Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A journey to an ice-covered hell. [Silver Jedi Order - Rangers]

Then

"Well, it's all actually pretty ergonomic," Jyoti replied. "It wouldn't be much of a hinderance, but it's always nice to have options in case of technological failure."

Jedi of the Silver Order were taught to be well rounded, to take advantage of everything around them for success (within reason). They freely embraced technology and the benefits it brought to reduce their burden.

"Please don't look at this as some kind of trial. I just want what's best for you, which is why I'm willing to stay behind to see that you receive the attention that you need."

Her expression softened as she reached out to stroke Charlie on the shoulder. Jyoti could be hard, but she wasn't needlessly cruel. She harped on her apprentices only when she needed to make a point.

She held out her other hand, and a moment later, Charlie's bag blinked into existence. It hovered in place by Jyoti's telekinesis, until she grabbed the handles, and then passed it to her apprentice to take back.

"You know the worst thing about all this is...you didn't bother to share with me."

[member="Charlie"]

[SIZE=10pt]The comforting motion by her Master, made Charlie nod and understand that this wasn’t something she should be feeling on the spot about. She couldn’t it, Charlie didn’t want to disappoint Jyoti especially after the whole twinkie wrapper fiasco. Shaking her head, the padawan didn’t want to stay behind, she was ready for a mission. It was annoying always being in the temples and never getting any sort of action. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Frowning, Charlie didn’t realize that the information she had just told Jyoti was something she should have relayed to the woman when she had first added her to the repertoire of padawans. Rubbing her nose, slightly embarrassed Charlie shrugged. “I’m sorry Master, I didn’t really think about telling you. It’s something that’s normal in my life…I didn’t know we would be going somewhere so cold.” She took the pack and kept it closed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]She figured it wouldn’t be wise to shove any of the twinkies in her mouth. “Without equipment how would I keep warm. I’m assuming something with the Force?” [/SIZE][member="Jyoti Nooran"]

Then

"It's alright," she said, giving Charlie's shoulder a pat. "Here I probably should have taken some initiative looking more into your history. I suppose this is a learning experience for both of us."

"Well, let's go and let me show you some things. It'll just be Force techniques. We can read up on conventional survival methods on the flight there. Feel free to dig into your stash along the way. Eat to your heart's content when we're not occupied."

She started walking away in the direction of one of the gymnasiums in the base at a leisurely pace. Unlike like the training halls of the temple proper, the gym was filled with Rangers in dressed down in exercise gear playing indoor sports or running along the inbuilt track that ringed the area above.

Within the gym, she found a quiet corner and settled there with Charlie.

"So, as far as the Force goes, there are all sorts of methods to contend with the cold. I'll start with the most basic and well-known method, Tapas. You simply draw in the Force to maintain homeostasis, keeping up your core body temparture and circulation. While channeling Force energy for this, it helps immensely if you visualize the sensation of warmth. You can hold my hand to get a feel for it yourself."

She rolled up her sleeves, then offered a hand. Through tactile feedback, she was offering Charlie a chance share the sensation with her in a very limited version of melding. A private person with a great many secrets, Jyoti was rarely comfortable opening her mind to anyone, not even her apprentices.

[member="Charlie"]

Allies: Antarian Rangers, Silver Jedi, [member="Jyoti Nooran"], [member="Charlie"], [member="Valkren Calderon"], [member="Roona Osmari"], [member="Marl"]
Enemies: None yet
Engaging: Nobody, speaking with [member="Valkren Calderon"]

Beltran had found a small section of space on board the transport easily enough. The Lorrdian hadn’t been part of the pack who’d clamoured on the ship like a bunch of stampeding Gundarks in order to scout out the most comfortable areas to sit. Comfort, like complaining, was something Beltran had little use for. It hindered effectiveness in his opinion. It was better to maintain a certain amount of discomfort in any given situation, to keep one alert if nothing else.

He’d expected [member="Valkren Calderon"] to make his way over ever since he’d called out following the briefing. Beltran hadn’t spoken to the Colonel since entering the basic training and part of him had to admit he held a certain trepidation about doing so. As he’d expected, Beltran had done very well in nearly all aspects of the Ranger training. The transition into new and interesting ways to fight had seen the Lorrdian augment several skillsets he’d already had, while quickly mastering others. In that, his drill instructors had been more than a little impressed-despite the fact they had worked to make life as difficult for him as possible.

Beltran held no hard feelings on the matter however, it was their job to break the recruits-if only to build them back up in the image of a perfect Antarian Ranger. In that, Beltran had ensured that they would fail. Discipline and skill he’d already had, and the training had served to hone both those things into a fine edge. Honor and duty? Well, he’d faked those enough to pass the training but they meant as little to him as they ever had.

As the Colonel approached, he would find Beltran organizing his kit. His firearms for the mission: a KG-1B Neutral Particle Rifle, a SSR-05
Sniper Rifle and a Ranger SSM-02 SMG with a grapple attachment lay on the floor. Beltran was ensuring that they had all been properly cleaned and maintained during their stay in the Ranger armoury. Like most of the others, he wore the black under sleeve for the Katarn armor they would be using. He had it only done up to his waist. The lean muscle of his arms was visible as he worked, for his only wore his green, Ranger issue undershirt on his torso.

Various pieces of the Ranger armor sat stacked on his seat, awaiting similar inspection. While several of the other Rangers sported tattoos-both military in nature and otherwise-Beltran’s pale skill was untouched, except for the various scars and other marks it bore. The most recent of which, he’d acquired on Alaris Prime during the very mission that had led Calderon to recruit him.

“Hello, Colonel.” Beltran said quietly as his superior officer came to stand next to him. He waved away Valkren’s offer of a smoke politely.
“No thank you, I don’t smoke.”

Beltran remained quiet for a moment before answering the next question, carefully modulating his words. “I found the basic training very…informative, sir.” He told the Colonel. “In particular, I enjoyed augmenting my skills in stealth and other forms of non-standard combat. As well, I found the basic field engineering courses most interesting. I intend to follow-up further with more in depth studies into the subject when we return to Kashyyyk.”

There was another pregnant pause, as Beltran searched for what to say next. He’d never been a particularly social man, but for some reason he didn’t quite understand he felt the need to make the man standing next to him an ally, if not necessarily a friend. “And you? How have you been since we saw each other on Alaris?”

Now

Near the departure time, Jyoti trickled onto the landing pad with Charlie. In place of her normal white Jedi robes, the Echani was now decked out in her black Shadow Armor (sans the helmet). Light and flexible, it would allow the Jedi to fight with little hinderance to mobility. More importantly, with a dedicated life support system, the cold wouldn't be much of a concern.

However, as an added precaution, she had fitted Charlie's armor with additional power packs for her life support systems, and a personal osmotic field generator to warm up the surrounding air in her immediate facility. The field would make her light up like a life day tree on scanners, though, so it was set off by default.

Once they got into the transports and lifted off, there was no turning back. She tried to keep cool in front of Charlie, but she was concerned about Charlie's well being, if she was prepared for the challenges they faced even after a round of training.

The weather wasn't the only danger they faced on Niflheim.

<Last chance> she informed her Padawan. <If you don't think you're ready, then we don't have to go.>

[member="Charlie"] [member="Beltran Rarr"] [member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Marl"]

[SIZE=10pt]Then[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Charlie was surprised at the seclusion that Jyoti could find in the gymnasium. As the woman explained the process of Tapas, Charlie absorbed it and did her best to understand what the concept was all about. To use the force to retain her body temperature in the extreme cold, she wondered if it worked the other way around as well. Right now, the Padawan needed to focus on being warm. Watching Jyoti, she reached out and touched her Master’s hand. Feeling the connection between them, she could feel the warm sensation flow through her and her Master. Charlie pulled her hand away and blinked. “So that’s Tapas…” Mentally making a note, the little brunette felt a bit better about this whole thing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Now[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The sound of a wrapper echoed near the transport, but was gladly drowned out by the other noises in the area. The Twinkie was then soon shoved into her mouth happily. A more relieved feeling came from the padawan as they headed towards the transport. She ate another Twinkie and the cream fell onto the front of her black armor. Before she could do anything about it, Jyoti drew her attention from her treats. Knowing how the Jedi Master felt about her eating at inappropriate times, Charlie shut her bag and placed it away. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shaking her head, Charlie knew she wanted to go on this mission. There were several precautions that were in place to make sure she didn’t die. Musing over her new skill, Charlie felt she as getting better and becoming more independent. A hand waved as she was more worried about how awkward she looked in the shadow armor than she was worried about the chilly weather. <I’m okay. How do you keep this armor from giving you wedgies?> [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]At the mention of the wedgie, Charlie squatted slightly trying her best to get her undergarments from riding up, there was also a little dance involved, but as they got closer it seemed to be handled. The cream now forgotten remained on her cheeks and the front side of her armor. Charlie couldn’t help but feel extremely important and wondered if when she became a knight and a full-fledged shadow, if she would be able to do her own modifications to the armor itself. There was going to be a lot of day dreaming on the way it seems. [/SIZE][member="Jyoti Nooran"] [member="Beltran Rarr"] [member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Marl"]

Then

As they briefly connected through touch, Jyoti could feel the fears that troubled her padawan. Fear of failure, leading to being dumped back on Tython. It started to make sense why she had been so insistent continuing with the mission despite the risks it posed to her health.

"Oh Charlie..." she said, training momentarily forgotten. "Don't do or say things just to please me. Everything that I do is for you, so that you may become a good Jedi Knight like I know you can be. I'm not going to send you back to Tython because we may have differences. Kashyyyk is your home now, or wherever you want to call home."

She leaned in to give Charlie a half hug with one arm.

"You are my apprentice, and I like to think my friend as well. I'm here for you always."

Now

<I see the problem.> she replied, looking at how snuggly the armor fit Charlie in comparison to her own. <I think you may want to cut back on all those twinkies.>

As per usual, Charlie was a mess of cream and crumbs, much more apparent against the backdrop of the jet black armor. One of these days, she was going to have to sit Charlie down for some proper etiquette lessons to break the woman of her poor habits.

She stopped in front of the small gathering of Rangers, giving everyone a wave in greeting.

"I didn't introduce myself at the briefing before, but I'm Jyoti Nooran. I'll be joining you all with my apprentice Charlie in a support role as we investigate the facilities for paranormal activity."

[member="Charlie"] [member="Beltran Rarr"] [member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Marl"]

Then

Jyoti spoke and Charlie stared at her. The fears she held silently were revealed when they touched. It partly scared the Padawan, Jyoti no knew some of her deeper fears and she didn't know if it would end up being a bad thing. The coldness she had been experiencing from Jyoti suddenly faded and the Master she met on Tython returned.

Nodding, Charlie was pulled into the half hug. Affection wasn't something she experienced much from Jyoti. The hug was different and she leaned into the Master the best she could to show her appreciation. When she was released, Charlie shrugged and nodded once again. “I don't want to embarrass you again or disappoint you. You believe in me and I want to make sure your faith isn't misplaced.”

A small crooked smile flashed on the young girl’s face. “I want you to be proud of being my Master.”

Now

Charlie's eyes went wide as Jyoti mentioned her love of Twinkies were making her armor not fit right. The Padawan glanced down and examined every aspect of her armor trying to understand the tightness. Maybe she wasn't wearing the right underwear and began to wonder what her Master used. Before she could ask, Jyoti was introducing herself and Charlie to the rangers.

Small footsteps followed Jyoti and stood slightly behind the woman. When she was addressed, Charlie waved and offered a smile. It was then she realized the cream and crumbs on the front of her armor.

Quickly she wiped it off and then tucked herself behind Jyoti away from the eyes of the Rangers she was speaking to.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"] [member="Beltran Rarr"]

Colonel Calderon took the cigarette from between his lips again, exhaling smoke into the air within the dropship, adding onto the stale tobacco smell that the rangers had already left behind.

In all honesty the special forces operator had not expected the ex-hitman to speak up so clearly, even with protocol to respond to ranking officers. Perhaps his time with the rangers had caused the man to open up.

Good to hear.” In truth, Valkren knew that Beltran had done exceptionally well in basic, and he had wondered why there was so much downtime before his deployments with the rangers. A soldier like him could be a vital asset in places where Valkren’s unit often goes.

I’m sure you’d be interested to know the raiders have been following up on that Kavarr fella’ from Alaris Prime.

Valk’ removed the cigarette again, flicking it away to the side before reaching up to rub his jawline.

The lizard sure was ready to advance on your old clients’ territory.” A smirk tugged at his lips, a very similar look that could be compared to the one covered in face camoflauge on Alaris Prime.

Guess you don’t know anything about that though, do ya?

Suddenly, their conversation was interrupted by a PA style intercom within the troop bay of the Luna troop transport.

“Colonel Calderon, we’re approaching Niflheim. There’s, uh..A slight problem. We’re going to need you and the Jedi Master up here in the cockpit right away.”

Valkren tipped his patrol cap up slightly, glancing up as if the voice’s source was actually up in the speakers.

I’m sure we’ll find some time to talk ‘bout it eventually.” After this statement, Valkren pulled down his cap and moved toward the front of the dropship. In a few moments, he’d be passing by the area of the troop bay where the Jedi Master was introducing herself and her padawan to his own troops.

Before clambering up a short tilted ladder toward the cockpit, the colonel raised his voice. “Believe we’re needed in the cockpit, Master Nooran.

After reaching the next level in the transport, he’d look over his shoulder at the Jedi master that was supposed to be close behind him.

Your padawans just get more and more exciting, don’t they?

Valkren followed a tight corridor to the cockpit section of the transport, where most of the crew members rested.

“Master Jedi, Colonel. How’s it hangin’ folks?” The co-pilot, ‘Tex’ spun around in his chair. He’d flip up the protective visor that shielded his eyes, his voice was slightly slurred due a thick pack of chewing tobacco between his gum and lips, a habit that Valkren had only recently kicked.

What’s the word, boys?

“Once we got in range to Nieflheim, we sent another transmission t’ the mining camp.”

And? They hear any word back from the team that went missing?” Valkren placed both his hands above his head to grasp onto anything he could to stabilize himself while they spoke.

“See, that’s just it. We still haven’t gotten anything back from the camp..Just static.”

Feth..

[SIZE=11pt][member="Beltran Rarr"] | [member="Roona Osmari"] | [member="Charlie"] | [member="Jyoti Nooran"][/SIZE]

The Lorrdian regarded Colonel Calderon evenly as the man spoke to him. In truth, Beltran did know a fair bit about what Valkren was talking about. In the months since he had taken the Alaris Prime contract, Beltran had delved into the inner works of Kavarr’s network. At first, it had been for a simple reason: His client had yet to pay him in full. But now, as his contacts picked apart the Hutt’s finances a little,

Beltran was beginning to learn that the creature was in league with some very nasty people. People who, if Beltran was interpreting the information correctly, had had a hand in driving him off of Lorrd and murdering his former employers.

“Nothing at all,” He responded to Calderon’s half-hearted question. He knew that the Colonel knew that he was lying. The time might come when Beltran brought what he knew to Calderon. But first, he needed to be sure that the Colonel was somebody he could instill a measure of trust in. Trust was something that didn’t come easily for the Lorrdian, and his line of work had only made it even more elusive. Still, he thought Calderon was an honorable man.
That was a trait could prove useful.

Their burgeoning conversation hadn’t a chance to move any further before the PA announcement called for Calderon and the Jedi Master Nooran to the cockpit. Once they were gone, Beltran quickly finished his weapons inspection and donned his armor. With his kit fully set, he moved over to where some of the others were standing. His attention was drawn to a somewhat awkward young woman who’d introduced herself as [member="Charlie"]. She’d been the girl with the pastry from the briefing earlier.

“Hello,” He said to her, his voice neither warm nor overly cool. Reaching into one of the pouches of his tactical rig, he pulled out a pastry of his own: exactly like the one the girl had attempted to eat during the briefing. Holding it out to her, he continued. “You might want to eat something. You’re likely going to need the energy where we’re headed.”

[member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Jyoti Nooran"] [member="Charlie"] [member="Roona Osmari"]

Roona Osmari

R
Turning slightly, Roona took her gaze away from the spot where Colonel Calderon had stood with Specialist Rarr. Brow furrowed, she focused on the top of the helmet that was cradled in the crook of her arm. The dark surface was scuffed and scratched, but otherwise in very good condition. The same could be said for the rest of her armor pieces. Roona’s eyes shifted slightly; soon her shoulder would bear the insignia of the Radama Raiders – an image that had been carved into the plate before her first mission with the Special Forces group.

Blinking, she glanced up to see that Clark was looking her way.

“You glad to be back in action, Echo?” He asked.

Forcing a small smile, she gave him a nod. Little did he know that, unlike the rest of the team, Roona had not received the call for the mission. But she was here now, and she would do her duty just like the rest of them. The key would be keeping the bitter feelings at bay, a task that she was already finding difficult. She knew better, these feelings could get her killed. Distractions were dangerous.

“Yes, looking forward to it.” Roona answered finally.

Rolling her shoulders a couple of times, she tested the range of motion. The injury had healed, but she felt a slight stiffness as she moved. It’s nothing, she told herself silently. Instead of dwelling on the thought, she decided to busy herself. As the other Radama Raiders talked and joked, she let their voices fade into the background. Momentarily setting her helmet down at her feet, she placed her armor on. Though most of her comrades had decided to wait, she figured that it would be best to be ready.

Fingertips slid over the carved reaper on her shoulder piece as she worked it into place, perhaps it would bring her luck today. And Roona knew… she would probably need it.

[member="Valkren Calderon"], [member="Beltran Rarr"], [member="Jyoti Nooran"], [member="Charlie"]

One of the soldiers present gave a greeting in a neutral tone, then proceeded to pass Charlie another wrapped Twinkie like the once she had just been munching. Oh goodness, even Rangers are starting to pick up on her habits.

Ever biased, Jyoti would have preferred that Charlie have picked up a craving for Swiss Rolls, the superior confectionary.

There were a few more greetings exchanged between the Jedi and Rangers, then Jyoti waved Charlie inside to take their seats. Everyone else packed into the transports and they were off for the nearby star system.

The ride itself was uneventful, Jyoti taking the opportunity for some restive meditation before the operation commenced upon touch down. There was often no telling how often these missions could take, but she expected she wouldn't be getting much shut eye until her return to Kashyyyk.

​Meditation was interrupted as Valkren addressed her personally, teasing her about her Padawan.

​Her silver eyes fluttered open, and then she leaned back into her seat, smiling a little.

"On the contrary, Charlie is pretty tame. She's still just acclimating to life among the Silvers."

Compared to the characters she had previously taken on as her apprentices, including a borderline alcoholic and a schizophrenic, Charlie was quite laid back. She never gave Jyoti grief, and always seemed willing to learn to make up for any shortcomings. Respectful and inquisitive, these were prized qualities to the Jedi Master. She was a joy to to teach, even if Jyoti didn't always appear enthused with her on the surface. She was a hard woman that demanded excellence from her pupils.

Now that she had Valkren's ear, she felt like engaging in some small talk, but then they were both summoned to the front of the dropship. There was still no word from the mining camp on the surface, so the crew was looking for guidance.

​For a few moments, she centered her focus on the planet, probing for any signs of trouble. Any Force Sensitives on board may have felt her channeling a great deal of Force Energy in the process as she put her macro sensory skills to use.

For a icy rock like Niflheim mostly devoid of life, she had an easy time picking up on some faint disturbance. Something was definitely wrong on the surface.

​"Colonel," she addressed Valkren as she pulled back from the Force. "I have a bad feeling about this. While we investigate planetside, there needs to be a quarantine established. No approved craft should be allowed off or on the planet until we ascertain the status of the garrison and mining complex."

[member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Charlie"] [member="Beltran Rarr"] [member="Valkren Calderon"]

Someone spoke to her that was unfamiliar and instantly the urge to run and hide triggered, but she fought it and looked over at the man who spoke. He wasn’t cold or warm about the greeting, but Charlie sort of wished he was one way or the other. Would make assuming if he liked her or not easier, also help her distinguish him in the ‘totally cool’ or ‘yep should avoid’ categories. For now, Beltran would remain in that gray area. That was until Beltran did the greatest thing anyone could ever do for Charlie.

He gave her food.

Blinking rapidly, a smile spread across her face as she took the snack cake and examined it. “Thank you.” Charlie wasn’t much for words, but she looked around and quietly opened the package. She could feel Jyoti’s judgement in the air, but at this moment she really didn’t care two bits about it. She had a snack cake that wasn’t floating in some recess of the unknown space. Charlie wondered if she’d ever see that bag ever again. Bowing her head slightly to Beltran, she once more thanked him and then was waved over by Jyoti to take her seat. She didn’t pay much attention to the Master beside her, until she got up to leave.

Like a puppy, she blinked and watched Jyoti walk off leaving her there alone. Looking around her, she stared off confused. Where the heck was Jyoti going and why was she being left behind? Finishing off the snack cake, she made sure nothing was left behind on her face or armor. She didn’t need another accident of cream clinging to the black armor. Something in the pit of Charlie’s stomach started to form, she knew it wasn’t the snack cakes, but something else. Remembering what Beltran had told her she looked towards him and frowned.

“What is out there?”

[member="Jyoti Nooran"] [member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Beltran Rarr"] [member="Valkren Calderon"]

Walking Weapons Platform
“AAAAACHHHHoooooooo”

Vertigo thundered a sneeze in the back. Shaking it off.

“AAAAACHHHHoooooooo”

Small spaces. Frell it.

Belted up in more gear than god. The huge iron tank in the back of the dropship was keeping quiet. Must have been about 3 guns on him, and the one in his hands was bigger than the man sitting next to him. Corporal Rok Dex was in two seats, the groove cut out of the middle to fit his bulk keeping him from crushing it with his half ton weight.

Slowly lumbering up as the dropship came in, two guns were clipped to his back and the third in his hands, a pistol or two on his belt and grenade belt around his shoulder.

“You sure you brought enough?” A ranger remarked.

“Wouldn’t let me take a fourth.” Dex said deadpan, his low base voice rumbling. Never have too many guns.

STOMP STOMP STOMP his feet clunked the metal, taking his huge 8ft 3 frame ducking low out the door. Waiting for orders. [member="Valkren Calderon"]

The Colonel folded his arms across his chest piece as he leaned over one of the monitors to the side, still displaying a mission briefing and details on the mining expedition and compound that were located on the planet

"I don't think that'll be a problem, Master Nooran. Looks like the rest of the planet doesn't have any civilian outposts. The mining team and the group that rotated from the compound seemed to be the only people there."

He squinted, scrolling back through the details once more by taking a hand out of his folded stance and giving the monitor a good swipe.

"Although, there is a record from one of our satellites in this system of a cargo ship that wrecked some time ago..Here, just a few miles beyond the area where the mining team went missing."

"Sir? Without anyone at the compound to guide us in, we'll be blind flying through these storms." Tex spoke up, fidgeting with several gadgets as the two transports prepared to enter Niflheim's atmosphere.

"We have a general location of the facility, right?"

"Yes Sir."

Valk' soon nodded after this response, following up with a statement of his own before exiting the cockpit to prepare his team.

"Then take us in slowly, be sure the other pilot stays close on your tail. You two have gotten us through worse before, Tex."

"Aye sir."

Valkren wanted to turn immediately around and question [member="Jyoti Nooran"] about the situation at hand, and what she thought about it. However, he knew they'd be breaking atmo' almost as soon as they entered it, so he'd have to prepare his own armor and keep the team's pre-mission briefing short. Although, Colonel Calderon wanted to put his money on a group of pirates, common enemies for the rangers when Sith aren't lurking about.

Within the transport, a few members of the 'Radama Raiders' were still preparing their kits and assisting one another with their armor plating. Specialist Jim Lowder was still giving several of the other rangers his fair share of bad jokes and crape, with the assistance of Corporal Baker and Specialist Jiho Osteen as well.

As Osteen was placing his helmet over his head, Lowder slapped him with a gloved hand in his chest plate, grasping for Baker on the other side of him also.

"Ay, check it out." Lowder spoke up as he nodded his head in the direction of [member="Vertigo"].

"Now how the hell did we miss that one in briefing?" Jiho questioned the pair as he returned to his kit to assure everything was in place

"No idea, must've been a last minute decision by command to send 'em along." Baker responded to his friends, doing the same with his kit, but crouched over it on the cold steel of the dropship's floor.

"Bloody terrifying, isn't he?" Lieutenant Harris soon appeared to interrupt the trio gossiping, a grin across his face. "He's a demolition and heavy weapons expert, and you're right..Command did think we'd need him, and I'm not complaining one bit. Now, let's stop talking about the walkin' tank and get to saving some miners, ya'?"

Yet, even Konrad's words were interrupted by Valkren.

"Group up! Come on then, actually act like we're on a mission here!" Colonel Calderon spoke up, then raised his voice when he recognized that most of the men were moving sluggishly, knowing that these were the few moments of rest they would get before being stuck in their suits for the next day or so.

The rangers grouped close by as Valkren adjusted his patrol cap momentarily, taking a glance around to be sure that every member in his transport was present. He'd slip a communicator into his ear after this to be sure the rangers on the second Luna transport would hear his briefing as well.

"Alright ladies and gents, here's your pre-mission update: the mission has not changed, however we've lost contact with the compound where the mining and research team basically lived at. This is probably just a problem with their communication systems, I'm sure the constant snow storms have karked more than a few tech gadgets that engineering care to admit. Once we land, both APC's will be unloaded after we asses the situation of the compound. If no problems arise, we stick to the objective at hand. We get details from the compound's head researcher, then we send out a search and rescue team for the mining team. Whatever they encountered was obviously hostile, so expect a fight. This is no diplomatic mission."

"When are we ever on a diplomatic mission?!" The lieutenant raised his voice, practically beating Lowder to the punch that he usually enjoys throwing. This statement drew a quick uproar from the raiders though, causing Valkren to only glance to the floor and crack a smile. It was true, the first ranger special tactics unit was full of grunts hailing from rough history's and time with the Republic, so they knew what war and battle was like.

They knew that the joking was the only way to cover their fear of what awaited them in the unknown.

Valk' cleared the smile from his face before looking back up to the team. "Right, let's stay focused. Remember, those are our people down there, and they're in danger. So let's bring our people home, how copy?"

[member="Vertigo"] | [member="Jyoti Nooran"] | [member="Beltran Rarr"] | [member="Charlie"] | [member="Roona Osmari"]

There he sat, tucked in between the other rangers in the second Luna transport, enroute to one of his first combat mission with these folks.

When the colonel had offered the strike team two choices of armor, the choice was easy; half-kitted. Even after weeks of training he still felt slightly contained in the KSA manufactured ''body can'', the full covering helmet being the most difficult to get used to. Finaly he had been comfortable enough to pass the tests and being allowed to fully operate in it. But sure, he missed his tarisian armor left back at Kashyyyk.

He had kept a low profile during the briefing, carefully listening to the commanding officers orders. Even though he had more than acceptable experience and training it was from another organisation. As for many military units, good service records made little difference until one had proven themselves in combat within the new group.

A thud in the chest and he woke up, taking a quiet opportunity to sleep on the journey to their objective.

''Caphey! Colonel's on the comm! We're closing in!'' said the ranger beside him who dealt the thud.

Giving the ranger a nod he took the helmet from his lap, sighed slightly before putting it on. This was it!

''Caphey. Copy sir!'' he answered over the comms then did a final check on his KG-1B blaster rifle and the sidearm; an SHG-001 blaster pistol.

Beltran raised a single eyebrow as [member="Vertigo"] sneezed, watching passively as the massive Houk literally made the inside of the transport shudder with the force. The Lorrdian had expected trouble on this mission, for the sole fact that he always expected trouble.
Everywhere. All the time.

But the addition of such a being, literally a walking hulk of weaponry, only cemented his foreknowledge that something was seriously wrong down on the planet.

As the transport made the last leg of its journey, entering the planet’s atmosphere and landing near the mining compound, Beltran made a last check of his weaponry. For the time being, he would keep his particle rifle set to the beam configuration. That would mean sacrificing rate of fire in favor of range and accuracy, which was the way the former hit-man liked it.

Clean kills made with skill where his style, over the randomness of the spray and pray mentality.

Getting closer to the target, the Lorrdian felt a cold shiver run through his body. Something was wrong here. If asked, he wouldn’t have been able to what, or even how he knew, but something was definitely wrong.

It was at about this point that he heard the young Padawan girl, [member="Charlie"], mutter a question to herself. Glancing over to where she sat, a few seats down from him, he spoke.

“I don’t know, but be sure to keep your wits about you.” His voice remained cool, modulated and soft. Yet, even over the din of Rangers chatting and gearing up coupled with the thrum of the transport, his voice was easily heard.

When they were almost there, Beltran uncoupled his harness and grouped up with the rest of the Rangers, around [member="Valkren Calderon"]. He listened quietly to the Colonel’s briefing. Though he said nothing, the cold feeling in the back of his mind continued to get worse…

[member="Roona Osmari"] [member="Jyoti Nooran"] [member="Tyrell Caphey"]

Mere minutes after the colonel's briefing, a red light flicked alive within the bays of both transports, signaling their entry into the planets atmosphere. The colonel had disappeared into another section of the ship, reappearing a minute later fully armored at the rear of the drop ship's bay. His Z-6 rotary cannon was collapsed and attached to his rear kit, while his shortened SAR assault weapon hung from his chest sling. He remained in a standing position, back to the ramp of the troop bay so he could look over the APC and rangers that prepared for deployment. Both gloved hands gripped onto handles above him to stabilize his stance during the rough descent.

"Coming in view of the mining compound in one minute." Tex's voice came over the PA as the Luna transport rocked violently to the right suddenly, almost tossing the colonel from his feet.

"Sorry about that folks...Turbulence." Up in the cockpit, Tex and the main pilot were doing their best to navigate through the ice storm once they breached the atmosphere. The second transport followed close behind, using communication to remain on course but giving the lead ship room to maneuver.

Eventually, they'd break clear of the initial storm and come into view of the compound. Spotlights flickered on from both transports as they hovered about the area, scanning every building and inch of the snow covered grounds.

"Status?" Valkren's vocoded voice came through, his helmet's visor illuminating a bright blue as his heads-up-display kicked into action.

Both ships rotated slowly as the co-pilots searched through their viewports for any sign of life. "Nothing sir. Looks like the area is dead. Not getting any power from any of the buildings down there either."

"Copy, set us down. We'll secure the area, then get the APC's out and get on with our objective."

After this, Valkren removed death-grip from the handles above him, moving to the rear ramp. He'd access a console to the side, letting the ramp lower before they even reached the ground. Snow flurries filled the inside of the troop bay almost immediately, the weather becoming apparent to every ranger as ice began to form at the corner of their visors. The colonel crept toward the lowered ramp while both transports descended to the ground. He'd crouch at the end and take a quick glance over the compound's snow-covered yard, gripping his weapon tightly.

There were four 'drop-in' buildings in this compound, at least that's what the report stated. Living quarters, Motor pool, Research Station, and Security. All four would have to be checked and cleared before Valkren could decide that they would move on to their real objective.

As soon as both transports sat down in the yard, directly across from one another, Valkren planted his combat boots into the thick snow and ice, running out a few yards from the transport before crouching down. Several rangers followed suite, as was protocol when landing transports in a possible hostile area to secure their landing zone. Once a fair amount of rangers had announced that they saw no hostiles or disturbances in their field of view, Valkren straightened up, keeping his weapon lowered but still at the ready.

"Well, if it was pirates or mercenaries, figure'd we know by now." Valkren spoke into his communications, broadcasting to the entire team. He'd glance about quickly, taking in the features of the small base. There were no burn marks on any of the walls from blasters, the front gates connected to the outer walls were still closed.

"Sergeant Osmari: take Rarr, Caphey, and Clark. Check the security station. Lieutenant, take some men and get on the walls! Whatever took our people might still be out there, so keep your heads on a swivel."

"Copy sir. Baker, Osteen! Quit playing in the damn snow like a couple of schoolgirls and get up on that wall!" Konrad's voice trailed off as the armored figure moved toward the front gates, doing his best to reinforce the area per orders of Calderon.

"Figure you Jedi might want to take the research station?" Valkren's voice transmitted directly to Jyoti while he wandered slightly, leaning over to look into the open motor pool. He flashed the light from his helmet quickly, illuminating a pair of Skyfall Ground Vehicles, both iced over within the open bay. There was an empty space where a much larger vehicle would have been, but was apparently missing. Valkren only assumed that this was what the mining crew took out to the dig site.

Must have left in a hurry if they didn't close the motor pool back up..

"Dex and Lowder, with me. Let's check if anyone's still napping." Colonel Calderon lifted up his weapon, advancing towards the living quarters.

"On your six, boss." Lowder responded, taking a quick 360' about before jogging back to catch up with the colonel.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"] | [member="Charlie"] | [member="Vertigo"] | [member="Beltran Rarr"] | [member="Tyrell Caphey"] | [member="Roona Osmari"]

The newly recruited corporal made last preparations to the ''Famos'' particle beam rifle before the red beacon lit up the troop bay, lights dancing upon the Rangers black armor and the spartan interior of the Luna transport.

As one of the last troopers to do so, he put on the T-visor helmet. Taking some deep breaths beforehand, working up his battle mood. Considering he was new in the ranks, he took things surprisingly frosty. Turning on the heads-up-display of the helmet and pairing it with the ''Famos'' targeting system - check! Slamming the bottom of the 20 rounds drum magazine, making sure it was secured - check! Final adjustments to the armors system to cope with the icy enviroment - check!

Carefully registering what the pilots transmitted out to the strike team and the traffic coming from the colonel. Unbuckeling their belts, the Rangers stood up and made a proper line before the exit ramp. Pilots doing a great job setting the ''flying brick'' down, partially thanks to the forgiving landing surface.
The first Ranger squad unloaded swiftly and secured the perimeter around the transport. More rangers followed on, some throwing words about the weather. Thanks to the HUD of the Katarn armor helmet, every Rangers vision was slightly improved in the ice storm.

Rising the ''Famos'' and looking through the targeting system, he scanned the immediate area along with his comrades. ''Copy.'' Short and effective was the corporals answer to the colonels orders. Instantly lowering the beam rifle, HUD guiding him as he ran over to sergeant Osmari.

Coming up behind the sergeant his vocoded voice sounded through the storm. ''Caphey, here. What's your assesment, sergeant?''

[member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Roona Osmari"]

As the transport touched down, Beltran was one of the first Rangers out. He had his own KG-1B Famos Particle Rifle raised as he began to scan his surroundings for potential hostiles. The heads-up display on his helmet glowed blue as the Lorrdian received various pieces of sensor telemetry.

After a few moments, when no obvious sign of a hostile presence presented itself, the Lorrdian backtracked toward Sergeant [member="Roona Osmari"]’s position, where she stood with a man named Private Clark and a newly minted Corporal Rarr hadn’t met.
In a way, the Lorrdian considered Osmari his competition as she currently held just about every record for marksmanship that he’d seen.

During training, Beltran had come close to usurping her but had never quite been able to do it. Those who’d seen her shoot mentioned that they was something almost supernatural in the way she was able to line up a target.

Just as he arrived, the Corporal called out a question-asking the Sergeant for her assessment. Keeping quiet, the Lorrdian simply waited for her response. It would be quite the educational experience getting to watch her work in the field.

[member="Valkren Calderon"] [member="Tyrell Caphey"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom