Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wuxia, A Faction Idea

Jsc

Disney's Princess
___
Wuxia, A Faction Idea

Wuxia, is a genre of Chinese fiction concerning the adventures of martial artists. Literally translating to 'Martial Hero'. This genre is a celebrated component of popular culture in many Chinese-speaking communities around the world. And? It is even awesome enough to reach my simple ears in little city USA. Haha. And before we continue to discover what this genre really is? I'd like to mention that I hope to one day make a faction around it.

To start. Wuxia is about Heroes. Marital Heroes. Typically, the heroes in Chinese wuxia fiction are not duty-bound to a lord, wield military power or belong to the aristocratic class. They are often from the lower social classes of ancient Chinese society. Wuxia heroes are usually bound by a code of chivalry that requires them to right wrongs and stop oppression. The wuxia hero often fights for righteousness and seeks to remove an oppressor, redress wrongs, or to bring retribution for past misdeeds. These Chinese xia traditions can be contrasted with martial codes from other countries, such as the Japanese samurai's bushido tradition, the chivalry of medieval European knights and the judgment-bringing gunslingers of America's Westerns.

Now let's talk story. A typical wuxia story is similar to a Fantasy. Often it features a young male protagonist who experiences a tragedy such as losing his loved ones. He undertakes several trials and tribulations throughout his adventures and learns several forms of martial arts from various fighters. At the end of the story, the protagonist emerges as a powerful fighter whom few can equal. He uses his abilities to follow the code of xia, (explained later), and offers himself chivalrously to mend the ills of the chaos.

Now let's talk about other patterns that make a Wuxia story an awesome genre. And hopefully, an awesome Faction.

___
A Heroes Code. The Xia.

Eight commonly seen attributes of the Heroes Code are listed as:
* altruism
* justice
* individualism
* loyalty
* courage
* truthfulness
* the sacrifice of wealth
* and the desire for a greater glory.

Now. Apart from individualism, these characteristics are similar to Confucian values. Helping to foster a better society by following a righteous path. I'll skip embracing each attribute individually and simply gloss over them for now. But compare these tenets to the Jedi Code and you will begin to see George Lucas smiling back at you. Haha. Though even George would credit Ancient Mythologies more than Chinese literature to his creation of the Jedi Order.

Moving on.

___
A Martial Order, for a Martial Art

The martial arts in wuxia stories are based on real wushu techniques and other familiar Chinese martial arts. However, the mastery of such skills are highly exaggerated in wuxia tales to superhuman levels of achievement and prowess. It's just like being a Jedi.

Similarly, the following is a list of skills and abilities a typical fighter or martial artist in a wuxia story might possess:
* 1. They know Martial Arts. Not brawling prowess, but sacred traditional disciplines. It's art.
* 2. They have mastered at least one of the Four Major Weapons of China. The Chinese Dao (Saber), The Jian (Sword), The Gun (Staff), and the Qiang (Spear). However, tradition aside, they are generally skilled at whatever weapon they choose to possess.
* 3. They possess Qingqgong. A supernatural martial art. In wuxia stories and films, however, its use is highly exaggerated to the point that characters can circumvent gravity to fly, cover tremendous distances in a single stride, glide across surfaces of water, scale high walls and mount trees. Jedi anybody?
* 4. They possess Neili. The ability to harness their qi (pronounced Chi). Characters use this energy to attain skills such as superhuman strength, speed, stamina, durability and improved bodily healing.
* 5. They sometimes possess Dianxue. An ability in which characters use various acupuncture techniques to kill, paralyse, immobilise or control opponents by attacking their acupressure points with their bare hands or weapons. Such techniques can also be used for healing purposes, such as halting excessive bleeding. Real life martial artists do use such techniques to paralyse or stun their opponents, however, their effectiveness is highly exaggerated in wuxia stories.

How does this translate? Wuxia Faction member would simply be Light-Sided Force Users as we know them today. Albeit with the ceremonial tendency towards being various Artists of Martial Technique. It's Art baby.

___
The Jianghu, The Warrior's Community

The jianghu, or warrior's community, is made up of several martial artists who are usually congregated in sects, clans, disciplines and various schools of martial arts. It is also inhabited by others such as wanderers, nobles, thieves, beggars, priests, healers, merchants and craftsmen. The best wuxia writers draw a vivid picture of the intricate themes of honour, loyalty, love and hatred between the individuals and communities within this broad spectrum.

Why a need for violence, you say? Why fight at all? Well. A common aspect of the warrior's community is the popular suggestion that the courts of law are dysfunctional. And that all disputes and differences can only be resolved by use of force. As such, predicating the need for the Code of Heroes and acts of chivalry to abound. Law and order within the jianghu is maintained by the various orthodox and righteous sects and their most powerful heroes. Generally through duels. Duels of the sword, or duels of the mind. Now. Sometimes, these sects may gather to form an alliance against even greater evil foes. But most importantly being a member of the Warrior's Community means respecting your fellow Martial Artists. No matter their color or creed.

Translation to a Faction? Don't be like the Sith. We may solve our problems by dueling for them. But we are Light-sided Gentlemen and Ladies to the core. Fighting is the Faction's lifestyle. And remember. A Pacifist loses every Duel. Even a Martyr must carry his cross.

___
A Light-Sided Faction

Maybe your thinking that this all sounds just like the Jedi Order? Well. It's not. The Jedi Order favors government. The Wuxia Faction works around it. These are gentleman vigilantes. The Batmen. Dark Knights and Tea-sipping Good Guys, all. And they don't answer to anybody but the Heroes Code and the Force itself. As such, some Wuxia members wander the Lawless areas of the Galaxy. Avoiding the Lawful Metropolis in favor of seeking to bring Justice to where none exists.

Now. How is a wealth-less, leaderless faction suppose to operate? In short, Wuxia members seek out patrons to support them. Like becoming the King's own Wizard or the Major's very own Secret Police. In a galaxy full of power struggles, it is easy to find someone willing to trade you their roof in return for your sword. Members often seek the refuge of Religious Temples and like-minded fellows. Guests of some importance one might say. Not all Wuxia members are wanderers you know. Some are very territorial and can stay in one spot for years. Rooting out evil in all it's forms. Just as long as your Patron doesn't mind you overlooking a few laws once-in-a-while to get your way.

___
Killing People

Wuxia members are allowed a small intrepration here. Killing is bad for all followers of the Light Side of the Force. That is a given. And murder is a crime. No different for the Wuxia than it is for any other man. However, the Heroes Code demands that justice be done. And if you feel that the punishment fits the crime? Well then, kill the fellow. Because remember, the courts are all corrupt to you. Only you can dispense real justice. Or not...

___
Feedback

So yeah. Would you ever consider joining a Light-Side Faction that isn't the Jedi? Would you mind losing a Lightsaber in favor of a real sword or a custom weapon? (Yes they'll be resistant. Duh.) Would you like to avoid all the arguments about pacifism, politics, and government; and just duel people to prove your point is the right one? Would you like to avoid all the busy work of 'owning' planets in favor of just roaming them for adventure? ...Then maybe becoming a Wuxia Hero is just for you?

Give your feedback here. Thanks.

i have a question: You said they seek out sponsors in the form of temples? So would this be purely oriental religion temples or religious temples in general?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Sponsers

I painted this introduction in broad strokes. So I hope to go into more detail later (if) a faction comes about. But that is a wonderful question and I would be happy to answer it.

A Wuxia Hero is loyal to two things. The Heroes Code and the Light Side of the Force. Since the two go hand-in-hand, its a happy relationship. So how can you have a Sponsor and not be duty-bound to them? Answer: Your a Guest. A very badazz Guest.

Philosophy is a personal journey here. Interpretations can run wild. I've made the reference to Confucianism so I understand your concern. But the short answer is no. You can sponsor in any Temple that will take you. Mostly because you don't care about their ideas of chivarly or honor. You care about yours. ...And if your ideas are similar to their ideas? Well, then it is a happy partnership. You gain a place to live and eat. They gain a total badazz sword-fighter who can use the Force. Everybody wins.

Only few will understand
xin-zhao_splash-590x348.jpg

This is essentially one of the real-life inspirations for the Jedi.

I think it would be best to jump start this as a subgroup or subculture of the Jedi Order before any kind of faction.

Apparatus has a point although I believe it is a bit off. The primary inspiration for the Jedi are the Samurai and their bushido. I am not sure if it is a fact but I have heard that Lucas' name for the jedi came from the movie genre "jidaigeki" which was a genre that told the lives of samurais and people during different periods of Japan history. This theory, if its not a fact, seems even more legit when George Lucas' idol Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai anyone?) was an infamous director of jidaigeki movies.
Although I also see Chinese influences in the work of the Jedi, especially those of the Zen Buddism followers. It might be a coincidence but it does have similiarities. It wouldn't be illogical for this to start as a subgroup of the Jedi and work itself as a faction later (or simply has its history that it's been a "sect" within the Jedi Order that's been censured and eventually these guys leave the Jedi Order if the mods allow it) since there are a lot of such movements in the history of the Jedi (Potentium, Grey Paladins and so on). It's up to you though, Jay.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Subgroup

Nope. To be a Jedi is to embrace Jedi tradition, Jedi history, Jedi hierarchy, Jedi weaponry, and Jedi perspective. Like the Baran Do tradition of the Kel Dor race, this Faction's traditions would have existed and evolved separately. It is not a splinter group. It is a new sphere.

This sounds less like a faction and more like a personal philosophy. Wukai wouldn't be capable of launching full-scale invasions unless their backers funded one, and in that case, you're less of hero and more of a soldier for hire. We have neutral Force Users who follow their own philosophies already - the Wukai could be one of the many. To be a faction, though, you'd have to essentially be capable of ruling planets, or establishing some sort of governing presence. This is why the Jedi favor governing bodies, though that's a generalizing statement. See Kyp Durron.

Speaking of Kyp, I believe he had his own sect of the Jedi Order who believed in their own philosophy, wandering the galaxy and helping individuals instead of serving the New Republic like Luke did. Yet, Kyp was still a member of the Jedi Order. Also, see the Jeensari, who I also believe adopt similar methods, though they use their skills to fight Force Users. These ideas can be popular due to the unique "toe the gray line" perspective.

Great idea in the drafting room, but a failed idea in action. It's allowed, but all I'll say is good luck.

I like the idea of traditional weapons that this guys are using, I also like how they are justice crazed or at least thats what I understood just like blood elf paladins level 90 but...
* 4. They possess Neili. The ability to harness their qi (pronounced Chi). Characters use this energy to attain skills such as superhuman strength, speed, stamina, durability and improved bodily healing.
Isn't that supposed to be what we call the Force?

Oh and about the weapons, check the Grey Paladins' Power and Abilities section on wookiepedia, I am sure you would find it interesting although it has nothing to do with melee weapons.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Teferi Efreet said:
To be a faction, though, you'd have to essentially be capable of ruling planets, or establishing some sort of governing presence.
Ah. I suppose I didn't understand that this 'governing' system was mandatory for all classified Minor Factions. My apologies. As such, it goes against the philosophy of the Wuxia to rule others. So I suppose this idea really won't work after all.

Bummer dude. :(

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I R so Confuse'ed'd.

Oh... Wait. Wait. I get it. Yeah. I see. ...Should it ever get classified as a Major Faction it would be unable to facilitate Invasions, Dominions, and Faction Scale PvP because of the natural lack of leadership and governing authority. ....Ah. Yep. Get it now. I R Slowz Today. Haha.

Thanks Teferi.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I think I'll wait for now. Grab some friend IRL and see if I can't talk them into going Main for this. Besides, the site is being updated every week with new cool stuff. I'm sure I'll have my hands plenty full with all kinds of fun characters. Haha.

Thanks guys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom