laugh, and shook his head. "Don't apologize. You're doing great." In stark contrast to Amani, Alicio genuinely loved dancing. In all other cases, he was a deeply intellectual person, usually too stuck in his own mind for his own good.

But he felt a genuine connection when he danced with Amani. Something that went beyond his brain, and touched his soul. Two people, moving as one (minus the odd hiccup) sharing in the joy of music together. A meaningful conversation, given physical form.

“Maybe a bit of liquid courage is what I need, after all. I only remember falling onto you exactly once that night.”

"Well, there will likely be plenty of alcohol at the ball, if we need it," Alicio responded, before his eyes reflected her impish glimmer. "And... Only once?" He batted his eyes not-so-innocently.

They continued to move, shifting from foot to foot, in a simple three-step pattern. Alicio gave the moment time to breathe, before speaking with a bit of hesitancy. "You know, we don't have to dance. Plenty of nobles gather around the edges of the floor and talk. Like... Lady da Silva. We could probably spend half the event just listening to her gossip."

Alicio shrugged, pretending to seem non-committal. "Besides, there's something else I want to show you on Alderaan, if we leave early."

Last edited:
Amani smiled gratefully at the compliment, before adjusting. She redoubled her efforts, taking the Count's advice and going with the flow. Alicio has some ammunition of his own at the ready, when she tried her hand at teasing, "Shadduuup," The mirialan snickered, smushing her face into his shoulder for a moment, "And I don't think getting wasted at our first ball is a great publicity move for me." It was a joke, but it hit at something she found herself thinking about a bit more, now that the day was approaching. She sat on those thoughts by herself a while longer.

"No," Amani quickly replied, "I want to dance with you. Really. Just gotta… get used to it first." That's what this was for, after all. Valery had some advice of her own to offer as well, which the mirialan did her best to remember now. Alicio enjoyed dancing. That meant Amani was going to pummel herself into enjoying it as well, if need be.

Thankfully, he made it a much smoother transition than that.

"I'm sure Lady da Silva will make for an interesting sidebar, though." Amani smirked, catching herself before she could make another slip-up. It was getting a bit more familiar now. Easy enough, right? As long as it didn't' get any more complicated than this, she was golden…

"Iiiis this 'something else' a secret?" Amani asked with wide, curious eyes.

Alicio chuckled quietly to himself as Amani pressed herself into him for a moment, reveling in his victory. "Yeah, you're probably right," he continued, catching the subtle motions of thoughts passing behind her eyes, and wondering at their meaning.

Amani's insistence that they would, in fact, dance together brought a relieved smile to his face, one that he barely bothered trying to hide- she had gotten too good at guessing his moods. "It'll be fun, I swear. And... if it isn't, then we can stop." Alicio smiled, looking performatively off to the side. "I don't even like dancing all that much."

All jokes aside, he did want to share Alderaanian culture with Amani. But not at her expense.

The Jedi tried to pry further into his plans, and was met with a warm smile. "Naturally. I have to keep a mysterious aire about me, somehow." His pace in the waltz slowed just a hair, as his face fell a touch. "Um... I haven't been in a while, but... it's one of my favorite places. Well worth the surprise."

"Okay. Ready to try a dip?"

"I don't even like dancing all that much."

"Oh really?" Amani rolled her eyes and snickered, "Not exactly the most convincing lie I ever heard." He loved it. There was a different part of him that shined through when dancing. They may not have to have all the same hobbies, but this one seemed special enough to him to warrant the effort. Alicio's joy was not going to come at the expense of her feeling a little overly-embarrassed. Amani would get over that part in time, "It will be." She said softly, fiddling with his collar.

Her attempts to learn more were impeded by the Count's need for mystique, "Naturally," She grinned, "Well I'm looking forward to it, then." Her curiosity would remained unsatisfied until then, but if Alicio was to be trusted, the wait would make it all the better. Her grin melted into an ambivalent look, simultaneously concerned yet resolute to try, "Ohhh okay. Uh, do I- what to I do? Do I do something? Tell me what to do."

Last edited:

"Okay," the Count revealed, quirking his lip up as Amani messed with his clothes. "Maybe I like dancing a little bit."

His dancing partner's sudden unease-slash-enthusiasm was enough to coax another smile from the Count. "Don't worry, we'll go slow. I'll talk you through it."

Alicio deliberately extricated his grip from Amani's, letting his palm travel between her shoulder blades, holding her waist a little firmer. "Put one hand on my arm, the other around my shoulders," he instructed, without a hint of impatience. "Now, I'm going to lower you down. Make sure all your weight is on the foot closest to me. And... hold on."

Slowly, gently, the nobleman took a step forward, and dipped Amani towards the ground, his face traveling only a breath away from hers, for a few beautiful seconds. And, barring any extraneous flailing from the shorter Mirialan, Alicio would pull her back up, until they were practically hugging, forehead-to-forehead.

"Just a little, hm?" She teased.

Her confidence quickly went out the window, however, as they transitioned into a new move. Alicio continued to make the process a bit less overwhelming with his guidance, which Amani accepted with an eager shake of her head.

"Like this?" She asked, doing as the Count suggested. A hand slid down to his arm, while the other rested around his shoulders. The mirialan pursed her lips, and became a little stiffer, as Alicio did some shifting of his own. Then, she was dipped downward, holding on tight, keeping her weight on the nearest foot, and letting him take the lead. At first Amani wiggled a bit in his grasp, but as the dip reached its climax, and she looked up at Alicio, she eased. Her gaze locked onto his, and their soft exhales intermingled. The moments were few, but quietly romantic, causing a subtle heat to flood into her cheeks.

But just like that, they pulled back up, no worse for wear. Closer together now, and Amani had to remember to take another breath, before she smiled up at Alicio, "Smooth moves, Senator."

"...How did I do?"

Amani performed her half of the dip admirably.

Alicio smiled broadly as they went down together, keeping that tension between them as long as he could before pulling her up. He held her close after, halting their dance practice and just being there with her. "Thank you," he said proudly. "Are you sure you haven't done this before? That was excellent for a first time."

The Count let his lips barely touch Amani's forehead. "I know... dancing isn't usually your thing. But this means a lot to me. So... thank you."

Alicio nodded encouragingly, bringing Amani into a slower sway as they wound down for the night "At this pace, you'll be a pro in no time. That dance floor won't know what hit it."
Alicio-Divider.png

NEW ALDERA, ALDERAAN
DARRUS ALDE MEMORIAL BALLROOM

Despite his previous assurances to Amani that everything would be fine, Alicio did have a bit of nervous energy in his step as he walked with his date to the entrance of the ballroom. The doors, tall and open invitingly, admitted fancily-dressed nobles in wide gowns and ruffled shirts. The sounds of sweeping orchestral music, muted conversation, and spirited laughter erupted from beyond the threshold of the door, as members of the Great Houses gathered to spill the latest hot gossip, dance their troubles away, and gather donations towards Alderaan's many relief efforts.

It was a little intimidating, even for him. Alicio was a count, but more importantly, he was a bit of a wallflower, with a reputation for lingering like a blue and black shadow in the corners of the room, as House Organa's dreary son. But today, in a shocking twist, he diverted from his usual color scheme. Instead, he wore purple.

He wouldn't hide. Not today.

He looked down at Amani, holding out his arm for her, a nervous, but excited grin on his face.

"Ready?"

"Guess I'm a natural," Amani smirked, her tone laced thick with sarcasm. Her enjoyment, though, was genuine. It wasn't so bad after all. Dare say enjoyable even, with a bit of practice. Add in Alicio's affirmations, and she was feeling more confident already. As they slowed down, the mirialan shut her eyes, pushing softly against his lips on her head.

"Thank you,"
It was somewhat ironic that professional wallflower Alicio Organa was getting her to come out of her shell, but the effort was appreciated. And in turn, Amani would put in whatever effort she could to make it worthwhile.

All of that said, there was a difference between rehearsal and the real deal. Even Alicio was recognizing that, she could tell. Being here in front of the grandiose display for herself, Amani's fish-out-of-water complex only grew. She had been to events not too dissimilar in the past, but this one carried a certain gravitas with it.

There were first impressions to be made, ideally none of them racked by faux pas. Especially considering it would likely not just reflect poorly on her, but on the man beside her as well. There was already going to be enough to worry about on that front.

Worries that, right up until now, she had kept secret. Their relationship was likely not a surprise to most here tonight, seeing as they hadn't made any effort to hide it for some time. But that didn't necessarily mean it would sit well with everyone. Or maybe it would, and she was just being paranoid.

"Ready, but-" Amani smoothed out her dress and looked at him, finally speaking her mind, "Hey, so, I was wondering… You don't think anyone is going to have a… a problem, do you? With us?" She pursed her lips, before realizing there was no chance to back out of what was already said, "I just mean… You are a Count. An Organa. Not to mention the last male in your entire line. I'm uh… just some green common girl." If there were ever a time where it might matter, it would be in the arena of aristocratic politics. She wasn't Alderaanian. She wasn't of dynastic blood. It was something that she couldn't help but wonder about ever since getting involved in the high life became a possibility.

Alicio sensed hesitance in Amani as she answered. He responded by inclining his head down to her, focusing on her entirely as the brightly-lit Alderaanian street faded into the background. He frowned as she did, looking down between them as he thought about his answer.

"You're not just a 'green common girl'," Alicio finally said, the steel of conviction in his tone. "You are Amani Serys. War Hero, Jedi Knight, Chief Healer of the Jedi Order." He squeezed her arm affirmatively. "What you've done, who you are, is worth more than any title. The opinions of any prissy nobles who don't see that don't matter."

Alicio slowly guided them forward, towards the door. "... But I think they'll see. I did."

After getting vetted at the entrance, Amani and Alicio were allowed entrance into the ballroom. The immediate sounds of ornate instrumentation from a live orchestra twisted coyly in the air, mirrored in the steps of dancers twirling around each other in complicated footwork. The corners of the room were pocked by circular tables, around which discussed various brightly dressed socialites, chatting about the years events, promoting their own charities, and spilling tea over their wine glasses. Smartly-dressed caterers bobbed and weaved around the area, dispensing beverages to anyone with an empty hand.

Everyone was human. Another stark contrast from Mirial.

It was all a bit overwhelming. Alicio hesitated at the door, noticing as a few heads turned their direction. Some looked a little surprised. Some smiled and nodded. A few began talking quietly amongst themselves.

He took a deep breath, tilted his chin a little higher, and walked in.

"Alright. First order of business," he murmured to his side. "Get drinks."

Amani sighed and nodded. Alicio gave the affirmations she was more or less expecting, and part of her almost wanted to refute them. Not because they were untrue, but because for so many in the upper echelons, the circumstances of one's birth outranked everything. She could be a war hero, and a prodigious healer, but there would always be those, at this level, who were most concerned with the fact that she was low-born, or with the implication that the future of the Organa line might be a bit on the green side. She wanted to believe him. He knew this arena better than she did.

"... But I think they'll see. I did."

That got Amani to look up again, and smile, "Okay. Yeah. I needed that… Thank you," She took Alicio's arm, and let him lead her in. The pep talk brought optimism, but it didn't quell all the nerves. The baroque magnitude of the ballroom itself was enough to capture her awe for a few long moments. But that attention was quickly pulled away by the unmistakable feeling of being watched. Sure enough, the ever-watchful eyes of gossipy aristocrats had found their way to the newly arrived couple. Their varied reactions noted with equal scrutiny. "You don't think us both wearing purple is too cutesy, do you?" She shot him a sheepish smile, the Count's face a welcome respite from the overload of their surroundings. Their attire was just one of her many trifling concerns, but the only one she said right now. At least the music was nice.

Amani stiffened, and moved as Alicio did, "Yes," She responded firmly. Maybe a bit of liquid courage really was what she needed after all. One of the caterers was coming near, and the mirialan raised a tentative, delicate hand to signal for a few drinks.

"You don't think us both wearing purple is too cutesy, do you?"

Alicio grew a smirk. "It's the perfect amount of cutesy," he asserted, even as he adjusted his coat. "Don't let them take the joy of matching outfits away from us."

After stepping into the gala, Amani waved a few fingers at a nearby caterer, who diverted from their path to pass the Jedi and the Organa glasses, each holding a small amount of red wine. Alicio palmed the glass, giving the waiter an appreciative look. "Thank you," he said kindly to the man, before surveying their new battleground.

"Oh," the Count suddenly exclaimed, jutting his chin at the corner of the room, at an older woman, speaking with animated hands to a small circle of Alderaanian elites. She finished whatever point she was making, making the entire group chuckle, save for one man, who appeared to be the butt of the joke. "Lady da Silva is here. And she's talking to... um... I think that's Adilena Alde, and... Someone from House Teraan." It was Alicio's turn to smile sheepishly. "I haven't kept up with Alderaanian politics recently. Sorry."

"So, what would you like to do first? I could introduce you Mrs. da Silva, we could tear up the dance floor... or find a nice, quiet corner table?"
Wherever she wanted to go, he would follow.

Even if that was right back out the front door.

Last edited:
“Good. Cause I like it, too,” Amani nodded, finding a soft smile. It was either this dress, courtesy of Valery, or one that evoked the Mirialan style. Given some of her concerns about the night, the latter felt like it was making too much of a statement for first impression. An glum perspective to have on her own culture, maybe, but it couldn’t be helped this time around. She ran a hand across her chest, which was exposed enough to reveal much of the electrical web that ran just beneath her skin.

As the waiter proffered their wine glasses, Amani pinched hers by the stem and immediately brought a taste to her lips. Mid-swallow she remembered to thank the man, doing so with a hurried nod. They were left alone again, though it wasn’t long before Alicio named off another group, “For shame,” She teased his imperfect knowledge. It was comforting, in a way; Recognizing that she wouldn’t be the only one in the dark.

With options laid out before her, Amani’s jaw went slack in ponderance, until she finally answered, “...Let’s chat for a bit, hm? Take some time to make an impression and finish these drinks before I embarrass myself on the dance floor,” The mirialan snickered. Her joke was self-deprecating, but her tone remained light. She shifted around on her feet, ready to move but preferring to let Alicio take the lead, “So, Lady da Silva- What should I be expecting?”

He scoffed at Amani's teasing, and after she decided their destination, began to walk them across the room, towards the small gathering of speaking nobles. Alicio rattled off a few facts in an easy tone. "Lady Lena da Silva. She's the matriarch of House da Silva, a smaller family with a villa outside the city. Their crest depicts a lone tree, covered in small birds. The da Silvas say it's to symbolize community, and the sharing of knowledge. Some people say it's because they're chatty." He chanced a smile. "At least, for Lady da Silva, that's true."

"She's... direct. But kind, I've found. Lives for these events."
Alicio took a small sip of his wine, a bit of a confidence-booster, before bringing them the rest of the way.

"-had it coming." Lady da Silva's shaking hands gestured quietly to the side, after the nobleman quickly retreating from the circle. "Someone had to knock him down a peg... or five. I swear, the egos on the Syrushes these days." She seemed to notice Alicio and Amani, and despite a permanent scowl, her deep brown eyes immediately lit up. "Oh, finally! Interesting people!" She hobbled up to the pair, entirely abandoning her previous group. "If it isn't glum little Organa! And the woman who caught him."

Alicio couldn't keep the grin from his face. "Lady da Silva. It's good to..."

"Oh, hush you," Lady da Silva interrupted, turning her attention to Amani, surveying her up and down. Alicio simply closed his mouth, the grin having yet to leave his face. "Wait your turn. I need to meet the person who took Count Hopeless off the market."

"So... who are you?"
She looked expectantly at the Mirialan.

Amani acknowledged each detail with a nod of her head, like she was memorizing them for a test. Though Alicio's comment on the da Silvas' loquacious nature coaxed a chuckle from the mirialan, and reminded her to lose some of the one-sided tension. Direct but kind- She much preferred that to the two-faced nature of many others on Lady da Silva's level. A reputation the woman immediately lived up to, brushing off the rest of her circle to treat with Alicio and Amani instead.

Or rather, just Amani. She practically did the same to Alicio not a moment later, pinning her curiosity solely on the mirialan. There was an expectant pause as Amani blinked and processed her response, "I, um- I'm Amani. Serys. I'm a knight in the New Jedi Order," Her gaze flicked around momentarily as she tried to figure out a proper greeting, before settling on a brief dip of her head, "It's ah, nice to meet you, Lady dа Silva," There was another pause, where she shook off her jitters, "Sorry, this is my first time at an event like this, I'm uh- Still getting used to it all."

Lady da Silva studied Amani's response like one might study a particularly interesting comic in the morning news, taking a sip of her own wine glass, before responding. "Oh, nonono, darling. I know who you are. Chief Healer of the Jedi Order, Jedi Council Member, so on and so forth. You and the Organa boy had quite the debut at that Coruscanti Gala. Very... exciting." She shot the Mirialan a knowing look, having seemingly completely discarded Alicio. He simply waiting patiently, looking just as confused as Amani likely felt. "You were all anyone could talk about for damn near three weeks back here, young Miss Serys."

The older woman scoffed. "It isn't every day that an offworld medic from who knows where woos the most eligible bachelor on Alderaan. Well, most eligible if he'd applied himself." She shot the Organa a dirty look. He suddenly found something else to look at.

"So... I'll ask again. Who is Amani Serys? There are dozens of debutantes here, each would be more than happy to join the ruling family. Each one trained from birth to run a House, each one the perfect picture of poise. What makes you a better match for that sorry, sappy Organa than any of them?"

"Lady da Silva," Alicio tried to interject, his tone becoming a bit sharper. "This isn't an interrogation. You can't just..."

"I can and I will, Your Excellency. Now, I've asked Miss Serys a question, let her answer."

Amani blinked, and flushed a darker shade of green. What the mirialan had assumed was a very simple question, she had apparently gotten wrong. And now she was far more self-conscious as they continued. To make it worse, Lady da Silva revealed that Amani was quite a popular topic of conversation following the gala on Coruscant. She could only presume it was less about the award of Chief Healer, and more about the drama between them and Inanna. At least, that was where her mind immediately went.

It was one thing after another, and whatever her intentions, Lady da Silva had managed to strike right at the core of Amani's insecurities tonight. Even referring to her home as who knows where struck a particular chord. Not only did it reinforce the idea that she was little more than the daughter of some alien farmer, but it also hit like a slap in the face, given the ruination that had struck Tython. Still far too fresh of a wound, reopened whether the Lady meant it or not.

"I- Um…" Amani swallowed, struggling to maintain eye contact, "Well-- He- I-" Any attempt to recompose herself faltered. She was falling apart, visibly uncomfortable with the sudden interrogation. What did she have that they didn't? Why was she more worthy of his time than any of them? Somewhere beneath it all, Amani had a proper answer, but she was incapable of voicing it now, "I-I don't know," She trailed off, "I don't know…" Her gaze cast shamefully downward; It was all she could do to hide the intense heat burning across her face.

Last edited:

Alicio frown only grew as he watched Amani. Lady da Silva's words seemed to have a profound effect on her, causing her to blush and look away. Alicio held onto her arm tightly, to remind her that he was there, his eyes growing colder.

"Well, it certainly isn't self-confidence," the lady pressed onward, seemingly oblivious to Amani's embattled emotions.

"Lena, that's enough." His tone was more biting than he intended. It caused the woman to look up at him curiously, before shifting her eyes back to Amani.

"No, I don't think it is," the noblewoman stated, appraising the blush in Amani's cheeks. "It seems like these questions have been on Miss Serys' mind for a while." She began to speak with her hands again, although her movements were slow. "So, what ugly little thoughts have you been hiding, Amani Serys? 'What will they think of me, an outsider? Am I worthy to be royalty?' Or maybe even 'he would be better off with someone else'. That would be dramatic."

Alicio had half a mind to ask Amani if she wanted to leave the dance entirely. If this was how she would be treated...

"My husband had many of the same thoughts. A fisherman from the Sanctuary Coast, he was. Dreadful in polite conversation." Lady da Silva drained her wine glass, looking at Amani with a glint in her eye.

Last edited:
"Well, it certainly isn't self-confidence,"

Amani frowned, deflating even further. Her hold on Alicio's arm had tightened into a death grip, like he was the only thing keeping her from running out of the ballroom entirely. Lady da Silva's questions felt less probing now, and more outright incendiary. Attacking her confidence, her inexperience, her very thoughts. It was made even worse by how accurate it was. The mirialan inhaled shakily, out of distress, embarrassment, and even anger now. She expected some people to give her a hard time, but for their first interaction to come out of the gate swinging, she was thrown completely off-guard. Especially after Alicio's assessment of the Lady's character had prepared her for less. Amani wanted to slink away under a rock somewhere.

It wasn't until Lady da Silva mentioned her husband, that the Jedi blinked, and slowly looked back up at her, "...Your husband?" She asked, her tone a bit cold, but cautiously curious, "...How'd that work out for him?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom