Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Common Charter For All

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
The Senate Hall was ready. Now it only needed to be filled. Security was there, men and women chosen by Commenor's Head of Security, [member="Macoda Haberon"] . [member="Kiran Arlos"] was also on site, a lad that Kay had hand picked. He had plenty of experience guarding politicians and had loaned himself out to Commenor for a time. She was pleased to have him.

Days earlier Kay had sent word to the other Senators to arrive to the Senate Hall to pick out their chambers and to be prepared to work together on the Senate Charter that every member world must follow. Each world was sovereign, but there were basic laws that needed to be set as standard amongst them all. Letters were given out to [member="Viktor Alexander"] , [member="Corey Brave"] and [member="Yusana Fenni"] , as well as the sitting in Senators for the other worlds that were still trying to organize. It seems as though some prefered to wait a bit before making a final selection. Perhaps they were all in training. Regardless, those that showed up for the Charter meeting had a higher chance of being sure that it served their worlds far better than those that weren't present for it.

There was sure to be plenty to be debated. And it certainly wasn't going to be an easy task.

Kay sat in the Senate Council Chambers, seated not at the head of the table, but on one of the sides. She was the acting Chancellor, but she wasn't voted in yet. And today they would all be equals. So she chose her seat to better represent that. Dressed as though she were ready to command a battle, she cradled a cup of Sapir tea in hand while she waited for the others to arrive. Oh how she longed to have [member="Veiere Arenais"] here to represent the Order. But Politics and the jedi had to keep seperate, even when it came to Commenor's own Knights. But it was his support and wisdom that she wanted. Perhaps after this was over, she'd pay her husband a long overdue visit.

[video]https://youtu.be/MkAYEg7Zikk[/video]

Viktor had gotten Kay's message about the Senate Hall. In response he had sent a four person advanced team to secure his personal office and begin setting up the things he would need. Among those things being secure communications back to Yutan for any emergency messages that need to be sent. Viktor hoped such a thing would never be necessary but it was better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Viktor had also sent ahead a few of his nicer suits, some food and beverage choices. Mostly just creature comforts for when he was on Commenor.

The day before the scheduled session Viktor himself arrived not only to check on the progress of his quarters but to begin putting together what he needed for the Senate session himself. They were mostly just reminder notes to ensure everything that needed to be covered was. He spent most of the day doing exactly that. Making notes and coordinating with his staff back on Yutan. Not to mention last meeting Holo Calls with various members of the Yutan government. Each one wanting to ensure their individual concerns were address and each one wanting to make sure they would here from Viktor at the conclusion of the session. None of them wanting to be caught off guard by any potential announcements coming out of Commenor as a result of the Senate session.

When they time came for the session to begin Viktor put on his best suit and made his way to the Senate Chambers fifteen minutes before the session was to be called to order. Stopping just inside the chamber Viktor gave [member="Lady Kay"] a slight bow.

"Your Majesty."

He then quietly made his way over taking a seat on the opposite side from Kay and at the very end of the table. He opened a folder in front of him spreading out a page or two before looking back up to Kay as they waited for the others.

"I trust you are doing well?"

Yusana was already in her office on the far end of the Senate Hall, assisted by a protocol droid and two guards-errant as she personally rearranged a little furniture and moved in a few more embellishments. The overall theme was a stoically minimalist and austere office, enhanced only by a few choice Brocart tapestries. The new senator herself was dressed rather stoically, preferring the simplicity of her Andalian cloak rather than pretty herself up to excess. About ten minutes before the scheduled summon, she finally made her way out and down the hallways towards the main chamber.

As she walked down the elegant pathway, the Echani took a little time to contemplate upon events that led up to this point. Once a lesser-known daughter of nobility back on Eshan (and a wandering drifter for a time as well), she was now a senator of Commenor, and the planetary representative of Talasea - a world with no paltry history. Through a few well-placed bribes and a dozen score of deals closed with merchants and trading guilds of other free worlds (as mediator, but she nevertheless got her cut of the profits), Yusana had managed to win the approval of the now burgeoning population. She declared herself Governor-General of the planet, and immediately began overseeing several public works projects around the central region, as well as the construction of a new planetary capitol - soon to be christened the city of Couronne. Two revolutions later and Talasea may have still been a backwater by galactic standards, but the planet flourished as trading outposts began to pop up across the planet's several regions.

As for the new Governor-General herself, Yusana maintained a highly centralized and lean administration of the planet. Her advisers were few and ordinances just as scarce, preferring to disseminate learning and educational opportunities rather than rigid legislation. Thus far it proved to be the right move, but with this first round of summons, she knew that the inevitability of binding legalities would eventually have to follow - not to mention her still yet-to-be-addressed matter of raising a planetary defense force - one to protect Talasea against all who would harm it, and to answer to the call of the Commenori, if need be. Such were the sordid affairs of politicians, she soon learned, but necessary nevertheless.

With quiet steps she entered the chamber, bowing first to the empire's sovereign before silently proceeding to her seat. After getting comfortable and laying her own datapad down on the table, she then verbally but very reservedly addressed the Lady and her fellow senator, [member="Viktor Alexander"], who'd already arrived earlier.

"Your Majesty, Senator, Alexander."

Her tone was charming enough and elegant, but she kept that same stoical expression on her face, for this was the way of the Echani, they who were not quite as gifted in oratories as they were in combat. This was uncharted territory for young Yusana, but she was eager to finally be able to play her part in bringing law, order and peace to this wayward galaxy.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kiran Arlos

K
Senate Hall
Main Hall

KIran had to admit that he wasn't expecting this many people here today, and it was quite the surprise to him. His journey here to the planet Commenor was not by coincidence. He felt as if for right now that he was meant to be here for a time. Now with that being said, if the Iron Empire, especially the Lord Praetor asked him to return. Kiran knew full well that he was duty and oath bound to return, but as of right now that wasn't the case. Kiran was dressed in the Commenori colors, a uniform that was given to him and one that he looked well enough in. His training saber at clipped to his belt and a blaster pistol from the Iron Legion armory that he kept with him just in case of anything got to out of hand.

Kiran stood in the security wing of the Senate Hall that had monitors and different array of equipment in there. "If you seen anything strange at all, in the slightest. Let me know and I will look into it immediately. The safety of these people is paramount and above all the safety of the Queen." Kiran let out a small sigh as he left the room and moved down the hallway at a pretty good pace and thus entered the main hall that was busy as ever.

There were those that were asking question at which Kiran did his best to answer them in a polite and skillful manner. Kiran cleared his throat as he smiled and nodded to those that had cast glances towards the young man. And all the while that he could, he would take the time to take in the magnificence of this building that was constructed, it was truly well done.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Viktor Alexander"]

For the third time in in 10 years Corey Brave found himself in a new government building and in a new role. He had been a member of the parliament Gyndine, then Prime Minster of Gyndine, and now he was here representing the people of Gyndine as their Senator. He had already sent his staff from his office at home ahead of him to prepare his office and his quarters so he knew where he was going for the most part. He had always expected the senate hall to be nice, but walking he was taken by how well it was designed and put together.

The halls of the senate were filled with people and naturally as the politician that he was Corey decided that he should shake as many hands and talk to as many people as possible. He had some people that he had met before while meeting with the Queen but most were strangers to him. He had been in similar positions before especially on Gyndine and to a lesser extent growing up on Coruscant, so he was used to meeting new people in large numbers.

Corey had instructed his staff to begin a draft of a legislative agenda that he could purpose as soon as possible. It was important that he could hit the ground running by the time the first official session got under way. The staff and advisers that he had brought with him were the best of the best, they had been with him when he was Prime Minster and lead Gyndine into a modern economy and built up its military. They would serve him well during his tenure in the senate and he knew that with them he would have a better chance of getting what he wanted passed.

When he got to the room with the really expensive door he assumed that it was the Senate Council Chambers. He entered it with a few of his staff members but when he saw that no else had there people in the room he senate them away.

"Well hello everyone, It's very nice to meet you. I have to say this is a very nice building and I have to say these chambers are definitely better than anything we have on Gyndine".

[member="Kiran Arlos"][member="Yusana Fenni"][member="Viktor Alexander"][member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

The Senate Hall was indeed a beautiful building. It smelled of fresh paints and floor waxes, as well as that of new furniture. The prospect of a bright future was felt throughout and that was something that Kay wanted to maintain. The colour scheme was both light and dark, representing the balance of their neutrality. Shadows were cast as well, perhaps representing those that lurked and would wish to dismantle what she had helped to create. Hopefully there would always be light here to balance it out.

Of course it would be [member="Viktor Alexander"] that would walk into the Senate Council Chambers first. Kay wasn't entirely surprised there. She bowed her head a little as he greeted her. "I am well, Senator Alexander, thank you. And what about yourself?"

She sipped her tea, glancing down to the datapad in front of her. No doubt Viktor was going to lash out at her in some way, so she had to do her best to prepare and hold her ground. The last thing that she needed was for this meeting to be derailed and turned into something personal.

[member="Yusana Fenni"] walked in just then, thankfully. Kay bowed her head to her as she was greeted. The new Senator of Talasea was one that she hadn't met yet. But at some point the two would have to get together for a private meeting to get to know eachother. "Senator Fenni, welcome."

Kay smiled as [member="Corey Brave"] strolled in next, giving off his usual vibe of a positive attitude. The two had met earlier and had a common interest in their vision for the region. At least she knew that she had his support. "Senator Brave. It's good to have you with us. And yes, the Senate Hall is a proud achievement in architecture, I must say."

She had another sip of her tea before setting it down. As far as she was aware, no one else was coming. That could change though as late arrivals were normal. No doubt [member="Kiran Arlos"] would direct them to the Council Chambers. "I hope that everyone is comfortable and happy with their quarters. If not, you can let me know later. Right now though, we should get straight to business. I called you all here to help create the Charter that all worlds under our banner follow. Keep in mind that your worlds will still maintain their sovereignty in many aspects. This is merely to ensure that protocols are set in place to maintain proper cheques and balances in both with the powers of the Senate, as well as the powers of the individual worlds. I open the floor to all of you first and although we may disagree on some things, let us be civil about it."

Kay turned on her datapad and readied herself to take notes underneath her own.

Corey alerted his staff to enter the room so that they could give him a copy of some of the proposals that he wanted to Implement. It was not a long list but it was a set of objectives that he thought were important.

"Distinguished colleagues of the Senate I have a few things that I would like to have approved. I would like Gyndine to be the base of the Alliance military, because of our shipyards it makes the most sense for us to be the location of the fleet. We would be happy to establish more space stations in order to provide more space for a larger fleet. We need to be compensated for the production of additional ships and space stations".

He paused as he looked at his notes.

"I purpose the creation of a special committee of minters from each planet in order to share information, technologies, and resources in order to better help all planets within the Alliance. This committee would go a long way in creating good will between the planets and allow our people's to see that we can work together in a way that benefits everyone".

The last item on his agenda was one he was particularly fond of.

"Lastly I believe that due to the doubts about our Alliance from some of our people, it would benefit us to establish the position of Vice Chancellor. ​This position is to ensure that not all of the power in the executive branch of government is concentrated with the Chancellor. The Vice Chancellor would presiding officer of the senate, fill in for the Chancellor when he/she is unable carry out her duties, and be a part of the war cabinet".

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Kiran Arlos"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Viktor Alexander"]

Viktor would give polite nods to [member="Yusana Fenni"] and [member="Corey Brave"] when they entered not getting a moment to respond to [member="Lady Kay"] before the session was called to order. He listened to the Honorable Senator from Gyndine make his proposals before he stood to address the members of the Senate.

"Honorable members of the Senate. My name is Viktor Alexander. I am an Academy trained Naval Officer and Defense Minister of Yutan in addition of having the honor of representing the Yutani people here today."

Viktor paused.

"Today we have been called here to address the creation and ratification of a Senate Charter. The first task I believe would be to establish the structure of this Senatorial Body. Then to address the roles and responsibility of each member of the Senate. Before I give the proposals I have for these tasks a would like to briefly address the points offer by the Honorable Senator from Gyndine."

Viktor took a moment before he continued.

"The formal foundation of an Alliance Military structure while necessary is not in my belief the topic of discussion for today. I would like to move to shelve the proposal to a later date so that the contents my be proposed at a later date in accordance with the guidelines established today.

The position of Vice Chancellor is one that should be address in the Senate Charter and one I will be covering in great detail in a moment.

Last but not least I see the wisdom in the create of guidelines for creating committees but do not believe at this time the size of this Senatorial body is sufficient enough to need committees at this time. So while I will be covering those guidelines in greater detail in a moment I move to table their actual creation until a later date."

Viktor paused collecting some notes before moving on to his main topic.

"Now the structure of the Senate itself and proposed responsibilities.

First the position of Chancellor acting as President of the Senate. Duties including calling the Senate to order, presiding offer the execution of votes initiated by a member of the Senate, recording and accounting of the minutes of the Senate, and finally bring the Senate to a close once all matters on the docket have been addressed.

The first position of Chancellor to be held by the Honorable Senator of Commenor Queen Arenais.

Second the position of Vice-Chancellor as mentioned by the Honorable Senator of Gyndine. Duties including the same as the Chancellor when the Chancellor is not available but to be limited to recording the meetings of the session and tabulation of the votes cast by each individual Senator when the Chancellor is available.

The first position of Vice-Chancellor to be filled at a later date by nomination and senate vote.

Lastly the position of Senator itself. Duties including Drafting and proposing bills to be brought before the Senate, casting a vote of yay or nay of bills brought forth to the Senate, and the enforcement of approved Senate Legislature on Alliance member worlds.

The position of Senator to be established on Alliance member worlds in accordance with that respective world's laws."

Viktor paused.

"At this moment I would like to yield the floor for discussion on the points provided."

Viktor retook his seat reorganizing the papers in front of him.

Yusana picked up her datapad, dialing a few of its digital keys to bring up her own notes and agenda for today's summon. She did so quietly and discreetly (below the table's surfaceline), leaving only the soft tones of her device to be heard by those seated immediately next to her. As her gaze averted from below to face her colleagues and the sovereign once more at eye-level, she began to speak.

"I second the motion to shelf the discussion on the terms of Commenor's armed forces for now, but I will also be making my proposals at the appropriate juncture", she began with a soft smile and a nod towards [member="Corey Brave"], believing him to have already beat her to the punch with a topic close to her own heart - military affairs. But then again, she'd rather another world host the entire faction's fleet if the alternative was to manage docks in high orbit.

She continued, "no further points to add on Senator [member="Viktor Alexander"]'s proposal. My only caveat to contribute is a request that the nomination for the position of Vice Chancellor be merited by at least a 60/40 split in favor, rather than the 50+1 as is traditional in most democratic systems. While I prefer the Office of the Vice Chancellor not be held by a charlatan or a Machiavellian, I would rather he or she be held in high favor by a considerable majority."

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Kiran Arlos"]

Kay-Larr

Kay looked to [member="Corey Brave"] as he was the first to speak up. His proposal to have the military fleet based elsewhere made sense. Commenor shouldn't be the centre of everything afterall. But as [member="Viktor Alexander"] and [member="Yusana Fenni"] pointed out, now wasn't the time to discuss it. They were at the beginning stages of this new Senate body, so they needed to establish a foundation first.

A special committee of Ministers, although a good idea, was not yet required given their small numbers. Only eleven planets were in this Alliance thus far, enough to warrant every Senator to be meeting around a table, as opposed to in a big auditorium filled with podiums and loudspeakers. This made it much more intimate.

As for the position of a Vice Chancellor, that was one that certainly would be required if proper cheques and balances were to be made. Again she wondered if they were big enough, yet if it would help, then she wasn't going to object.

Viktor was the next to speak. She turned to him after jotting down her notes. He was a lot more...formal in his approach. Something that she was starting to grow used to. He seemed to agree with some of her thoughts without her voicing them yet. At least it showed that they were somewhat on the same page.

He then laid out his thoughts on the Senate structure. She could hardly hide her surprise that he held no objection to her holding the Chancellor seat. Her eyes once again drifted down to her datapad as she penned a couple of notes. His other points were ones that she could easily agree with.

Yusana spoke next. Kay looked to her as she seemed to share the same sentiments in regards to Viktor's thoughts. Her caveat for a clear majority was also a good one.

Now it all fell back to her again. She had a sip of her tea before she addressed them. "Firstly, thank you for your thoughts and proposals. I'm in agreement with both Senator Alexander and Senator Fenni, the discussion over our military should be postponed. The need for a special Committee is also not yet required, so a postponement on that topic should be made as well.

Secondly, I thank you for your support in having myself as Chancellor. I will perform my duties to the best of my abilities. If there are any concerns, please feel free to bring them up with me and we'll work on a resolution together.

Lastly, an election for a Vice Chancellor would be appropriate. I also second the motion of a clear majority vote required to have it pass. Might I suggest that such a 60/40% vote requirement also be instituted for the bills that we pass? I feel that they would work better if the majority of our worlds support them.

If we are all in agreement with what has already been laid out in regards to the Senate body, may we move onto Legislation?"

[member="Kiran Arlos"]

Corey was happy with how the first session was going even if the topics of the military were postponed, he had a least made it clear to Senate that his planet was willing to help with the fleet. The government of Gyndine had wanted him to bring the issue up as soon as possible. Corey saw that his colleagues had a point with postponing both military discussions and the inter planet committee. He was knew that the creation of a Vice Chancellor would be very popular among the senators, but he also knew that each one wanted the job.
“My friends, I see your point about the military and the inter planet committee and we can discuss those topics on another day. I agree with [member="Lady Kay"] and [member="Yusana Fenni"] in their support of a 60/40 majority for election of the Vice Chancellor and I also think that standard should be applied to most legislation. I would also say that any treaty with another government should be ratified by a simple majority vote in the Senate.”

Viktor listened to his fellow Senator's giving them a nod.

"Agreed then on all points including a 60% majority on positional confirmation votes before the Senate?"

Viktor made a note or two before looking back to Kay and throwing her a bone.

"Chancellor if there are no objections shall we move to the next order of business for the Charter?"

Sure Viktor could have tossed out his next series of proposals but two things prevented him from doing so. The first being the need for the Chancellor to not on show the ability to take the reigns on a Galactic scale much more importantly the drive to take charge. The second being if they were going to be all working together the last thing needed was to give off the impression that he was trying to upstage the Chancellor or control the Senate.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Corey Brave"] [member="Yusana Fenni"]

Interitus had emerged from his office dressed in his red and black tunic of his Grandfather from his Mother's side on Alderaan. He had used his mother's Political influence from Alderaan and other core worlds as a Diplomat, to usher Kell Jerrex into the spectrum of Galactic affairs. He had approached the Queen acting Chancellor [member="Lady Kay"] for a position as the Senator for Belasco, he had managed to convince most of the administration there to let him represent them in the Senate, and so was granted the position within the Commonori Systems Alliance.

After he had received the message to approach the senate hall, he had walked up from his seat and down the hall to the Senate chambers, he had chosen a seat at the table on the right side, sitting down as the other Senators discussed plans for a charter and the voting of a Chancellor and Vice Chancellor. He merely waited for the group to move on in regards to legislation and military, what little did most realize was that Kell Jerrex was the Sith Darth Interitus. Lord Interitus the voice of the Dark Lord was a man strong and powerful within the Dark Side, who had worked for a growing group of Sith out in the Unknown Regions known as the Sith Brotherhood. He would work with art of political intrigue and deception in order to advance the Sith's goals of destroying the light and asserting Sith Dominance back into the Galaxy once more. The CSA was but the first step in such goals, and for now, he had done well in hiding his dark side aura, and Force talents away from others. Now he would wait patiently and bide his time in order to make his move on the Senate and the rest of the government.

Besides his true nature, he appeared as a humble young man, who was only interested in the help of the common man and had a fair set of ideas that he had wanted to offer to the table, which in hindsight would help, but would mostly help in the SIth's cause. For now, he had just waited to take a few glances at other senator's with his green eyes and waited for the board to move onto legislation matters while he had said nothing.

[member="Viktor Alexander"] [member="Corey Brave"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Kiran Arlos"]

"The representative of Talasea agrees."

Yusana kept her stoic, steely expression (or lack thereof) as proceedings went further on, her eyes only drifting away from her colleagues as they lowered their gaze to her datapad resting on her lap, where she discreetly made notes and accompanying comments. For as professional and unphased as she tried to make herself seem, she was a rookie in the sordid world of politics - of any sort. She has experience as a runner, mercantile negotiator and even as a mediator for disputes, but nothing on this scale.

Clearly from the way they conducted themselves those in attendance were professionals, and she would do well, she surmised, to learn from them and ingratiate herself to them if need be. It was quite an effort not to disrupt her own tranquility with the irksome self-loathing doubt that maybe the boots were this job were too big for her own feet.

The Echani then also turned to the sovereign, awaiting a formal conclusion to the subject and an opener to the next one, lest she be presume to speak out of turn.

[member="Darth Interitus"] [member="Viktor Alexander"] [member="Corey Brave"] [member="Lady Kay"] [member="Kiran Arlos"]

Natalie sighed as she realized that she was running behind schedule, for the sake of giving a good first impression. Fashionably late is better than being late while ugly after all, and possibly the same could be said for her sister. The clicking of her heels down the hallway indicated a woman of power was approaching, and that's what she wanted them to think. Behind her, Carina, her sister, strode with a more non-chalent effort, which resulted in a scowl from Natalie.

"Take this." Throwing a ring back to her then opening the door while the group were in mid-discussion. Awkwardly, she places her hands infront of her and begins a slow walk over to the last few remaining seats, sitting down on it. As soon as the discussions had at least come to a brief pause, she would begin to speak. "I apologize for my tardiness. I am Senator LaForte, call me Natalie if we're on good terms and I have been chosen to represent Cato Neimodia. It will be a pleasure working alongside everyone here." With a blank expression, folding her arms and then sitting back in her chair.

[member="Yusana Fenni"] - [member="Darth Interitus"] - [member="Viktor Alexander"] - [member="Corey Brave"] - [member="Lady Kay"] - [member="Kiran Arlos"]

Kay-Larr

Kay nodded to [member="Corey Brave"] as he was on the same page as herself and [member="Viktor Alexander"] . However, when Viktor asked that they move ahead with the next item, she raised a brow slightly. Did he not hear her suggest the very same thing? Maybe he had selective hearing. Regardless, she couldn't let that bother her too much. Afterall, he seemed to have no qualms or protests about her being the Chancellor. A fact that surprised her.

She nodded to [member="Yusana Fenni"] as she, too had agreed with the overall Senate structure thus far. [member="Darth Interitus"] had made her curious with his silence. Either he wasn't paying much attention, or he was paying too much. Surely if he objected to anything said, he'd speak up? One could only hope.

[member="Darth Mara"] came in next, just as Kay was about to speak. She bowed her head to the Senator of Cato Neimoidia. "Welcome Senator LaForte. Tardiness is to be expected at first as we're all not used to this new building yet. But let's not make it a habit.

As it is we have only just begun. We have all agreed that I will continue the role as Chancellor. A vice-chancellor will be chosen by a vote with no less than a 60/40% majority. All bills put forth will also have to win no less than that same majority in order to pass."

Kay looked to each of them then. "With that order of business taken care of, we shall move on. I'd like to hear your ideas for legislation, if you please." She had her own ideas, yet still she treated them all as though they were her guests and had the right to speak first.

[member="Kiran Arlos"]

Viktor took a small measure of a pause looking at his fellow Senators specifically giving the late ones a nod. After a few minutes Viktor spoke.

"Legislature involving what specifically? I not sure I am understanding what exactly you are asking opinions on?"

He paused.

"Do you mean the rules involving the drafting and submission of legislation before the Senate? Or are you requesting actual legislation?"

Viktor had thrown Kay a bone by letting her take charge of this Charter session. Now he was quickly beginning to wonder if he had made a horrible mistake in that regard. The obvious next part would either be to establish the rules regarding nomination of the position of Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor or to establish the rules and protocols for bringing a session to order, how many Senators are required to be present to call a session to order, how to propose a bill for consideration, the protocols for submitting votes for a bill, and bringing the session to a close. That or establishing the rules on how the CSA as a whole should operate and the rules governing the behavior of it's citizens. Sure each world was Sovereign in it's own right but it still needed to establish a universal set of rules to keep the CSA operating for the greater good of all members.

Kay seemed to definitely be out of her element but he was not in a hurry at the moment to really do anything about it. That and he was curious as to what the others would come up with. Especially the latecomers.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Darth Mara"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Darth Interitus"] [member="Corey Brave"]

Natalie coughed following up on Viktor's words. "If I may interject? I believe this is in regards to the legislation that member worlds must follow, rather than separate to the meeting's subject; in which case I will begin with my specialty: Trade and Economics. I believe it is essential for any union to survive; political, economic or both, if we have a strong free trade deal both externally and internally, so long as the other parties are practicing as us."

"Furthermore, it would be beneficial if we establish at least some form of commonly recognized currency other than the Galactic Credit in order to provide a marketplace competitor for the eventual crash in its worth. I understand not all of the Senators present understand the value of strong economic policy, however I disagree with putting military first."

She prayed that she had won them over with big words and made dramatic pauses for good measure in between key statements. In true nature, she was some sort of a pacifist, only because she knew several people around the table supported the idea of a neutral foreign policy, but by pushing it back further she hoped that the main focus could be on her own statement rather than those speaking with her.

[member="Yusana Fenni"] - [member="Darth Interitus"] - [member="Viktor Alexander"] - [member="Corey Brave"] - [member="Lady Kay"] - [member="Kiran Arlos"]

Kay-Larr

Kay wasn't all that surprised at getting that kind of reaction from [member="Viktor Alexander"] . He was the type that didn't quite let common sense prevail. Instead he wanted everything spelled out it seemed. Or perhaps the fault was hers and she just didn't word her sentence out correctly. Either way, she wasn't surprised at his nit picking. "What I had meant, Senator Alexander, was regarding the laws by which all of our worlds must follow. We are a small group of planets with similar ideals, so it shouldn't be very difficult for us to get organized as a whole. Our small size allows us to gather around this table, instead of isolating eachother on pedistals. I encourage people to speak their minds as opposed to limiting themselves with strict protocol. Perhaps if our size increases further to double the numbers here, then strict protocols would be warranted. But not right now."

Her attention turned to [member="Darth Mara"] as she interjected, nodding a little as she agreed with some of her points. But not all of it could be addressed right at this moment."I agree, Senator LaForte, a strong economy is paramount, but what good is that to defend us from an invading force? Our military is just as important. We can't let our military personnel feel like they are second class. Most especially given that there are a lot of conflicts and trade barriers happening around us. We have no enemies right now, that is true, but that doesn't mean that our efforts to keep our people safe should be pushed aside. This is the day for for the groundwork, ladies and gentlemen. And to see what it is that each individual world needs from this central government body. It could be a long day, but we'll get it done."

[member="Corey Brave"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Kiran Arlos"] [member="Darth Interitus"]

Viktor chuckled. He had a good little chuckle at Kay's response.

"Protocols are placed in effect to maintain order. Order maintains civilization. Civilization keeps everyone safe. When Chaos erupts it is too late to establish protocols that should have already been in place to prevent the very thing you are now trying to undue. The best thing we can do not only for ourselves but for our people is to ensure that we have a clear standard by which we operate. It makes us all equals in a singular purpose. The growth, stability, and prosperity of this Alliance."

Viktor paused as he stood.

"A strong economy is important, a strong military is important. Do you know however what is also important. A strong, unified, and just Senate. A Senate that has yet to be created and as a result is not in the position to be involved in any sort of Legislation regardless of the focus of that Legislation."

Viktor paused picking up a piece of paper the piece of paper he had jotted down the notes on the positions in the Senate that have already been discussed and largely agreed upon. The rest......the majority of the paper was blank. He pointed at it as he began again.

"This is our Senate Charter. The Charter than serves as the foundation of this Alliance of planets. How it operates, why it operates, and what ensures that it stands the test of time. This is it. Three lines."

He paused.

"Does this look finished to you? Do the five of us in this room really believe an Alliance will survive the test of time based on just these three lines. Can this Senatorial body really Administer an Alliance on just these three lines?"

He paused.

"Ladies and Gentlemen we are far from done and we have lost sight on the goal. This Charter needs to not just list a few key positions. It needs to contain the very values on which this Alliance of Planets is founded. It needs to include how and why these key positions are filled. It needs to include How the Alliance will be defended and the rules by which it will be defended. Will it be done some by a universal fighting Force and if so how and why is that Force deployed. At the discretion of it's Commander or at the discretion of the Senate? What types of behavior will be tolerated? Will slavery be permitted or forbidden? Will the production, use, and transport of drugs be permitted within our territory or will it be forbidden? Will the members of this Senate be free to commit acts of bribery to see our individual goals achieved. Or do you want to create the foundation of our behavior and intent to be based on moral and ethical intent?"

Viktor paused.

"Ladies and Gentlemen if you came here today looking to push Legislation then you have come here for the wrong reason. If you came here looking to create the foundation of a moral and just society for the mutual betterment of all then let's get back to work. If you want to live in a Society based on hope...........the hope that everyone will just do what is best for the whole all of the time then more power to you. Hope is not a plan. Hope is a speeder without an engine. To you want to be proactive, do you want to be progressive, do you want to accomplish what others have tried and failed? Or do you just want to make it up as you go along and react to things have they come?"

Viktor took his seat setting the paper down. Taking a bit of a deep breath he looked at his fellow Senators. He had arrived here on Commenor with a clear cut plan of action. It now appeared to him that nobody else did. Including their would be Chancellor. Viktor had taken a chance, he had put his faith in her. A faith that was not well rewarded.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Darth Mara"] [member="Yusana Fenni"] [member="Darth Interitus"] [member="Corey Brave"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom