Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Gata'dr' Personal Energy Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

CEO of Breshig War Forge Consolidated

y43pnZR.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an advanced shield generator for use on droids and personal armor for Breshig War Forge Consolidated and select others.
  • Image Source: N/A.
  • Canon Link: N/A.
  • Permissions: N/A.
  • Primary Source: N/A.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Personal Shield Generator.
  • Weight: Heavy.
  • Resistances (Combat Mode):
    • Energy: Very High.
    • Kinetic: Very High.
    • Lightsabers: High.
    • Other:
      • EMP/Ion: Very High.
      • Electricity: Average.
      • Temperature Extremes: None.
      • Sonic: Average.
      • Disruptors: Very Low.
  • Resistances (Utility Mode):
    • Kinetic: Average.
    • Lightsabers: Average.
    • Other:
      • EMP/Ion: Low.
      • Electricity: High.
      • Temperature Extremes: High.
      • Sonic: High.
  • Resistances (General Purpose Mode):
    • Energy: High.
    • Kinetic: High.
    • Lightsabers: High.
    • Other:
      • EMP/Ion: High.
      • Electricity: Average.
      • Temperature Extremes: Average.
      • Sonic: Average.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Primary Shield(s) w/ built in Grab Safety:
  • Utility Shield(s):
  • Point-of-Impact: The shield makes use of an on-board droid brain that utilizes the wearer's armor's sensors to detect incoming threats and attempt to counter them with the point of impact shields.
    • Pressor Field(s): Point-of-impact pressor fields utilize the armor's sensors to detect the highest velocity, highest mass projectiles and generates a pressor field to intercept them before they impact.
  • Capacitor Banks w/ Power Port: Energy absorbed by the molecular or kinetic capacitance shield(s) is stored in capacitor banks and other devices can be connected to the shield generator to divert absorbed power to.
  • Fine Tuned Adjustments: Not only can the generator set different shield strengths for different facings, but it can also control shield regeneration rates for different facings independently.
  • Manda Tactical Battlenet Compatibility: The generator can be configured to allow a Manda tactical battlenet node to control shield settings automatically.
  • Modes: The generator can switch between a number of function modes, diverting power between the generators that are part of the system. Switching modes is not instantaneous, and takes longer if any of the shields are below 50 percent integrity.
    • Combat Mode: Combat mode provides power to the molecular and kinetic capacitance shield as well as the shock field, while keeping the Verpine and electrical capacitance shield powered down.
    • Utility Mode: Utility mode diverts power to the electrical capacitance and Verpine shields while keeping the molecular and kinetic capacitance shields powered down.
    • General Purpose Mode: General purpose mode has all shields powered on, which results in less power to each shield
STRENGTHS
  • Resilient: The shield protects against a wide variety of threats with it's combination of shield and has strong field strength and coverage.
  • Recharge: The molecular shield's energy absorption function can be used to either provide further power to the shield itself or provide power to an attached device, be it a weapon or something else.
  • Shock Field: The generator can generate a shock field from absorbed electrical energy, by drawing on the generator's power or with energy absorbed by the molecular shields that is capable of giving a light jolt to a severe shock capable of setting clothes on fire to anything that comes in contact with the shield.
  • Shield Facing: The user can set shield strength and regeneration settings specific to facings, especially useful in urban combat and in the tight confines of a starship.
  • Versatile: The shield generator can switch between three different modes to better defend against changing battlefield circumstances.
WEAKNESSES
  • Ion/EMP (Generator): While the generator itself is protected against EMP/Ion damage, it is still possible that a strong enough surge will overwhelm the protection and fry the generator.
  • Slow Moving Objects: Slow moving objects can still pass through the shield, such as grenades rolled slow enough to slip through.
  • Disruptors: While resistant against energy weapons, the energy discharge of a disruptor bolt is extremely potent, and has a notable chance to simply overload the shield.
  • Overload: If the shield takes too much damage, especially from multiple sources with varied damage type, it will overload and shut down. A manual restart is then necessary after it goes through a cooling and recharge cycle.
  • Shield Penetrating/Bypassing Weapons: Individual field disruptors and the like will definitely punch right through the shield. Needless to add, the user cannot make use of such devices while their shield is active.
  • No Cloaking: Shield generators tend to cause problems with cloaking devices or stealth systems of any kind, and the 'Gata'dr' is no exception to that rule.
DESCRIPTION
Following the term of service with the CIS, a number of systems developed by the company that are in service with Strill Securities ended up seeing major overhauls. With the development of the Atiinir kinetic capacitance shield technology, the Gata'dr was re-examined and re-designed by company personnel who felt the shield generator could do with an upgrade.
A number of issues in the past with units getting burned out from overstrained power units prompted designers to feature a power diverter system that featured three modes of operation. The first, combat mode, was focused on protecting the user from the most prevalent threats on the modern battlefield, and focused on powering the molecular and kinetic capacitance shield generator. The second mode is the shield's utility mode, focusing on less commonly encountered sources of incoming damage and environmental hazards. This mode shunts power to the Verpine and electrical capacitance shield. The third and final mode powers all generators, but limits the power output to lessen the chance of burnouts that the previous version suffered from.
Retaining the previous version's tactical flexibility, the ability to control the shield strength and regeneration of individual shield facings was retained. This is particularly useful when fighting in the tight confines of urban environments or the interiors of starships. Additionally, given the prevalence of heavy weapons, a point-of-contact pressor beam emitter was installed, using armor data to attempt to slow high mass, high velocity projectiles on an inbound vector.
Despite the pressor beam system, slow moving objects, slower than the average velocity of hand thrown ordnance to be specific, have a high chance of passing through the shield. Naturally shield bypassing/penetrating weapons will still bypass the shield. There is still the matter of the generator overloading when under multiple sources of fire, especially when dealing with multiple damage types. Finally, following an overload, the generator must undergo a cooling and recharge cycle for safety reasons, lest any capacitors overload or the generator melt itself, following which manual restart can be performed.

Last edited:
FACTORY MODIFICATION TEMPLATE
Submission Name: Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Ta'yr' Sensor, Targeting and Communications Suite
Link to Submission: Here.
Reason for Factory Modification Request: Re-work.

Submission Name: Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Ara'novor' Shield Generator

Submission Name: Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Kartayl' Armor Subsystem Suite

Submission Name: Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Buurenaar'aran' Environmental Shield System

Submission Name: Breshig War Forge Consolidated 'Gata'dr' Personal Energy Shield

HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge
Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol

Looks good and love it! However I found a serious problem. Recently we are more strict with the Force, telephaty and similar resistances. And because of this, I'm sorry, but I cannot accept the submission in this form. The materials that you wrote never give any "Force or telepathic resistances" to the shield, so here the Average already means None, and you cannot go under the Average to gain free points for these none ratings. Due to this, I have to ask you to modify the these three resistances to Average and please adjust the other resistances accordingly.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

MANIAC MANIAC Yes, I remember the crackdown on force defense ratings, it was during the tail end of my time in the factory if I recall correctly.

Permit me to explain my though process. however. As per the entry on ray shields, they are stated as being able to protect against the force. It's in the first paragraph I believe. Since one of the shields protected is a Verpine Energy Shield, which is a personal energy shield, which is a subset of ray shields, it is my understanding that inability to protect against the force would be atypical of such a shield.

I will remove the force based Telepathy, however, that's a fair point and frankly I can't even remember my own rationale on it being there in the first place.

HPI AI; Terraris Command
Factory Judge

Thank you! But I have to ask to remove the other two as well, not just the telephathy. Like I wrote, your materials never gives you any Force protection, and this is their average state, so you cannot go under the average for only that reason to gain free pointes. We are not accept this kind of min-maxing anymore. IF you wan tsuch resistances what we are accepting and you are not mentioned, these are for example the Disruptor or Environmental.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

Maybe I should explain a little bit better.
b40eedc1d519a251b67459b846ea028d.png

The wookiepedia article for Ray shields says that they are resistant to the force.
1afbcb0312f4029910c343d8383a9295.png

The same article states that personal shields are ray shields.
614e1cb1f400a29e971d2fece48168cc.png

The personal shield article says that Verpine shields are personal shields.

So I believe that the Verpine shield projected by this generator would normally be able to defend against the force. But I am giving that up for extra temperature and sonic protection noted here.
e9fd6a271d58fc74122cecfdf059d1c8.png

Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol John Locke John Locke

I have been asked to come out of retirement to provide a second voice on this.

Okay, there are some problems I see here. Some are quite minor, the others are the big deals.

To start, your ratings are still out even if we accept your shield theory. You are +14 up from 7 very high ratings. You are then -12 from your 'none' ratings and -1 from the production, so something needs to change regardless.

Next, I am confused by this weakness: "Acid: The shield doesn't stop acid for a variety of reasons, and it is on the user to ensure that they stay out of reach of acid spewing weapons."
I would like to know this variety of reasons which stops other liquids and solids but not acid.

In the very same image you link later from the Wookiee it mentions that the primary function of ray shields is to defend again radiation and blaster bolts. Therefore, you cannot say it will provide no protection there at all when it is its intrinsic function.

However, the main issue is that I feel you are drawing a very long bow here on the Force.

First, you have linked me a string of wookieepedia pages, all chaining down from a single line in the ray shields page. However, I see nothing in this legends section which actually says anything about it one way or the other and no source is listed.

Second, your argument hinges on the assumption that the shields do block Force attacks which seems possible...but then you have a way therefore to stop this happening with this item.
For instance you list kinetic and elemental/ion resistance as very high, so why wouldn't it block Force lightning or telekinesis? That is not something you can make go away on a whim.

And all of this on a minor production item? I think you are attempting to game the system by choosing unusual attacks to be vulnerable to, and all the common damages to be very resistant too.

Therefore:
I want you to remove the two Force resistances as Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim has requested.
I want you to explain further the acid and radiation stats.

When that is done rebalance this either for minor production with reduced stats, or lower production.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

I would like to know this variety of reasons which stops other liquids and solids but not acid.
It doesn't protect against other liquids. As far as I understand the dynamics of shielding systems, magnetic containment fields used on hangars and hydrostatic fields used by the Gungans are the only shielding technology which actually affect gasses or fluids in that sense.

As far as fluid-based weapon systems that aren't acid go, to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any other fluid-based weapons. There are, however, a number of acid weapons as I recall are specifically made to eat through toughened armor plate.
For instance you list kinetic and elemental/ion resistance as very high, so why wouldn't it block Force lightning or telekinesis? That is not something you can make go away on a whim.
That would depend on whether something is being hurled at the user, or if the user themselves are being lifted up via force telekinesis. As for force lightning, I've heard divided opinions on how much of that particular force power is actual energy, and how much of it is just the force.

The directed attacks rating was more for powers such as Force Drain, Force Blast and the like, which don't quite have an associated energy type to them per se. I see your point on the mind-affecting field, though.

I know the article doesn't cite sources where the Ray shields protect against use of the force, but it does mention cases where they were used to contain notable force users, on which was the basis I assumed there was some veracity in the claim made in the opening paragraph.

The idea was that the components that protect against temperature extremes were beefed up, more capacitors, more powerlines on the board such that the space for the other components was taken up. So realizing my own idiotic blunder I've increased them to Very Low, clarified that it is specifically against mind-affecting abilities and non-energy based abilities and adjusted the ratings.

I was wondering if perhaps you'll hear me out on an idea that should fix the issue entirely. That idea being an additional function mode for the generator that focuses the ability to protect against the force, radiation and energy weapons by shunting power from the other shields. As follows, perhaps?

Standard mode:
  • Kinetic: Very High.
  • Lightsabers: Very High.
  • Other:
    • EMP/Ion: Very High.
    • Acid: None.
    • Radiation: Very Low.
    • Electricity: High.
    • The Force: Very Low.
Proposed Mode 2:
  • Energy: High.
  • Kinetic: None.
  • Lightsabers: Average.
  • Other:
    • EMP/Ion: None.
    • Acid: None.
    • Radiation: Very High.
    • Electricity: None.
    • The Force: Very High.

I am not convinced by your acid argument because it's not logical. If you're saying it can stop flames, lightning or high temperatures it has to be able to stop a liquid. Indeed that might be an interesting weakness to consider since immersion would pretty rapidly short it out. Regardless.

Regardless, I'm not going to bandy semantics with you on this. Your dual mode option is fine except that it's clearly just a way to get what you originally wanted by sacrificing nothing of value and never using the second mode.

Therefore I want you to remove Force, Acid and Radiation from the item and rebalance accordingly.

Please remember to also tag me when you reply.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris I don't quite follow. Flames nor lightning nor high temperatures are liquids. It's not my invention that none of these shielding technologies stop liquids, that's a fairly established part of the setting. I'm not trying to add extra functionality to any of these shields, merely provide a layered defense.

The way I see it, the case is similar to a sturdy medieval-era metal shields. It'll block swords, daggers, arrows with and without bodkin points and so on. When it comes to boiling oil, it can't be used to stop the oil because oil being a liquid flows around the shield. Likewise, given that acid is a liquid, and none of the shields here are water tight, I feel like it makes sense that acid will go through.

As for the shield, the way I see the second mode is that it would be very useful to defend against the Force provided there's a solid armor underneath to make up for the short falls. I never wanted this shield to defend against the force, all I was trying to state that any inherent defense against the force was non-existent with this particular model.

Ysalamiri, which I do use when defense against force users is required, have at least one work around (the Etheral implant, iirc) and by most interpretations of their functioning announce their presence to any force users, unlike the wording of this shield which would likely not. Nor are ray shields limited in production like Voidstone.

I can't speak about anyone who buys the shield but for my own personal use the shield is almost more useful in its second mode than it is in its first, given almost if not all the armors they're going to be used with are pretty sturdy on their own.

However, that said, I've done what you've asked and removed the ratings and rebalanced it using the multiple function modes idea, and edited the description as well as the strengths and weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom