Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Calling all bounty hunters!!

How likely are you to be involved with bounty hunting on Chaos?

• I actively get involved with bounty hunting threads and other bounty hunting-related stories

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I sometimes get involved with bounty hunting threads and other bounty hunting-related stories

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I don’t get involved with bounty hunting threads and other bounty hunting-related stories

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have bounty toggle on, with hopes of being hunted in threads

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • I have bounty toggle on, even though I sometimes don’t want to be hunted in threads

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I have bounty toggle on, even though I do not want to be hunted in threads

• I actively post up new bounties in the marketplace, or search for new bounties in the marketplace

• I sometimes post up new bounties in the marketplace, or search for new bounties in the marketplace

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t post up new bounties in the marketplace, or search for new bounties in the marketplace

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I would very much be interested in new bounty hunting stories, opportunities, contracts, e.t.c.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I would possibly be interested in new bounty hunting stories, opportunities, contracts, e.t.c.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I would not interested in new bounty hunting stories, opportunities, contracts, e.t.c.

• I have bounty toggle off altogether, and do not want to be involved with anything bounty-hunting

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
Hello y’all!

I’m wanting to do a quick survey with some questions about bounty hunting. There have been a strong few people who write these characters, and I’m hoping that we can boost up those numbers, making bounty hunting a more prominent feature here on Chaos.

Your answer will help us gather some good information that can improve bounty hunting in all aspects, so please answer them honestly and to the best that you can.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to post them below!

Thank you for your time and answers!

Last edited:
It’s fun, but often times the BH character serves as an in between for some other character’s stories with little left for the BH to engage in.

More BH centric stories would be cool, but without a really ‘lived in’ GALACTIC UNDERWORLD I think we’ll be lacking in that area.

A BH Guild that serves as a hub and whatnot could be a neat addition to things, though.

Karkosuchus

K
I agree with Koda Fett Koda Fett in this regard

There is no actual "Underworld" to speak off in regards to people who roleplay within that world.

So mostly we are just looking for scraps in terms of threads.

Gandra Vano

G
Usually BH’s are just used for fighting threads, there’s not really a connected network of things for people to actually coordinate and roll with things sadly.

Every time people try to get a bounty hunters guilt it normally doesn’t get super far.

I'd be interested in knowing how many people who have the toggle on are also randomly hunted or approached to be hunted. I've always had my toggle on and never had any bounty issues, even though I mostly write with criminals and bounty hunters.

I used to write the bounty hunter Julian Valentine 'The Hammerhead'. Was loads of fun hunting characters, especially teaming up with Ghorua the Shark. A real power couple of The Hammerhead and the Shark.

Varm Nul

ꜰᴀsᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅʀᴀᴡ? ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ
The BHG is a faction that exists, but there's no real underlying narrative or scenario played out with it to allow hunters to continually get involved. That could be changed, perhaps, with some ideas below:

• A persistent BHG hangout thread (maybe some bar?), which is always open and keeps a continual scene for hunters to join, engage, then leave as they want/need? This could encourage BH rp beyond 'I join hunt now'?
  • A suggestion for a bounty amount to be added to profiles, so hunters can see either 'generic' (non-UC) values of targets who accept being hunted, or even UC specific amounts said target is willing to pay if invaded and captured?
  • A thread in the bounty hunting forum (or elsewhere) that allows members to state they are fine with being hunted, how much their character is worth, and whether they have a preference on being surprised or approached for plotting regarding hunting/hunter invasion, or if they are fine with being captured?

For me, this character (and my other few bounty hunters) haven't been involved in the bounty toggle system mainly for those reasons, because I don't want to impose if someone is in a thread rhythm or something. And I don't often reach out, because it's easier to organize a specific thread with an NPC target, because the times I have planned for PC engagement little has come of it - I've been set up for about 3-4 PC bounties now, but not a single one has happened.

I'm happy to try and help develop some solutions, anyway.

Bunker-level Normal
If only the toggle had a third setting between yes and no: ASK.

I keep the bounty toggle off for most of my characters, just to avoid complications in their story. I'm open to good story, just not spontaneous disruptions to threads I'm in with others. That said, it's interesting to see that the poll results assumes that toggling it off has no interest whatsoever, and reserves the spectrum of interest for only those with the toggle on. Which is different from how I read the toggle, I assume that's someone who is down for a bounty hunt at any time in any thread.

But I digress. In this thread, someone mentioned something that rang true to me about underworld RP, in that there isn't a lot of 'lived in' feel to it. I'd agree that's often the case for criminal RP as well, unless your targets are political members of a major faction or one of the rare business writers who actively engages with assaults on their property, criminal writers are essentially required to invent their own targets and opposition. Whereas I often see Bounty Hunting approached as a purely PvP endeavor, with a PC offering a bounty, a PC bounty hunter taking it, and a PC target being hunted.

I would love to see a paradigm shift in bounty hunting to incorporate more PvE elements. Perhaps they would be more welcomed into non-PvP threads in that case, or find more willing targets.

Guildmaster of Smarteel
blows dust off account

The BHG is a faction that exists, but there's no real underlying narrative or scenario played out with it to allow hunters to continually get involved. That could be changed, perhaps, with some ideas below:

• A persistent BHG hangout thread (maybe some bar?), which is always open and keeps a continual scene for hunters to join, engage, then leave as they want/need?

I made this account when the guild was a thing and part of me is still keen on exploring this aspect of the SW universe.

As I'm too much of a control freak, I've opted to create my own narrative in my head and the characters doing various things. When the Guild dropped off, Chordok was relegated to NPC/flavor text in favor of my mains, Saija Kwann Saija Kwann and Kronn K'taris Kronn K'taris . We did some stuff on Smarteel and when I get into the Bounty Hunting world again, this is where I want to do it, since I've established personal roots here.

You're always welcome to romp on Smarteel in Wild Space if you're into a "Wild West" atmosphere. Good luck and good hunting!

re: control freak..... when I mentioned this, this pertained to this account, who has a Bounty backstory (which has never been activated publicly) and a romantic subplot which will be interrupted by a mortal enemy Lorto Q'ei Lorto Q'ei , also a sub-account of mine.

There's no persistent BHG presence because there's no persistent BHG.

It is bad faith or ignorant to claim that this faction is active or has been within the last year. It lacks leadership. It lacks activity. Leadership bolts because it's not dedicated or it gets bored. Faction doesn't have a map game to concern itself with nor a directed story focus. Leadership's biggest tackle will literally be paperwork and organization.

The two things this community is the worst at.

I'm the OG of the Faction. Take whatever ideas you want/need from it, they're all yours. Try not to copy and paste.

Koda Fett Koda Fett Karkosuchus Captain Jordan Captain Jordan Tefka Tefka

I do agree with you on the fact that the Underworld isn’t very “lived in”, or the BH presence isn’t there. I’ll talk with the people over in HSC, but we could find a way to make the Underworld as a whole more prominent and more of a threat to the greater galaxy.

Gandra Vano Varm Nul Varm Nul Chordok Chordok

Finding a way to incorporate bounty hunters into none fighting threads is something we can do as well. The whole Bounty Hunters Guide book outlines a crap ton of guilds and crews, which is something that we can build off of for more of a “community” feel.

I’ll talk with the people over in HSC, but we could find a way to make the Underworld as a whole more prominent and more of a threat to the greater galaxy.

thats-why-im-here-obi-wan.gif

And BHG is pretty cool if you ask me. More bounties!

Varm Nul

ꜰᴀsᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅʀᴀᴡ? ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ
There's no persistent BHG presence because there's no persistent BHG.

It is bad faith or ignorant to claim that this faction is active or has been within the last year. It lacks leadership. It lacks activity. Leadership bolts because it's not dedicated or it gets bored. Faction doesn't have a map game to concern itself with nor a directed story focus. Leadership's biggest tackle will literally be paperwork and organization.

The two things this community is the worst at.

I'm the OG of the Faction. Take whatever ideas you want/need from it, they're all yours. Try not to copy and paste.

Bad faith? Ignorance? ...right.

Never said BHG was active, only that it existed, and the lack of story/narrative was mentioned. The suggestion was simply that, a suggestion.

Anyway.

HSC is doing some good stuff. 10/10. Glad to be involved.

I mean, admittedly the biggest obstacle towards a “lived in” Galactic Underworld has to do with what is at the core of Star Wars. It’s about the Force, the Jedi and the Sith.

None of that has much of a place in the Galactic Underworld. It should be about the NFUs, the crooks and killers that have carved their own little section of the galaxy off for themselves. Too often do you find Jedi and Sith bleeding over into that area, which then downplays the role of the NFUs. Also the fact that there’s a lot of “good guy” criminals that don’t feel like they belong (that’s just my opinion, though).

I don’t think we’ll see a lot of BH/Underworld stuff thriving without characters that are dedicated to that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom