Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A notorious den of degeneracy

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla smiled. Connections were often a source of embarrassment. Typically informants were found to have bad-luck stories and often a Jedi would look out for people that others might quickly despise. Maybe it was because Jedi — typically — wanted to see the good in people?

Having said this, she suspected that Seto’s past encounters were less based upon goodness of the heart than acting in his best interests. But the past was the past, and she was not going to berate him for it.

“A wise move,” she concurred, to his opening statement. “Hard to kill someone if you can’t see them. Or harder, at least.”

“And a display of Force often does the trick of attracting atttention. Being a Jedi polarises people. To some we’re a beacon of hope. To others, we’re the enemy. But people are rarely ambivalent towards us.”

They descended at pace, as the lift drew them nearer to the business end of the trouble that was brewing. They were truly walking into the Wampa’s cave.

Lilla closed her eyes momentarily and found the Force — calming herself and strengthening her connection to it.

“And it seems you have enough of a plan for both of us. I can throw up a shield to keep us apart from them — if need be — but I’d be keen to move through them as swiftly as possible, to get to speak to their leader, and see if we can talk some sense into them.”

[member="Seto Du Couteau"]

"I'll be quick and with a glance I'll be able to point out their leader," Seto added, "-I'll act as support at that point to let you weave through them and get to their leader before any more hostility erupts," He explained quickly, his eyes closed still as the lift slowly halted and the doors began to hiss open.

Seto felt the anxiety rise dramatically, their grips tightened but it mattered little as Seto grasped their thumbs with the Force. His right hand outstretched as the doors opened fully, his right hand's fingers spread wide and all the thumbs were pushed back, loosening the grips of their weapons substantially. A careful deep breath and Seto reached out with his left hand and wrestled away their blasters with the Force, a simple yank to the floor and with gravity their weapons clattered on the floor gently.

With his features relaxing his pulled back his left hand and dragged their weapons away a tad as he opened up his eyes to inspect this newly minted unarmed gang of- Oh no. Seto found the leader, standing in between two security droids and each had raised their wrist blasters at Seto. The plus side, it was a quick identification process, but Seto had not noticed the presence of the droids at all.

Did their anxiety and fear muddle my senses to the droids and hid them with their own presence? Seto whirled for ideas as his right hand dropped to grab his lightsaber but he stopped short. Taking a large breathe, mostly to ease his headache from his excessive use of the Force, he turned Lilla and gestured towards the center of the gang.

The leader, appeared double Seto's own age and his eyes almost tripled Seto's age as well. Well one eye it seems, a scar ran vertically across the old gang leader's face but the graying hair and a beard to match Seto wasn't sure how to approach this situation. He had no idea on the colors or insignia of this gang particular, the black and green was something new. But he still felt as he if had met them before, or at least that old man in paticular before perhaps in some distant memory.

For the rest of the gang members they seemed almost bewildered, if not slightly fearful that their first encounter with a Force User would be one ripping their weapons from their own fingers. "Master, the man between both those droids is the leader, his security droids are older models so once you get too close they won't risk shooting their own master," Seto explained quickly and silently as he could to Lilla.

"We're only here to talk," Seto spoke loudly, hoping to at least ease down the anxiety that has plagued Seto since approaching the turbolift. Hopefully without ignited lightsabers, it would make his statement slightly more believable.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla took in the scene with the measured experience of a professional. She’d encountered sufficient gangs to understand the dynamics, and so a quick sweep told her everything she knew.

She was impressed author quickly Set dealt with the rank and file of the gang — but she knew the main man would not be so easy to deal with.

And she also knew what tended to work with gang leaders — for intimidation was something they understood. But too open a display of superiority could make him react just to show he was Alpha Male. The key was to let him know who was boss, without drawing his lieutenant’s focus to the fact.

In LIlla’s experience, remaining calm and entirely unafraid tended to work with both bullies and leaders — and they were often one and the same.

So, she wandered over to where the leader stood, effectively ignoring the droids as she walked — acting as if she were out for an afternoon stroll — and not into the mouth of the hungriest of lions.

She was not naïve though. She kept her wits about her and was ready to throw up a Force shield at a moment’s notice.

She was also adept at taking out droids with a Force ability, so she had both bases covered. But the longer she avoided any show of force, the easier she hoped the conversation to be.

“Lilla. Lilla Syrin, a pleasure to meet you.” She bowed as she closed in on the leader, his features suggested he was no novice in this type of activity. “We should have a little chat.”

Lilla moved forward and closer to the gang leader, all the others attempted to reach for their blaster on the floor but Seto yanked them a bit further away with the Force. Many stepped back, while the others looked towards their leader who simply gestured for them stand down, the rest nodded and Seto inwardly sighed. Seto slowly let his arm swing back to his side, releasing the hold he had left on the blasters and adjusting himself to face their leader and Lilla.

The air felt cool, a grateful thought emerged from Seto as he silently watched the next proceedings between Lilla the old gang leader. The amount of respect the rest of the members had for their leader gave Seto slight pause, obviously such control over a gang required some serious effort and time. And why haven't I heard of them before? Seto continued to ponder these thoughts, trying to distract himself from the fatigue slowly setting onto his body.

Steeling himself though, Seto crossed his arms over his chest, and gave those brave enough a glare with a challenging gaze. Seto was at the gambling tables now, and he needed keep up his poker face to convince the rest of the gang that trying something now would be a very foolish idea. The older gang leader gave Seto a slow glance before returning back to face Lilla with the same stoic stare.

An exasperated breath and the old man waved back his droids, their wrist blaster lowered as they each took several steps back. With a slow and heavy whistle, the rest of the younger lads glanced back towards their leader and with a single thumb and gesture to go back they all slowly shuffled backwards. Almost all of them gave confused and angry stares towards both Seto and Lilla but all left with no issue.

"You will only prolong the inevitable," The old man explained, giving both Lilla and Seto a measured stare. "-We were born into a war, and just like our fathers before us, we'll all die in a war. The only difference is when," The old man continued as he slowly turned around and waved at his droids guards to follow him out with the rest of his gang.

Their steps echoed as they soon grew too distant to hear anymore, but for Seto it sounded like heavenly bells. With a relaxed stance Seto walked towards Lilla, but before he could take a second step he stumbled onto his knee. Yeah, yeah that was a bit excessive, instead of trying to stand back up he simply sat down to give his body a chance to rest.

"That guy is like a chiseled stone, you can't erase those markings, you can but just add different ones until the stone finally breaks apart," Seto offered, in a way to comfort himself or Lilla a tad. "Honestly I'm happy that it just took our presence to stop them, I feared the worse," He admitted with a shaky laugh and his head cradled by his hands.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

As Lilla progressed through the gang, she was aware that the leader had commanded them to stand down – their plan was working…so far. Clearly the leader would give them an audience – the rest was up to the Jedi.

So she remained as non-threatening as possible. To all but the leader, it would appear as if he was still in charge – deciding they stand down, and allowing Lilla to speak with him. Only the Jedi and the gang leader knew the truth – that he was unsure of their power and was wary, not wishing to provoke them. But allowing him to lose no face was a vital part of the charade they currently participated in.

Lilla listened and nodded. “Wise words, we Jedi have a similar philosophy about death – and its inevitability. But the means? Perhaps that’s where we diverge. To paraphrase an old Sith saying, there is no honour in death because honour is of no use to the dead – only the living.”

She lowered her voice now, ensuring only the leader and Seto could hear.

“Fighting for what you believe in is a noble thing, but fighting does not have to mean bloodshed. There is a definition of madness that equates doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

“Take this delay to reflect on that. I cannot sway you, and if I did, the move would be temporary at best – momentary at worst. Only you can change you.” Her voice remained low yet carried authority. “The lives of these young men is in your hands. As is their death. Find another way if you can.”

With that she bowed and watched as the gang left.

Then she turned to Seto and placed a hand on his shoulder. The Force flowed into her and through, into him – now channelled as Force Healing, replenishing his energy.

“There’s always a harder stone,” Lilla said. “Sometimes the solution is to stop banging them together and find a different way to settle these disputes. It may not happen today, or even in a month’s time – but hopefully I have sown a seed that will flourish one day.”

Seto continued to cradle his head with his hands, as his elbows rest on his legs to give him some support, even as Lilla replenished the majority of his spent energy Seto remained still. Thoughts and images raced through his mind, as the mention of planting a seed and hoping for it flourish at some point, it fueled a different line of thought. We're all just gardeners in the end, tending to our own seeds. Seto realized he had planted and sown his own seeds and wondered what good had brought out unto the world, was he just as responsible for the actions and crimes committed? He slowly nodded, to mostly himself, as he slowly picked himself back up and gave Lilla a reassuring smile.

"Oh most certainly, the harder the stone the more difficult it is to chisel on no doubt, but once someone told me," Seto slowly began to head back to the lift, "-That if we are like stones with markings why chisel more? Why not just use paint instead? You know, for more color!" He added, changing his tone of voice slightly to indicate the rather perplexing world view.

He struggled to regain his senses with the Force slightly, while his body felt replenished, Seto himself still felt exhausted in his own mind. Even though such was the case, the growing animosity up the lift still gave Seto slight pause. It appeared to him that the other gang had found their way to the main engagement room and the anxiety with them grew too with no enemy to fight, or even see for that matter. "Anyways, we still have another group to contend with, and perhaps with some luck it will go just as easily," Seto commented as he stepped back into the lift.

"I could disarm them again, just as I done so earlier, but-" Seto started, rubbing his temple slowly, "-Unlike the other gang, these people are hyper aware and they certainly have red in their eyes," He explained, gathering himself as he wondered how to best approach this group. He lightly brushed his fingers over his lightsaber hilts and sighed softly.

"I really do not enjoy getting into the middle of things like this."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla laughed. Seto definitely saw things differently to the average Jedi — and that was entirely good. Too many thinking alike created a lack of thought and imagination, and stifled challenge and development.

“Paint indeed. It definitely changes the perception, which is often the harder thing to shift. And f you’re viewed differently, you’ll be treated differently, and logic therefore says, you’ll begin to act differently. A neat solution young Padawan.”

“And let’s take this new challenge at face value. Let’s not wish for a similarly straightforward outcome, less we become complacent.”

“And given you’ve identified they are different, how would you suggest we approach them? For being stuck in the middle is what Jedi do best!” There was a smile in her voice and a gleam in her eye. She was not toying with him, she seemed to genuinely enjoy the challenge.

Young Padawan? Seto wasn't sure exactly if it was because of his age or their experience of being Jedi, either way Seto was confident that he wasn't any younger or older than Lilla. He leaned against one of the walls of the lift and rubbed his neck, thinking deeply on their new situation. He looked up to give Lilla a small smile, but it wavered slightly when he noted the gleam in her eyes. It sparkles and Seto felt slightly ill, She very well might be the end of me. Honestly, he wanted to simply leave the only gang left all alone, they would get bored and just leave. A pipe dream Seto knew, but still a dream he wanted to entertain for a few moments.

"If that last gang gave me any indication I might not know this next gang at all," Seto admitted, he offered a shrug, "-Strange as it stands my contacts are still alive, that I'm certain of, but that last gang was new," Seto added, his eyes gazed past Lilla and only shrugged off the effort.

The lift slowly stopped and the doors opened wide, Seto gestured to Lilla and slowly moved out with his eyes scanning around them. While he could sense the mass of bodies down the hallway, he simply wanted to make sure there weren't any droids he needed to worry about. "Keep low and let's do some scouting, I need to know who exactly is leading this group," Seto said as he moved quickly and quietly. He kept care with each graceful step and his pair of half macro binoculars materialized from his pocket and into his right hand.

Slowly he maneuvered himself to hide behind of the major structural support beams and scanned the gang currently present in the main clearing area of the Star port. Seto saw the anxiety flare up, many of the members appeared agitated and no doubt they were starting to feel unsure as the other gang had not showed up. But Seto slightly paled, he recognized the colors, the insignia and worst of all yet, he knew their current leader. He took a few steps back before turning around to head towards Lilla.

"I think it would do us the most good to just leave them to their devices," Seto explained, gesturing with his hands as if it was no big deal to just leave. "They'll just leave once they realize nothing is bound to happen." Seto added as he slowly gestured for Lilla to head back to the lift. There's a different entrance to take so we can check where her ship is docked at.

"You see, I know? Knew? This gang's current leader, well contact?" Seto pursed his lips and tried to find a non incriminating word to use for his master. While he did not expect his master to be angry with him, he certainly didn't want to give her a chance to be disappointed either. "-Business acquaintance sounds better, so yeah, just a business acquaintance." Seto finally explained. Decently happy about his answer.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

LIlla listened, intently. For as much as she saw all of this as her destiny, and was comfortable working without a plan, she was never foolhardy and took no unnecessary risks — especially when someone else’s life was at stake.

“You’re the boss right now,” she said and followed his lead as they scouted the area.

Seto had the binoculars, but Lilla had the Force. By lowering her defences slightly, she sensed the gang’s mood. In this state, emotions ran high and she sensed confusion, anger and something else. They were anxious too. The whys she could not fathom — she was no mind-reader. Actually, she could — given proximity — but not at this range.

“Do us good?” Lilla echoed the words but her inflection made it into a question. “We are not here for our good. We are present here to save lives — today and tomorrow if we can.”

“Now I’m happy to wait and see if they dissipate. But if not, then we intervene. And…” she was clearly picking her next words carefully. “…define business acquaintance.”

Seto froze, he slowly moved back and sat down behind some cover as slowly nodded. Of course they weren't here for their own good, well not in any metaphysical sense at least, but they were here to help stem the flow of chaos and needless death. He could hear the low mutterings of the gang and with no sounds of violence Seto slightly relaxed himself and prepared to give Lilla a rather condensed and abridged version of past few months on Nar Shadda.

"It's a rather, well not exactly complicated story, but it is rather ​strenuous even under the right situations," Seto started, even he wasn't sure if him sitting down was due to the mental exhaustion or simply the weight of past guilt rolling through. Guilt? That's new indeed. "-The man is named George Paul, or GP, he's an unsavory character if I'm being frank but he is damned good at his job." Seto explained, his eyes adjusted to the sound of movement but no real danger emitted just yet.

"As you might be aware, I run with a different crowd than card sharks and side show magicians; my previous Order required me to be rather inquisitive and within the world of information gathering and subterfuge, I learned it is always good to have some deep connections."

"Mister George Paul here gave me certain leeway when I needed more access to different information that usually revolved around bribery and corruption outside of this system-" Seto attempted his best to mince words, flower up certain descriptions, and generally felt uneasy with his careful treading.

"-but a lot of what I unearthed from my investigations found that many of the corruption entanglements tend to lead back to here on Nar Shadda, not surprising really when all things are considered." Seto shrugged as he slowly got himself up. He sighed dejectedly as he gave Lilla solemn nod, he understood what 'good' they were here for but it still didn't sit exactly well for him.

"I'll most likely burn through whatever favors I have left with Mister George Paul, but I can probably get him to stand down and allow the good travelers of the galaxy to breathe freely that they can return back to their ships without needing to side step bodies or care for blaster burns," Seto offered.

Seto had qualms about ending his relationship today with George Paul certainly, while not the most cunning or used much wit, he costed less than others and worked twice as hard than most. Intimidation and brute force, when applied appropriately allowed Seto to gleam information on important corruption trails and scandals. ​When other specialists who focus on hacking, sneaking, seducing or assassinations would cost a lot more, people like GP offer a much more simple approach to delicate situations.

"He is brash and spirited, but still reasonable. I tend to make it a rule of thumb when I acquaint myself with new business associates that their reason hasn't left them,"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was a little unsure how fast she was expecting Seto to progress. Or rather she was unsure if she was pushing him too fast. It was only a short while ago he’d decided to become a Jedi, now she was expecting him to broker peace in a gang war.

But she also understood his background — and how street-wise he was. And how being a Jedi wasn’t always about being ready, or waiting for perfect conditions. These were his streets and his former acquaintances. If anyone began with a head-start, it was Seto.

And she was really appreciating how frank he was. Was he holding back? Even just a little? Probably, but she did not hold it against him — not today at any rate. Some things happen fast, and others take time. Lilla was prepared to be patient, it was one of her virtues, after all.

“Your proposal is well thought through and what good are favours if you don’t call on them to save lives?”

“So, are you happy to take the lead this time? I’ll remain quiet unless you’d like me to speak. You don’t have to say the words, just think them, and I’ll know.”

It was a subtle way of saying she’d superficially keep an eye on his thoughts. Nothing invasive, but enough to hear a cry for help.

Seto nodded, another large sigh escaped his lips as he looked ahead and pondered on a few things. The distance between them and Mister Paul himself was not exactly a large distance, perhaps under ten meters or so, but walking there would attract too much attention. It would make reaching him a lot harder. His eyes scanned around, and a smile grew on his lips, a genuine excited smile showing his young age as a thought turned the gears in his head.

"How's your landing after a Force jump?" Seto asked, a devilish smile and a gleam in his eyes. This, this will be fun. "-Land in front of the man, and the others won't risk firing and accidentally hitting their boss." Seto explained as he readied himself for his plan.

"Besides, who doesn't like a flash entrance?"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla looked a little sceptical – her face revealed her thoughts. Jumping out of nowhere into the middle of a gang could encourage less disciplined members of the group to fire first and ask questions later. Plus, it would be seen as a direct threat to the leader – who would need to ensure he saved face given their dramatic entrance.

But this was Seto’s call – and she would know the people best, so rearranged her face to a neutral expression and nodded.

“I can control my landing pretty well,” she explained. “Fun is certainly an interesting take on what we’re about to do – but at worst, I can throw up a Force shield to protect us from blaster fire.”

“So, ready when you are.”

"Oh, that won't be necessary," Seto waved away the concern, looking at his intended landing target. "-Yet of course, Mister George Paul has excellent choice of foot soldiers, so they wouldn't day fire a stray shot if land right in front of him," Seto explained further.

Too many gang members had spread out and trying to disarm all of them at once would take a tremendous amount of concentration and effort. And that's if they don't just pull out any secondary weapons Seto quickly crossed off a few ideas. Even if he hadn't just slightly exerted himself earlier, Seto had issues with performing such displays of Force prowess along with such dire consequences if failure occurred. To say anything of Seto's planning was that he never played a game with a deck of cards not stacked in his favor.

But there's always a first time for anything. Seto inwardly sighed as he turned to Lilla with a quick nod, "Right in front of Mister George Paul, slightly to my left you'll be able to cover us slightly easier," Seto than braced himself as he surged the Force and launched himself up and forward. The rise and decent was quick and Seto's eyes targeted the spot right in front of the lead man, George Paul. A small thud and Seto quickly straightened out his clothing as he gestured at Mister Paul with a short smile and quick bow.

Nobody around them appeared certain of what just occurred, in fact Seto relaxed slightly as nobody bothered to raise their blasters. Probably because they were busy lifting up their jaws from the floor, but Seto took that in stride and addressed the man he came to speak to, "Mister George Paul, a pleasure to meet up once more," Seto took a step forward and kept up his smile.

Paul, to his credit, recovered quickly and gave Seto a quizzical look, a bit uncertain of the whole thing as if he wasn't sure if Seto was actually there at all. "Mister Du Couteau, funny meeting you here. I don't suppose this is a social visit," Paul responded, evenly as he kept a steely gaze at Seto. The air slowly tensed as more of the gang members around them tensed and refocused, but none reached for their weapons. Yet.

"Just took a stroll through the neighborhood and thought that perhaps it would be my civic duty to keep the streets violent free for perhaps just this one day," Seto explained, his smile turned into a grin and slowly he eased himself into his old character. Felt as if he was putting back on an old suit of his.

George Paul did not look convinced, but he shook his head in acknowledgement, obviously use to Seto's antics as he gestured towards Lilla with his finger, "And her? What's her deal?" He asked, another questioning gaze landed on Seto as his grin only grew.

Seto shrugged, "-Oh, just a new partner, working out our business relationship and I'm here to demonstrate an act of good faith. So if you could kindly remove yourself from the port and live to see another day," Seto suggested as he gestured with both hands.

The moments silence grew a tad too long for Seto's liking but George Paul only shook his head once again, "Is this another scheme of yours Du Couteau? I mean, if this is another job for the-"

"Oya! This isn't any scheme, and this isn't really a job, I'm here to cash in on one of my many favors you owe me." Seto cut off George Paul as he took another step forward. Come on, just relent and let this go as peacefully as possible.

"Oh! A favor I owe?" Paul did not look amused, "-This job I'm in isn't just some job you can just press a red stop button. And most importantly the Hutts had already transferred half our credits. Favor or not, you can't just put a monkey wrench into my whole operation here," Paul explained, rather annoyed at Seto for making such demands in front of him. "Besides, you haven't even told me anything about her either, and you certainly can't be here for some 'civic duty' for Nar Shaddaa," Paul added, more disbelief layered in his voice.

Seto took a few steps back, relenting slightly, he couldn't play entirely coy with the man but he needed to try anyways. He wanted to turn slightly and give Lilla a quick glance badly, but he needed to keep eye contact. Can't stretch the truth too thinly here. Seto thought, "Just give them the same excuse you always give them when I step in, I doubt they would even care at that point," Seto offered.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla listened. Seto seemed confident and she would bow to his local experience and assurance in his plan. She nodded when he gave her direction, and repeated it, to confirm she understood, “Right in front of Mister George Paul. Slightly to your left. Best position to cover from.”

She took of a fraction of a second after him, and landed softly, just where he’d indicated. Her heavy boots made no noise as they touched the ground and apart from her cloak billowing, she looked as though she’d been standing there for a while.

Lilla used the Force to ascertain their surroundings. A mental map was drawn in her head, akin to radar, that had the position of every person – regardless of whether they were in front of, or behind them.

The language and tone was measured, but Lilla’s senses told her that tensions were running high – but fortunately not high enough to warrant action.

And she kept her lips closed, and her smile on display as she was referenced, allowing Seto to do the talking and therefore not risk undermining him. Plus, it allowed her to remain an unknown entity – which was often all it took to keep blasters firmly in their holsters.

But the tensions escalated – almost palpably. This gang leader was less reasonable and clearly had more at stake.

Finally, she sensed that Seto was aware that the conversation was going nowhere. The leader had his chance to walk away – but had now said too much publicly to back down. But she held her tongue. Seto was clearly trying for one last throw of the proverbial dice – and it might yet pay off. If not, she would be ready to speak.

And, if necessary, act.

Seto took a forward step, his arms crossed over his chest as Seto presented himself as disappointed. "You're telling me no George Paul?" He asked evenly. While the man's fear did spike it wasn't a large spike by any stretch of the imagination, but it was notable. George Paul took a hesitant step back, but made no motion towards his own weapons. The rest of the members appeared uncertain, some made passing glances for their own weapons, but refrained from any rash action.

"Look now Du Couteau, you're never this aggressive so what's your angle here huh? The Hutts won't be happy with you know," George asked, his concern now moving unto more pressing issues. He never seen Seto fight, but he knew better than trying to fight the young Du Couteau heir.

Seto smirked, "Perhaps I've grown some concern for you," he suggested as he gestured with his right hand, "-But keep wasting our time here and my concern will drop dramatically George Paul, and besides I dealt with the other gang." Seto added. His eyes stared evenly into George's own, Seto stood almost a foot shorter but he knew how to impose himself.

It was if he working a game of Sabaac, the table filled with people expecting one hand and Seto dancing his way between bluffs and sleight of hands expertly. If magic was ever considered real, Seto might have thought himself a magician of sorts. "Fine, you deal with them, and let me give you a fair warning. They won't like this, not one bit. And no insignia, no Authority or Power will keep you safe from them," George explained as he turned around.

"Oh and our favors? Consider them fulfilled, and also, our business relations done as well," George declared as he waved for the rest of his gang to get up and leave the Star Port. "My concerned friend," George added, a bit bitterly.

Seto only kept up his smirk and slowly the gang trickled out, George one of the last to leave. Once out of earshot Seto released a very large sigh and almost collapsed in on himself. His smirk vanished and a very concern look of worry slapped across his face as he tried to think through some possibilities. "Great, I'm down an enforce and up at least two very angry Hutts," Seto muttered angrily.

"Jedi make the most fascinating friends and even stranger enemies," Seto looked over towards Lilla with half a smile but there was little joy in his eyes at the discovery. "That man is totally coming back out here to finish this fight eventually, and I'm worried he'll be hunting for a White and Black haired punk, a devilishly handsome punk, but a punk none the less." Seto explained with a short laugh.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

The conversation was on a vibroblade’s edge, and could go either way. But, despite Lilla appreciating the delicate nature of the discussion, she did not show any anxiety outwardly. In no small way this was because she saw no reason to be concerned – not yet. Careful, yes. Cautious, yes. Alert, definitely.

But, in Lilla’s eyes, to appear troubled would only escalate the situation – and that they could ill afford.

And, to be totally honest, Seto was doing well for himself. Assertive without being aggressive. Direct without being threatening. Assured without being arrogant.

Lilla allowed Seto to say what was on his mind once the gang left, her demeanour unchanged from the moment they’d arrived.

“Being a Jedi is not for everyone. Being in the middle of things doubles the potential enemies. But then, if this was easy, anyone could do it.”

“If, at any time, this ceases to be a workable future for you, I’ll understand. I won’t judge at all. But if you continue – knowing you can’t commit 100%? Then I will have an opinion. But, by the same token, I would help you. Help you to find your path and ensure you walk it. It may be my path, it may not. That is entirely your call.”

“And well done, by the way. You have prevented bloodshed today – accept and embrace that fact.”

"If it was easy, anyone could do it and we'd live in a much nicer galaxy," Seto responded, his amusement returning to his eyes as he leaned back on a nearby railing. "-But to bear a cross with such weight, all the hatred and vitriol I am amazed there are those capable to carry such a burden." Seto added as he gestured with his free hand around him.

It was a terrible thought for Seto, the idea that he could give all he can but expect to receive far less in return for his effort. Or even receive nothing at all for any of his efforts. Or maybe I'm looking for the wrong reward for my efforts. Seto thought about the possibility but with a quick shake he turned to look back at Lilla with a nod. He understood her words, they were direct and Seto knew the game he was playing would be nigh impossible to even be attempted but, he still there was something that made him unconvinced.

"I do have to ask," Seto began, looking intently at Lilla, ",The path you walk doesn't look remotely easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but because the difficulty, why keep at it?" He asked finally.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded at Seto’s words. “Yes, it is a challenge at times. I do not see it as a burden though. Not that I am pious or conceited – but I guess I just see it as my duty – a service I can perform that many…most…cannot. I have abilities, and if I do not use them, then they will go to waste. And not everyone hates us. But the hardest criticism to take is from those that we seek to help. I can accept bad-mouthing from Sith, or villains. Or corrupt politicians…but when everyday folk are afraid of us, or judge us on the behaviours of others who purport to be Jedi? That I sometimes find demoralising.”

She smiled, ruefully. “And then I reflect on all the good we do. And that always makes it worthwhile.”

She looked into Seto’s eyes. “There are other paths. Parallel ones. Ones where the Code is less stringent – but good is still done. Perhaps these are easier to walk? I cannot say. I know what is in my heart,” she placed her flat palm on her chest, “And therefore what I must do. But I believe the Jedi are non-judgemental. I follow the Code for my own purposes. I do what I do out of a belief in service and in honouring the Code. I would never suggest I was better than anyone else – just different. And others do as much good and do not follow the Code. It is, and always will be, an individual choice.”

“Which is a long-winded way of saying, if you need help in training – even if you did not join the Jedi Order – I’d help you. As long as I believe you were doing it for the greater good.”

"You're one of the first people that's offered to help me without the intention of turning me into a tool of some sort," Seto chuckled at the realization, "-Well, a choice to see myself as tool for good, but my choice." Seto explained a bit more, making a rather strange expression as more sudden flash backs ran through his mind.

I don't I ever had someone train me, and not order me around, Perhaps Seto had already known that fact for a while but only now truly taken the time reflect on his past mentors and trainers. Proud was certainly not the first word Seto thought about when thinking back to his earlier and younger tenure of a Force User. "Enjoying the fruits of you labor is a good way to keep the more negative thoughts far and removed from the mind." Seto added with a small smirk as he looked away for a moment. No doubt in the direction of the nearest casino.

Taking a few steps away from the rail he was leaning on and moving closer to Lilla, he held out a deck of Sabaac playing cards. It almost seemed like they simply materialized out of nowhere, "Do you believe in magic? I personally believe in the idea magic, while most others would simply say 'no' when asked," Seto asked, cut the deck and revealed the bottom card of each newly cut deck.

With a quick movement of his arm and his hands clasping together both decks disappeared, and Seto shook his arms three times and revealed he was holding nothing in his hands, "-And just like the Force, magic is scrutinized and torn apart by skeptics and learned persons that only see its importance through mastery," Seto rubbed his hands together, as if bowing he clapped his hands once and revealed the two bottom cards he had shown earlier.

Seto crossed his hands together and once more with his arms and the two cards disappeared again, "-But it is the idea of magic that lives on to represent it, and such the idea of the Force also lives on as Jedi and Sith alike continue to represent the Force," Seto explained, his sleight of hand improved on over the years but still obvious to the trained eye of how he made his card disappear and reappear.

"So if you don't mind telling me why you choose the the Jedi Code to follow, I'm fascinated since I'm sure this galaxy has given you enough reasons to choose a different path," Seto asked, before offering a shrug, "-Or I could teach you some of my magic," Seto suggested with a small smile and wink.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom