Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Welcoming New Members To This Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
@[member="Steinbeck"] Like all words it can be said in such a way that it is insulting and demeaning. Since text is sometimes had to convey meaning and intent, it is best not to use the word in case it is taken the wrong way.

We want new people to feel welcome and to feel like there is no bias held against them just because they are new.

So you're saying I shouldn't post this to every new member?

f5cb383f320cd9abb64d5f2594bea78851066ee9beb0935fd76176d413a2d7d9.jpg

Ignasius Van-Derveld

I'm the mother flippin'
Context is everything in this regard.

"Don't feel bad, we were all newbies/noobs/newbletes/noobbles/noobnoobs at one stage!"

You could use that phrase derogatorily, but it is more likely a genuinely reassuring sentiment in intention.

The newer the person the more likely they are to be offended by it though I guess, maturity would be a big factor too.

Thessa Kai said:
Seriously?

I've probably said something like that before with no intention of degradation.

I was probably called that when I first joined and was like, yeah, I'm a noob. *shrug* It means I get 3 months of probation and grace period!! :p

This rule seems a little micromanagement-y. I think you can tell if someone has intentions of being derogatory if they say newb or not.

Delila Castillon said:
So saying "Welcome new person!" is degratory? Talk about being overly-PC

I'll throw this in there with the "You're killing my creativity" complaints. Call it what you will, but the Staff Team has been instructed to enforce this.

Certainly not in the "You're killing my creativity" complaint category at all. I merely find the new rule to be unnecessary. Members are not allowed to troll/flame/harass others in any way, so this just seems extremely redundant.

Lord Ghoul

L
"
  • Harassment and abusive behavior is absolutely not allowed. This includes trolling members and racial, sexist, religious, ethnic, sexual or political remarks that can be considered derogatory. "

I agree about how this is merely a directive announcement for enforcement of pre-existing rules. But this is basically saying that if I call someone a "newbie" to the site then I am harassing them, because "Newbie, noob, and newblet" are all now deemed derogatory terms, when in fact many members use this as a term of endearment for newcomers. It seems too stringent and well-intentioned members who didn't see this staff announcement are going to get in trouble.

It is fairly easy to tell when someone is using the word in a harassing and abusive way and when it is meant as a term of endearment. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Anyway, that's my complaint.

Ultimately I don't think it's that big of an issue. You're paying for the site after all and we're using it free of charge. So yeah, I believe the hashtag is #Tyrannyreigns

Boom, Shorn said it perfectly. @[member="Tefka"], I really appreciate you letting us share our opinions and I know one of your goals for this site is the open concept of sharing ideas. Even if management decision trumps, which, I get.

I hope you all update the below to include the words 'newb, newbie' etc., so other members may not accidentally get in trouble for this. Thanks!

◾Harassment and abusive behavior is absolutely not allowed. This includes trolling members and racial, sexist, religious, ethnic, sexual or political remarks that can be considered derogatory.

Baros Sal-Soren said:
Zomg someone is new! *banned*
A funny quip, I'm sure - but we don't trigger finger ban here, as I'm sure you know. We inform, we warn, then we suspend temporarily.

Only the people who consistently break the rules intentionally get banned.

Thessa Kai said:
Boom, Shorn said it perfectly. @[member="Tefka"], I really appreciate you letting us share our opinions and I know one of your goals for this site is the open concept of sharing ideas. Even if management decision trumps, which, I get.

I hope you all update the below to include the words 'newb, newbie' etc., so other members may not accidentally get in trouble for this. Thanks!

◾Harassment and abusive behavior is absolutely not allowed. This includes trolling members and racial, sexist, religious, ethnic, sexual or political remarks that can be considered derogatory.
I'll leave it to the community once again to police themselves, but your concern is noted. All I'm asking is that we be respectful - there's no need to change or add rules for something that is considered common decency and as stated previously, is already covered. Once again, calling people newbies isn't deemed respectful, so I ask kindly that you not do it.

This thread is just going to go in circles, so I'm closing it. The message is out there, and I feel like it's been received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom