Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A notorious den of degeneracy

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla took the plate and thanked the owner and offered a small bow too. Then she followed Seto to the table and began by taking a small nibble, before taking increasingly larger bites.

Lilla was never self-conscious – and the likelihood that her lips, chin and general facial area was now smeared with chocolate never crossed her mind, let along bothered her. “I can taste the cinnamon,” Lilla said, her voice slightly muffled due to the fact her tongue was stuck to the inside of her mouth, due to the stickiness of the chocolate. “Sweet but yes, a warmth too.”

She took a few sips of water, which made the inside of her mouth instantly less sticky.

“I love the chocolate and appreciate your kindness,” she said and Seto must have sensed a ‘but’ coming. “But I wear my robe so that I am warm; I carry my lightsaber so that I am safe; and I keep enough credits for my next meal, so that I am not hungry. I do not need – and therefore desire – anything more. These robes serve me well – for practical is what I require. That does not mean every Jedi should wear these kind – but I know what I am happy with, and I am currently wearing them.”

“I hope I have not offended you.”

[member="Seto Du Couteau"]

"It would take a rather monumental effort to ever offend me," Seto confirmed as he relaxed himself into the chair, giving Lilla a slow nod. "After all, I only ask because of happiness, this galaxy offers us no end of worry and trouble and whatever happiness we find it should be protected and cared for," He explained.

Seto heard a very similar advice once to how Lilla explained her modest living as Jedi. I always thought most people wanted the glory and fame, riding into battle with the hope of the galaxy riding on their shoulders. "Safe to say you've surprised me with your responses Master," Seto admitted with a small chuckle. Maybe I'll finally find the answer with her.

His eyes followed the movements of the old baker before returning back to Lilla, "But since I mentioned the galaxy, who does the Jedi Order answer to these days? I mean you probably been apart of this Galactic War no doubt," He asked, leaning forward.

The War in the galaxy indeed felt like useless cruelty, and Seto enjoyed any missions that took part away from the battlefield. But the war wages on regardless who pays attention. "Unfortunate turn of events for a lot beings in this galaxy for sure, and it must be difficult to protect the peace when so little of it exists right now." He added. I can be the good soldier and loyal servant or dutiful guardian, but creating peace is something that exceeds my comprehension, Seto mused to himself.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled at Seto’s response. Sometimes people took offense at the slightest thing, so she gave even good-natured ribbing carefully. Did Seto really have a thick skin? She did not know him well enough. And even if he did, she did not want to rely on that fact to avoid coming across as rude.

“I hope we shall learn from each other,” Lilla replied. “That’s how the Master-Padawan relationship is supposed to work. “And I intend to allow you to learn, as opposed to teach you. There is, in my opinion, a distinction. Subtle but important. Self-discovery is a hundred times more effective than a lecture. If not a thousand-fold.”

“And as to the Jedi Order,” she paused for a second, clearly choosing her words carefully. “It is not so much that they have splintered, more that they come in many forms. Many governments have a Jedi Order that serves them, or at least a collection of Force sensitives. As a whole, as far as I can tell, we all share the same ideals, but go about it in different ways. I am part of the Order that serves the Republic Remnant.”

“Sadly, we have lived in a time of chaos and war for so long now, it can be seen as some as the norm, although I will always strive to bring balance to the galaxy – albeit in my own, small, way. But many minor efforts add up to a large effort I believe.”

"It almost seems our Galaxy has never known peace, or need to be reminded of the sweetness that life brings," Seto sighed, doing so as he leaned back into his chair, "-Regardless, Master, since you have a vastly different upbringing than myself I have a question for you," Seto started, his eyes targeted another white chocolate ball on his plate he had gathered for himself.

"How much can you forgive? I mean, myself for example I hardly hold grudges and am a bit of pragmatist when it comes to 'loathing' someone," He asked, fingers curled around another treat as he fixed himself yet another to enjoy. "-Not that I'll be saying 'sorry' a lot to you nor I doubt I will ever need to, just wondering about the difference of forgiving someone or simply not caring to be bothered anymore. . . To which I feel I fall into that later group," Seto explained.

"It is just fascinating to me that someone can have that much inner peace and still care for the galaxy around them, while on the other hand I found my peace by just not caring anymore," Seto confessed as he ate another white chocolate, "-It honestly helps me enjoy stuff like this a bit more if anything," He added with a short laugh. We all have doubt, doubt that our life matters or if anything around us matters in the end, always curious about those who have no doubt Seto mused silently.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla listened to the question – and the nature of it confirmed her thoughts about Seto – about the veneer versus the person underneath. He had it in him to be a fine Jedi.

“Forgiveness?” Lilla rolled the word around her mouth. “That’s an astute question. You see, I tend not to be judgemental, which means – in turn – I rarely find myself in a position to have to forgive anyone.”

“I cannot and will not condemn anyone for past transgressions. I am not coming from a place of condoning them, but the past – from my current perspective – is the past. I focus on the present – and if I do so, the future takes care of itself.”

“Self-forgiveness is another matter, and I offer the same advice. Before I go to sleep each night, I ask myself if there is truth between my heart and the Force. If there is, I can sleep soundly. They say the best way to avoid the need for forgiveness is to never make a mistake. But in my experience, people who never make mistakes, never make decisions.”

“Learn from them. Make yourself a better person because of them – and do not repeat them. Simply said – and, you will be surprised to learn – just as easy to put into practice.”

“You will never have to say sorry to me. Never. Think, act and reflect. Keep that simple mantra in mind and the times a potential ‘sorry’ comes up will diminish. Mistakes will happen because of incomplete information, or variables outside of your control, or even a decision taken when the odds are stacked against you. But, if the same data was presented again and you would choose the same action – that was nothing to be sorry for. And if you would change the decision because of the benefit of hindsight? Again, why apologise.”

“But apathy? That is a dangerous path. Making decisions based upon logic and no emotional input – that I am comfortable with. I aspire to be like that. However, there is a difference between apathy and not caring. You do not need to care to be a Jedi necessarily – but lethargy is not a positive trait.”

“I hope I’ve made at least some sense.”

"Well, if I have to wait for my heart and the Force to feel amicable with one another before I fall asleep, I'll never get a wink of sleep," Seto chuckled softly as he leaned forward once more. Offering a quick nod in agreement he added "- But you're right it seems, at least to me, so I'll keep it all in mind," Honestly, that wasn't what I expected, he thought more of the legends and stories he heard before of the Jedi, and his expectations were obviously skewed.

"Though I would hope you won't become completely apathetic Master, else I would have just asked a droid to be my teacher instead," He commented, he never found himself largely apathetic, in fact he was certain most people would have simply labeled him selfish on most cases. ​Astute observation on myself but perhaps I too can be prone to misidentifying my own nature, the thought hardly amused him though.

Seto mulled over his next thought a tad, looking between Lilla and the baker repeatedly, "You know this galaxy has plenty of those with only logic and rational in mind, and more than enough with greed fueling them but it often seems we leave out the ones with the most precious gift to offer," Seto explained, his gaze returning to Lilla, rolling back his shoulders, "-Those with aspirations no higher than offering a comforting moment for their loved ones, such small little things that fill this cruel galaxy with something I consider worth to live for - and protect even," He finished with a small shrug.

Stretching his hands upwards and putting back on a small smile Seto leaned back once more, "-So is there some sort of rite of passage I'm suppose to do? And does the Republic offer any special privileges to their Jedi Guardians?" Seto asked finally, frankly he wondered if he would need to acquire his own luxuries.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla listened and finished her chocolate, wiping the corners of her mouth with a napkin, before taking a welcome drink of water.

“It’s a good idea to dispel the myth that there is an archetypal Jedi. Some sort of blueprint we all have to be living up to. We are all individual and consider the Code in our own fashion. Indeed, there have been many variations of that Code over time. To some, the original version still holds true, whilst for others, variations make it more relevant for them in this day and age.”

“I am more of a traditionalist – but I know this much. For every so-called rule, there is a well-documented exception. So treat much of what you learn as guidelines. And once you are sure of your boundaries, it is self-discipline that will keep you on the right path.”

“Some Jedi Orders are tolerant of dark-siders, others ambivalent and yet others entirely opposed. Some Orders believe in the tenet of possessions, others allow their Jedi to run corporations. The key is to focus on why we are how. That should be essentially the same for all Jedi. How we go about it will differ slightly and what we do to deliver on our core value might diverge significantly. I cannot and will not get hung up on those aspects.”

“Ensure you do not allow attachments to influence a decision, and it matters not if you are an orphaned pauper with no friends – or a billionaire with a litter of offspring. I would never dream of judging for these reasons.”

“OK, I’ll admit I find it a little uncomfortable when those that pay no attention to the Code label themselves as Jedi – but I’ll get over it,” she smiled as she said this. “But the dark-side is where I draw the line. I cannot comfortably work with anyone who uses the dark-side of the Force. And this is generally where the Jedi Order of the Republic Remnant have to be sensible. We do not decide who the politicians choose as allies or even allow in their ranks. But for now, they have made a stance on this issue.”

She smiled again. “I will guide you and will always do whatever I can to help you become the best Jedi you can be. But I will also allow you to make your own mistakes – non-lethal ones, anyway.”

“And as for a rite of passage? No, none. Step one is finding a master – someone willing to train you. Which you have. Otherwise you attend lessons, study and follow the Code. Go on missions, that sort of thing. Then, when you are ready, you can become a knight. Sometimes Padawans undertake the Jedi trials, others are acknowledged due to exemplary work. There is no single approach.”

"Well I'll try to hide how I awesome I am so we keep our partnership for as long as possible, don't want to prematurely earn the rank of Master," Seto responded, a bit too nonchalantly. I mean, I am me and knowing me it'll be hard to pretend to be less special but I'll manage it somehow Seto mused, slowly standing up.

"Asides, most of the near lethal mistakes I've committed have always ended well with me," He explained, a grin growing as he gestured to himself, "-And well I'm a pretty humble person too, perhaps the most humble person. . . Right Old Man!" Seto called out to the baker Mr Oro.

Only a grumble and an unintelligible mumble came in as a response, "Overwhelming me with love here Mr Oro," Seto added as another mumble was heard, perhaps along the lines of 'Then choke on it' but Seto simply shrugged it off. Deep down I know he cares, perhaps it's pretty deep down, but its there.

"We all have attachments Master, to our Code or to our government or to even a goal we want to achieve but I see your point of making sure to take care with making our judgments," He spoke, a thoughtful expression returning to his face as he pushed his chair back in.

"Speaking of making judgments, what kind of missions do you believe are best for me? Battlefield combat out in the wars or weeding out criminal and corrupt agents?" He asked, his eyes gleamed a tad. While wars weren't his particular favorite mission types, the battlefield often gave great potential to conduct the most minimal effort for the most gain. "But perhaps you have some questions for myself? Like if you can use my tab here in this shop?" Seto asked with a small smile, "-The answer's yes of course," He added.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. Everyone was different, and that was what made the galaxy strong – and life interesting. Jedi were not automatons, mindless individuals that simply followed orders. Instead they were living, breathing entities, with minds and opinions of their own.

Lilla knew that Seto would have an impact on her own personality – she was often accused of being too formal and taking life too serious. Whereas not the total opposite, Seto was definitely cut from a different cloth.

She knew his humour would not work with everyone, and that might be a part of his personality he would need to be aware of. Not change – that was not appropriate – but modify in certain circumstances. Situations where others might not appreciate he was joking. Like about his humility.

He ‘was’ joking, right?

And she listened to his aspirations and once he was finished, she smiled and asked her first question.

“Missions – and the battlefield – are places where trust is important. Others will put their lives in your hands. I would appreciate an understanding of what you know, Force-wise – and what you believe you still need to learn.”

"I can be as trusting as I am humble, Master, more so even when I consider my past battle field records," Seto nodded reassuringly. "-But on the subject of my studies, I've focused the 'Art of the Small', I don't have the stamina to maintain a drawn out battle. So I tend to focus on specific points of attack," He explained his overall focus of study these past few years. Seto had a fondness for making his opponents feel frustrated or unbalanced, it usually grants Seto a better chance of surviving.

"The Art of Movement and Small, working with the Force to focus small attacks on specific targets. Things such as a small Force pull to increase the speed of which attacks are thrown or even have others over deflect my attack to expose themselves," He added with another nod, "As you can guess I can be very careful with my engagements and knowledge of my own limits, over all though the saber technique Niman serves me very well,"

"As for my weaknesses, well-" Seto tapped his chin with a finger as if trying to find any fault with himself, "-I haven't really gotten too deep into reinforcing my knowledge, while I'm able to focus on individual threads of clothing for example, I usually stop there for fear of overexerting myself," He admitted. While Seto was aware of how greater application of study could lead to better outcomes on the battlefield, Seto always believed with enough outside support and planning (From outside the Force) he could find himself coming out ahead.

"I may be a gambler, but I make sure I minimize my risks and load the deck towards my favor. I mean, it's not like I'm afraid of death, just the opposite really. You can't enjoy life if you're dead, you can't learn or grow or change. " Seto added with a concerned look, "I mean, I guess there are Force Ghosts, but I don't think they can enjoy chocolate," Shrugging the last thought.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was still unsure if Seto was joking with her or not. Or perhaps he was simply being entirely factual and saw no boasting in his words. She decided to hold judgement until she knew him better.

Lilla nodded at Seto’s analysis of his abilities. Self-awareness was important to everyone, especially Jedi. “You might consider Shatterpoint,” she added, “It may prove useful to you – although it is not an ability that is universally learnable – there needs to be a natural affinity too, it seems.”

“And I would encourage learning more about the Code and its application. You do not need to be a walking encyclopaedia of Jedi knowledge, but you do need to know what is expected of you. It will help put decisions you make into perspective – and I suggest would improve them potentially too.”

“So, is there something particular you’d like to learn, or would you prefer to go on a mission?”

"Show me a great library and I'll show you a great culture," Seto voiced, while the chance of obtaining knowledge of the Force never drove him with excitement he respected that aspect of the Force. While the application part of studying the Force required Force Sensitivity, the knowledge acquired had always allowed anyone to grow and learn. Studying holocrons and datacards worth centuries of knowledge fascinates me to no end Seto thought quickly.

"I heard murmurs of such talent, 'Shatterpoint', but the dedication to master such ability left me curious for other more easily attainable talents," Seto explained, truthfully there was a component of fear of failure and wasted time, but Seto could hardly admit such fault, "-Of course, I will commit more time into studying such ability, perhaps it is within my grasp," he added quickly.

Seto moved and leaned on the table as he crossed his arms over chest, his eyes turned to Lilla with a nod, "A leader once told me that the most fundamental quality he found in the people of the galaxy is that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable," he gave a thoughtful expression as he gestured towards Lilla, "-I'm very interested in seeing with my own eyes how we few Jedi face trails of unfathomable stress and dire, and come out with honor and grace through it all," Seto added, he straightened himself as he stood up. That old man was quite intense, but for myself I'll regret dying sure, but at least when death comes I'll be happy that I've done enough.

"Perhaps one day we can both work through our own humility, and find pride for one another," Seto suggested, the faintest grin tugged at the corners of lips doing so, "-While I prefer learning on the job, I can be quite a good observer, the Studies Halls never scared me, so I don't mind the mediation and focus required there," Seto explained, his arms relaxing towards either side. I can learn plenty with either path, but there's more to learn through action.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

“Books are only as good as the people that read them. Sadly, the Archives are – in my opinion at least – under-used. You don’t need to be a book-worm to enjoy them, but so much information can be gleaned from them. I have used them to study saber duels – so many are held on record, often recreations – but more recently they have been captured on camera during skirmishes. The delight of surveillance drones!”

Lilla smiled. “Never confuse easy with good. Anything worth dedicating time towards will be so enriching – especially as so many decide, like you, that say they can’t spare the time. Few Jedi understand Shatterpoint, let alone can say they are competent at it. You don’t have to cram any learning, consider it a longer-term project. And who knows, once you start, you might just enjoy it.”

She listened to Seto’s observation. “Most people,” she countered, Most people. A Jedi will not seek an alternative to death if it is the right outcome. Because we do not fear it the way most do. I will die. You will die. That is not up for debate. Only the ‘when’ is up for grabs. I would lay down my life in an instant to save another. No deliberation, no qualms.”

“Maybe that is the serenity you observe. Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. I live one day at a time, accepting any hardships as the pathway to peace – taking this galaxy as it is – not as I would have it. Not my words by the way – but ones I live by none the less.”

“Be the best Jedi you can be, and you can sleep easy – knowing you have lived a good life. That is all anyone can ask of themselves. And in honouring each other, we can be proud of our actions. So…decide…what shall we do next?”

Most people, well I guess most people indeed fear death as much as others love life Seto nodded as he thought about her comment on her own serenity. A beautiful word, a word Seto had not heard for a while and perhaps for good reason. Rarely had this young Inquisitor known a sense of calm or peace, his eyes flickered away as Seto moved himself to face a different direction. Can't be thinking any of that now.

"If I don't need to change out of my clothing, I say let me help you with your missions for the Republic and Order," Seto answered. "-And well, I doubt the Library will be moving anytime soon, so that can wait," He added with a small chuckle.

He turned to face Lilla again, "-Unless of course The Order has its Library stored on ship, in which case we can have it come to us." A smile now spread across his face.

"I've been saying 'You're right' a lot recently, while not a particular terrible situation I find myself in, one has to admit that if luck doesn't exist than the Force has a rather particular sense of humor to have us meet," He added as he made his way towards the door. Seto waved at the old baker, who simply shrugged at him as the baker continued his work. "-And while you'll probably never approve of my parlor tricks and mischievous games, I was quite good at them. . . but perhaps it's time to learn to be good at something else," Seto commented, offering a small innocent shrug towards his new Master.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla laughed softly. Seto was different to her – not in a bad way – just different. And his humour and enthusiasm were infectious.

“We don’t precisely have a library on board my ship, although many files are easily accessible via a datapad. But what we do have – and not every ship can say this – is a Jedi Holocron. Master Obi-Wan Kenobi’s to be precise. Anything he learned, he can share with you – up to the level he believes you can handle.”

“There are many things he knows that he won’t share with me yet – says I’m not ready. So, I trust his judgement and am patient.”

“And luck suggests chance. If the Force planned for us to meet, then it was never luck, was it. It was careful manoeuvring on its part. Fate, if you believe in it – is not the same as luck. I do not subscribe to either, but I am more kindly disposed to fate. Not as an abdication of my own actions – but as an explanation that explains something like today’s encounter.”

She stood as Seto prepared to leave. She offered thanks and a small bow to the baker and then fell in behind her new Padawan.

“So…a mission? I have the perfect starter.” Her smile widened to a grin. “Being a Jedi is more than lifting objects with the Force or waving a saber around. It is instead as much about solving conundrums – be that investigations or deal-brokering. So, your first challenge is to find my ship. By whatever means possible.”

She caught herself. “By whatever legal and ethical means you have at your disposal.”

"You want to tie my arm and leg behind my back as well?" Seto asked, feigning disbelief and hurt. Walking back out into the streets of Nar Shadda he ran his hands through his hair as thoughts bounced through his head. Finding her ship shouldn't be too difficult, Seto had some idea of where to start as he had previously bought off several dock agents to keep his own ship off the record. But does she mean not to break any laws specifically enforced on Nar Shadda? Because, that's like telling a human to only breathe oxygen.

Seto offered Lilla a wry grin, nodding in the affirmative, "What if I buy you a new ship, and you can that yours and well I completed my mission?" He asked, his eyes not hinting towards a joke. His hand reached down to grab his commlink, Seto mused he could use some different contacts to scan through any registry to start removing some possibilities. Unless she hid herself and try not to draw attention to herself or her ship.

"I mean, you did land your ship here correct?"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. It was common for anyone – let alone a Jedi – to think in very narrow ways. “Give a man a hammer, and he sees every problem as a nail. Being a Jedi takes a blend of abilities – and it is too easy to rely on the Force to solve every problem. But sometimes the challenge is a screw, and the hammer is useless.”

She listened to his initial offer, but ignored it. Then, he asked her a more useful question.

“Good. Too often we forget to ask questions – and even if we do, we habitually ask them of the wrong person. Whereas I won’t give too many clues, I can help you. Yes, I landed it legally.”

Well at least it won't be in orbit or at any nearby shipyard. Seto personally avoided landing his ship in any public docks or hangers, but since Lilla had mentioned her ship legally landed on the surface it would make his search that much easier. He moved closer to Lilla and focused on her facial expression, she wouldn't give many clues but there were more ways to gain information than just outright expecting answers from questions.

"May I also know you ship's name and type?" Seto asked, "-If not, have you ever heard the game twenty questions?" Seto added, his hands clasped in front of him as he held the comlink, ready to key in the information to his informants. They're technically my employees, or contract workers, nothing illegal there. . . probably, maybe, perhaps but nothing too much really. . . . yeah

He did not intend to lose a game of hide and seek to a ship.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla gave the ship’s type – it was a standard Republic Remnant light freighter (except it had a plethora of upgrades).

“If I gave you its name, it wouldn’t be a challenge, would it? You’d make one call and you’d find it. No, I want to see a little more detective work.”

She smiled. She was clearly teasing him, but not in a bad way.

Oh but that's all I need to make a single call and- Seto only grinned as he quickly brought his commlink up and sent along a message. He imagined that the docking agency continued to understaff itself and over rely on droids to pick up the slack, but there Seto had managed to land a somewhat loyal friend. I mean, he's not exactly loyal he mused silently as he waited for a response.

"Detective work? I've made it habit to study people and learn all that I can, looking for secrets and such," Seto responded as he took a few steps forward, fingers interlocked with one another as he waited, "-Never know where you can find hidden treasure." He added with a quick nod.

The commlink beeped and Seto chuckled as he looked at his message, Now let's see which dock- oh Seto raised an eyebrow as several listings began to show. His narrowed as he scrolled through all the possibilities and he wondered how popular such a ship was ​or rather similar ship, they just sent me half of the planet's starports a sigh seeped through his lips as he mused on his next action.

A few steps forward Seto groaned at his misfortunate, no doubt Lilla wouldn't specifically detail her exact time she docked nor would she provide any real specific clues that would make this challenge, well, not challenging. Seto wondered if checking every star port his informant gave him would be the only method, in fact the urge to throw more credits at the problem crept into his head.

Seto quickly walked back to Lilla, his grin slightly smaller than before, "Are you able to communicate with your ship and your ship can respond back?" Seto asked, "-Not using remote controls to get your ship here, but a simple ping back and forth between you and your ship," He added. Seto had no intention from the start to use his own ship for his next plan, but unfortunately Seto felted compelled to use anything at his disposal.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom