Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Community's Opinion: Major Faction Owner Elections

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Ashe the Reaper said:
...And of course, all the non-canon faction leaders are probably, secretly up in arms right now. xD
Not where I'm standing. As a matter of fact, Fringe has been moving in this direction for a while, regardless of the rest of the board, and we've got an OOC election in the works, as well as our next round of IC elections.

Fringe belongs to Fringe, not to me. I haven't even decided if I'm going to run for faction owner again.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Ashin Varanin said:
Not where I'm standing. As a matter of fact, Fringe has been moving in this direction for a while, regardless of the rest of the board, and we've got an OOC election in the works, as well as our next round of IC elections.

Fringe belongs to Fringe, not to me. I haven't even decided if I'm going to run for faction owner again.
It was a joke. I tend to make them a lot. :p

In theory, I like the idea. In practice however, I feel it's better as an optional rule a faction can opt into and have enforced by the staff and RPJs than a mandatory requirement all factions must follow.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Tefka said:
Well, first the exploits would have to be found and tried. Only then could solutions be proposed. Kinda like how this suggestion for the rules is to fix an exploit that Faction Owners can retain power among just a few individuals with zero accountability.

This proposal IS a solution being proposed for a CURRENT EXPLOIT, guys. Don't forget that.
This forever.

I'll be honest, I didn't expect the rather warm reception this is getting. I wasn't too serious about implementing it, but I think this topic just got prioritized.

For those shouting "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - you're right. SWRP's system is not broke, therefore it does not need fixing. But to avoid stagnation in an attempt to better perfect something that already works, it requires tweaking.

AND TWEAK I SHALL

UNTIL I CAN TWEAK NO MORE

AND ALL TWEAKING HAS LEFT MAH BODY

Theophenes said:
Personally, I feel it's wiser to let the factions self-determine how and why power moves in their faction. Still, this would have less "take it or leave it" attitudes from faction leadership, which can be a problem at times.
^
This all the way.
I do however feel that elections would be good. It is the every 3 months I object to, would it not be best to give the Faction members the power to vote out a faction leader if/when they feel they are no longer up to task, Instead of forcing an election every three months?

Fjorra the Huntress

F
I'm a bit torn.

I can understand the reasoning and desire for implementing this; though I also see problems with it. How would the person or persons that create the faction in the first place feel when they get ousted after all that hard work they put into their faction. Again on the other hand I can also see how people would feel about thinking they're being left out because the faction is controlled by one group of people.

More than anything I feel that if this is implemented; I agree that it should be on a faction by faction basis. For some factions this works (like the Republic or Omega Protectorate) for others, the more military minded or factions with a singular leader shouldn't be forced into this.

Though in the end I do believe that it shouldn't be a staff implemented rule when it comes to faction leadership. It should be up to the faction itself to deal with internal changes of leadership. I have to agree that it should be left up to the faction itself; kind of like how the Old Republic came to the conclusion that it should be Bounty Hunters that regulate Bounty Hunters, it should be faction members that regulate the operation and leadership of their faction rather than staff installing a rule to force it.

CHANI

Something to consider.
No one writer may lead two factions?
Curious if this matters, or is already in the rules, not sure.

Fjorra the Huntress said:
I'm a bit torn.
We're all a bit torn on it's implementation, but you confuse IC with OOC. I'm saying OOCly, Faction Ownership of Major Factions should be democratic. I am not addressing how Factions should be ran ICly.

Well I agree on principal of the concept. This would give the masses the power to elect someone they want to lead, or remove a bad leader from power.
Why the sudden want of election reform, as I'll be bold enough to ask. Is there trouble in paradise lost somewhere. No need to name names of course.

Fjorra the Huntress

F
Speaking OOCly just makes the mater worst then if this is to regulate OOC ownership. If this is what that is about then I have to stand against it. If a writer puts in a lot of hard work to get a faction created and built, they shouldn't be told in three months time that they have to hand it over to someone else whom hasn't worked on it or doesn't understand the sweat and hard work put into the faction's creation. I can understand doing it with established canon factions like the Republic and Sith Empire (for example) though something that is entirely created by the hard work of an individual of a small group of individuals shouldn't be taken from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom