Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X Never Marks The Spot

Corvus saw two Jedi have success and that felt like it heightened the pressure to perform. But unlike the previous attempt, Corvus had no reference point and so nothing to work from.

So when it was her turn, she simply stared at the drop of blood on the finger - her mind a blank. Deep down, Corvus knew the problem. She didn't believe she could do it - and without belief there was nothing. Excusing herself, Corvus shook her head and retook her seat, allowing someone else the chance.

And Corvus vowed that, one day, she would learn the ability. Just not today...

[member="Veino Garn"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Spike Arrel"] | [member="Kana Truden"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Meeristali Peradun"] | [member="Phylis Alince"]

Kian rose to watch as the others attempted to heal the small pinpricks. Kian was by no means a skilled healer, however the injuries he had sustained in battle over the last few years with the Jedi had made it necessary that this sort of healing was known to him. He hung back and watched as the others came forward to try, and made note of what was being said and done. Looking over at [member="Corvus Raaf"], Kian was rather surprised. He knew the Jedi Knight to be able to do this....and yet she was struggling with it.

Walking over, Kian sat down besides her and smiled.

"Not much for healing?" Kian asked. "I never was much of a healer either." Kian said.

Kian watched as the others continued to work on healing and he began to let his mind wander. He wondered where the trip would lead them, and what they would find on this world that Master [member="Phylis Alince"] was leading them too.

[member="Veino Garn"] - [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] - [member="Spike Arrel"] - [member="Kana Truden"] -[member="Meeristali Peradun"]

[member="Veino Garn"], [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"], [member="Spike Arrel"], [member="Kana Truden"], [member="Corvus Raaf"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

The Jedi Master could feel the Force flowing into her, knitting the small wound together and returning it to pristine skin. She nodded in satisfaction.
“Excellent, my friends!” she said warmly.

Looking across at Corvus and Kian, she noticed they had not taken part. She didn’t mention it though. They were Jedi Knights, able to decide for themselves about what they chose. Also naturally Siobhan had not taken part as she was not very much in tune with the Light Side. It was odd none of the other Jedi had mentioned her quite dark aura.

Regardless, she had one lesson left.
“Hmm, and finally, Form III, Soresu. I can teach you the basics, and once we’re home I can show you in more detail how to do this. Anyone interested please come forward, don’t be shy.”

This writer promises that after replies there will be only two more ‘training’ posts before the action moves to the destination itself.

[member="Phylis Alince"], [member="Veino Garn"], [member="Spike Arrel"], [member="Kana Truden"], [member="Corvus Raaf"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

When one thought about it, the fact that no one seemed to mention Siobhan's quite dark aura could be taken as proof that the past allegations about the Jedi being a sect of ultra-Light Side religious fundamentalists who hunted down any alleged darksiders they saw, without proof of crime, and would not tolerate alternative interpretions of the Force were absolutely wrong.

Why, there had been a time when folks spoke of a warmongering 'Jedi Inquisition' and 'heretic burnings'. That had been before the One Sith took Coruscant and people suddenly wanted the Jedi to be warriors again, after saying that fighting darksiders was bad. But all these nonsensical claims could be dismissed, for there was a new ecumenical spirit. Yes...this writer just totally made that comparison.

Anyhow, with this meta comment out of the way, this one shall move on to the part of the post that's actually plot-relevant!

Surprisingly, Siobhan actually got and approached the group. "I'd be interested," she said simply and removed her lightsabre from her belt, igniting it. Surprise, it was blue, not red! She had a couple red ones at home though, but those were battle trophies.

Truth be told, Siobhan rarely used her lightsabre these days, beyond having employed it to teach the basics to Tempest, her apprentice. All of her big fights had been Force powers heavy and it was safe to say that she was rather out of practice with the blade. However, Soresu was a defensive style that particularly excelled in blaster deflection, which was something that seemed useful to her. Beskar'gam had excellent protective qualities, but even it had limits, and while she was very adept at Force Protection, it cost energy.

Though he smiled at the thought of learning a new form, the niggling awareness of their being in hyperspace was there. He should have thought of that! Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea. Had he ever brandished a weapon of any sort in these conditions? Scouring his memory revealed no instance in which he had. Not to mention... how long had it been since his last change?

"I will have to refrain, Master Alince," he said with a mild grimace, "though I have built considerable resistance to the effects of hyperspace on my kind... it has been too long since I last assumed my other form."

Not since I last saw Mara, he confirmed with himself. He could only hope it was grasped just what he meant. His eyes strayed to the darkest presence in the room, knowing that wouldn't help matters. Unwitting, the hairs on the back of his neck stood upright.

"But I'll watch," he gave a thin smile, returning his citrine gaze to Master Alince, "that will be fine."

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Corvus Raaf"] | [member="Kana Truden"] | [member="Spike Arrel"] | [member="Veino Garn"]​

Form III was certainly on Kana’s list of things she needed more practice in. To get the chance aboard a ship was a strange notion but she could deal with it even if it meant only getting more of the basics down.

“I’ll go with it.” Kana stepped forward. “No point in saying ‘No’ to the knowledge.”

She turned to Corvus. It was her chosen form, they would have to practice it a lot more when this trip was over. In fact they probably had to go over it completely. It would seem Kana had let the other forms suffer a bit with her fascination for Makashi. A problem that could be easily fixed, of course.

She withdrew her saber from her belt in case she needed it. Now, was it set to training by default or not?

[ [member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Corvus Raaf"] | [member="Meeristali Peradun"] | [member="Spike Arrel"] | [member="Uther Weiss"] | [member="Veino Garn"] ]

Kian rose and joined the others. As a Shien user, Kian had some familiarity with Soresu, but only in-so-much as the relationship between the two forms. Getting a better understanding of Soresu, independent of Shien, would be very beneficial.

"I'm in!" Kian said eagerly and clasped his hands behind his back and glanced at the others who were taking the lesson. He was eager to get started but waited patiently to see who else would join.

[member="Phylis Alince"] - @Kiobhan Kerrigan - [member="Corvus Raaf"] - [member="Spike Arrel"] - [member="Veino Garn"]

Veino nodded slowly, studying the room. Soresu was his main form, and the one he knew the most about. This would be an interesting lesson then, given the cramped quarters. He stood and paced around the bulwarks, tapping his finger against his lip. He nodded. This would be a very useful lesson, as Soresu was designed to minimize movements and keep them to a minimum. Practicing in enclosed quarters would be invaluable.

"I'm in," He said after a few moments, "Although I can assist you, Master [member="Phylis Alince"], if you want anyone for demonstration purposes." He looked the room over with a small smile again. Oh yes indeed. This would be a good lesson. Too many Ataru users around these days always jumping around like crickets using far too much energy and risking breaking their ankle by not paying attention. Sure, it works in wide open spaces. But smaller areas? Not so much.

Corvus sat and watched. Not because of her previous failure but because Soresu was her preferred Form. Something she'd practiced daily for the last two years since she'd arrived on Ossus.

But you never knew everything, so she paid close attention hoping t pick up at least one tip.

[member="Veino Garn"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Kana Truden"] | [member="Meeristali Peradun"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] | [member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Veino Garn"], [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"], [member="Spike Arrel"], [member="Kana Truden"], [member="Corvus Raaf"], [member="Kian Karr"], [member="Meeristali Peradun"]

Some might have thought that Phylis would make a snide comment about Siobhan wanting to learn something, but that wasn’t how the Jedi worked. Friendly to the core, she was happy that their non-Jedi passenger wanted to learn something from her. She still suspected that there would be absurd flirting about ‘showing her the proper grip’ or some such nonsense. Still, she would put up with that.

“Right, well, set your lightsabres to lowest power. We don’t want to drill a hole in the hull…or each other!”

“Soresu is a form of lightsabre combat which is primarily defensive, but can deliver a powerful counterstrike when the moment comes. The three key features of this form are; conservation of energy, movement, control.”
“Being on the defensive is not a bad thing, it makes the enemy fight on your terms. Conservation of energy is key here. Your defence is angular, deflecting and parrying with as little energy as needed. An enemy with Ataru or Juyo will seek to hack you to pieces, as with those with physical weapons, but Soresu enables to use their strength against them. Likewise with blaster bolts, this is not holobase…you’re not smacking blaster bolts back, you’re edging them away or back at your target.”
“Freedom of movement is vital. Trade space for time and position, seek the better ground. Retreating before an enemy gives no disgrace, and often emboldens them to rashness when they think you are frightened. So when an enemy attacks, give before them, but know when to take your moment.”
“Finally, control is vital. Knowing when to deflect, when to retreat, when to counter is most important. When an enemy is used to attacking, they often lose focus. That is when your counter-attack comes into play. Your blows are aimed for the extremities to disable your enemy. Only then, if needed, is the killing strike made.”

Having made her speech on philosophy, she put her thoughts into action. Her green lightsabre ignited and she took position in the ready stance. Her right hand was held back, blade parallel with her body, one leg stepped forward. From there she moved into a series of deflections, parries and retreats with unusual gracefulness. The somewhat bumbling eccentric was not to be seen whilst she was focussed.

“This is of course only scratching the surface. I urge all of you to seek me out when we return to Ossus for more instruction, or I can recommend some library texts. I am also willing to do private sessions to help teach.”
Too late she realised that Siobhan would make a witty comment to that…so hurried on.

“There is one final point. Many people, ‘experts’ and neophytes alike continue to expound how Makashi is superior to Soresu and will automatically defeat it. This is incorrect. Makashi is the counter of Soresu in a sense because it emphasises the point over the edge, deflecting your angles with the fencer’s stab. However, it is not unbeatable, it just requires more attention and care. Any questions?”

With a happy smile on her face she mimicked the Master’s movements. The stances, the attacks, the defences and parries. It was all good, but then she said it. The heresy, the blasphemous lie. Kana’s smile faded promptly. What would she mean Makashi wasn’t superior to Soresu? She wanted to speak up but to outright tell your teacher that they were wrong had gotten Kana into trouble before.

Then again, she had been a snide teenager back then and this time she could at least see the point of it all. One focused on saber combat and the other on blaster deflection. When practiced together they’d make quite the pair. Makashi left you open, whereas Soresu kept you safe, most of the time. Kana should asked Corvus about Form III training ages ago. Two mental slaps across the face for not doing that.

“Makashi leaves you open for potshots and holds you at a disadvantage against the more overpowering forms. What about Soresu? Does it hold it’s own against the fifth-... No wait you already covered that...”

[ [member="Corvus Raaf"] | [member="Kian Karr"] | [member="Spike Arrel"] | [member="Phylis Alince"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] |[member="Veino Garn"] | [member="Meeristali Peradun"] ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom