Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Braving the cold of Rhen Var [The Republic]

[SIZE=10pt]Corvus sat on the shuttle that drew ever closer to [member="Asmundr Varobalder"]’s Praxeum. She’d flown on it once before and so was less in awe than first time around but still – it was truly impressive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Had she been more inclined to consider beauty and form, she would have marvelled at the grace and power of the craft – as it sat serenely in space. The fact it was a symbol of the Jedi way was not lost on her but its soft hull that curved and sloped to form great wings were – to her – a means to fly through space. The great balls of glasteel were simply a useful way to glimpse into the void of space. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]But its size did impress her. As did its gardens and training rooms. The specifications said there was even an aquatic tank on board. Yes, she’d downloaded the specs onto her datapad just in case she needed them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Taking her eyes from the viewing port she focused on that datapad, and thoughts of the ship quickly dissipated. She checked off the equipment she'd requested when they boarded the shuttle. She also glanced the skills that she hoped between them they had in order to complete the mission. If not, she had a back-up plan. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Finally she checked off the names of those that said they’d join in on the mission:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][member="Kana Truden"][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][member="Jerry Mars"][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][member="VIPER"][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][member="Meeristali Peradun"][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][member="Tugoro Taidarious"][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Had she missed anyone? She glanced up to check…[/SIZE]

Kana felt little doubt as to whether she should have gone. It was after all the very second after she had received the invitation from [member="Corvus Raaf"] that the packing of things started. Besides, she would have regretted staying at the temple any longer. It felt like ages since she had arrived at the Academy and by now the trees, the gardens, pretty much everything about the temple had begun to feel like a drab mix of same-old.

Kana did what any sensible person would do and got out of there to see the galaxy. The temple was good and all, and truthfully it wasn't ugly in anyway but it had still managed to reach the point where it felt just like any other home. That festering feeling of "I should get out more" as the total lack of any kind of civilization beside the temple were the only options you had for excitement. Don't get her wrong, the activities that at first had been the best thing were still the very best thing ever but they had lost their thing, their pizazz that made them so cool.

Maybe the reason she left this time was just plain wanderlust. She wasn't one for adventure but something about the offer to come along just seemed too good to pass up.

So now here she stood eyeballing one of the biggest and quite possibly prettiest ships she had ever seen. The Kenobi Praxeum in all its pride, she had heard of it but hearing and actually seeing it was two incredibly different things.

With reluctance Kana turned away from the window and approached Corvus.

“I’m here.” She announced in an effort to break the silence. “As promised.”

VlPER

Victory is mine!
Just like everyone else, Viper too had received the invitation from Corvus to go to Rhen Var. A smile appeared on his face when he read it. An opportunity to go to a planet he had never gone to before. The chance to find his first lightsaber crystal. And the rare opportunity to get to step foot on a Kenobi-Class Praxeum ship! Considering how important that class ship is to the Jedi, Viper didn't imagine he would get to step foot in one for quite some time. But here the day was. He could hardly contain his excitement.

After speaking with his Master, Viper was even being accorded a special concession. Having never flown anywhere without his own ship. He found out they were willing to allow him to bring his ship and dock on the Praxeum. One of the benefits to having the Grand Master of the order as ones master, Viper thought to himself.

In his excitement, he had been hounding his Master to hurry. He and his ship were prepped and ready a full hour before Master Kiskla presented herself on Viper's vessel. He had barely waited long enough for her to walk up the loading ramp before he was raising it up, and making for the empty cold of space. "Master....Is the Praxeum really as grand as they say!? I mean from one look at the schematics, the ship is a beast!" Like Corvus, the moment he heard about being allowed to visit the ship, he downloaded the schematics and studied them. He was a freighter for years before he joined the ranks of the Jedi after all.

Ships were sort of an obsession of his. And now he was going to get to stand on the Jedi's flagship! "From what I can tell of the design, it almost looks like they had designed it on Naboo. Very graceful lines. An artistic styled ship." He continued on and on, going a mile a minute. At least until the ship came into view.

Then he couldn't utter a single word. His jaw dropped open as he gazed on the enormous vessel in front of them. The schematics never even came close to doing this ship justice, he thought to himself. Truly, in Viper's mind at that moment, the Praxeum had to be one of the most beautiful ships he had ever set eyes on. "Wow...." , was all he could bring himself to eventually say.

His moment of admiration was interrupted when a voice came over the comm. "Unknown freighter. You are entering restricted space. Identify yourself!"

"Uhh." He stammered at first, trying to focus back on the required protocol. "This is Jedi Padawan Viper. Captain of the freighter Quasar's Light. We're here to dock and rendezvous with other Jedi heading to Rhen Var."

"Copy that, Quasar's Light. Please transmit authorization codes now." Came the quick professional reply.

Viper's eyebrows raised as a goofy smile appeared for his Master. Gesturing toward the comm in front of Master Kiskla, he said softly, "You're up Master."

[member="Kiskla Grayson"]

It was a good thing that he'd spent a great deal of time as a growing kit, and as a young adult, improving his tolerance for hyperspace. Life with the Jedi had meant he was spending more time flitting from place to place, world to world, training in jungles and in nearly inhospitable heat, to name a couple of locales, indirectly. This trip would provide another environ for him to endure, for Rhen Var was blanketed the world-over with ice, snow, and other trappings of a wintry climate. He had managed the heat of Mustafar with Master Jacos, and this was just another extreme.

No doubt his master would approve, he considered, as he turned to look on @Corvus Raff.

"As am I," he said, following on the words of [member="Kana Truden"] and keeping the purr out of his voice as was the usual practice for him, the relaxed state of his tail an indication of the calm he felt, "and I wouldn't worry. Most other Jedi I've encountered in my time amongst them have been... fairly good to their word. They'll come."

That said, he let his mind go on to other thoughts. He wondered how [member="Avalore Eden"] was doing, and what she was up to, since he had seen her last... which brought a small, unrevealing smile to his face, as he turned to the viewport.

[member="VlPER"]'s enthusiasm was tangible. Without his knowledge, Kiskla had predetermined a communications channel with Asmundr's pilot team onboard the Kenobi-Class Praxeum. While her Padawan learner charted his route, Kiskla established the necessary transmissions to make sure their paths lined up -- as it was only herself and Asmundr that knew where the Praxeums were at any one time.

"They're truly beautiful, and a very generous gift from the Lord Protector." Kiskla nodded, tucking a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ears and swaying her ankle. She looked rather relaxed with her legs crossed in the passenger seat, despite having to do some really fast calculations to promise they were on the corresponding path. Those crossed legs uncrossed with practiced fluidity as she was suddenly standing, and leaning to enter the complex combination of figures to the navicomputer -- which would then be received by the flight control of the Praxeum.

A few moments of silence -- just for added suspense.

Confirmed. Access Granted. Advance to Hangar Bay Alpha-II.

Corvus knew that [member="Jerry Mars"] and [member=VlPER"] were going to meet them on-board. She double-checked her datapad. Grandmaster [member="Kiskla Grayson"] was travelling with VIPER. Was she coming too?

Corvus had no intention of crafting her lightsaber on Rhen Var, but if another of the attendees wanted to - and if the Grandmaster was present - it was an option for them. Like most things in her life, Corvus had the construction of her saber all mapped out - from the crystals to be used to the perfect location. But the addition of Grandmaster Grayson had another benefit. Hopefully she could teach them all Tapas in the time taken to reach the ice planet. They could well be needing it.

Typically the shy one in big groups, Corvus was obliged to take a more central role as she'd been the one to request the 'mission.' She felt a bit of a fraud calling it a mission - but to all intents and purposes it was. So, imagining herself in the role of a leader, she felt it beholden to her to start up the conversation.

Bowing to Kana and the latest arrival she said, "Padawan [member="Kana Truden"] and I presume Padawan [member="Meeristali Peradun"]. So glad you made it. A few others will be joining us on board the Praxeum. Have you ever been aboard before?"

All the while she was wondering if [member="Tugoro Taidarious"] would be able to make it.

The mission that had been proposed by [member="Corvus Raaf"] really did intrigue the boy. It had felt like ages since the boy had visited a rare, force filled crystal cave. However, his absence and tardiness might've painted the idea of apathy in Corvus' mind. Although, that was not the case at all. The young Padawan had boarded the massive, illustrious Kenobi Praxeum hours earlier, only to get lost amongst the maze like corridors of the space craft. Many crew members, pilots, and soldiers passed by the young Jedi, with hopes of offering assistance in regards to directions. They would be disappointed though, for Tugoro was determined To find his own path. Not the smartest idea. Another hour would pass, before the brown haired lad made his way into the correct room, which had been filled with bright energy signatures. A worried expression was present on his face, that would turn into a slight smile as he spotted the hostess. Hopefully she was angry, for he did not feel like getting hit again.

”Padawan [member="Corvus Raaf"]” Kana bowed back. “No, I haven’t been aboard it. Does really really wanting to get aboard it count?”

She chuckled. In a sense she wasn’t even joking, that ship looked really cool on the outside which usually meant it was even cooler on the inside.

“I take it we're meeting the rest of the team there?”

"I think [member="Jerry Mars"] will be planet-side. I hope she's got a note from her Master to be travelling alone!" Corvus smiled at Kana, recent messages suggested that the Jedi hierarchy were clamping down on this sort of action. Corvus would have taken the moral high ground if she hadn't fallen foul of the rule herself. Well, technically not as she was with another Padawan but Corvus always believed in abiding by the spirit too - so felt guilty as charged.

"Padawan [member="Vlper"] will be on the ship and I'm hoping [member="Tugoro Taidarious"] made it there too. And...Grandmaster [member="Kiskla Grayson"] will be in attendance. Not sure if she's getting off at Rhen Var though."

Corvus sighed. "Listen, I don't want to do a grand speech in front of everyone, so I'll tell you here and now, as we dock, what the trip is about. Then I can catch up with the others one at a time."

Smoothing the hem of her robes with the palm of her hand, she cleared her throat.

“As you know, I like to spend time in the library.” Ignoring the groans, she continued. “And I’ve been doing some research. I’ve always wanted to have a beam crystal as well as my focusing crystal…” She had to fight the involuntary reflex to reach for her pocket. “And Solari crystals have always fascinated me. I know, I should get out more.”

She waved a hand, dismissively. Corvus may be focused when it came to Jedi Lore but she knew when not to take herself too seriously.

“Anyway. Rhen Var is one place that they can be found and it’s in Republic space. But every Jedi and Sith imaginable has been there, digging up ruins and running around caves and so the likelihood of finding anything useful is slim. So why are we going?”

“My work on Solari crystals led me to the story of former Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma, who – as you all know – sought refuge on Rhen Var, and there trained Vima Sunrider and helped her build a lightsaber. During his stay he found a cave where the rare Solari crystal grew. Which led me to the story of Vima Sunrider, her mother’s story and the accounts of Hoggon. He's the spacer that eventually and wrongly killed him - but you all know that story.”

Corvus clearly expected every Jedi to know this story.

“Each gives some information that, in isolation, tells you nothing – but when you piece them together, it spells out the location of the cave.”

“Now when I say it spells it out, it doesn’t mention a grid-reference. But Ulic was killed near where he sparred and trained with Vima and part of Vima’s training was to build an ice sculpture of her father and she references an ice-mountain. Which is therefore also where they trained. And Ulic mentions the cave is also next to where they trained. And is therefore near to where he was killed. So…by cross-referencing all of those points, find the ice mountain and we find the sculpture. Find the sculpture and we find the cave. Find the cave and…well you get the rest. I have the coordinates for the camp they stayed at from Vima’s mothers accounts, so that’s where we start.”

Clearly this all made perfect sense to Corvus.

Just then a dull thud told them they'd landed in the hangar of the Praxeum. Gathering her stuff, she said, "After you."

[member="Kana Truden"] [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

VlPER

Victory is mine!
"Copy that Praxeum. Hangar bay Alpha-II." With that, he gently guided Quasar's Light behind another transport that seemed to be heading toward the same area. "Huh. I wonder if that is the rest of the group." He said more so to himself than anyone in particular. It was then a thought occurred to him. Turning toward Kiskla, he cleared his throat to get her attention. "Master...I just wanted to say thanks. If it wasn't for you, I know they never would have agreed to let me take my ship. Anyway, I really appreciate it." He smiled gratefully for his master. "Actually I still have to give you the grand tour some time. Maybe after we return?"

He let his words drift off as he focused on guiding his ship into the proper hangar. A shudder through the ship gave away the fact that they had landed. Shutting everything down, he hurriedly grabbed his things and ran for the loading ramp. "Come on Master, race you there!" There were times he still felt very much like a small child. With as giddy as he was to see this ship, this was one of those times. Viper lept out onto the deck and came to a skidding halt. His mouth half open as he took in the enormity of the vessel.

Not far away from him, lay the other transport he had followed in. It looked like the other padawans were indeed on board and now coming down as well. Not knowing to many of the others very well at all, he waited till Corvus had appeared. "Corvus!" He yelled excited and threw up a hand to wave. In a half jog, he excitedly continued. "Man this ship is fantastic isn't it!? What I wouldn't give to get a tour of this place." Transferring his gaze fully to her now, he smiled warmly. "Thanks for the invite. This is going to be awesome."

Viper was naturally a happy person. Though sometimes he let his own enthusiasm get the better of him.

[member="Kiskla Grayson"]
[member="Corvus Raaf"]

“-He's the spacer that eventually and wrongly killed him - but you all know that story.”

“Pfffft, yeah of course.”

Kana turned to [member="Meeristali Peradun"]. Her smile dropped for a second as she shook her head when [member="Corvus Raaf"] wasn’t watching. Kana didn’t have a clue what Corvus was talking about but out of respect for the girl’s interest in the lore she let lesson-slash-briefing go on.

Eventually the shuttle landed Kana was filled with joy. They were finally inside the Praxeum! She tried to contain the urge to run down the loading ramp and to get lost on the ship. Shuffling her pack around her shoulder she takes the first step, then a second one followed by a few rapid thirds, fourths and fifths. Nope, no containment could be done.

This place was huge. She looked around the hangar bay in astonishment. The theory about ships that were pretty on the outside also being pretty on the inside had just confirmed itself and she began to stumble around the place.

Nearly stumbling over her own two feet her attention shifts to the stranger calling out for Corvus and, well, just Corvus. He seemed to be as amazed about this ship as Kana was. She didn't really know the man and as such didn't really put much effort into making a point of not welcoming the rest of them, there were time for talking later after all. Right now it was all about trying to get as good of a look at the ship before they all had to leave for the icy plains of Rhen-Var.

“Woaaaah.” Kana quietly remarked to herself. “I don’t even want to imagine the cost of this ship; it might break my heart just a little too much.”

Corvus smiled widely when she heard [member="Vlper"]'s voice. Of course they were Jedi and should not form attachments, but aside from Master [member="Aaralyn Rekali"], the two people she'd spent most time around were [member="Tugoro Taidarious"] and the fellow Padawan standing in front of them. It was friendship on both counts and Corvus considered this was more than acceptable according to the Jedi Code.

But friendships can cause cliques and that would never do, so she was aware that they weren't the only Jedi in the hangar bay. "Padawan Viper." She bowed politely. "And Grandmaster [member="Kiskla Grayson"]." A slightly deeper bow. "So glad you could come along. If you haven't already met them, these are Padawans [member="Kana Truden"] and [member="Meeristali Peradun"]." Her eyes were directed at VIPER, less anyone thought she was suggesting the Grandmaster didn't know every Jedi in the Order by sight!

VlPER

Victory is mine!
Viper was well aware of Corvus' formal ways. But he swore one of these days he was just going to give her a huge bear hug just to throw her off. Geez her face would be priceless he thought to himself. In all honesty Viper appreciated formalities in certain occasions. He was just to excited for this to be one of them. Still, resisting the urge to roll his eyes at the formalities, he returned her bow and smirked.

Based on her short response before moving on to others, Viper also took note of her indifference toward him. The fact saddened him ever so slightly. He had always been quick to form attachments of one kind or another with those whom he liked. But, was also aware of the apparent no attachments rule. Something he didn't understand and was currently very much having a hard time accepting. It was also a subject he'd never bring up given their situations and/or views.

With their formalities out of the way, more introductions were in order. His eyes moved to
[member="Meeristali Peradun"] and then to [member="Kana Truden"]. With another bow and a friendly smile for each, he said, "A pleasure to meet you both. Looking forward to working with you guys. I'm Padawan Viper...", he paused as he realized he was being redundant. "...erm...like Corvus just said."

Resisting the sudden urge to smack his own face, he gave a small laugh instead. Starting to look around again, he asked. "So Corvus. We expecting anyone else? Where do we go from here?"

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

”Well I am, also like Corvus said, Padawan Kana Truden.” Kana bowed at [member="VlPER"] and [member="Kiskla Grayson"]. ”It’s good to meet you both.”

Kana was probably wondering the same thing as everyone else. Was the grandmaster herself going with them? Were they expecting that much trouble? It’s a frozen wasteland filled with nothing but snow and ice as well as the occasional ruins of a civilization that has long since been lost.

Wait, that would probably mean that others have been there to search through the ruins. That also means that there is quite the possibility that people are still there. Hmm…

“I must admit I am surprised to see the grandmaster with us. Are we expecting trouble?"

Corvus was about to speak to [member=VlPER"] when [member="Kana Truden"] spoke. 'Trouble? The thought hadn't occurred to her. Perhaps the Grandmaster knew something she didn't and there was a real risk in going?'

But then she thought logically that they wouldn't have been allowed to go if there was too great a risk. Moving on from that train of thought, she looked again at VlPER. "Should be one more on board and one planet-side - and that's it. And we're heading to Rhen Var as soon as the hyperspace coordinates are punched in." And she gave him the low-down on the mission whilst keeping one ear on any conversation between Kana and the Grandmaster. Just in case!

[member="Tugoro Taidarious"] [member="Kiskla Grayson"] [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

VlPER

Victory is mine!
Viper gave an almost surprised smile to her. That was very kind for her to repeat her name as well, he thought. He suddenly felt a little less awkward. Usually being one to shy away from groups and people in general. He was a little taken back by how many people he was beginning to like. Maybe it was because they were all Jedi. What was that birds of a feather saying?

Pushing the thoughts away, his face reddened some at Kana's next question. With a hand reaching up to rub the back of his neck, he hesitantly spoke up. "Actually...that is probably just because of me. I have a very strong aversion to space travel without my ship. I use to be a freighter Captain before becoming a Jedi. Anyway, my master noted my hesitation to go on a trip if I couldn't fly my ship. She was kind enough to get me permission to bring her along."

He shrugged sheepishly. But then a look of suspicion began to creep onto his face as he turned toward [member="Kiskla Grayson"] . "At least I think that's all there is to it...right master?" He asked with a small smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Viper waited a bit for her answer before turning back to Corvus. He nodded his head in understanding, and the listened all the more keenly as she debriefed him on their destination. "Fascinating." He said genuinely. "I'm going to have to join you more often in the archives. Sounds like more treasure hunts can be researched and acted on if you know where to look."

[member="Kana Truden"]
[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus was never sure if reference to her time in the Library was genuine, good-natured banter or just sarcasm. With [member="VlPER"] she knew it was the former.

“There’s never a guarantee with this sort of thing – but the more research you do, the greater the odds. Anyway, it’s so good to see you. How’s the shoulder?”

Corvus continued the conversation as they travelled into the ship, ensuring the other Padawans were included. Finally they made their way to the meeting room where Tugoro joined them. Corvus bowed to him.

“OK everyone, no speeches. I’ve briefed most of you already and Tugoro, I’ll fill you in now. Until we reach Rhen Var, the time is your own – and I’m sure you’ll spend it engaged in the lessons you would have done back at the Academy – except with these facilities instead. I know I will!”

And she clearly meant it.

Wandering over to Tugoro, she gave him the abridged version of the plan and how she’d arrived at it.

[member="Kana Truden"] [member="Tugoro Taidarious"] [member="Kiskla Grayson"] [member="Meeristali Peradun"] [member="Jerry Mars"]

Kana let her attention go from admiring the ship to listening to Corvus. They were supposed to use the place, but that just didn't seem right. At least not now. Preparations were part of the thing. Then again, maybe Kana was overthinking it all. Wouldn't hurt to play along though.

“Got it.”

Kana was without doubt very fascinated by the ship and wanted to go back to admiring it's every corner, but the mission still came first. There would be time to get learn more about the ship and truly take the time to explore it in a bit. Right now it'd probably be a good idea to give her pack a last minute checkup.

With a thud she let it down on the ground and began unpacking her things. As much as she had belief in the force she still had a lot more faith in keeping it safe rather than sorry. Kana had done her homework, never say never and as such a thick coat was a must have. She had brought a canister of bacta and other basic first aid supplies as well, just in case. There were small food items and water in there too, but something was still missing.

She stood up from her kneeling position and scratched the back of her head. She couldn’t for the life of her figure out what. Warmth, check. Medical supplies, check. Basic food and water supplies, check. Weapons, che-… No wait that was it.

“Oh no.” Kana sighed and planted her hand across her face. “That is BEYOND stupid, Kana.”

She let her attention wander around the hangar, maybe she could ‘borrow’ one of the guard’s blasters or something? No, they needed those themselves. With another more frustrated sigh she turned to face the others.

“You guys wouldn’t happen to be armed?” She let the question be heard throughout the hangar. “It seems I've personally had a case of the dumbs; just making sure you’re all covered.”

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Tugoro Taidarious"] [member="Kiskla Grayson"] [member="VlPER"] [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

Tugoro would make his way into the ship, walking across the hangar floor and up the boarding ramp. Most of his attention was given to [member="Corvus Raaf"], as she went through and explained the mission they were to embark on once more. Probably because he had been so late. The exploration of a crystal cave sounded rather intriguing, especially if there was a chance to obtain these Solari crystals. He had never heard of such things before, though he was interested to find out what it was all about. Walking along side the female Padawan, the youth could not help but turn his neck slowly, offering a brief glance to [member="Kana Truden"]. Reaching down to his waist, the boy would wrap his hand around a single saber hilt, pulling it from his belt's restraints.

Cocking an arm back, Tugoro would under hand toss the object towards the blond haired girl, hoping that she would catch the shoto light saber, which was very real and dangerous. Turning back to look at Corvus, the Padawan would grin, looking over her attire to see if she also lacked a weapon. "Only have two left." He spoke, not sure whether or not to expect combat on this mission. He didn't pin Corvus as one who enjoyed action, though he really could not be too sure.

Corvus smiled at Tugoro. "Boys and their toys? How can anyone who is equipped to use the Force be considered unarmed." All the time she was talking she Telekinetically lifted a datapad from a nearby desk - directly behind Tugoro. "I mean, it's not as if we're completely defenceless."

At this point the datapad butted gently against the Padawan's neck. "A cheap trick, but you get the point. And before you chastise me, I accept it would be a weak defence against a Sith Lord with a saber."

"And no I don't have a saber yet but yes, this could be the mission that changes all of that. The Force will guide me." She patted the bag on her hip. "I have all the parts I need if it is my destiny. And some spares come to that - although I doubt this ship is lacking in anything required to build a saber, apart from the crystals of course."

[member="Tugoro Taidarious"] [member="Kana Truden"] [member="VlPER"] [member="Kiskla Grayson"] [member="Meeristali Peradun"] [member="Jerry Mars"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom