Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should Biotechnology be submitted?

So, I recently had the inspiration to create a genetic modification program for Jaeger Solutions (my company) after a merger with a separate corporation. It revolved around making a super soldier program through various organ replacements, enhancements and more; but a generally science fiction attempt at pushing the envelope of non force users. It took me only a few minutes to write up two submissions worth thus far, but before I continue I want more clarification than what I've gotten over the past few months.

Heres where my concerns now come;

When I started the program, I already knew that the site has an abhorrent reputation with trying to decide if something belongs in the codex, or the factory when it comes to anything Vong, Bio organic, or otherwise 'questionable'. I know this, because I've had a number of submissions bounced between them or run around the circle on because nobody could be bothered to figure out one way or another if it was actually this or that. Because of this, I asked about where I should put the submissions in;

Suffice to say, the idea was 'Augmentation Drugs' could be put under technology, but the ideas I had were more likely for a 'to be announced' Lore section.

Well, pushing past that I decided to try my luck and post to The Factory with strictly organic augmentations. The results, rather than the process, which each was promptly archived and sent to 'Codex-Factory Limbo'. My issue comes in that it is nearly impossible to actually sub the organs as 'species' because the template is focused on what the species is, what its culture is, how it eats, lives, breathes and more; but my submissions have absolutely nothing to do with any of that.

The reason I make a question about this now is this;

I've had a number of submissions accepted through the factory despite 'biological' intent, even some of the exact same ideas being biotechnology that wasn't sentient.

Rife Glands, for example are a series of tentacles that are definitely apart of the person in question, but are considered technology despite their organic nature.

Same with the Hel-Class Bio Slug, where nobody questioned the actual details of the slug itself.

But I have also had other submissions moved from factory to codex, but the reasoning was more sound. In these cases, it was generally considered species purposed because it had sentience at the later version, being that of the Sraosha.

Now, I've heard more from many in the community that attempting to sub most biological ideas simply can't be done less so on the dynamics involved with writing it, so much as trying to walk the minefield that has become what constitutes 'technology'. I'm questioning now where I should sub these things, if they don't abide by anything but technology in definition, but factory wants nothing to do with them?

I'm looking for a more concrete answer on these, because attempting to sub these a few times over is just demoralizing when rewriting the entire sub to fit a totally different template is the only viable answer.

My reccomendation is sub these augmented soldiers as a species. I understand the wall you see before you. However, the best way to go about it would be to make it as a species after the augmentation, especially if there are multiple augmentations.

[member="The Slave"]

[member="The Slave"]

Just to clarify: are you asking where to sub 'Augmentation Drugs', soldiers who are already augmented or an organism with tentacles that are part of a person?

Because the answer will differ, but right now i am not entirely sure what specific thing you need clarification on.

[member="The Slave"]

My advice is this:
  1. If you are experiencing an issue with where your technology belongs, raise it via group PM or discussion thread, tagging the staff of the Factory if you believe the submission is technology, and to the Codex staff if you believe it to be species.
    Factory staff: [member="Zef Halo"] | [member="Lily Kuhn"] | [member="Jamie Pyne"]
  2. Codex Staff: [member="Zeradias Mant"] | [member="Allyson Locke"]

• If what you are submitting is at all sentient, it belongs in the Codex, unless it is Artificial Intelligence.
  • If what you are submitting is a biological technology, it belongs in the Factory.
  • If what you are submitting is a lab-grown organ, limb, brain, etc, it belongs in the Factory.
  • If what you are submitting is a plant species, Vong organism that is not directly intended as a technological weapon, it belongs in the Codex.
    IF what you are submitting is a Vong or other alien bio-organism whose sole purpose is something along the lines of exploding, or causing black holes, etc, developed by the species itself (Vong, for example) it should be submitted as technology, unless it has the capacity for free-will and sentient thinking.
  • IF it was an experiment that has become its own free-thinking entity, sentient in nature, and/or capable of reproduction without the intervention of another technology or species, it belongs in the Codex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom