Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A notorious den of degeneracy

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
“I can only be who I am – and live by the values and behaviours I see as right. The Code is both explicit and implicit. It is not the only way to live your life, and I would be wrong to suggest everyone else follow it. Or even the version I adhere to. Jedi have had many iterations over the millennia and my take is just one of them. But there are central themes, regardless of what era you see as most relevant. And mine preaches tolerance and avoidance of judgement.”

“Magic?” Lilla echoed, thoughts clearly racing through her mind. “Hyperspace, is that ‘magic?’ The Force? If you can’t explain it, it becomes magic in the mind of the observer. Until it becomes mundane, and we accept it as the norm. Like space travel. Unexplainable by most – but taken for granted.”

Lilla lifted a piece of litter from the sidewalk using the Force and deposited it in a nearby bin. “Magic? When does magic end and a trick begin – and where does it overlap with science? And – at the end of the day – does it truly matter?”

“And to your second question, I’m not sure if I chose the Code, or it chose me. And that’s the interesting part. Before I had heard of the Code, or even Jedi, I lived my life by a set of rules. A moral compass if you will. I was destitute and often went days without food. But nothing would make me ignore my internal code for the sake of a meal. It was, and is, unshakeable.”

“And then I met the Jedi and was introduced to the Code. And it matched my own view of life. Sure, there were extras and references to specifics – but…deep down…it was congruent with my own beliefs.”

“My point is that, had I never found the Jedi, I would be living a life akin to the Code regardless. I do not follow the Code because I am a Jedi. I am a Jedi because I follow the Code. Does that make sense?”

[member="Seto Du Couteau"]

"Magic is for the enjoyment of others," Seto offered, a bit deflated at the notion, "-The real trick for any magician is to make people believe in the impossible and wonder if the impossible is possible," He added, a small attempt to convince himself mostly.

Moving along side Lilla, he gave her a small nod, though his eyes tracked the piece of litter and with a quick pull of the Force he dragged another litter into his palm. "It's the mundane in life that magicians and the like who attempt to create amusement and laughs from those very mundane things," His fingers gently folding the badly worn out wrapping.

With gentle fingers and a quick blow of air, Seto concentrated on each fold, and before long it resembled something akin to a strange bird. "So the Force guides us, much like a river guides water, of course we can only imagine where The Force leads us," Seto responded, his new little creation of the wrapper Origami I think the practice was called.

"Sounds me though, that you're one of the lucky ones, fitting yourself nicely into this mess of puzzle the galaxy has given us," He responded, his smile returning, a bit larger of course. "-This galaxy tends to destroy compasses, with help from others of course," Seto slowly muttered the end of his words. Eyes darkened but quickly flashed away as his smile shrank for a moment.

"Days without food though? I can barely function without Caf for more than a few hours," Seto questioned, "-You already said you wouldn't accept the power to save the galaxy, should such power even exist, so I shouldn't be all that surprised. But still, no food?" Seto sounded a bit surprised at the idea, not that there existed people who struggled more than he, but anyone with such conviction always astonished him.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded. Magic, as Seto explained it was about performance – as opposed to fact. In part, the innate desire to see if you knew how the trick was done – to outsmart the magician. And for some, to make them believe that the magic was real.

A Jedi, on the other hand, cared nothing for the theatrics – or what people believed. It was the outcome that mattered, for the Force was used for good, never for personal gain.

“Making people happy is not to be underestimated,” Lilla said. “Be that a song, a painting, a dance or even a magic trick. But it is not the Force – and should not be conflated. And you’re right, we apply our moral code to our actions, but the Force has a strong current and cannot be easily avoided, not if you want to remain true to the Light Side.”

“Am I lucky? Perhaps. I have found a vocation – which is, for me, a perfect fit for my own ideals. But perfect in every sense? Perhaps not.” She wrinkled her nose. “Many say I am too fussy, too strict – on myself, not others. And I believe they are in part correct. I have exacting standards – which are not too stringent, but they will cause me to challenge and question when others might go with the flow. For I go with that metaphorical current of the Force – not one the politicians dictate, or even other Jedi. I cannot – no, not right…I ‘will’ not compromise. May it be my undoing one day? Perhaps, perhaps not. For truth between my heart and the Force is more important than anything else.”

“The test is not what we think, or believe, or philosophise to be the truth. The true test is what we do when faced with a situation in real-life. When forced to choose, then you’ll know which way your compass points.”

"Compromises makes life easier to navigate," Seto pipped in, "-But to only those that seek an easier life, of which I feel as you are not entirely interested in achieving. Conflict creates and destroys of course, but stagnancy in comfort degenerates the soul," He added, a soft exhale towards the end as he realized that perhaps he was living a too soft of a life. But too much action might end up killing me.

Seto quickly stepped up his pace to start walking in front of Lilla, confident he was not going to run into anything, "You are a stalwart Jedi, a Knight who stands tall as the storm swirls violently around you and the light of the Force gives those without strength hope once again. And your shadow casts relief to those burnt from the flames that lash out." Seto declared, his arms gesturing towards Lilla.

With a small bow, he straightened back up, "You may not think much of the stories we tell one another, especially those that are told after we are all gone from this Galaxy; but I see a Legacy that can inspire those to turn towards the flow of the Force and with your flaws give those with unbelief with themselves that they too can achieve your standards," Seto added, his smile faltered towards the end.

I guess I am just a sappy romantic? "-Of course, I fear no matter what I do; regardless if I fight for the side of Light and against those who wish to abuse their strength and power against those who have none, I can never claim to be a true Jedi. Least, to your level Master Lilla," Seto explained, "Just as you have such faith in yourself, I share none such faith in myself." Maybe, maybe not, but most likely.

"I can make jokes and make some laugh, cast illusions and magic to have others amazed and tell grand tales so some can dream better dreams. But, you offer something more," Seto claimed. A small nod of his head, he returned to Lilla side, narrowly missing one of the support beams of the port.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

“Compromise is a funny one,” Lilla responded. “Some say it’s essentially a lose-lose scenario. Neither side gets what they want. Maybe that’s a little harsh, but it doesn’t hurt to remember it when someone suggests a compromise. Don’t give up what is truly important just to seek an agreement. But then, nor should you did your heels in for the sake of being a winner.”

“And I’m flattered by your description of me, truly. Almost embarrassed. For I am, in my honest opinion, just an average Jedi. Maybe I am less inclined to sacrifice my ideals — but that is my only legacy I suspect. Be true to who you are. No more and no less.”

“And here is the secret,” she added, her voice dropping to an almost conspiratorial whisper. “I have no faith I’m anyone, let alone myself. No…I trust in one thing and one thing only. The Force. It shall never let any of us down. So, don’t fret about your abilities, instead be thankful that your ally is the Force and a more powerful ally, you’ll never find.”

She smiled. “Apologies to Master Yoda for plagiarising some of his most famous words. So, what I offer and every Jedi before offered, so can you. For we each call upon the same Force, after all.”

A genuine smile appeared on the young Du Couteau heir, "Another fickle thing, that is Faith or even Hope for that matter," with a slow shrug he nodded once, "-My words are for grand tales and stories to excite those who otherwise find themselves without a emotion to push them." Seto explained with a whimsical smile.

"While I'm sure you'll have some disagreement with how I dilute the truth for the sake of a better story, the fact remains that just as how we ally ourselves with the Force, others who ally themselves with the very same Force use it for rather unpleasant actions." Another shrug and his smile grew smaller.

"And so, if we must preserve the truth of the Force from does that misrepresent, how else best to do it than with stories of Legendary Heroes." Seto explained.

"We like to hide truth, or at least what we see as truth; and personally when it comes to emotions and opinions of this galaxy I believe sweet lies, much like candy, can bring about smiles in an otherwise sour galaxy," Seto added, his smile wavered but remained.

"What story do you envision will be told of you?" He asked, his eyes filled with earnest curiosity. Even as all the galaxy writes theirs stories, many others silently and patiently waits to hear and listen.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled at Seto’s philosophical words. It showed an imagination, which was never a bad thing – and it reinforced his love for the theatrical – which was often a blessing for Jedi, if not overdone. Some were far more down to earth and Lilla saw a balance of the two entirely healthy.

“I wonder how many truths in the past are considered legends and how many legends are considered truths? The fact is, we’ll never truly know – and so we should use the past to guide future actions as opposed to rigidly enforce them. Use past glories to emphasise the good and encourage the right way – even if they prove to be allegories.”

“So, my story is largely irrelevant – as long as it provokes the right sort of future. If I were held up as a bad Jedi and used to warn future generations of potential mistakes, then I will have helped in a positive way – regardless of the truth. Which is a very philosophical view of course, and partially unhelpful. If, and I presume this is what you really want to know, I could choose what is written about me for generations yet to come…I’d like to be remembered as a simple Jedi. One that followed the Code and not only did things right, but did the right things.”

“And if I was going to be even more specific, I’d like it to be recorded that I helped train the next generation of Jedi – and I taught them to respect the Code and trust in the Force.”

“What about you?”

"Well, you'll be surprised to know, I don't know really, least not in the grand story I weave for myself," Seto replied with a thoughtful expression. Eyes looked up to the ceiling of the Star Port and his ear turned to the sound of space craft's engines. The threads of this galaxy that form the narrative were countless as the atoms that encompass the very same galaxy.

Keep an open mind as the saying goes. . . "I wish to connect with as many threads as possible," Seto admitted, his thought now spoken as he realized he had done so out of context. "Sorry distracted myself. . . -I often think of how life can be rather larger than expected. I can set myself to play a piano, and no matter how long I can play I can never seem to find the right melody." Seto explained as he gestured with his hands, a quick twirl and flutter of his fingers. So many harmonics we call lives, echoing for adventure and cause for life.

"So to answer your question, well, I'm still trying to figure out how my melody goes, but I don't mind replaying or trying entirely different compositions, as I hope to lead myself into the masterpieces that I hear in this galaxy," Seto finished with a small gleam in his eye. "I hope that answers the question, honestly it is difficult to dream of our future when we only have our past and present to draw from." He added with a thoughtful expression, his fingers silently taped his forearm.

Seto offered a smile, "You say that the story you wish to be remembered should be one of a Simple Jedi training more Jedi, but I'm sure you can agree that no life of a teacher is ever simple," Seto added a wink towards the end. "But if you ever wish for me to play you a song, I would ask that you learn as well, so that one day we can entertain one another." He suggested, a hopeful expression to once more teach someone a new talent.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla enjoyed paying attention to others – in part because, as her old master used to say, you only learn when listening, never when talking. For people opened up your mind to possibilities – which was always a good thing, even if you chose not to take heed of them. The more data you had, the more information you could say you knew. And information led to knowledge – which in turn led to wisdom.

Seto’s response was not straightforward, but then neither was the man. He was – at the very lease – deep and undoubtedly complex. More so than many she met, and Seto seemed to understand this.

“No,” Lilla agreed, “Life is never simple. Although with understanding, it is possible to make it more so. Some strive to make things complicated – maybe because with complexity comes, in their opinion I suspect, some aspect of mystery. I, for one, prefer to keep things open and transparent. If I can’t explain something clearly, I suspect it means I don’t understand it.”

“And then,” her smile widened, “Sometimes I am a more typical Jedi teacher and talk in a riddle to ensure the student listens and thinks. Providing the answer is less than half of the challenge. Supplying the right questions is far more useful, I believe.”

“And I am always eager to learn, it is – after all – a Jedi trait, born of the Code. If there is something you believe I could benefit from, share it with me. And similarly, if you require anything of me…well, you just have to ask.”

He understood the difficulty to learn new things, present example of course, for Seto though half of the allure was the difficulty and newness of new talents. He guessed that Lilla shared similar thoughts on such matter, but no doubt for different reasons and intent. Seto chose to learn new things out of benefit for himself, and Master Syrin for the Jedi and the Code. And music is hardly a needed talent but all the same. Seto mused, his silent thoughts as he figured a way to best argue for talents that otherwise do not offer direct benefit.

Seto spun around to face Lilla again, "Force Users, like us, posses the ability to call upon the Force around us, and we must understand the flow of the Force around us," Seto recited, he knew the Force but what had always failed him were the ideas of how to understand the living Force. The variety of musical instruments no doubt rival the number of Orders dedicated to an aspect of the Force. So the choice of instrument hardly mattered. "-With Music, you see a different flow, a new understanding of how things interact and most importantly a way seek something more, abstract even." Seto explained.

"Don't think of this as an ask, but more along the lines of an urge or suggestion." Seto added, his smile softened as he thought of his first attempts to understand music. I do believe I made my instructor quit on his first day. Not a particular proud moment for the Young Du Couteau heir, but a moment none of the less. "-Also, it's quite fun."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was not invariably pedantic, but sometimes the subtle use of the right – or wrong – word was of vital importance. To call out a potential conflict might be seen by many to be harsh, but to Lilla, it was better to be honest than misleading.

“I would say a Force user calls upon the Force. A Sith definitely looks to command it. A Jedi – in my opinion a true Jedi – well they do the Force’s bidding, not the other way around. Yes, we learn and use the abilities, but for the benefit of the greater good, to honour the Code. A subtle distinction, but a valid one I believe. We are not the composers, or even the conductors. I see the Force and the Code in those roles. I…well, I play my part.”

“And as for the more literal interpretation, I surmise you’d like me to learn to play an instrument. Which I’d gladly do – although it’s fair to say I have no natural aptitude for anything creative.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom