Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bearable? No?

Been around for exactly a year now, went from nobody to somewhat somebody, and now back to probably nobody again. How, as a writer, both in terms of writing a character(or few) and maturity, have I done? I did a feedback thread like this a while back when we first had these added to the site, and it was nice to see how people thought of me when I was inserting myself and opinions all over the place, but now that I've all but shrank away, what do you think of me?

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Well, I've never had the chance to RP with you personally, yet, but, from your rather impressive post count, your equally impressive effort within the site, and your judgement skills within the Factory, I say that you are a really good person.

C:

[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]

I've never had the privalige to RP with Lily as of late, but some of your alts I did however. Your a fantastic writer and I can truely understand and feel as if I'm in the story when we RP. Idk about other, but I enjoy reading a lot of your post, even though I'm not in the thread.

As for being a factory judge, your possibly one of the strictest I've worked with, but that just shows your passionate about your job. You volunteered for it, and are doing a great job at it. Your also a big help to newcomers and people with questions, able to communicate better then some of the other vetern writers. So it's good you stayed around as long as you have.

Believe it or not I have watched you progress since the very beginning. Your rise was quick and i mean quick, the fastest ive seen. Their was a point in time where I was jealous of you and your progression rate but as you slowed down that changed. THis mostly and mainly applies to your character Silara Kuhn. From a IC point of view I loved and hated you, the very way you spoke and addressed others was ..... i cant find a word so ill just say very in character.

Besides your progression and occasional getting stuck in character while addressing OOC, I think you now [member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"] are a very mature writer and awesome to RP with. Your very easy to communicate with and your writing has achieved a power level of over 9000. ( I just now remembered your first thread you have come a long way in that way.) ;)

[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]
A year already huh?

We've shared so many good times together like...uhh...you making me edit my subs so they don't stack wipe everyone. And...hmm...that time I stabbed your girl in the heart with a lightsabre.

Well, the point is...uhh...you're a good writer! Well done!

Lily Kirsche Kuhn said:
Been around for exactly a year now, went from nobody to somewhat somebody, and now back to probably nobody again. How, as a writer, both in terms of writing a character(or few) and maturity, have I done? I did a feedback thread like this a while back when we first had these added to the site, and it was nice to see how people thought of me when I was inserting myself and opinions all over the place, but now that I've all but shrank away, what do you think of me?

Here are few observations, mainly from being very intimately aware of your main three characters and having followed them and your own process for some while on and off the board.

From OOC observation the following points I would say are the most important. I'll bullet point them:

1. OOC Communication on the board - To start, overall ooc interaction. I think everyone struggles with this, but I know this has been an issue brought up in the last critique; while you have improved, the tendency to come off pretty brisk is still there. Perhaps taking the time to go over what you say first before you post it might help others feel as they are being talked to instead of down to.

2. Communicate with your writing partners - There is this tendency to want to do what you want with your character without regard to the writing partners that you have an intimate and important connection to ICly. Which is fine if you want to do so with characters that are unattached, but when it comes to characters where your characters have a serious impact on, there is a distinct lack of communication. Finding out that you did not even tell Alric Kuhn's writer that you were killing off Silara despite several weeks of planning is inconsiderate. Especially when he has to find out on his own and not from the writer who wrote his IC wife.

The same can be said for examples with Corvus when you originally had Silara disappear, when she had no less than three characters that were tied to Silara yet you did not communicate with her.

It's great if you want to pursue a new storyline, but when you do so without even discussing with your writing partner, it brings reservations to roleplay with you beyond casual meetings for fear that anything more developed will be cast aside. I cannot stress enough that you should openly and clearly communicate your desires, wants, ideas, or the like consistently and openingly - and in turn give the same consideration to them.

I sincerely doubt any writer will ever turn you away when you come to them honestly about if you want to roleplay a specific thing, or a thread. And if they do turn you away, at least you clearly asked.

3. The Yo-Yo Effect ( Hot and Cold, Katy Perry!) - As a writer, I think you have lots of creativity and ideas. The concern is, however, that you are not sure what you want but still want everything. It ends up affecting your characters by how they interact with others, and you can see how it turns into this convoluted stream of consciousness. In one post you would be completely willing to support one subject, yet in the literal next post , you do a complete 180° and say you are horribly against the subject and will work to tear it down.

It has this yo yo effect that follows Lily, and had originally been observed in Silara that is very hard to keep up with and makes little sense. You have good creative ideas, I'd like to see you stick to them longer than the flavor of the week.

That is what I have so far, but if you would like more specific examples or clarification on more points, my PM box is always open, as is my Skype.

As Cira said; communication. The people I talk to the most are often the people I'm writing with. As collaborative writers, we're in this together, meaning we need to talk and discuss like we are. In the few threads I've had with you, I had no idea of your intent or want from the thread, and I didn't know you were done with it until a week or two after you stopped posting.

There's certainly a hurdle of discussion to get over there, though that's not to say you need to talk constantly with who you're writing with. What it does mean is a good place to start is speaking consistently with your writing partners.

Communication is all we have here. Improve on it.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] @Cira @Valiens Nantaris [member="Kezeroth the Beholder"] [member="Vassara Raxis"] [member="Jaster of Clan Awaud"] [member="Jak Sandrow"]

Thank you for the feedback.

[member="Darth Vornskr"]
Thank you, Mister Fossil.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]
In regards to our thread (I think you mean the one we're doing right now?), I am waiting for a post from someone else and planned to make a post today if they didn't respond. (Was given a PM the other night after work that I would be receiving a post there)

You used to take IC things super personally, which both amused and baffled me. Like, it was really stupid easy to get you going. I may have abused this on occasion, on account of being an unapologetically terrible person.

I say used to however.

In the last couple months I've seen a marked turn in your behaviour. You are behaving in a significantly more mature fashion. From my perspective in any case. You also seem to be making an effort to be friendlier to folks. And you work stupid hard in the factory.

You also put a lot of time and love into your characters, and this is apparent. Sometimes I feel like you might get a little overly wrapped up in your own story and might be missing out on all the other people and all the stories they are writing, but this is a board wide issue, and you are not the worst offender. Sometimes people like to think their character is hugely important, and controls great swathes of things and people. And with the epic story-lines people write this is true to a degree, but they forget that this isn't just one little world like our own, this is an entire galaxy. At the end of the day, literally every character on the board is an unknown in some parts of the galaxy.

Every. Single. One.

I like that with Lily you seem to be getting a lot more out there. Not limiting yourself to one place or one group of people. This is fantastic!

I will say that it also seems like OOC there are some hurt feelings going on. This happens.

It looked like you were estranged from an entire faction, that is sad and limiting, but then there were some edits, so maybe you are okay with folks or at least tolerating each other again, I hope so!

I know there's some hurt feeling between individuals. This is all right, and even justified. And I know some folks are having fun rubbing your nose in it. Not cool on their part. It's been painfully obvious to anyone paying attention to the OOC posts your feelings were hurt. When a person is sad, they do not need to be made sadder. This is petty and quite frankly pathetic. This isn't saying in the original divergence between you and the original actually involved individual that it was entirely the other persons fault. I don't know that. I don't know the details, nor do I really feel the need to.

Hypothetically, you could have been a horrid toxic person, so they cut you off. It would be entirely justified and no one needs to be sad about it. But they don't have to go and make you feel worse.

Some folks are just jerks. It is the downfall of the internet. As sad as it is, when this stuff happens, even though we might really want to salvage it, and try quite hard, sometimes you just can't.

Move on, find new people to write with and have fun with.

It is hard to do, and it can still hurt, but it is what is necessary. You can do it, you are much stronger than you think you are, and have more worth than you might believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom