Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A notorious den of degeneracy

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla didn’t expect the task to be too taxing – the lesson to be learned was not necessarily how to find a ship, but rather the sometimes mundane nature of Jedi work. Sometimes a powerful Sith or high-ranking crime boss was undone by routine detective work.

She watched the varying emotions of Seto, as he clearly thought he had a good lead, only for it to evaporate. Given she had no plans to find a Padawan, she’d made no special effort to hide the ship – it was exactly where she would typically leave it.

And, her responses to his questions were based upon what a typical suspect would do – for if she gave him too much help, it would negate the element of challenge. Crime lords rarely complied when you sought evidence to bring about their downfall.

“I could…but I won’t. Think, what do you know about me? What information might narrow your search?”

[member="Seto Du Couteau"]

If I can't triangulate the comm signals anymore I could possibly use some other information from- Seto continued to exhaust more options as he slowly twirled himself in a circle. A finger tapping his chin, his thoughts filled with possible new ways as he finally stopped pacing and stood still for a moments. Oh.

"It appears I'm fighting a battle against myself," He sighed wearily, ​The nearest starport was one of the largest on this planet and most suitable for anyone wanting to travel with the average citizen. Seto nodded as he turned to face Lilla once again with a sadden smile, "-The star-port nearby is large and is more frequent by most travelers to this planet, I doubt you would make use of expensive private star-ports - unlike myself - and unlike ships in orbit, you don't need a second ship to get up to the docks up there," Seto explained to mostly himself.

Seto turned his body to face the direction of the Star-Port, "I thought this was an elaborate way to humble me, not that I need it of course I'm very humble naturally, but I've spent the majority of life playing against others just want to win or beat me," Seto chuckled softly, "-And the other half that instruction is best met with loss and introspection after defeat," He lamented lightly of his past.

"I never even imagined you were different in your way of instruction and teaching," Seto admitted, "-I apparently am more fallible than I realized," His grin grew with a small nod of acceptance. ​I guess I'm too paranoid of others, though Inquisitors aren't paranoid without cause or reason. "So am I right with my assessment?"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla remained calm and patient. Sometimes it was not thought power that brought down criminals, but nothing more than hard work. Making visit after visit to search down leads, it was often leg-work that provided a breakthrough. Who said the life of a Jedi was in any way glamorous.

“Don’t look to overthink this,” Lilla advised. “Often the simplest solution is the best. And your line of reasoning is sound.”

“And don’t ever expect me to act in any win-lose scenario. There is no competition between us – or between me and any Jedi for that matter. I may set challenges that stretch you, but none will be designed on the basis that I expect you to fail. None.”

“So, please carry on.”

"You have no idea how I relieved I am about yourself not wanting that kind of Master Student relation, makes forging relationships easier when I don't also have to look out for my replacement," Seto smiled as he nodded and grabbed his commlink once more, his mind decided to make their journey slightly easier.

He ordered a taxi to assist with their travels, Seto hardly saw the distance as too far but why walk was the question in his mind. He gestured for Lilla to move closer with him, the streets indeed was crowded but gaps opened up and soon his vehicle would come to pick them up.

"Overthinking is a talent of mine one can say," Seto shrugged but gave a solemn nod, "-but I can be a bit excessive with my problem solving, well more than a bit I guess," He added with some uncertainty. Or a lot too, perhaps there are more words to describe me than I first realized.

"I called for a vehicle to cut our walk down and so save some time," Seto nodded once more as he waited for his ride to arrive. It was a private company and Seto had learned that spending large amounts of credits successfully often yielded great rewards down the line. Securing loyalty and trust as I was taught, trust that credits are there and loyal to the person supplying the credits.

Not that Seto found such ideas to last long, but he figured they would last long enough. For the taxi vehicle in question, it didn't take long to pick them either, to which Seto nodded approvingly. He turned over to Lilla and gestured, "I hope you won't mind me offering up some luxuries from time to time, I can be a generous to a fault."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. Seto’s heart was in the right place and she was already beginning to understand his ways and sense of humour. At least, she believed it to be humour.

She got into the taxi with him – it was no crime for a Jedi to ride in one – but it was a waste of credits. Lilla had no personal wealth, no bank account. Everything she needed was provided for by the Jedi, and she had enough credits to pay for the essentials – like the next meal. But she recognised Seto had his own credits and so allowed him to spend it any way he wished.

“Saving time is useful, if a mission is time-bound. As is arriving fresh, on occasions – so do not apologise. If there is a need, you do what is necessary. And as long as I don’t become too use to luxuries, I’ll not object.”

"Ah, but that's the beauty of indulging yourself, you'll get use to it far quicker than most things and not even notice it until your credits run out," Seto joked as he stepping inside. He leaned over to the droid pilot and gave it the location to the Star-Port, it wouldn't have taken no more than ten minutes or so to reach it on foot, but Seto rather wanted to avoid the streets for the moment.

Seto eased himself into his seat, his hands slowly clasped in front of him as he leaned forward as to let his head rest on his clasped hands. "Have you ever been tempted before with the assurance of great power or immortality?" He asked, "While I claim to possess neither, certainly a chance to obtain great power to change our galaxy must be quite tempting," He added with a questioning gaze. Without any chance of onlookers peering into their conversation, Seto leaned a tab closer to hear her response.

"I've never been offered such proposals before, and if you have well - I promise I won't be jealous," Seto included, his smile tugged at both corners of his lips.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla chuckled. “You forget the fact that I have no credits. I never had any when I was a slave, or a scavenger, and that hasn’t changed since I became a Jedi. The Order covers all of my needs – but I have no income, and no need for one either.”

“And as for temptation? The simple answer is no. I crave neither of those things – even at the suggestion that either would somehow save the galaxy does not encourage me to act against the Code. It is there for a reason and the I suspect too many Jedi have gone down the route of believing they'd be the exception to the rule of falling to the dark side."

"So no jealousy required. I'm here to play my small role in a much larger machine. No more and no less."

"There is an old saying about power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely. Take heed."

"My Master, don't fret for I have plenty of enough credits," Seto nodded, his eyes casted away towards the window as the lights moved swiftly. Someone who conquered their shadow it seems, she's indeed confident he mused silently, his hand rubbed his chin lightly. He learned quite early, that the darkness in anyone's mind can be the most terrifying force in this galaxy. Technology and weapons simply allow the tangible manifestation of such horrors to reach more terrifying heights. Why look into a mirror than?

"Oh, corruption happens of course but I do not believe it comes directly from power," Seto responded with half a shrug, "-Such deadly corruption is far more cunning in my own opinion," He added, a slight shudder at a memory that flashed in his mind. "No, if this galaxy has given us ample of, is enough reasons for corruption to blossom; Love, Greed, Devotion, Faith, Duty, and Hope." Slowly Seto removed his hands from his face as he stood back up straight and leaned against his seat.

The young Du Couteau heir sported a small smile, "Don't sell yourself short my Master, your gear in my own machine has a very important part," Seto suggested as he felt the taxi slowly begin its decent.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. "Credits do not concern me. I wouldn't know what to do with them, even if I had them. Give them to charity I suspect. One for the homeless. And you're right, corruption does not have to stem from having power. Not always. Emotions play their part too - which is why the Jedi are taught to put them aside. Not to avoid having them - we all have them, it's what being human is all about. But acting upon them? That's where we draw the line. Which is possibly why so few Jedi are corrupt."

"Even the smallest cog is vital, i know that. But I do not overplay my part in the galaxy - or even your life. Nor do i underestimate the impact I could have. But it is mostly down to you. I can show you a path, or even a destination - but you choose where to walk. But I trust I show a potential direction that is compelling enough for you to seek it out."

A slave girl gifted with powers willing to serve all, and myself, what an interesting partnership for me Seto stared off once more towards the window, the city's skyline visible as the taxi sped onward. He found himself amused with how stark the difference was between each of their beginnings and how their path had crossed. "You and I cannot be anymore different, or similar even, I mean not that similar but funny in a way, I guess," Seto chuckled through both his clenched hands covering his mouth. I shouldn't feel bad about it either but-

The taxi slowed to a halt and the door slid open, Seto gleamed outside and turned to the droid and offered his thanks before stepping out. Gesturing towards Lilla, "You Jedi are indeed interesting people, shame I haven't met you sooner," Seto smiled widely. He moved closer towards the Starport and looked around, noting the busy nature as more people filled in and out, perhaps leaving Nar Shadda for ill or good or coming to for ill or good. And that's what keeps me coming.

Seto offered a quick nod, "Of course if we had met sooner, I shamefully admit that my younger self was a tad on the angrier side of things," a nervous chuckle followed as he gestured with his free hand towards the Starport. "-If I could gain access to the security room and check for recordings to locate which hanger bay you came from I complete my mission?" Seto asked, both unfortunate and fortunate he had contacts here to help him gain access but ​They'll get antsy if I start bringing in Jedi looking people, his never wavered but he knew he needed to conduct his due diligence.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

"The Padawan-Master relationship is based upon mutual learning. And so, by definition, I stand to learn most from someone I am different to. You will change me and vice versa. And for the better, I am sure. There is no perfect anything, let alone an archetypal Jedi."

"And I shall take interesting as a compliment - or at very least, not a negative." She smiled warmly, she was clearly not offended by the statement in any way. "And the one thing I would suggest, is that you don't focus on the negatives. You are who you are because of your past. Use it positively. If you regret some things in the past, merely use that as a resolve not to do the same again."

"And feel free to use any legal means to find my ship."

"There's that word again, Legal, might as well say no fun." Seto commented in a mock hurt tone as he moved away from their Taxi. Seto quickly headed to the direction of least amount of people. Often security wasn't seen with high regard among the locals, but that suited them just fine as fear didn't require respect Mostly. It turned to more of an understanding, don't do stupid stuff on or near the Starport, wait until the security couldn't see or bother to care anymore at some distance away to do what you want. Here though Seto had made a friend among one of the logistic officers, less friend and more indebted acquaintance. Not like it'll take long, but all the same it won't matter with him. Probably.

Seto gracefully maneuvered through a torrent of new arrivals, easily weaving through the rather anxious crowd as Seto approached the rather empty looking desk of the security detail. Save the Logistic Officer in question sitting behind the desk, Seto had thought he would have needed to clear a path to get to him quickly. Well, best not to look a gift horse in the mouth as they say.

"Eppy, pretty empty here, nothing the matter with the ports or people here?" Seto asked, curious.

The Logistic Officer Eppy turned up, as if surprised he gave Seto a wide stare before answering, "-Um yeah, it's been-" Eppy paused for a long moment, "-Pretty boring really, I mean, is there something you want from me Mister Du Couteau?" He asked finally.

A soft sigh and Seto only shrugged off the small worry, Probably nothing but better to get things done faster all the same "Yeah, I need to check out your security feed, and just today's security." Seto responded quickly.

A skeptical look, though Eppy had already held out a security pass and key for Seto to take, "So our fav-" but was quickly cut off.

"Yeah, and tell me if something important comes up okay?" Seto grabbed hold of his key card and pass as he walked closer to Lilla.

"I'll be in that room, the Logistic Officer Eppy gets a little shaky if I bring anyone else but myself into the room. Won't take long, and this is perfectly legal," Seto quickly explained, taking a few steps backwards, "-I think," he muttered as he turned about face and headed into the security room.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla continued to find Seto amusing. Not in a cruel or patronising way, but as a result of understanding his sense of humour.

She stood a few feet behind Seto as he spoke to the officer and suspected that typically credits change hand – unless of course many of the officials were on retainer. The how on this occasion was less important. Lilla herself had been known to bribe an official to get some information. Sometimes the need to do the right thing was not enough for bureaucrats and given she would not resort to physical threats, it was the least uncomfortable of the alternatives.

Once he’d secured access to the information he needed, she was sure the rest was straightforward and nodded her acceptance when he asked to enter the room alone.

“I’ll wait here for you,” she said. “I promise I won’t go anywhere.” She smiled and glanced around – spying a caf-stall nearby. “I’ll be over there,” she added, and headed over to choose a beverage.

Well as long as she doesn't talk to my security guy, Seto marched quickly into the security room, his eyes scanning several displays and open terminals. A lone probe droid scanned Seto, his Keypass and Card quickly confirming the droid's programming that he was allowed in this room and to use the devices present in the room. The screens displayed the current happenings of the Star Port, all the travelers and whatnot, Seto quickly found himself sitting in front of a terminal, his fingers dancing across the keyboards and inputs as he reserved the footage displayed to him.

Almost as if Seto had done this countless of times, never would he admit to any such accusations tossed his way, he found the particular footage he needed. There in the large crowd, heading outwards in the city he spotted his newly minted Master, Now I know when she was here I could look at different areas of the star port and scan for around this time. Seto practically lived Lilla's life, frame per frame, his eyes focused and keen to know where she entered from and which docking bay number her ship could possibly had docked.

Almost got it and- Seto's thought interrupted as Eppy the Logistic Officer quickly went to grab his attention with a rough shake on Seto's shoulders. Seto turned and gave him a questioning gaze, "You gotta leave soon Mister Du Couteau," Eppy responded to his gaze, a sense of urgency that Seto quickly picked up on.

"Care to explain what's going on?" Seto asked as he walked out of the security room.

Eppy looked sheepish, rubbing his neck before explaining, "We got a a small turf war about to happen, the Hutts organized it so it doesn't bloody their streets and since this Star port is big enough well," Eppy only shrugged.

Seto only nodded in understanding, but a biting sigh still did he give to Eppy for giving him this information. Something that should have been mentioned earlier Eppy my pal. Seto only continued to walk outside and was about to take another step forward to find his new Master before he felt once Eppy grabbing his shoulder.

"Hey, so the Imp- I mean, your Employers are going to handle this kind of stuff soon when they come right?" He asked, the price of working for a Crime Lord and such the seedy nature of Nar Shadda itself often allowed many credits to be earned but such credits could only give people a large enough distraction before even the lawlessness of this place could sour the credits taste.

Like now it seems, Seto mused as he shook his head, "Doubtful and look, I don't think relying on my Employer to help anytime soon is a wise action." Seto responded, urging silence on the matter as Seto pulled himself from the Logistic Officer. Seto hoped that the man had saved the credits that Seto paid him, because he knew the future of this galaxy and that it was about to get a lot dimmer.

He scanned the area, noting that it was a lot more crowded earlier and now it appeared many of the denizens and travelers heard the rumors of the turf war about to happen. They all want to leave before it starts of course, Seto easily found his new Master by the caf stall and approached her quickly with purpose.

"So, I've narrowed it down to four different lifts leading to four different docking bays, so let's do some trail and error perhaps?" Seto asked, slight urgency infecting his voice despite his best efforts. Best not end up in a fire fight between these gangs. "How fast can you walk also?" Seto added with a tiny grin. "Don't want to get caught between two groups having a very aggressive debate on ownership of specific land is all," He explained quickly.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla took a while to choose a drink - then chose a simple caf...the one she always chose. It was not a lack of imagination, or even because she was a creature of habit. It was the array of choice that was slightly overwhelming - added to the concern she might choose one she didn't like as much as her favourite.

She had only taken a few sips when Seto returned, and she could instantly tell he was on edge. Being a Jedi, it went with the territory. Being a natural empath only made her sense of his discomfort more acute.

"Good detective work," she said, as she took another sip. "I can walk quite quickly, but I'm not so sure we should rush anywhere. I'm not going to pretend I can mediate, but if I can prevent some deaths, then it would be wrong to simply walk away."

"Am I right?"

Of course.

"Help? Seriously?" Seto asked, but he shook his head with a hand rubbing his temple, "-No, of course you are perfectly serious," He sighed dejectedly as he offered a quick nod. He had always made it habit to steer clear of larger issues and problems that never directly affected him, mostly, doubtless he had been embroiled in larger Galactic conflicts but always kept his footprint shallow.

Seto gestured behind him, no doubt the larger wide room that interlinked with many of the hallways and acts as sort of a main hub for the travelers would be the spot for the fight. "These folks are not here to swindle some credits from some passerby, and what more the Hutts won't be happy when they hear that someone spoiled their plans for these gangs," Seto explained briefly, he knew that there was some larger thing at play and whatever game these Crime Lords were playing at required a lot of dead gangsters apparently.

"I can scare them from fighting, possibly, maybe, probably," Seto offered, he patted down his sides and quickly his two lightsabers dropped from beneath his vest and dangled on either side of his hips. "-It'll be touch or go, depending on who exactly are engaging in this fight," Seto added with a nervous chuckle at the prospect of being stuck between two gangs ready to kill one another.

Even claiming to be an Imperial Inquisitor wouldn't dampen their mood, like at all probably.

"What's your plan?"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

“I would not be much of a Jedi if I walked away from conflict. And an even worse role model if my first act with you was to turn my back on a challenge — just because there does not appear to be an obvious way to succeed.”

“Sometimes, as a Jedi, it is not about making the right decision. Or even the best decision. Sometimes, you have to understand what is the least bad outcome and — as long as you abide by the Code — you will have done the right thing. For the right thing is rarely the easy thing.”

Then she smiled, and an almost mischievous gleam appeared in her eyes. “Plan? If there’s one thing you’ll learn about me, it is that I often work best when I improvise. Yes, the Code says plan for success, then plan for failure — but plan for success first. But at times like these, planning takes too long.”

“So, I intend to seek out the leader of the first gang that arrives, and see if I can talk with them. See what it will take to settle matters without blood-shed. For there is always another way — even for crime lords. But they take the path that’s easiest.”

“We just need to show them an alternative. One that gives them a better outcome.”

Oh no.

Seto realized at that instant, that perhaps he should have just grabbed her and walked away. ​Now instead, she wants to improvise to deal with them. He had always been someone who enjoyed extensive planning, even his card tricks and gambles Seto always prepared well ahead of time. Taking a glance behind him, Seto started "I-I, um, I guess that's a plan." He admitted a bit uncertainly.

"I agree that we should do something, being a good Jedi and all, but if we try to convince one side to back down it would only give the other side a notion of weakness of which they will strike at," Seto explained as he shook his head, "-I mean, we can try to persuade them to not fighting today, but what of tomorrow? I think the best we can do is containment," Seto added as he offered a sympathetic shrug.

Truthfully I believe more people need to understand a healthy dose of cowardice. Seto knew he would need some more discussion and studying on self sacrifice and choosing the harder option with an easier and better option might be available. Seto started to move closer to the larger clearing in the room and noted it was quite vacant and he knew the calm wouldn't last long.

He walked closer and noted that his Logistics Officer friend had already left, and Seto shook his head at the issue presented before him, "Better outcomes often doesn't mean longevity for their enemy. For some simply allowing others to live causes hatred and resentment, maybe we can convince some to choose a different path but for those that shed and lost blood in this game, well forgiveness isn't even in their dictionary,"

"But regardless Master, l will follow you lead." Despite my better judgement. For Seto though, perhaps his new Master could show him that avoiding large and difficult tasks should be embraced.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. “Planning has its place – and I would not advocate against having one – but life as a Jedi does not always afford the luxury of time, and to learn to rely on a plan under time-constraints is not the smartest of moves.”

“It can make you nervous when having to improvise, and when will and imagination are in conflict, imagination invariably wins. So best to focus on what’s possible under the given circumstances.”

“Let’s re-consider the notion of a plan then, to make a middle ground. Success would be both sides back down, given we convince them that they have no chance of making things better for themselves, only worse. And failure would be to simply avoid bloodshed today. They seem like sensible extremes, and right now I’d be happy with those options as book-ends on the spectrum of possibilities.”

“The first thing we need to do is find the decision-makers. And given your local knowledge, I suspect you’re best place to point us in the right direction.”

Seto rubbed his neck, giving some thought as he gestured to Lilla to quickly follow him, "In which case we cannot allow these two groups see each other, let alone meet on the battlefield," Seto urged as he sped up his pace to getting closer to a run. "I-may. . . have. . .built up some connections here," He admitted a tad sheepishly.

I had hoped I wouldn't need to draw on those for situations like this, Seto inwardly sighed as he realized that this probably would set back his work on this planet back a few steps. He could only but imagine the ramifications that his private dealings would suffer through if particular word would get to a certain Hutt Lord. If he had stake in this game, if he does, Seto shook his head to clear away his darker thoughts and focused on his task at hand. His feet continued to carry him quickly towards one of the hallways to their left, easier access and larger lifts to carry a lot of people at once.

"There's some quite murderous intent coming from this direction," Seto commentated as he gracefully maneuvered though the hallway and into one of the lifts. "-Tremendous display of Force will bring us their attention, I can accomplish that easily enough, but when I usually deal with these kinds of situations I'm usually no where near this involved," Seto explained, slightly fudging some facts. More so, I helped arrange some of these gang fights when I needed distractions and such really. Not exactly something he intended to admit openly at such time to Lilla.

Their spacious lift descended quickly, all the while the murderous intent turned more into an aura that Seto knew perfectly well, ​Anger such as this, quite easily manipulable. Seto closed his eyes and slowly, with purpose, he grasped at the Force and with concentrated focus he found several individuals. All their minds hyper focused towards the lift and he could feel their killing intent but also uncertainty as some confusion as to why the lift was coming down.

Seto moved hid mind and slowly focused solely on the fingers holding the blaster, two hundred forty fingers exactly but Seto than narrowed his focus on the thumbs. Forty eight now, and with twenty three blasters to grasp before they fall and accidentally misfire. He couldn't freeze all of their bodies, nor could he do so as he disarmed them. Instead with simply pushing the thumbs back nobody would be able to grip their weapons, freeing up a lot of his concentration to focus their blaster weapons and yank them freely off of of their person.

"Master, once those doors open, I'll be able to grab their attention and then some," Seto explained, "-Once I disarm all of them, it won't take long before many of them will resort to more basic violent inclinations unless their Leader commands differently, bearing lightsabers will only exasperate the issue but we'll be under a tight timeline to get them to see reason." Seto added, his eyes still closed as he refocused his efforts on the Force aspect of his plan.

"I'm not a religious man, but I pray they see reason today, and if not, well maybe credits can blind their rage instead," Unfortunate Seto wasn't exactly sure if he had enough credits, or enough prayer.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom