Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Day on the Town: The Engineer and the Spook

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

Equipment: Casual Clothes, Force Warning Necklace Pendant, Glasses
Augmentation: PGEM-SAP "Amber Eyes"
Ship: The Tourist

Niki rolled in bed, hearing the ping once more from her computer station above. Her hair a mess as she pulled the pillow to her face to hide from no one in particular.

Even her entourage had commented on her mood of late.

A message from her parents, the meandering path of the Family, the less than legal things she did in the day to day business of being an engineer.

Being told she needed to take a day for herself, or even a week had been met with some resistance on her end.

Spending the first day lazily sleeping and catching up on holo-vids that had been almost forgotten about until she had pulled the for later folder up on her desk.

She'd let herself get wrapped up in everyone else's business without tending to her own.

She rolled again, kicking the blankets off until the cool air of the station sent goosebumps up to her shoulders. The ping resounded in the empty space, the desktop alight with the alert as she pulled on her glasses instead of opting for the easier option.

"Fethin force. I'm up I'm up. Calm down." She groaned as the chirping continued at an increased rate.

Sliding out of bed, she made her way upstairs, finding the screen a bit bright as her eyes squinted to find a message from Matthew waiting.

Opening the message, she slid into the swivel chair, brow rising at the mention of actually going to ground and enjoying some time around people.

Even going so far as to mention the Mistryl's being keen on providing her security for ease of mind.

She pondered the offer, eyeing the list of restaurants he had attached before picking one out and preparing for the day. One where she didn't feel the need to wear her usual outfit to put people off.

She sighed, feeling the warmth from the shower begin to work the dye from her hair.

Matthew to Dominik
Hey Spooky,
Sent Niki down to the surface of Emberlene for a day outside of her hidey hole. You ought to go keep her company. Unless you're too busy that is. I could keep her company like usual I guess.
This is where she picked out to stop first in case you were wondering. Super casual day for once for her. Even getting out of her usual get-up. It's a sight.
Anyhow. Take care,
Family man.

Attached is a restaurant serving home style foods. Casual environment and warm lighting. The staff is mostly Mistryl Shadow Guard, save for the cooks.

Dominik passed by the showers, sweat towel over one shoulder. He was at the end of his routine to regain all the muscle mass he lost in the bacta tank, which meant many, many slow reps of heavy weights. He was tired, wanted to lay down and maybe sleep before taking a shower. He had just sat on the edge of his bed when he got a notification on his comm device. Still breathing heavily he checked it. From Matthew, huh? The screen illuminated his eyes as he read it.

He got set up. On a date. Really sneakily too, he might add. Niki Priddy Niki Priddy and Dominik had hit it off at Star and Jade's wedding, and ever since the whole Zero event on Denon, Matthew and Dominik had talked a bit. And it seemed Matthew was giving him a chance. With Niki. He had a limited time window. Suddenly, that shower looked a lot more inviting. He wrote a message back to Matthew, taking the job.

Later on and hoping he wouldn't be late, Dominik had made his way to Emberlene. He wore the armored business wear that Niki had given him, it was his usual outfit these days if he was honest. And he still looked great in the suit. At this point in his life he wasn't sure what he would wear in order to impress a woman, but Niki wasn't like others. Maybe wearing what she had gifted him would be good afterall.

Wow. Dominik. Wondering what to wear to look good for a woman. The last time that happened was back in his old spy days, and it wasn't even genuine. Just to get close to a target and get information. This was different. He only thought about it for a minute before walking through the restaurant doors, eyes peeled for Niki.

Matthew said she was out of her usual get-up, and he wasn't sure what that meant. So he looked around from the entrance, trying to spot her.

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

The receptionist that watched Dominik enter assessed him in a way he would be all to familiar with. The woman greeting him with a smile was one of many in the building itself. A passing face that held nothing memorable. It was only a moment, but even he would know what had happened.

The glance for weapons. The memorization of his face. Taking in the details.

She smiled sweetly after another moment, and the women around her seemed to resume working as she spoke.

"A pleasure to meet you Mr. Borra. Niki is waiting."

She didn't make to speak again, instead guiding him along to a table closer to the back. A woman sitting and waiting rather impatiently with glasses and black hair kept back in two loose and low pigtails. The loose gray hoodie wrapped around her with the beanie cap show casing a rather pink patch across the edge.

She looked up from the menu in hand when it was clear that the duo were not moving to another table, a hand rising to push the glasses up further as dread crossed her face.

"Dominik? The fet-" Face pale as she pulled out the datapad and swiped to something. "Oh force. Oh I'm going to skin him alive. Hi-hello! Uh. How-Matt. Hmm. Well. Alright. Uh. Have. Have a seat. You. Look good."

She was well and truly under-prepared it seemed as she set the datapad aside. Fussing with the hat and ultimately signaling defeat as she gave him a small smile.

k641yiA.png

Dominik knew the look, she was quickly assessing him. He didn't need to look at her to know she was smiling while assessing. Meanwhile he kept looking around for her. There must have been some private booth that she had. He turned and opened his mouth to speak when she did. He blinked. And shut his mouth. She knew his name? And who he was here for? Did Matthew tell the staff ahead of time? With a nervous and surprised smile, he nodded and let the woman lead him.

She lead him over to a table where a pretty young woman sat, sporting glasses, black hair, with a beanie and a hoodie. He was wondering why the woman lead him here until the woman looked up at them. It was Niki, her face. Her eyes. Never would he have expected her to wear a hoodie, a beanie, or have black hair in pigtails. This really was a new look. 'Out of her usual' Matthew had said. Was the red hair and dresses all a cover? Color him impressed. And liking her more by the minute.

She studdered between wanting to kill Matthew and trying to greet him properly. She seemed to piece it all together rather quickly, and he himself also found himself floundering a little. When you didn't want to hook up with someone only to kill them in the morning, how did you go about the first part?

GiantBiodegradableDiamondbackrattlesnake-size_restricted.gif

He slid into his seat, nodding and thanking the employee before turning back to Niki Priddy Niki Priddy . "Thanks. You look good too, Niki." He waited a moment before asking, "Casual day, huh? Rare for you?"

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

The woman vanished before he was completely into the seat.

Niki found herself suddenly between a rock and a hard place. Someone in the Family had seen her without her usual attire. Without her usual face. Someone outside of her home had seen her face since she'd made the effort to appear different.

She was definitely tanning Matthew's hide.

"T-thanks. I. Yeah. It's. Comfy." She wanted to put her face into the table.

Felt like calling the synthcrew to have them prep the ship for a hyperjump into the nearest sun.

Instead she kept herself calm, at least outwardly.

"Very rare anymore. I. Emberlene is about the only place I. I feel is safe. For casual I mean." She explained, as best she was able. The frown plain as she seemed to shrink into herself.

k641yiA.png

Niki was not at all comfortable. The frown, short sentences, the almost studders... she looked like she wanted to die. Like she was heavily embarrassed. Not like someone found the dirty holopron you looked at, but like someone found your personal space and secrets. He took a moment of silence, trying to figure out what to do or say. Had he mistaken her at the wedding? That there wasn't anything between them? Or was she just closed off and now suddenly was in the open? Well, if it was the whole secrets thing, asking about her connection to Emberlene wouldn't help that. It would be like an interrogation, him digging for more private info.

"Do you know what's good to eat here? Recommendations?" He asked, looking down at the menu. "And... do they have any milkshakes?"

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

A waitress stopped by as Dom posed his question, giving them both a bright smile.

"We do offer milkshakes in fact. Any particular you would enjoy?"

The woman meeting Niki's gaze and posing a silent question between them with nothing more than a slight tilt of her head.

For feeling like she'd been cornered once more, it could have been a worse person she supposed. At least Dom she actually-

Her eyes moved to him in wonder.

Had it been the image she gave he seemed interested in? Or was it her? Her mind dancing around itself in echoes as she shook her head slightly and was given a barely there nod.

If she escaped now, she likely would burn a bridge. And she genuinely enjoyed his company. A deep breath found her nerves essing back enough to remove her initial hesitation.

At least she hoped.

"They make a mean rancor burger. The house fries are pretty decent but a little too much sodium for me." She offered, trying to not look ashamed of herself.

The waitress paused long enough to produce a pad and pen, prompting for drinks.

"Water for me please." She smiled, watching the woman leave before she turned to Dom and sighed.

"I'm sorry if. If I seem. Scared? I jus-I expected Matt. And I don't do well with. Surprises. I'm happy to see you. You aren't the problem." She was stumbling over words, trying to make sense of what even she struggled with.

"And the whole, dual image, thing. I. Ivory's the only one who's seen me like this. Sort of. After Zerø-" She went silent, picking at her nail at the mention of the name before shifting gears.

"I hadn't figured out how to show. This. Yet. To you I mean."

k641yiA.png

He blinked and looked at the waitress. "Chocolate, please. And water with that as well." Was his answer. The waitress then looked at Niki and... his spy senses were tingling. Both the woman who greeted him and this waitress... something was off. They were on Niki's payroll or something, he was sure. He didn't feel threatened by them, he was having lunch with who he assumed to be their boss. But that did allow them to poison his food if they wanted to. And as many alarm bells as that thought gave him... He decided to put them away and trust that Matthew and Niki wouldn't pull this just to kill him. If so, at least he would do it by eating something nice.

Niki took a deep breath before giving him a recommendation. He smiled and told the waitress that that was what he wanted.

"It has been a while since I've been able to enjoy a milkshake. Lots of MREs, basic but filling foods on the go, or the fancy restaurants that Ivory lets the members eat at. But basic home-style cooking? Milkshakes? I see why you chose this place." He commented, hoping to give her some sort of praise or pride in her selection. Was he overthinking what to say?

He listened to her speak, thinking. "I get it. Matt is familiar and used to seeing you like this. And I know Zero did... something. But I won't pry. I assume you had another look when out to hide from him. You feel safe in that image and even though he's gone now." He realized he was just presuming a lot. "But I don't know and you don't need to tell me if you don't want to."

He swallowed and glanced at her. "I like this image of you. Maybe more than the other."

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

A smothered chuckle at his mention of lackluster meals seemed to ease her a back a bit more. Something she'd heard from a number of others and hadn't found much better options for solutions.

"Essentials only when it comes in Ready to Eat. And flavor tends to be not essential in survival." She shrugged, letting herself fill up more of the space she was in.

"It's a nice little place. The staff practice their customer service routines and quiet talk before being employed off world. I have a contract with their bosses in case you were wondering. And. Well." She leaned in a bit as though some great secret was about to be shared. "They have a lot of useful information pretty quick. But they like the rent I pay them and are interested in my safety."

She had seen the look on his face. And since it was a moment of trust, she figured putting him a little more at ease.

Her smile shifting downward as he spoke on the topic at hand that made her nerves run off the scales. His last words getting a smirk from beneath her bangs.

The galaxy was a scarier place very suddenly for her. And the image she'd made let her feel at least a little more normal. But had kept her at arms length from most she had slowly come to realize.

The angry comms from those she was trying to help. Gratuitous shows of power attempting to keep everyone safe. The weighing of choices that kept her closed off and secure.

A wall had been chipped away at slowly. Even if those chipping away had something to gain in the end.

"Matthew's been around since before the Family. Chit. Almost ten years now. And sort of family at this point for me. He tries to keep me grounded. Tries." She snorted at bringing a battle group to a search and rescue against pirates. Something he'd warned her off from doing, but losing to her pride.

"You can ask Ivory. She knows some. But. Anyway." She skipped the rest with a laugh, side eying him at the compliment.

"It's a look. But even this isn't my real hair color. Close though. I see you need some everyday cloths though." She teased him a bit, pulling at his sleeve.

"Then again, suits do look good on you."

k641yiA.png

Flavor not essential for survival. Wasn't that right. He gave a light scoff of agreement at her words.

Niki Priddy Niki Priddy then talked about the staff here. So they were on her payroll, though they were also employed offworld? Interesting group of mercenaries. When she leaned in, he leaned in to share on the secret.

Dominik watched her smile turn into a frown at the mention of Zero and her making a new image. It was obviously an incredibly sensitive subject for her, but she was able to bounce herself back. That was good. He was no therapist but that seemed like progress. After everything on Denon, he'd hope that she made some progress. She talked about Matthew and it was good that he was family to her. As someone who never had one, he knew family was important.

He was about to comment that he liked her current hair color when she turned the subject to his clothes and tugged at his sleeve. He glanced down at it and chuckled, smiling. "Suits do look good on me. And the armored weave of this is comforting. But I suppose I could use an update to the closet. You..." He gave her a sly side look. "You aren't thinking of using me like a dress-up doll, right?"

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

She did a wonderful segway into the topic of clothing at the mention.

"I did roll out a different line of threads for the Family here lately." She sipped on the water a little, only pausing to eyeball a rough measure of him.

As if she actually had to.

"Wouldn't hurt to see what could bind or what might be more comfortable. Don't worry." She chuckled to herself as the water clinked against the table. "Shorts don't work to well in the configuration. At least for now."

The food arrived, a double rancor burger with a hefty basket of unsalted fries along with a refill on water for Niki.

Rubbing her hands together, she paused long enough to look between the two burgers and frown.

"You know anything about Atoan biology?"

k641yiA.png

"More clothes wouldn't hurt I guess, and I don't really see myself wearing shorts unless I'm in the water, so that's good." A part of him thought it embarrassing to be used as a Ken doll, while the other part of him felt like Niki might enjoy that activity.

The food arrived and it looked pretty good. He slid his plate towards him and began munching on a fry when she spoke. Atoan biology... "Lots of little hearts all over." He began with the most basic difference between Atoans and Humans. "Takes a lot more potassium solution to be injected to stop them all." It was what surgeons used to stop a heart during surgery, but without medical equipment it would kill someone just the same. "Faster and stronger because of the difference in their cardiovascular system. Why?" He asked before taking a bite of his burger. Man it was good.

Niki Priddy Niki Priddy

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

She smirked at the idea of Dom around water. A beach trip wouldn't be a bad excuse for such a sight. That would mean a rather lengthy travel with excuses sorted out, and maybe booking-

She purged the thoughts for the moment as she moved back to the biology talk.

"A lot more. Spreads quicker too." She noted, fiddling with the fries and munching on a few while eyeing the burger.

"I have the Augmentation for my eyes, and it works off of bioelectrical energy. Essentially my own bodies energy-" She explained, still skirting touching her burger just yet.

"And having a decentralized cardiovascular system also means we burn through carbs and, all that jazz, pretty quick." She was eyeing the burger like it had wronged her family line, glancing over to Dom as she shifted in her seat.

"And to account for that loss, I have to replenish what I use pretty frequently. So., I snack. A lot. Or else I apparently get grumpy. Or something like that." She was fidgeting, pulling the plate closer and waiting for Dom to give his response.

k641yiA.png

He figured her eyes were augmented. He glanced at his right arm. Remembered how it was sliced off by a lightsaber, a piece of him gone and on the floor. He had it replaced with his new metal one. Was that why she had augmented eyes? Is that what Zero did to her? If so, he wanted to go find his corpse in that sewer and put a few more rounds into it. It also threatened to bring tears to his eyes, imagining Niki on a table with no eyes. But he pushed that down.

So talked about needing carbs while avoiding her burger. Maybe it was the old thing he had heard a long while back, that women didn't like to eat a lot infront of guys they liked. If that was true, did that mean that she liked him?

He was a little past wondering if she liked him. He was pretty sure she did, and he liked her. "So you need to eat. Should I order you more fries then? You seem to like them, I'll pay." He honestly didn't care if she needed to eat more than him, that was just a biological thing. And with the money he made now with The Family, he could afford to buy whatever food he wanted.

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

He seemed distracted for a moment.

A frown appearing as she took off her glasses, feeling the spot behind her ear and pressing until she felt the click. The amber color of her eyes fading into the dull gray and blue of her real eyes.

She blinked, adjusting her vision to the prescription as they were pushed up to their proper place.

He seemed to return to the conversation, and it took her a second to process the words. Eyes narrowing at him as she pulled the plate to her with a grin.

"Only if you want some for yourself." She punctuated the statement by stealing fries from his plate with childish glee.

k641yiA.png

Dominik noticed her eyes change after she took off her glasses. He smiled, glad she was opening up a bit more. And then she did even more by stealing some of his fries! He tried his best to look playfully offended, which for him was glancing down at the fries, slowly looking up to her with a face of disgusted surprise. The ex-agent, well, with the Family and TFN he was probably reinstated as an "Agent" now, only got offended when people took shots at him and even then it was mostly understandable. He was shooting at them too. But it probably would be a tight, grim frown as he raised his weapon and opened fire. Maybe with The Family and Niki, he'd have more chances to... well, have a life.

A waitress was nearby and he got her attention, asking for another basket of fries before smiling back at Niki. "More for you to steal."

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

He wisely ordered another basket of fries, her smile only broken by the happy munching of said fries as she let herself relax a bit more.

She hadn't worn her faux glasses for some time.

Well. What was drawing close to what felt like a lifetime ago now for wearing them. The chaotic bunch of anti-government friends she had been around allowing her relatively free reign of research and development for their arsenal.

It hadn't been exactly the life she had been seeking, but it had offered her some freedoms.

But those with the talent for it tended to get drawn into the life of weapons and ship building she supposed. Her gaze drifting off to a distant place beyond the walled off area they sat in. Her mind settling as she finally bothered to ask something that had been burning in the back of her mind.

Even associating with the Family hadn't been enough to shake the feeling.

Her mouth opened to broach the subject, closing momentarily as it felt awkward even before it had hit the air. Instead going down another path as she frowned.

"Thank you. For Denon I mean. I. Well. You can probably tell I'd never, actually, done that before." Her breath coming out slow and measured at the topic. "And the wedding was fun. Thanks to you."

The fries arrived without a word, but she didn't reach for them just yet.

"And. I wouldn't mind. Seeing you again. Like this. Just. Not as a surprise." She squirmed, hands pulling the beanie down over her eyes. "A-at least for now. I mean. When you have time that is."

Hands breaking free of the cap to slide the fries between them.

k641yiA.png

Niki, the vengeful engineer who made the most terrifying killing droids he had ever seen, who was willing to send an entire gang to their deaths over what was done to her... hid. After mentioning that she hadn't killed anyone before, which he was glad he had stopped, and the wedding that was fun because of her too, she pulled her beanie over her eyes. And, was that her asking him out again? He had a broad smile on, looking at one of the more impressive women he's known be so adorable. A woman had to be impressive in some ways to attract his attention, good at what she did and confidant, but the capability of showing that femininity was also a requirement. Niki checked and double checked both boxes.

"I'm free tomorrow. I'll see you here for breakfast in the morning then?"

EMBERLENE
k641yiA.png

He was quiet for what felt like forever. The dark space afforded by her beanie both comforting and smothering before she heard him speak again.

Relief washing through her at the offer being accepted.

Fingers poking the brim of the cap up until she could sneak a look at him. A smile present as she tried to give her best one back.

"Yeah. I'll let the girls know." She nodded, not needing to actually speak with the Sisters given one was likely hovering nearby.

The nerves weren't gone, but had shifted to anticipation now. The twining of her hands easing as she returned to her meal with more enthusiasm.

She had something to look forward to, and it was a different step than what was usual for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom